Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moniruth
Stats: 209/198/150
WOE: Atkins Induction/Low Carb
Start Date: Restart Sept 6th 2014
Exercise, and all that jazz...

Hey all,

Major breakthrough for me today in that a friend of mine has asked me to become her gym buddy, she has started a weight loss challenge at her gym and knows that I have just restarted Atkins.

I agreed! And my husband is all for it. So, yay! I will be going to a gym and not just walking around in the rain.

Anyone here go to a gym regularly and what do you do afterwards when you get that crab craving? I have been a gym member before and 30 mins after working out I would want to house a bag of fries. And I usually did!

Any gym tips? Hope you can wise me up on this as I am pretty nervous about this kind of commitment, also financially. I have to make it work! Thanks in advance!

moniruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I work out five days per week -- intense interval cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; upper-body weight training on Tuesdays, and lower-body weight-training on Thursdays. I have a lot of fun and I really love it!

I'm *weird* in that I've never had cravings, ever, in my life. But in terms of hunger, there is some evidence that exercise *intensity* may lead to patterns of post-exercise overeating in women. The bulk of exercise studies on post-exercise food consumption have been done on lean men and most of those studies show that lean men experience appetite suppression for an hour to as much as several hours after intense exercise. They may or may not eat more at a later meal, but the hormones and stimulants that are released by intense exercise blunts their appetites for a period of time immediately following the exercise session. Studies on women, however, show the opposite effect and show that women may tend to have a larger appetite after high-intensity exercise versus lower-intensity exercise. As in this study:

Effects of exercise intensity on food intake and appetite in women
Effects of exercise intensity on food intake and appetite in women

And further evidence suggests that women receive different post-exercise hunger cues at different levels of bodyfat.
"Obesity interferes with leptin's detection of exercise energy expenditure and with appetite suppression," Borer said. "Obese women perhaps need to consciously watch their calories because some of the hormonal satiety [fullness] signals don't seem to work as well."
Exercise Reduces Hunger In Lean Women But Not Obese Women
Exercise Reduces Hunger In Lean Women But Not Obese Women
If you tend to experience increased hunger after exercise, perhaps your best approach would be to plan your largest meal of the day to follow your workout. Then you could satisfy your appetite without going off plan and without eating more than you've planned to eat. This is the approach that many bodybuilders take because exercise stimulates the release of hormones that increase protein synthesis, so post-exercise nutrients have a more beneficial effect on their body composition by feeding muscle growth rather than just their energy needs.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thanks Trillex! That is really practical advice. I will most likely be working out first thing in the morning as that is the only time that will not suck up all of our family time.

Then I can come home and have a big protein breakfast. Brilliant.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniruth View Post
Wow, thanks Trillex! That is really practical advice. I will most likely be working out first thing in the morning as that is the only time that will not suck up all of our family time.

Then I can come home and have a big protein breakfast. Brilliant.
Have fun in the gym! As long as you're having fun, you'll stick with it and get your money's worth!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

A little update from me:

So I joined as a trial member and went to my first class this morning, I did Body Combat which was fun and not as hard as I was expecting however I of course couldn't do it all, but I kept moving and got to the end of the class. And I enjoyed it and had fun!

My next class is planned for Friday morning 6am (!) which will be a cycling/spinning class.

Am off to eat my omelette!

I have cut down on dairy and hope to see a scale shift soon. This morning was 200.6, and I am not doing anything wrong. I hope the exercise will show in a week or so. I have changed shape but no movement on the scales, I fit into my clothes properly and they are getting looser. But no weight loss!

Patience..!