Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
Gallery: starryblu
Stats: 203/199/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: august 2012
Will a night at the movies mess me up?

Hi everyone. A quick question...

I just got off to a good start on induction on Monday. This Saturday was supposed to be a special trip to the movies for a friend and I. I know for a fact I cannot do a theater movie without popcorn and probably chocolate. Due to that fact I'm considering canceling.

My question... If I endulged, just for the movies, would it ruin everything I've done for the week?

I'm really torn. I love going to the movies and haven't been in forever.

Thanks for your input!!
starryblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Well, if you are going to indulge, just this once, for popcorn and chocolate -- what's going to stop you from indulging the next day, just that once, for a luscious looking chocolate chip cookie? and the next day, for something else? You've set your induction standards low if you can go off plan for movie popcorn, don't you think? (I think rats and mice when i think about movie popcorn, but that's just me! haha). Instead of canceling, what if you smuggle in some pepperoni and cheese, or some rollups? I think that you have to be committed to induction for the entire two weeks.

On the other hand, if you do succumb, you can always just start induction again the next day. it all depends on whether or not you want to lose the weight and change the way you eat and think about food.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
Well you are right. I know endulging can trigger more. If that weren't the case I wouldn't have such a fat butt lol! I don't keep any goodies in my house, but they are all just a short drive away at the grocery store. The suggestions to sneak in some snacks is a good one and I will consider it. I'm prolly going to have to just not go tho. I know how I am, and I just have no power over theater popcorn!

Thanks so much for your reply
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
starryblu --
it's the Tough Love approach (smile)!!
seriously, if your BRAIN kicks in and tells you that popcorn is forbidden, everything will CLICK and you will Obey! also, if you go, make sure that you eat beforehand -- don't be hungry in there! oh, i know! noseplugs so you won't smell the stuff!!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
curious. I have never understood why eating at a theater is so popular. makes no sense to me! but if it's that connected to you, you might want to avoid the trigger situation, yup.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Going purely by the numbers, eating popcorn alone (never mind the chocolate!) will knock you out of ketosis, which also means you'll be up at least a few pounds of water weight Sunday morning. Getting back into ketosis will take you another few days. The first two weeks of Induction are mainly for getting into ketosis, and the loss people see is all water weight as the body switches fuel. So, if you know for a fact that you're going to eat popcorn and chocolate on Saturday, yes, you're wasting this week.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmd1974
Stats: 268/225/160
WOE: Atkins...REAL Foods
Start Date: February 1, 2013
My suggestion would be to eat a big, delicious, decadent, Induction meal right before you go to the movies. Surely that should hold you over for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, right?

I understand what you're saying about avoiding temptation at all costs. However, I also believe that you should not let your WOE dictate what you can and cannot do in life. Especially something as fun and enjoyable as a movie with a friend. Don't give the popcorn and chocolate that much control!!!
cmd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
How bad do you really want this? I consistently go to the movies and don't eat anything.

What's more important to you: mindless unhealthy snacking or your goal?
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iheart
Stats: 190
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 14 2013
I went to the movies last night and had a diet soda and snuck in some sugar free hard candies. I was worried to but the candies helped. Good luck.
Iheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

You all gave me some great input/suggestions and I'm very grateful. You are all awesome!

I think for the time being, I will skip the movies. I have had horrible self control issues...I just know myself. In time I think I will be able to resist, but for now, nope. I certainly don't want to mess up what I've achieved this week!

Thanks again everyone xo
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I usually sneak in a bag of sunflower seeds with me! Gives me something to munch on instead of the popcorn that my DH and kids eat! Or those pepperoni chip things by the beef jerkey at walmart.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imamamax3
Stats: 209/198/150
WOE: Induction/Very Low Carb
whenever i'm going to be around tempting foods i have a piece or two of very strong minty sugar free bubble gum. not only does it keep your mouth busy but even if you go to cheat when you spit out the gum you still have that minty taste in your mouth and nothing tastes good with that
imamamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: roxysmum
Stats: 168/somewhere/130
Start Date: November 2012
You can't skip the movies forever! Instead of popcorn and chocolate, find something else to snack on. And then maybe in a few months you can transition into eating nothing.

Personally I love the big dill pickles at the theater. That with a diet coke feels like a splurge!
roxysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

More good suggestions and thanks I won't be avoiding movies forever! I'm just having a really hard time with cravings right now. I lost my middle son almost 4 years ago & have gained 70 lbs since then. I've used goodies to comfort myself & to push away my grief. It's hard to make such a huge change when you are so sad!

So I guess it will be redbox for me if I want a movie lol. At least for a bit. Maybe in a few weeks I will be a little more confident in myself!

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: roxysmum
Stats: 168/somewhere/130
Start Date: November 2012
redbox is awesome! Way cheaper than the movies these days. Sounds like you'll save your wallet and waistline
roxysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryblu View Post
More good suggestions and thanks I won't be avoiding movies forever! I'm just having a really hard time with cravings right now. I lost my middle son almost 4 years ago & have gained 70 lbs since then. I've used goodies to comfort myself & to push away my grief. It's hard to make such a huge change when you are so sad!

So I guess it will be redbox for me if I want a movie lol. At least for a bit. Maybe in a few weeks I will be a little more confident in myself!

Thanks again everyone!!
Coping with a huge loss like that without turning to food is in itself a struggle. I certainly don't think a single one of us would really fault you for that. I'm very sorry that you lost your son. Emotional eating is my absolute #1 nemesis. I eat when I'm happy, sad, stressed, excited. All extreme emotions in me elicit a feeling of needing to fill myself. It's going to be a lifelong battle. You're not alone.
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Mandy thank you so much for your kind words. It feels good to have someone understand the emotional side of overeating. People in my life really don't seem to get where it's coming from. I guess it shouldn't matter, but those condemning looks DO hurt. I've always always handled my emotions with food & I totally feel you on having that issue too. Just doesnt seem fair huh? If cookies can take the edge off the pain of losing a child, even for a few minutes, then why can't I eat cookies? I'm getting better with the food tho, and your kind words DO help.

Thanks again
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarends
I used to LOVE popcorn with diet coke at the movies - it made one of my favorite things to do (movies) completely saturated with enjoyment - ie - comfort foods.

I have went to two movies since induction and here was my strategy - which worked:

1) Small bag of BBQ Pork skins (I love them)
2) Bag of pepperoni
3) Bag of sharp cheddar cubes
4) Bottle of Dasani (I love Dasani as I think it just tastes better than cheaper waters - my wife tells me I'm crazy on this point)

It worked!

2nd movie - I just took the BBQ pork skins and a bottle of Dasani - totally fine!

Last edited by sarends; 03-09-2013 at 12:22 PM..
sarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
This is about finding a suitable snack alternative when you're at the movies. lots of suggestions here are great ones.
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I always carry 1/2cup of pistachios in their shells with me to the movies along with SF peanut butter cups. It satisfies that emotional need for something salty and sweet.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote