Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bananarama
I am near killing myself over this Atkins diet!!

Sorry for the melodrama but I do, I do wanna kick taht bucket!!

This induction has caused me to be severely depressed and in my books, that isn't right!

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned how I'd done the Atkins diet years ago, in my late 20s (now 35) and it went swimmingly, weight dropped off from the first week adn so on, it gave me the oomph to keep on going til I reached my target which was a 2 stone loss!

Now, it's the 7th day of induction. No weight change on scales, my clothes feel probably even tighter and I'm stalling. I am not working at the mo BUT I am active. I am a cyclist and cycle everywhere - my only mode of transport!

Being made redundant which adds to my whole feeling of malaise aswell bla bla. This diet is extremely expensive - I spent £80 to cover a fortnight and nothing hs changed in my weight and I cn't afford this!

What is the point in spending so much money for no change to occur. When I last did Atkins I was working so it was cool, I'd just p ick up more meat like nothing from the local supermarket and bobs your uncle.

Guys, I ve had enough. I'm packing it in for financial reasons, for the fact that I haven't even lost one ounce of body weight. I've gone through the flu and come out the other end and nothing. What is the point? Yes , we get nice and skinny. Well "maybe I'm always going to be a little bit on the fat side" (Bridget Jones).

I mean I've never been obese, I've always flip flopped from being my ideal weight to being an extra stone or two over and its so annoying because as most have said, a few stone is always harder to shift.

I don't know what to do. I can't spend double of what I'd normally spend on a low fat dioet for an Atkins diet which isn't working yet or giving me a reason to go on! Waste of time, waste of money I say!

Thoughts please, I'm nearly going to give up. I'm giving it til tomorrow!

p.s. Oh and what I've been eating? Meat, meat, meat, all fresh, organic, no processed. Veg in the allowed list all jsut under 20 grams carbs. I drink lots of water...

I want to give up. It's like I'm being punished for this..
Bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Can you give us a detailed idea of what exactly you eat on an average day?

Did you eat a high-carb diet before starting induction? If not, you won't see that big inital "whoosh".
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Good.question.

Before I started laat week...I remember enjoying each day for a week a lovely sweet desert, it was after I failed an induction you see (yep I had tried and failed before, seems to get tougher as you age) just before this one which is about 2 weeks ago. Although during that time I was limiting my intake of bread, rice pasta etc. Actually rarely ate any complex type carbs after failing that induction. My body just wanted sweet, so I more or less didn't eat for a whole week aside from a desert every eve. Then I started induction again - 7th day in and here I am. Nothing has shifted despite being regimental about it.

Typically, I'd eat - An omelette with 2 eggs, quarter chopped onion in there and a whole tomatoe and a handful of spinach. I'd snack on pieces of chicken and an occasional meat ball - Early eve, I'd have a handmade burger with onion, cheese, a pinch fresh chilli peppers and mixed salad. Water, water , water. Oh and a cup of red bush tea with 2 tabs of sweetner with sucralose...That's an average day for me....

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers guys
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Oh and cheddar cheese melted in my omelette, about 3 thick slices. That'a my.breakfast
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I added up what you posted above and came up with this:

Breakfast
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Potass SodiumEggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 2 large
203 3 15 14 168 342

Cheese - Cheddar, 2 oz
228 1 19 14 55 351

Onions - Raw, 0.25 large
16 4 0 0 54 1

Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 1 large whole (3" dia)
33 7 0 2 431 9

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
7 1 0 1 167 24

Lunch
Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 1 cup, chopped or diced
231 0 5 43 358 104

Homemade - Meatballs - 95% Lean Beef, 1 Meatballs
150 5 7 30 0 0

Dinner
Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger), 1 serving ( 3 oz )
213 0 13 22 270 61

Onions - Raw, 2 tbsp chopped
8 2 0 0 29 1

Schomberg Farms - Cheddar Cheese, 1.5 slices (30g)
120 1 10 7 0 200

Lettuce - Green leaf, raw, 2 cup shredded
11 2 0 1 140 20

Totals 1,220 26 69 134 1,672 1,113

Please keep in mind this is a very rough total based on what you posted. I don't know if you add anything to your salad, etc.

If you are sticking to strict induction, you might be over on your carb limit, and under on your fat intake.

Janet's Second Wind
Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Oh boy, I'm confused.

I've been counting everything.

I'm.thinking maybe I do need to consume more fat, but sometimes it causes me to feel a bit sick. Yep.the beef is lean, which is minced and used for burger and meatballs. I shallow fry them in extra virgin olive oil.

The cheese maybe an issue. Maybe I'm putting too much in my omelette, the burger has cheese as well, forgot to mention.

Ummm, veg, I know for a fact they're just under 20.

Do you think I should consume more fat in the form of.meat, and eat less cheese because that has quite a bit of carbs, although cheddar not so much which I'm eating..

I'm defo doing something wrong..
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Ok....
Do you weigh your mewt and cheese? That is the only way to know exactly what you,re eating.
It sounds ok...but, yes, something's wrong.

Cn you make a delicious 2 egg omelet with some mushrooms and one ounce of cheese?
Can you go one day without snacking? Eat an omelet for breakfast (ok make it three eggs and you could have some bacon too), tuna fish salad with lettuce for lunch, and a big steak with some sauteed mushrooms and a salad made of lettuce, cucumbers, and radishes for dinner... With 2Tb of full fat dressing? And, for a sweet treat, a sugar free jello in the aftenoon and one at night. With whipped cream made with sugr substitute.

If you can go one day eating this, that would be great.

Are your meatballs just ground beef, or beef binded with egg, or something else?

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would add fats in the form of fattier cuts of meat, butter, heavy cream, coconut oil, and olive oil.
DairyQueen has some really good suggestions above for adding fats with each meal.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestions would be:cut out the onion for now, they are high in carbs. Cut out the tomato, again high in carbs. You need to measure anything that has carbs in it. Don't eat more than 1-2oz. of cheese per day. Add in some good fat:grass fed butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, olive oil, but not too much. I measure out my oils so I know exactly how many calories I'm getting from fat.
If you like this way of eating I would suggest trying to stick with it for a bit longer. If you don't like it, then don't do it. Life is too short to eat in a way that makes you miserable.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Princess

Gallery: JillyBug
I just went through the same thing. I've lived this diet previously for 3 years, and I know better, but I used Dreamfields. I went TWO weeks without dropping a pound. In fact I GAINED 3. My mind knows this works. I dropped the Dreamfields and went one day with just meat. Got on the scales yesterday (which was the end of 2 weeks) and I dropped 7 pounds. I never lose fast on this, 6-10 pounds a month is average and I never have the induction woosh, so that is pretty good.
Motto of the story: Make some small changes to what you are doing and don't give up.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Cut the dairy
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Like you I did Atkins and it worked really well and then it just stopped.

I am now doing JUDDD and lost about 5lbs in 10 days and weight is still coming off. I didn't have a lot to lose - about 10lbs - and as you know those last ones are very stubborn. I rejected the idea of JUDDD when I first read the book - I didn't think it would work or that I could do it but I'm a convert now.

Also the reason I thought of JUDDD is because you say you aren't working now and it's expensive - with JUDDD you can still eat the Atkins way but you will cut your food bills in half. Just a friendly suggestion - I didn't mean to come over and hijack this
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 176.4/172.4/135
Start Date: 2011
Maybe you're like me. I get moody and depressed when it gets close to that time of the month, and I start to retain water so that would mask any weight loss. I try to remind myself of this phenomenon to keep myself from getting discouraged. Telling myself that I'm doing everything right but it's just my brain/hormones/body acting up, you know?

Last edited by Scarlet_Belle; 03-05-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote