Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
Back on Low Carb - not losing

Hi all! I had left the low carb because of some medicine I started taking and now am back on it. I am used to the med now. Have been on it for over a year.

First of all....my thyroid is messed up again. Doc raised my med to Armour 180 per day from the 120 I was on. Been on that for 3 weeks.

Started back on low carb Monday. I have been working out for 3 weeks now. Jazzercise, Yoga, and even did a TRX class! (TRX is cool!) Also the biggest loser yoga at home sometimes. Have worked up to several times a week now. Gosh I think the exercise is making me bigger!!!

Soooo, I haven't lost any weight or inches. I would have figured with all the exercise that I would have been losing before, so decided to go back to low carb this week.

I have read some things abour having too many grams of protein. Never seen that before on here. I have been eating chicken, turkey, eggs, some cheese, and salad. My carbs are really low so I add half an avacado sometimes too.

Uggggg, I figured even with my thyroid problems I would lose something!!!

One more question. What is the difference in the ******* and Atkins. both are 20 carbs...just curious cause it was in a post I read.

Any ideas????

Thanks!!!
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome lkelley!! I am hypothyroid too and take 120 mg a day of armour. I did take 150 up until about 5 months ago. I Know I need it rasied a bit but my GP Dr refuses to treat symptoms and will Only go by TSH. Guess I should have called him my Former Dr cause I won't be back to see him! I go by Dr Atkins new diet revolution induction. I have no clue what kimikins is except that she isn't allowed here anymore due to lying or something, wasn't around when she was here so i'm clueless. I do know that when our thyroid levels are off it is hard to lose. From what i've read when you exercise it can cause your muscles to hold on to water as a way to repair them. (may be off on exactly why Lol)
can you post a sample of a menu you eat on a day?

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
Hey princessmommy! Thanks for the replay....this thyroid thing and not losing weight is ugg!!! I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago, by Stillmans/Atkins, right after I found out about my thryroid and started taking meds.

I knew something was up lately. Been trying to lose and exercising to no avail. My diet is pretty much what I said above.... I have been eating chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, some cheese, and salad. My carbs are really low so I add half an avacado sometimes too. I had some hamburger this weekend, but I try to stay away from red meat too much. I do have a Atkins bar some. I try to keep my calories down, but never knew that I could be getting too many grams of protein.

I went to Startbucks this weekend and had a Sugar Free Hazelnut Latte with HWC. I only drank half, cause the thought of that much fat kills me! But oh it was yummy!! I seemed to have felt a little smaller as of today. Maybe the fat helped!!! Just going to continue on. I am enjoying exercising and hope to start losing soon!
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelley36 View Post
Hey princessmommy! Thanks for the replay....this thyroid thing and not losing weight is ugg!!! I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago, by Stillmans/Atkins, right after I found out about my thryroid and started taking meds.

I knew something was up lately. Been trying to lose and exercising to no avail. My diet is pretty much what I said above.... I have been eating chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, some cheese, and salad. My carbs are really low so I add half an avacado sometimes too. I had some hamburger this weekend, but I try to stay away from red meat too much. I do have a Atkins bar some. I try to keep my calories down, but never knew that I could be getting too many grams of protein.

I went to Startbucks this weekend and had a Sugar Free Hazelnut Latte with HWC. I only drank half, cause the thought of that much fat kills me! But oh it was yummy!! I seemed to have felt a little smaller as of today. Maybe the fat helped!!! Just going to continue on. I am enjoying exercising and hope to start losing soon!
If you could post a more detailed menu, including how many oz's of everything, that would be much more helpful. Saying "chicken, turkey, some cheese" doesn't help because it doesn't tell us how much friend!

Also, fat will not make you fat. Dairy is not very good for you and can prevent losses.
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by manders View Post
If you could post a more detailed menu, including how many oz's of everything, that would be much more helpful. Saying "chicken, turkey, some cheese" doesn't help because it doesn't tell us how much friend!

Also, fat will not make you fat. Dairy is not very good for you and can prevent losses.
Yes, a more detailed menu for a couple of days will be most helpful and also your current stats like age, height and current weight would help.

Fat will definitely not make you fat, especially when you keep carbs to a minimum. Fat is actually good for you. Do read up on why fats are good for you, it will help you change your perspective and support you in losing your weight in a healthy way. Gary Taubes' book called why we get fat is a great read and will open your eyes regarding dietary fat.

I would have to disagree with Manders on the dairy. It depends what type of dairy of course, but butter and cheese will not prevent losses. Some people have trouble with dairy, but if you stick with a maximum of 4 oz of cheese and limit your heavy cream intake to a few tablespoons, it should really not cause any problems unless you have problems with dairy or lactose.

People with thyroid problems may find it harder to lose...

Also, I would stay away from any type of ready made LC food of which you cannot identify its original ingredients. Like bars, shakes, etc. They are known stallers.

Do you not like red meat? This would namely be ideal for a LC way of eating...

Stay away from *******. The calories are too low, the fat is too low and it will not do your body any favours. Stick with a more Atkins style induction and eat liberally from fats and protein, enjoy green leafy vegetables, eat dairy in moderation, keep carbs under 20g. See where that takes you in about two to three weeks.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Yes, a more detailed menu for a couple of days will be most helpful and also your current stats like age, height and current weight would help.

Fat will definitely not make you fat, especially when you keep carbs to a minimum. Fat is actually good for you. Do read up on why fats are good for you, it will help you change your perspective and support you in losing your weight in a healthy way. Gary Taubes' book called why we get fat is a great read and will open your eyes regarding dietary fat.

I would have to disagree with Manders on the dairy. It depends what type of dairy of course, but butter and cheese will not prevent losses. Some people have trouble with dairy, but if you stick with a maximum of 4 oz of cheese and limit your heavy cream intake to a few tablespoons, it should really not cause any problems unless you have problems with dairy or lactose.

People with thyroid problems may find it harder to lose...

Also, I would stay away from any type of ready made LC food of which you cannot identify its original ingredients. Like bars, shakes, etc. They are known stallers.

Do you not like red meat? This would namely be ideal for a LC way of eating...

Stay away from *******. The calories are too low, the fat is too low and it will not do your body any favours. Stick with a more Atkins style induction and eat liberally from fats and protein, enjoy green leafy vegetables, eat dairy in moderation, keep carbs under 20g. See where that takes you in about two to three weeks.
I have seen dairy prevent losses or slow losses in many people. However, the main reason I say that is because I don't believe humans are meant to consume the milk of other mammals. Of course everyone can do as they see fit, but being dairy-free has changed my life almost as much as being gluten-free has.
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manders View Post
I have seen dairy prevent losses or slow losses in many people. However, the main reason I say that is because I don't believe humans are meant to consume the milk of other mammals. Of course everyone can do as they see fit, but being dairy-free has changed my life almost as much as being gluten-free has.
~points-finger~ PALEO! ~laughter~ (Honestly, I have a number of Paleo friends, and -- aside from some generally higher carb-levels with most of them, this is our "sticking point". I won't give up my dairy (butter, cream, etc), and they won't consume it. SO, I substitute coconut oil when cooking for them, and we all enjoy our high-fat grain-free food together! I recognize that they may be RIGHT about adults not evolving to eat dairy... but I eat it anyway.)

You talk about your protein sources, but not your fat sources. When doing LC, fat is your primary source of "fuel". There should be a fat-source at each meal -- be it full-fat dressing on your salad (some recipe sources for home-made ranch are http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ng-recipe.html and http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-dressing.html, among many others. They are super-fast and easy to whip up!), or mayo in your deviled (not boiled!!) eggs, or the pork-fat I'm planning to use to cook up some collard-greens tonight. (Craving collards, this time of year!)

Dietary fat promotes fullness, decreases appetite, promotes fat-burning, and prevents lean-muscle burning. Things you put in your mouth are either carbs, protein, or fat. You're taking out the carbs, and that's good. But you want to be replacing them as much as possible with FAT, rather than replacing them with protein. Lean protein will leave you less-full and satisfied feeling, will have you getting hungry slightly sooner, and won't have the same metabolic benefits as high fat.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 02-20-2013 at 05:40 AM..
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote