Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dachshundlover
Stats: 160/156/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Getting ready....Getting set.....

Hi all. Just joined the forum today. Originally found the forum a couple of years ago. At that time I was feeling exhausted, bloated, headachey, and had insomnia & restless leg syndrome, all while trying to study 10 hours a day for the bar exam and I remembered how great I felt (after Induction) while I was low-carbing. I wanted and NEEDED to feel better, although I did have some weight to lose that I had regained from past success. I didn't join the forum then because it was hard enough to study without any more distractions but loved the recipes (God Bless You and Rest in Peace Kevinpa) and the support in what reading I did do. I did lose a few pounds but have put those back and have more than that I want to lose. So Monday is the day! In addition to wanting to feel better and wanting my clothes to fit like they did, I am getting married in November and want to look and feel great to start this wonderful new life with my new husband! Unlike the first husband, who was basically a good guy but very sedentary, my fiance is a very healthy eater and exercises almost every day. He is also a fantastic cook and has offered to help me in any way he can. I picked Monday to start because this weekend we are going to several places to select a venue for the wedding and reception and will be doing food tastings with the caterers. So right now I am in preparation mode - making my grocery list, re-reading my book, forcing my 23 year old twins to either "eat this junk, take it to your rooms and put it out of the weiner dog's reach, or out it goes". I would appreciate any tips and tricks y'all did or wish you had done during induction to keep on track. I know it helped me in the past to have that "legal" food ready to go and easy to grab. But I'm really dreading the induction because I felt so horrible for at least a week. I'm also afraid that I will cheat and fail and will be depressed. I have read in several places that you get one "golden" start or something like that and every time you start low carb after that, it gets harder to almost impossible for some people. I'm nervous!
dachshundlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundlover View Post
I have read in several places that you get one "golden" start or something like that and every time you start low carb after that, it gets harder to almost impossible for some people. I'm nervous!
I've been told this, too, and I'm here to tell you it's complete BS.

The first time I went on Atkins was circa Aug. 2003? Sure, we'll call it that! Six months later I was down 40 lbs, effortlessly. I was the incredible shrinking woman. People around me took inspiration and started Atkins because of me.

Then I got pregnant. Doc insisted I go off, which was REALLY hard. But I did. Had the baby... Started back up, got to my old "low".... and got pregnant.

There was a joke around here for a while: How do you get pregnant? EASY! Go on Atkins & cut your hair!

3 pregnancies and 2 babies after that, I tried to go back on again. From memory, because I knew how the plan worked. Then major stress happened (quite possibly my mother's death -- I know that was in there!), and I went back off.

Then this last time.

This last time? I started by re-reading the book, rather than trying to do it from memory. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I also got really discouraged, about 3 months in. I wasn't losing NEARLY as fast as I had before -- look, 3 months, and I was only down 20 lbs! Last time, I lost over 40 lbs in just 6 months!!!" ~looks outraged~ ~looks thoughtful~ ~pauses, and does some math~

I was losing at pretty much the same rate... But when we remember the passage of time? It's compressed. (After all, it doesn't TAKE us 6 months -- or even 3 months -- to REMEMBER 6 months!) Which means our perception of "what it was like" the first time is compressed.

I actually had an RN tell me -- just before I started, this time -- that "That only works the first time".

I'm here to prove him wrong.

In addition to Dr. Atkins, I suggest you read Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat".

One of the key key KEY things I've found for starting induction is make up a bunch of LC snacks ahead of time. ASSUME you're going to be hungry, ASSUME you're going to have cravings, and make up a bunch of munchies that you can eat freely when that happens. Have your menus planned, at least roughly. Do everything you can to make eating EASY that first week.

The other key is to make sure you're getting enough fat. Fat kills hunger. Don't eat a boiled egg if you can eat a deviled one instead. Don't eat a skinless chicken breast when you could have a wing (or that same breast covered in alfredo sauce).
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, LiterateGriffin. Your words are very encouraging. That "golden shot" thing has been something that has added to my procrastination. It had me thinking maybe I should try something different and I'll get a "golden shot" with that new thing. But I can't strictly count calories like WW. I tried that with a girlfriend years ago and was starving and cranky all the time. I know Atkins works and I know I feel good on it. The rereading of the book was something I wasn't planning to do until I read an earlier post of yours to someone else and that is an awesome idea. All of my excuses are falling away by reading this forum. I drink diet tonic water with quinine because it's such a help for my restless legs at night and I thought I would have to give that up but others say it should be ok. I'll just keep in mind that if I have problems, that's one thing to consider. It's going to be hard to give up my
Dreamfields pasta and Breyer's low carb ice cream, but it won't be forever.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

...and I'm also going to read Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly. On a sillier note, I'm glad Atkins isn't really how you get pregnant! Your comment made me laugh out loud.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Well, you know, you have to do Atkins and then cut your hair. Not one or the other: It takes both. (Which explains why I had trouble getting pregnant for so many years! )

So how's it going?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eyma
Stats: 185(?)/165/141
Start Date: February 2013
Hi Dachshundlover (I love them too, BTW). The first week was the hardest for me. The days seemed to DRAG themselves. I decided to keep a diary on the wall and cross off the days, giving myself little smiley faces and gold stars for every day I kept on track and went for a walk. Somehow seeing my progress like that really helped (ie I've already managed 4 days, only 3 more to go for a full week etc). I also didn't weigh myself until the end of week 3. I was afraid, but shouldn't have been: I lost 10 pounds and it was the second time I tried induction, so also thinks this "the second time doesn't work" is silly. If you can, try to plan your menu for the week, it really helps. Good luck!!
Eyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moniruth
Stats: 209/195/150
WOE: Atkins Induction/Low Carb
Start Date: Restart Sept 6th 2014
Yay! A live board *and* a newbie. Literate Griffin knows her stuff, (you really do!) so you have some good advice there.

I have restarted again this week after starting "wrong" last week. I too was doing it from memory and forgot about just how much fat you have to eat. Heaps. I restarted yesterday and now at the end of my day 2 I am just starting to stomach the fats...the only thing that helped was drinking water which was a bonus as I wasn't doing enough of that either.

Some good tips on other threads and boards:
*Use olive oil mixed with dried herbs and spices as a dipping sauce for meats. It helps you eat enough fat.
*Every salad has to have a dressing of some sort (cheese/oil)

I am peeing like a racehorse but after 48 hours notice a subtle change in shape.

Keep posting! Let us know how you are doing! That also keeps you focussed.

So...hello!

November Goal: 189
moniruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Peeing is good: Means you're depleting those glycogen stores! Keep it up!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Eat lots of fat and in the first week the 'induction flu' is usually caused by your body balancing electrolytes.
Low carb diets need/burn more salt than normal diets so drink some sugar free broth or salt your food liberally to taste.It really helps with cramps and restless leg syndrome from low carbing.
Before you know it your appetite will vanish and you could care less if it is meal time.Hard to believe (or remember) but true.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marganna
Stats: 237/237/140
Start Date: April 2013
Up this morning at 4:30am. Tired of achy body, bloated everything, no energy. I feel like a sloth I had success with Atkins before. I lost and then I got lazy. Today is my new start. No more chances. I feel different this time. Like it's a no brainer. No stress, no fear. Just doing what HAS to be done. It's a totally different attitude. Good luck to all! I'm on my way!
marganna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

You can do this!!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
For now I am NOT cutting my hair, as it would be the talk of town if I became pregnant at the time of my life.

I did well with induction the second time. I take extra potassium and a bit of magnesium and that has taken care of my twitchy legs and cramps. I've felt a bit wonky at times but I've found it easier that before. I am definitely not losing as much as fast as before, but I am ok with that as I am getting a bit long in tooth. I intend to stick with my new low carb regimen for quite a while. I have added 1/4 cup of yogurt once in a while and a small bit fruit every other day or so. After two and half weeks I feel great. I will not add alcohol as I have been too eager to do in the past.

So dive in, and ask for help when needed. I've found it to be readily available.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Vacations really screw things up.

Hi all. Thanks for the comments. I was doing great and lost 8 lbs on induction. Then we went on vacation at the last part of March. Went to San Francisco, got surprised with a gorgeous engagement ring on a rock overlooking the Pacific at Point Lobo, and ate my weight (well....) in sourdough bread. Now, back to my induction. Considering what all I ate on vacation, I was surprised to see that I had only gained back 4 of the 8 lbs.

The week before I started Induction on March 4, I went sort of low carb instead of doing a huge blowout gobble-all-the-carbs-I-want binge. During the Induction days of March 4 until vacation, I was pleased to find I had none of the usual Induction flu symptoms except for a bit of tiredness. So I did that again for the last 2 weeks and today it's full blown Induction again. I am psyched up today!

Oh, and I was glad to read that peeing is good. I feel like I spend half my day at work walking to the restroom and it's a long walk. I will repeat that mantra on every trip to the bathroom, to the beat of my clicking heels on the tile. "Pee ing Is Good. Pee ing Is Good......"
Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moniruth
Stats: 209/195/150
WOE: Atkins Induction/Low Carb
Start Date: Restart Sept 6th 2014
Congratulations on getting engaged!!!!

You obviously can do it, so back on the wagon for you! So, is it now a bridal Atkins phase you are in? Hooray!

moniruth is offline   Reply With Quote