Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fanci33
Induction help!! Me want sweets!!

Hey guys!!! I'm new to this and have a lot of weight to lose!! I want to stay on the induction period till I lose this weight! Only down fall... SWEETS!! I can't go without! I've been doing great, but it's just getting to that point.. Any ideas for induction friendly deserts? Ps chocolate is my fav! Really Hits the spot!!

Thanks so much everyone!
Sarah <3
Fanci33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: day^_^
Start Date: Feb 2013
from what I've read you should attempt to avoid most if not all sweet things until cravings r under control...I could b wrong ..I'm new too...but it makes sense to me..goodluck to u
day^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fanci33
Your totally right.. Only thing... I live with two boys that can eat whatever they want!! Arg! And there's no hiding it bc I make it! Lol ( fiancé and son) but I did try to experiment with a few different ingredients they came out okie.. I guess it hit the spot.. I just need to try a little harder! Lol

Thanks so much for the encouragement!
Fanci33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Fanci, What plan are you following?
Depending on your plans, what "sweets" you can have will vary.

Dr. Atkins doesn't limit sweet tastes, but limits sweetener to 2 packets because of fillers, but suggests sugar free gelatin, or whipped cream with a bit of sweetener as a suggestion. you could make cocoa bark which is coconut oil, cocoa powder and sweetener melted together and frozen into a candy like slab.

Clouds are cream cheese and butter creamed together with sweetener, and made into single serving plops and kept in the fridge or freezer like bon bons.

Or you can try to do without, but know your will power and whether y ou will cavein next to a real candy bar or your boys' dessert. Having your own means that you can have a sweet treat that is not off plan,without feeling guilty and concentrate on other things. Just make sure not to overeat the treats, as with anything you enjoy, too much is just as bad.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
those are all great ideas. Sugar free jello is fantastic
Make your own whipped cream and add a little splenda or some davinci or torani syrups.
same with cream cheese- add a little splenda or syrup. you can heat cream cheese up too. I sometimes do that with one or two tablespoons of cream cheese and add a tiny bit of crystal lite. yum -- like lemon chiffon mousse.
but part of what we are trying to do on induction is wean ourselves (well no it's not weaning - it's an abrupt divorce) from sweets. You do NOT want sweets because -- they make...you...fat.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #6

One of the reasons I like clouds ( cream cheese and butter basically) is because even though they are sweet, they are pretty much nothing but fat and a wee bit of protein. Yeah, I know some people can eat a whole pan of them in a day, but they can be very filling if you pace yourself and eat them slowly. I keep them in the freezer in a bag, and they are too hard to bite through, so I have to let them sit on the counter for a few minutes, then I can have one. That makes me wait for my treat. I might have two and if I want more I have to go back to the freezer, take out two more and then wait for THOSE to thaw. Sometimes by that time I realize I don't want more cause the first fat bombs have finally triggered my stomach that I just ate a two balls of fat, and I put the extras back into the freezer. It's kinda self limiting. and Fat is also self limiting, so I think clouds make the best sweet treat cause if you eat too many you can become nauseated from all the fat and that'll teach ya!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
A chocolate pudding made with your choice of art. sweetner gluc. powder and xanthan gum and unsweetned cocoa and almond milk less than 50 cals an 8oz!!!!! serving very low carbs.
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Fozzie!
I tried to make a gluc pudding and couldn't stomach it, but I've not tried mixing the two gums of xanth and gluc, I might try again since you suggest it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I mix it like for noodles NO LIME 2 cups almond milk a little short on the gluc. 1.5 tsp. maybe, .5 tsp xanthan and I've even added a little guar. I'm still experimenting. I have 2 cups in fridge calling to me. It "cuts" with a spoon like real cooked pudding but DON"T COOK IT!!! (if you cook it you can hold it in your hand in one piece after it cools!) The almond milk says 30cals per 8oz cocoa 10cals per tbls. It is also very filling.

Last edited by fozzie99; 02-22-2013 at 07:26 AM..
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
If you really want to try breaking the addiction to sweets...

Eat a dill pickle.

Seriously, the first time I saw this (it's actually advice straight from Dr. Atkins -- who in his early books DOES advise against any sort of sweet-taste during induction), I was skeptical.

Then I realized something -- bear with me.

Many years ago, I got my "dream" summer-job: working at this AMAZING mountain resort, room & board included. There were about 20 of us there, various ages and backgrounds. We all ate together, 3 times per day, ONE group-meal fixed for all of us.

These meals never included fruit, and were often low on vegetables (at least the ones that contain C) as well. Before long, we all started craving fruit, EXTREMELY badly. IF we went to town? We'd get pizza with Pineapple... Oh, yeah, sure, other toppings are fine, too... just make sure there's plenty of pineapple!
Someone even got a relative to bring in some fruit for us... The resort owners confiscated it and fed it to the guests, instead.

Well, it didn't take long for us (ALL!) to go from craving FRUIT (which I believe we were craving to fill a Vitamin C deficiency) to craving candy. The store had Red Vines, 2 for a nickel, and we couldn't get enough. ALL of us. Even if we hadn't liked Red Vines before. We didn't want fruit anymore, and didn't order the pineapple pizza: We just wanted the candy.

A few things, here: a.) When our bodies signaled a need -- fruit, for Vitamin C -- and we didn't fill that need in a healthy way, our bodies began demanding an unhealthy substitute. And b.) Our craving for "sweet" is tied, at a fundamental level, to Vitamin C, which is SOUR.

All of which helps explain why a dill pickle can be effective at killing a sweet craving!

The other thing I would suggest is to make sure you are supplementing your Vitamin C, just to make sure that there's not an ACTUAL minor deficiency there fueling your cravings.

All that said? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html Because if you're going to "cheat", make it an on-plan cheat!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

This week, I was cold, but I didn't want tea.I took a packet of True Orange crystals and put that in a large cup of hot water. I didn't add any sweetener, but it was a nice hot beverage that "tasted" sweet just because of the orange flavor and aroma.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanci33 View Post
have a lot of weight to lose!!
Regardless how much 'a lot' is, I haven't checked your stats, that alone is a good reason to have no sweets.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

If you are starting on induction, you may not have chocolate. you CAN artificially sweeten things like cream cheese, but you have to be strict and follow the rules for two weeks. Part of that is to get your mind off things like sweets and chocolate, and to get your body used to not having them. If someone asks what I eat, i usually tell them what I do NOT eat -- i don't eat sugar and i don't eat flour.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Well said DQ. Sweets in any form are hard to do on this WOE. I try to abstain completly from them even the packets. But having tasted them before it is hard to not remember what they taste like. So to combat this I just stay away totally, with the exception of the SF Jello. Just as a treat once in a while after dinner while watching tv. After being on plan for a while and a cheat comes up I still try and avoid the sugars they just trigger a longer off plan adventure. I seem to do ok with a slice of bread on a cheat day but sweets will always come with his friends pilling on saying eat just one more donut!!!

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Flavored coffee or tea. Not the kind with added sugars and stuff, the kind that's plain unsweetened with nothing but coffee or tea and flavoring oils.
If you have a keurig coffee maker, the van houtte belgian chocolate is a very good coffee for that chocolate tooth. I do add a little cream and 1 drop of ez-sweetz to bring out the flavor but it's good black, too
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
You need to work on changing the way you think. You said you "cannot go without sweets". Guess what? Yes, you can. Why? Because humans are not meant to eat sweets. It's not good for you. It causes diseases and makes us FAT, which is what got us into this position in the first place. You can lose all the weight you want, you just have to want it bad enough and have the patience, perseverance and willpower. Up your fat intake. When I don't keep my fat intake high, I get insane sugar cravings. Try the coconut oil bark if you are absolutely going nuts for something sweet. Stay away from it long enough, and your cravings will cease.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #17

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I understand why people are saying to ride out the cravings until they subside. You're better off in the long run if you do that.
However, if you want some legal induction sweets and if you trust yourself to only eat a reasonable portion of it, here are some ideas:

Probably the best would be sugar free jello, either alone or with a little whipped cream you whip yourself (the canned stuff has sugar in it).

Or whip some heavy cream and put some chocolate da vinci syrup in it.
Or use some cocoa powder and sweetener instead of the da vinci.
If you make it ahead you can portion it out and stick it in the freezer.

Cream cheese clouds. I suggest making 1/4 of the recipe to avoid having too many around in case you want to go overboard on them. You can add a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder to a quarter batch if you want.

CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Boboelink
I too have a sweet tooth that can't be denied! For induction: low carb pancakes are really great, cheesecakes, sf jello and whipped cream, there are one minute muffin recipes too that are sweet and good. I just don't have all these recipes. I finally decided Induction was a bit too strict for me and just being LC in gen'l. Yesterday, I made candy: peanut butter cups and chocolate coconut bark.For me this is a lifestyle change and I want to make it pleasant and include desserts/sweets. Tomorrow is my birthday in fact and the first one I won't be partaking in a commercial/traditional birthday cake. I am madly looking up low carb versions of birthday cake and there are tons of recipes out there, too. Enjoy
Boboelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Bobo that is the right attitude wish I could do it like that
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

all great advice - and you know, I have actually eating a SF jello every day for weeks at a time! I empty it in a paper coffee cup (it's a work snack) and add some heavy cream. Deeelish!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

SF jello is the bomb. Although as of this week I am elminating it to try and restart my downward trend in the middle of a 5 day stall and jello is the first to go, but will add back in when the scale starts moving again.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
all great advice - and you know, I have actually eating a SF jello every day for weeks at a time! I empty it in a paper coffee cup (it's a work snack) and add some heavy cream. Deeelish!
Sorry, I never know when folks talk about heavy cream. Can you give an example brand? Is it liquid in a carton? Or in a container like cottage cheese? But it's not sour cream, right? I do know what that is.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Heavy whipping cream. I is in the milk isle or refrigerator section. I usually comes in a small carton or up to half gallon. read the info on the side because it does have a carb per serving and you can get crazy if not careful.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Heavy whipping cream. I is in the milk isle or refrigerator section. I usually comes in a small carton or up to half gallon. read the info on the side because it does have a carb per serving and you can get crazy if not careful.
Thank you!

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
Add more fat. I am struggling with the "add fat" way of eating but have found that the more cream or butter I add to meals, the less I snack and the less I crave sweets. That said, I have cut my portions considerably, which really isn't due to will power but more that it is really hard for me to eat a big high-fat meal. Last night I made chicken and mushrooms with Bertolli Alfredo sauce AND butter. I barely made it through 3 ounces of the chicken before I was satisfied (and honestly near the point of yuck). Tasted great but so rich I was happy to stop eating earlier than usual, and I am a very fast eater usually. Adding fat has slowed me down. Remember the 20 minute rule that it takes this long for your stomach to tell your brain you're full.

Good luck on your journey.
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by manders View Post
You need to work on changing the way you think. You said you "cannot go without sweets". Guess what? Yes, you can. Why? Because humans are not meant to eat sweets. It's not good for you. It causes diseases and makes us FAT, which is what got us into this position in the first place. You can lose all the weight you want, you just have to want it bad enough and have the patience, perseverance and willpower. Up your fat intake. When I don't keep my fat intake high, I get insane sugar cravings. Try the coconut oil bark if you are absolutely going nuts for something sweet. Stay away from it long enough, and your cravings will cease.
RIGHT ON! Yes you can. We need to ban the word "can't" from our vocabularies! Learning to eat this way takes CHANGE. That means learning to broaden your horizons when it comes to food. I was such a veggie hater in the past, or so I thought. To be successful, I know I have to eat more veggies. I have (or used to have) kidney issues, so eating low carb without veggies and salad (which translates into high protein) is pretty dangerous for me. As long as I eat my veggies every day, I am good. Free the Pee! Eat your spinach and add some cream!

Last edited by Pippa; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
I like sugar free jello or panna cotta to curb sweet cravings
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
I really do feel it's best to just eliminate the sweet stuff, especially on induction. That really is the point of induction - get rid of those bad habits. The sweet craving usually hits me late in the evening - maybe 2 hours after dinner, while watching tv or whatever. My induction indulgence was a cup of tea with heavy cream and a packet of Splenda. There are some really tasty teas out there. I especially love chai for this. Just be sure the tea hasn't been sweetened.

Also, LiterageGriffin is right. Sour foods can often satisfy a sweet craving. Pickles are good for this. I keep a jar of pickled vegetables on hand for this very reason.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ApplePomme
Stats: 164/155.5/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post

All that said? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html Because if you're going to "cheat", make it an on-plan cheat!
This recipe looks awesome! One question though, I'm confused as to how much sweetener you use. I have granular Sugar Twin on hand, do you use 1/2 cup?
ApplePomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eyma
Stats: 185(?)/165/141
Start Date: February 2013
Ok, I know everybody is going to go BLERGH on this, but in my home country we do not eat avocados with salt, olive oil etc - we eat them blended with a little bit of milk and sugar (in fact I never ate an avocado salad until I moved abroad). If you think you are adventurous enough, you could try blending it with a little bit of almond milk and splenda, it comes out like a kind of pudding. I agree with everybody that keeping the fat intake up kills the sugar cravings.
Eyma is offline   Reply With Quote