Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenacres
Stats: 232/232/150
WOE: Atkins Nutrtional Approach
Start Date: March 11, 2013
I need to lose 100 lbs. NOTHING has worked for me - will this?

I have been on and off of here before, never really truly committing myself. I am finally ready to do just that. How do I get started? I'm sick of my belly hanging over my pants, out of breath, I'm just competely miserable in this body. I am 43....it's either this or I am resorting to weight-loss surgery soon because I know I've hit the 100 pound "overweight" in order to have the surgery and I don't want to go that route if I don't have to. I just got off the VISALUS kick and that did not work for me. I just had my oncology appt. because I am a breast cancer survivor (since 2010) and they said it was full of soy so I should stop it (NICE!) - it wasn't working anyway. My son (10) and I were on it since last October using it M-F for BR and Lunch and nothing, nothing! I want this to work for me, it worked over 10 years ago when I did it, lost about 15 lbs. I know this will benefit my entire family as my husband is a diabetic. How do I get started? THANK YOU so much to anyone that can help me or be a buddy with me during this first couple of weeks of induction because I am goingto need it! I am going to start this coming Monday. I need to grocery shopping I'm sure over the weekend for some good food to eat and get everything in order.

Sandy
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hey Sandy,

I want to tell you that you CAN do this, and low carb is a great way to do it. I was at 275 a year ago, and I'm down almost 60 pounds. I feel great, and I have been able to enjoy myself and what I'm eating while I have been losing.

I started by reading the book Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It gave me the motivation and knowledge I needed to start what I knew would be a long journey. I encourage you to read it, if you are so inclined. It reads quickly, and is very inspiring.

I had to be mentally prepared for this to be a long journey. I've actually been okay with the slow pace of loss, as I've adjusted to this being my lifetime way of eating, and not merely a diet.

I hope you will explore this website. There is so much great advice. Be sure to check the menu ideas, and ask questions.

Best of luck to you!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I started the Atkins diet on 11 May 2012. I started the diet at 235 pounds, which is a few pounds more than you weigh right now. My waist measurement was 38", my hips were 46", I had chronic lower back pain, and my stamina was so bad that I couldn't even walk a few blocks without feeling like I was going to die. I've been doing Atkins induction according to the book Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 version) -- exactly following the book -- and I've been exercising 5 days per week, for 30-45 minutes per session, with a trainer (who is a friend of mine so he's training me for free).

I've been on Atkins for a little bit more than 9 months and at my last weigh-in/measurement day (I only weigh and measure my body once per month) I weighed 167 pounds, my waist measurement was 30.75", my hips were 39.50", I haven't had any back pain since my second or third month on the diet, and I now walk several miles into town just because it's faster than waiting for the bus. If you click on my profile, you can find photos of my fat loss progress in my photo album.

I haven't had the health problems that you've had. And I don't have a history of dieting, so I don't know if I have problems losing fat because I haven't tried anything except Atkins. But I've done everything the Atkins book says I should do -- I weigh and measure all of my food to make sure I'm being compliant with the program -- and the diet has worked exceptionally well to restore my health and strength and stamina.

I started at 3 pounds more than you currently weigh, and I've lost 68 pounds without struggling or starving myself or spending all day in the gym. I've just bought the induction-allowed foods and I eat them, following the book's advice to "eat until satisfied but not stuffed." The only way to know for certain that this diet -- or any diet -- will work well for you (and is something you can comfortably live with) is to give it a try and then stick to it. For me, Atkins has been a great diet. I'm really happy with the results -- more about my health than about how I look or how much I weigh. I'm not the *fastest* loser in the forum, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the changes I've made because I can't even put a price on how much better I feel.

Good luck!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Wow, Trillex! What a great testimony! I found it very enlightening and it will help me to get back on track.

Greenacres, how are you doing? You haven't posted here since the day you started this thread and your stats are the same. Are you doing Atkins or was it an aborted attempt? Been there, done that. But please do try and find inspiration from the stories of those who have succeeded with Atkins, like Trillex.

I have a question for you, Trillex. Do you keep your foods very basic or do you get involved in those recipes on some LC sites that have quiches and casseroles and all that stuff? I'm curious because you mentioned that you weigh and measure everything so you know what you're eating.

Also, do you drink any alcohol? Thanks in advance. You look great! KUTGW.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
so -- is greenacres still here?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Big Yapper!

