Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   probably the stupidest question ever but... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/797273-probably-stupidest-question-ever-but.html)

mafiamom 02-16-2013 08:44 AM

probably the stupidest question ever but...

how exactly do you increase your fat intake? i have no trouble doing it with carbs, that's for sure, but on LC it's a bit trickier for me.

i cant use cheese or HWC to do it. and i read too much protein can turn to sugar in your system. short of eating a stick o butter plain.... i seem to be drawing a blank.....

i make my own salad dressing with OO. i fry eggs in butter, i use HWC in coffee (just a drop) and mayo in tuna.

Kizz4k 02-16-2013 08:53 AM

Have you tried "fat bombs"? It's a recipe circulating around this website (check the recipe forums, do a search under fat bomb) for people who struggle with the same thing you are. They are basically made with coconut oil, butter and some sugar free sweetner, then you freeze. I've made some and they are not too bad, my one year old loves them too :)

janetsbreeze 02-16-2013 09:19 AM

May I ask why you can't use HWC? Are you dairy free?

You can add :
butter, olives, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut cream, fattier cuts of meat, mayo ...

mafiamom 02-16-2013 09:38 AM

from reading on here, i was under the impression that too much HWC was a no no. no? i can definitely find ways to incorporate more HWC :)

princessmommy 02-16-2013 09:57 AM

Fat bombs are The bomb! Taste Yum and increases your fat intake. Coconut oil can be added to your coffee or tea or cook with it to increase fat

janetsbreeze 02-16-2013 12:23 PM

I think it depends on the person. Some are sensitive to dairy - I'm not and can happily guzzle my HWC!
Maybe look up the bulletproof coffee recipe on this site - coffee with coconut oil and butter blended together. Loads of fat right there!

manders 02-16-2013 07:21 PM

Two spoons of coconut oil!

katfar3 02-16-2013 07:28 PM

Got room on here for 1 more? Lost 40 lbs 10 yes ago on Atkins, then had surgery. My DH took care of me by bringing all my favs to eat. Lol. Needless to say, here I am , heavier than before. Been on induction 2 weeks and have lost 7 lbs. Probably used up my golden opportunity to get off to a fast start, but hopefully slow and steady will win the race. Got a trip to the beach the last of April. Maybe down a couple of sizes?

cfine 02-17-2013 10:15 AM

I put MCT oil(1 tbsp) in my morning shake. I use olive oil on my salads. I put a pat of butter on my veggies.

LiterateGriffin 02-20-2013 05:53 AM

My breakfast:
  • Take the biggest coffee cup in the house.
  • Put 2 eggs (raw) in the cup.
  • Add about 2 TBS coconut oil. (I eyeball this, and it varies a bit, depending on what my morning's going to be like.)
  • Add about 1 TBS HWC.
  • Insert immersion-blender. Whiz until nice & foamy
  • Add coffee. Whiz again.
  • Remove blender, top up with coffee.
  • Drink half, top AGAIN with coffee.
  • Leave house.

I've got fat-bombs in the freezer. (1 part coconut oil, 1 part butter, 1/2 part nut-butter... add a little salt, stevia, or other additives... Nuke until melted and blend well, then freeze. I put mine in silicone muffin-cups, 2 TBS/serving, and will grab one when I'm not up to a whole meal or am in a hurry.)

I buy the fattiest meat I can find.

I eat the skin on my chicken... and have developed a recent love-affair with chicken wings.

I'm not afraid to add butter to my foods... or make cream-sauce to pour over them. (Quick sauce: Melt together 1 stick butter, 1 cup cream, and some shredded parmesan and mozzerella. Stir well... It'll thicken as it cools. Pour over chicken, salmon, veggies, etc. Refrigerate the leftovers. In the morning, cut out a hunk of it -- since it's now solid -- and add it to scrambled eggs. Seriously -- you HAVE to try it in eggs!)

When in doubt, add avocado, olives, and macadamia-nuts to anything (watching the carb-counts on those, but they're all great sources of fat).