Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 267/229.2/190
WOE: 2-5 carbs per day
Start Date: 10/21/13
Anti-inflammatorys???

Will this drug PIROXICAM (common name Feldene) Make me gain or retain weight. Just want to know before I start it. I have a cream that I can use also but doc said it does not work as well. Have tarsal Tunnel in my left foot and have to get ahead of the nerve damage with medication before surgery becomes my only option to get rid of it. Please let me know, thanks. Of course at the end of the day the medication will be used either way. Just want to adjust foods or carbs to keep my pound a day average loss going for another few weeks.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 295.0/283.2/195.0
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/4/2014
NSAIDS do have weight gain as a side effect. More likely with steroids like prednisone though. I would take it and see if it causes issues... just my 2 cents!

By the way, what is the cream? The nurse in me is curious
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

It is a compound of some sort. just called joint pain compound cream???? Thats all I got, forgot the name and cannot find the paperwork. says nothing on the lable of the cream bottles. I do know that it was compound by the pharmacy.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 295.0/283.2/195.0
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Its probably either a topical anti-inflammatory or pain medication. The oral medication will work better for sure, hope its starts feeling better soon!
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseybelle27 View Post
NSAIDS do have weight gain as a side effect.
I just saw this thread and a similar question was asked today on the Induction Babies thread. So I thought I would respond here, too, in case you might find the info helpful.

The authors of New Atkins for a New You say:
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and ketoprofen (Orudis) cause water retention and may block fat burning. Other OTC drugs can also interfere with weight loss.

No One Made Me Eat It: Trends and Hard Facts
The authors of New Atkins for a New You -- Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, and Eric Westman -- are all researchers and experts on low-carb diets. They don't just write diet books, they all also do university-based clinical studies of ketogenic diets so I believe they know what they're talking about.

But I find this claim about NSAIDs (especially since they mention aspirin) a bit strange because bodybuilders commonly take aspirin to increase fat loss while they're on low-carb ketogenic diets. Aspirin is a vasodilator, which is taken to expand blood vessels and support fat transport from fat cells into the muscle tissue that will burn the fat, so bodybuilders specifically "stack" aspirin with other supplements to increase fat loss before competitions. It's also extremely common for them to take aspirin before workouts to support increased blood flow and faster tissue recovery after workouts due to aspirin's support of the circulatory flow of nutrients into muscle tissue.

Aspirin also inhibits what's called "prostaglandin synthesis" -- which is one of the reasons people take aspirin to avoid unwanted blood clotting caused by the action of prostaglandins when they are suffering from cardiovascular disease. This effect on prostaglandin activity is important in a fat loss context because prostaglandins can depress the metabolism by inhibiting the work of the hormone norepinephrine (also called noradrenaline). One of the advantages of a low-carb ketogenic diet is the diet's ability to allow higher systemic levels of norepinephrine, which supports a faster metabolic rate. So bodybuilders commonly take aspirin while on low-carb ketogenic diets to support the diet's ability to protect the action of norepinephrine.

I know that aspirin isn't the drug you're talking about, but I wanted to point out this information about aspirin because the fact that the New Atkins authors list aspirin among the drugs that could "inhibit fat loss" makes me wonder about the accuracy of their claim. "Weight gain" through water retention isn't the same thing as "inhibiting fat loss" so I'm not sure why the New Atkins authors wouldn't consider that aspirin is commonly used by an entire group of athletes who competitively cut bodyfat on a regular basis. Aspirin has been used by bodybuilders for several decades and it has been thoroughly studied.

I must say that not everything that bodybuilders do to cut fat is effective or advisable (or safe) for the average dieter, but there are legitimate metabolic reasons and supporting clinical studies to show that aspirin engages several mechanisms that contribute to fat burning. I would never suggest that someone try to use aspirin the way that bodybuilders use it, but I'm not sure that aspirin should be included in a list of drugs that may "block fat burning" without giving a better explanation of *why* they believe these drugs will impede fat burning. I respect the work and knowledge of these authors -- and I'm sure this conclusion is based on their research -- but I haven't been able to find more substantial information on how they came to this conclusion.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Trillex, Honestly I am not to worried about water retention. I am worried about fat retention as I have way to much and no longer want to retain it, in anyway shape or form. I am just on a mission to get the fat off as fast as possible to get on with my life at a lot smaller easier to carry around weight.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Honestly I am not to worried about water retention. I am worried about fat retention as I have way to much and no longer want to retain it, in anyway shape or form.
I am TOTALLY on the same page with you, there! The day when my bodyfat is low enough that water retention is my main problem, that will be an amazingly great day.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rxr8d
Stats: 233/229/160
Start Date: April 2013
Try compound pain cream

As a compounding pharmacist topical pain creams can work wonders. Especially for what you described. Creams allow ingredients to concentrate where needed with less systemic effects from oral meds. Just make sure to use a pharmacy that will bill your insurance and explain to you the ingredients.
rxr8d is offline   Reply With Quote