Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Induction and traveling (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/797696-induction-traveling.html)

Chalagurl 02-22-2013 01:03 PM

Induction and traveling

I'm driving up to Canada (about a 10 hour drive for me) and want to try and stay as low carb as possible. I need low carb snack ideas that don't need to be refrigerated for the car ride there, and my hotel stay.

So far I have nuts, slim jims/beef jerky, Atkins bars, and canned green beans (I'll bring a can opener and I don't mind them uncooked, lol)

Any other ideas?

AsmallerME 02-22-2013 01:36 PM

Call to see if your room has a little fridge. Most do. If so, bring a cooler in the car and stop 1/2 way to get ice from the gas station to make it cooler for the second half of the trip. That's usually what I do so I can bring meat, HB eggs, etc.

Other ideas: tuna pouches or cans of chicken (you can bring pouches of mayo and mix for quick meals); flax muffins (make a few ahead of time); atkins shakes (just stop and get a cup of ice at a gas station).

Eat on the road - get bunless burgers, grilled chicken nuggets (from chick-fil-a), etc.

LiterateGriffin 02-22-2013 01:43 PM

Mayo packets are your friend... Them, and a can of tuna (Since you have the can-opener and all!)

Chalagurl 02-22-2013 02:06 PM

Thanks ladies! There is no fridge in this hotel, I've been there a few times. It's a small town, and I don't have many options for hotels. The mayo packet and canned tuna/chicken is a great idea!

Where would I find a recipe for flax muffins?

emel 02-24-2013 07:03 AM

You could really open up your food choices if you'd pack a small cooler.
You can put ice in ziplok bags so it doesn't get everything all wet, and you could replenish your ice supply for free if the motel has an ice machine.

I use a 12-pack sized cooler when I travel,but even a 6-pack sized one will do.

When I was travelling a lot, I'd go to 7/11 for a two pack of hard boiled eggs and a couple packets of mustard.
You could take protein powder, a bottle of water, and a lidded cup to shake it in.
Bacon, the already-cooked kind. Pepperoni in the packages that aren't refrigerated.
Avocado and a pouch of tuna.
you can get little single serve pouches/cups of olives and pickles.
make a muffin in a minute and wrap it well in plastic for the trip.
string cheese.
Celery/pepper strips in a ziplock bag with an ice cube, will keep for a few hours.
Freeze cooked chicken. Wrap it in plastic, then paper towels, then foil, and eat it when it's thawed. The insulation of the wrapping products will keep it from spoiling for 4 hours.

kempmuhlbauer 02-25-2013 02:08 PM

Yes what EMEL said. That is the ticket

Chalagurl 02-27-2013 08:55 AM

Space is very limited with 3 kids and 2 adults and a small car, so a cooler may not be an option. But great ideas nonetheless! Thank you guys :)