I just checked to see if greenacres has been posting anywhere and she hasn't posted since the day she started this thread. Must have been a hit and run! Too bad cause I really wanted to hear how things were going for her.

If you're still out there, please check in!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I have a question for you, Trillex. Do you keep your foods very basic or do you get involved in those recipes on some LC sites that have quiches and casseroles and all that stuff? I'm curious because you mentioned that you weigh and measure everything so you know what you're eating.

Also, do you drink any alcohol? Thanks in advance. You look great! KUTGW.
Thank you! You are so kind!

I gave up alcohol because, frankly, I started with so much bodyfat to lose that I felt like I needed to pay close attention to every tiny thing that the Atkins book said should be "limited." I gave up alcohol. I only eat heavy cream and artificial sweeteners on Sundays, starting in my second month on Atkins -- I had no heavy cream or artificial sweeteners at all during my first month. I am the only obese person in my entire extended family -- including cousins and spouses -- so I felt like anything the Atkins book said *might* cause problems for some people would definitely cause problems for me because I seem to have a problem with fat accumulation that other people in my family don't seem to have. In hindsight, I may have been overly pessimistic about my fat loss outlook. But since I've found that the Atkins diet has lived up to its promises, I'm glad I took the instructions seriously enough to follow them. Even if I didn't absolutely need to follow every tiny detail.

During my first few months on Atkins, I was ALL ABOUT making delicious low-carb dishes. I was making spinach and feta pie without the crust. I was making minced meat curries without rice and tomato sauce. I went all out to make every dish a celebration. During the holiday season, I made all kinds of low-carb treats for Thanksgiving and every day between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. I even ate some nuts during the holiday season, even though nuts are a higher-level ongoing weight loss item.

I weigh and measure all of the food as I cook and I portion it into individual containers to re-heat and eat throughout the week. I write the ingredient quantities on post-it notes and stick them to each container so I can log the food into my tracking program before I eat each meal. I initially found all of the tracking and measuring quite annoying. But I've become accustomed to it now and it genuinely makes me feel more secure about what I'm eating so I actually find measuring and tracking empowering, in a weird way.

In later months, the Atkins diet has sort of *trained* me to only think about food when I'm hungry so I've been eating a lot more simply during my later months on the diet. I'm just not into "food as a party" the way I was before. Since I've been on Atkins, I only think about food when I'm hungry. Whereas, before the diet, I ate as a celebration or a hobby or as something to pass the time when I'm reading or watching movies or whatever. These days, I just want tasty, satisfying meals so I eat very simple fare. I'm not eating a whole pizza to go with watching TV or a movie. And I've kind of been sticking with meat or fish and veggies, because I honestly find those meals to be the most satisfying.

I think I ate a lot more rich, elaborate foods at the beginning of the diet, not because I really wanted them, but because I had become accustomed to living a lifestyle of indulging in the sensual pleasure of food as entertainment. It sounds overly simplistic but the instruction in the Atkins book I'm following, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, to "eat when you're hungry and eat only until satisfied, not stuffed" really helped to free me from my problematic behavior with food. In the past, I'd never considered whether I was *legitimately* hungry before I ate. I really didn't! It seems like an absurdly simple thing, but just changing *why* I was eating helped me to comfortably change *what* I was eating and to stick with the diet.

I realized, during my months on the Atkins diet, that I don't need tacos or pizza or ice cream to satisfy my *actual* hunger. So I got to the point where grilled tuna with sliced avocado or cayenne-spiced tilapia with shredded cauliflower was just as good to me as a volcano burrito or a pint of Ben & Jerry's had been in the past. I'm still eating tasty food. I'm just making different choices. And it doesn't (usually) *feel* like the choices are about losing another pound, it feels more like I'm eating this food because it is healing a previous illness or addiction.

I don't know if my story is truly helpful, or if it's just my personal *thing*. You know, we humans are all so different from each other. Honestly, though, the simplest things in the Atkins diet are the things that have made it sustainable for me for the past 10 months: eat when you're hungry, eat the things on the lists. It's just so simple, I feel like it has given me the tools I needed to do a job that needed to be done.

I hope you get comfortably back on track -- and I hope you find your zen and ENJOY it! You're such a super lovely person, your personality really comes through in your posting.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
Big Yapper!

WTG, Trillex. That's so nice of you to say. I enjoy hearing others success stories. It really jazzes me up and makes me remember what place I had been in back in the days when it was easy and like second nature to me. I'll get it back again, and then I'll be the one who is telling someone else about how I do it! The circle of life.