Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brownies
Stats: 215/209/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-5-2013
I've lost 8 pounds in 4 days. Unhealthy?

I'm a bit on the heavy side. I was 215 and now I'm 207. I'm not complaining about the weight loss, but just wondering if it's unhealthy. I've been eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Vegetables and lean meats and some of the Atkins frozen meals, and mainly water or flavored sparkling water. I've even had a few of the Atkins indulge bars with half a glass of half and half, which I'm sure I shouldn't be eating on induction and yet I'm still losing weight daily.

Is this unhealthy or is this what to expect in the beginning?

Last edited by Brownies; 03-09-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I think for right now, it's great! Most people in induction have a large mount of weight fall right off in the first week or two, depending on what their diet was like before starting Atkins. The standard American diet is so carb heavy that you should see a big loss right away. This will slow down after the first week or two and you might even stall for a little while after that. Not to worry - it's completely normal!

The only thing I might suggest is finding out what exactly you are eating. Using an online food calculator is a great way to make sure you are not overdoing it on carbs and getting enough fat. Veggies and lean meats don't sound like you are getting in enough dietary fat.

Seems like you have a great start though!

Janet's Second Wind
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brownies
Stats: 215/209/150
Start Date: 3-5-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
I think for right now, it's great! Most people in induction have a large mount of weight fall right off in the first week or two, depending on what their diet was like before starting Atkins. The standard American diet is so carb heavy that you should see a big loss right away. This will slow down after the first week or two and you might even stall for a little while after that. Not to worry - it's completely normal!

The only thing I might suggest is finding out what exactly you are eating. Using an online food calculator is a great way to make sure you are not overdoing it on carbs and getting enough fat. Veggies and lean meats don't sound like you are getting in enough dietary fat.

Seems like you have a great start though!

Okay, thank you. I will take your advice into consideration.
Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Don't worry. It's mostly just water weight being shed. Trust me, things will slow down very soon.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarends
Enjoy the quick loss - it will slow down. I was 238 and dropped 15 lbs 1st 14 days in induction. I am in my 3rd week of induction now (will end Tuesday) and I have a strong feeling the loss is going to be much less than my previous 7.5 lbs/week! But, reading this forum has prepared me for a 3rd week induction loss of 3 - 5 lbs., which will still be great if it happens!

Hang in there and measure results once per week!
sarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yep, it's water. Most of what you lose in the first ten days to two weeks of Induction is water, as your body switches to ketosis. It'll slow down as you start losing fat, so don't freak out, okay?

When we start heavier, we carry more water in our body, so we lose more dramatically in the beginning as we shed that water.

You didn't ask for advice, but I'm going to give it anyway: try to skip the processed stuff, like the Atkins bars and meals. Every once in a while is fine for some people, but it's always better to eat real food, and stick to the allowed foods list. And a whole glass of half and half? Remember that Induction only allows for limited dairy, like a few ounces in a day.

Good luck to you! Glad to see you here.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
No worries pal. Things are working as they should. Keep it up. Like others have said, try to eat real food, skip the packaged stuff
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote