Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandnewlady
Stats: 208/145/138-135
WOE: Undecided!
Start Date: October 2012
GAINING weight?

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this site for a few weeks, you all are amazing.
This might be long so please, be patient with me!

I am in panic mode right now...
Before beginning low carb, I had lost 50 lbs (20 lbs two years ago, 30 lbs from October to December) from eating mainly apples, sweet potato for lunch (everyday for close to a month), vegetables, and mostly baked/sauteed chicken, working out, and prayer! I under ate my calories (1200 a day) by at least 500 on a daily basis, not intentionally but because it was hard to find foods that were low fat AND low calorie.
During those times I had my ups and downs, but after analyzing them, I realized the scale only went up when I had certain carbs. EX: One week I had wheat french toast after my workout every morning - gained 2 lbs. Another time, I had oatmeal every morning after my workouts, gained 2 lbs. When I had brown rice I would bloat the next few days. But apples, sweet potatoes, and LOTS of equal in my green tea never hurt me, in fact the weight was falling off steadily.

So after doing some researching I decided maybe to leave carbs to a minimum. I began induction on January 15 at 152 lbs. The first week went well, but I was undereating my calories by at least 400 a day. At the time I was still afraid of fat so my eating choices were limited. Unfortunately, I learned cheese was allowed (3-4oz) and went crazy. lol, I love being able to eat cheese again. In that first week, my weight fell to 144 lbs. I was beyond happy. I had began to enjoy food again, and all the foods I love. I added bacon after that, and actually began to go a bit overboard with the cheese. I had reached 143, but gained a lb a couple days later. I figured it was because of my TOM but cut back on the cheese anyway and my weight fell down to 142.

Well as of this past week, I've been eating much more and I get
much closer to my calorie limit, but still usually under 1000 a day. About three days I reached 1100, but probably less than that due to my daily hour long walks. I have NEVER gone over my net carbs, and only went over by 2 (if you don't count net carbs) on one day. Yet since Friday, I've been gaining. Haven't dared to step on the scale due to the undesired stress it would cause, but I'm guessing I'm around 145-147. It's very confusing.

Changes I can note are: On Friday, Sat, Sun, and Monday; I fell far behind on my water intake due to being busy, which is usually 4 Liters a day.

I've added nuts since last Wednesday, but only almond and Brazil nuts, and I track my intake so they don't make me go over my daily carbs, not even near it.

I had a diet soda Friday and a 1 Liter bottle of diet lipton tea. (Actually my only diet soda in about... 2 years). I had some sugar free werther's on Monday + sugar free gum (all supposed to be zero net carbs).

My protein percentages were very high for a few days in the past week, I don't know if that's a problem.

I do snack A LOT... but always within my calorie/carb limits.

I am desperate for help, and looking for any kind of guidance. Maybe I need more carbs? My fat is usually 60% or higher. I'm so close to my goal that every lb I gain I can feel and see. Just very discouraging! Before trying low carb, my daily carbs varied but usually were much higher (40-100 grams daily), and I was losing 8 lbs a month. Yes, I worked out 45 mins a day, HIIT + squats + jumping jacks, but I don't have that kind of energy with low carb, so I figured an hour long walk was a good substitute.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated!
brandnewlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Are you trying to do Atkins, or just general low carb? Your words sound like Atkins, but what you're eating definitely does not. It's hard for me to advise you, because you're all over the place. I would just say, get back to basics, stop eating the nuts and candy (sugar alcohols effect some people differently), and just eat whole foods, high fat, moderate protein, very low carb for at least two weeks and see where that takes you.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you are losing weight. just SQUINT at the trend line and don't look at the ups and downs that closely. you need to look at whether you are losing weight over a MONTH, not over a few days. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Are you trying to do Atkins, or just general low carb? Your words sound like Atkins, but what you're eating definitely does not. It's hard for me to advise you, because you're all over the place. I would just say, get back to basics, stop eating the nuts and candy (sugar alcohols effect some people differently), and just eat whole foods, high fat, moderate protein, very low carb for at least two weeks and see where that takes you.
I am on Atkins, though I'm feeling as if it's not for me right now. You are allowed nuts on OWL, so I don't see why it would be a problem. I finished induction, and moved on so I could have nuts. So I'm definitely confused.
The candy issue I completely understand though, lol I had already passed them on to my mother who doesn't have an issue with these sort of things.

Other than the SF gum and candy for that one day, I eat what's allowed: cheese, half&half, tuna, eggs, chicken, bacon, mayo, liquid Splenda, celery, romaine lettuce, green beans, etc. My fats are definitely up there, and my carbs are low. Guess I just don't get it... thanks for your input!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
you are losing weight. just SQUINT at the trend line and don't look at the ups and downs that closely. you need to look at whether you are losing weight over a MONTH, not over a few days. good luck.
Wow, thank you so much. That is a very good point, hadn't stopped to think of it that way. Even if I lost 7 lbs this month (that would be my total loss plus my gain), I'd be impressed with that. Just wish I could stop the bloated look I have right now!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Well, you posted in the induction section, so I wasn't sure what part of the plan you were doing. The thing to remember about OWL is that you add things one at a time, going up the carb ladder, so you can track your progress, and see if certain things stall you. From the site:

Quote:
One at a time. Add only one new food within a rung each day or several days. That way, if a food reawakens cravings or uncontrollable hunger, causes gastric distress or stalls or reverses weight loss, you can easily identify it—and back off for the time being. So, for example, at rung 4 you might start with a small portion of blueberries. Assuming no problems, move on to strawberries a couple of days later. In OWL, most people can also consume additional low-carb specialty foods beyond those suitable for Induction. Again, try them one at a time to assess any reactions.
Ravenrose is right, though: if you look at my weight loss graph, it's chock full of ups and downs. Mostly when I got to a new low, the scale would jump back up again, then dip down to another new low, up, down, down, up, and on and on. The most important thing is that at the end of any time period, there are always net losses.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewlady View Post
Wow, thank you so much. That is a very good point, hadn't stopped to think of it that way. Even if I lost 7 lbs this month (that would be my total loss plus my gain), I'd be impressed with that. Just wish I could stop the bloated look I have right now!
I wasn't going to respond because I only weigh and measure my body once per month, so I don't any insight into daily scale ups and downs. Also, I'm not a *fast* loser so I have no idea what advice I could give someone about maximizing their rate of fat loss.

But I can tell you that I *only* lost 10 pounds in my first month -- exactly 10 scale pounds. Then, I lost exactly 10 pounds the second month. After that, I had monthly ups and downs. For example, I only lost 1.5 pounds throughout my entire fifth month. But I have religiously stuck to the Atkins induction instructions and food list in the book I'm following -- the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution -- and I'm currently in my 8th month on the diet and I'm currently down 62.5 pounds from my starting weight. It took me, like, 7 years to put the weight on. So even though I'm not one of the *faster* fat losers, I'm still losing fat A LOT faster than I gained it.

My trainer measures several points on my body each month and even when I lost very little scale weight during the month -- as in the month when I only lost 1.5 pounds -- I have consistently lost inches each month. I've lost inches in different places during different months, but I've always lost some inches somewhere. So I honestly haven't felt upset, no matter what the scale says at the end of the month.

As a relatively *slow* loser who started with 100 pounds to lose, all I can do is be patient and consistent in my adherence to the diet. You might be a *fast* loser who is just having a blip on the scale right now -- you're at a very early stage of the program so it's impossible to tell what the future holds for you. But if you're in the slow category, like me, just being patient and consistent will provide amazing results. It just takes people like me a bit more time to see those results.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Well, you posted in the induction section, so I wasn't sure what part of the plan you were doing. The thing to remember about OWL is that you add things one at a time, going up the carb ladder, so you can track your progress, and see if certain things stall you. From the site:

Ravenrose is right, though: if you look at my weight loss graph, it's chock full of ups and downs. Mostly when I got to a new low, the scale would jump back up again, then dip down to another new low, up, down, down, up, and on and on. The most important thing is that at the end of any time period, there are always net losses.
You're totally right about my method of adding foods, I've added two different kinds of nuts, bacon, sugar free jell-o, and almond milk (no carbs but the point still stands).

Thank you this was very helpful!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I wasn't going to respond because I only weigh and measure my body once per month, so I don't any insight into daily scale ups and downs. Also, I'm not a *fast* loser so I have no idea what advice I could give someone about maximizing their rate of fat loss.

But I can tell you that I *only* lost 10 pounds in my first month -- exactly 10 scale pounds. Then, I lost exactly 10 pounds the second month. After that, I had monthly ups and downs. For example, I only lost 1.5 pounds throughout my entire fifth month. But I have religiously stuck to the Atkins induction instructions and food list in the book I'm following -- the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution -- and I'm currently in my 8th month on the diet and I'm currently down 62.5 pounds from my starting weight. It took me, like, 7 years to put the weight on. So even though I'm not one of the *faster* fat losers, I'm still losing fat A LOT faster than I gained it.

My trainer measures several points on my body each month and even when I lost very little scale weight during the month -- as in the month when I only lost 1.5 pounds -- I have consistently lost inches each month. I've lost inches in different places during different months, but I've always lost some inches somewhere. So I honestly haven't felt upset, no matter what the scale says at the end of the month.

As a relatively *slow* loser who started with 100 pounds to lose, all I can do is be patient and consistent in my adherence to the diet. You might be a *fast* loser who is just having a blip on the scale right now -- you're at a very early stage of the program so it's impossible to tell what the future holds for you. But if you're in the slow category, like me, just being patient and consistent will provide amazing results. It just takes people like me a bit more time to see those results.
10 lbs in one month is awesome weight loss to me! Like I stated before, on my best months I lose 8 lbs. =) congrats on your weight loss, and thanks for the advice. I know now to look at the big picture while listening to my body, which I don't think responds well to nuts. =/ we'll see.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
The closer you get to goal, the harder it is to loose. losing 10 pounds in a week when someone is so close to goal is extraordinary. In order to get to goal, everyone needs to really watch their diet. Being so new and having such little data, it is hard to tell what will work for your particular body. I would recommend that you stick with induction foods and only introduce stuff outside the induction food list on a very limited basis one at a time. That way you can figure out what works and doesn't work for your particular body. Share what you are doing, and other will help you analyze the data as you go.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Are you saying you are eating less than 1000 calories a day? Is there a reason you are aiming for that few? That is like doing a fat fast, and only to be done in extreme metabolic resistance cases.

You may also be lacking in energy because of the low calories, not the low carb. If I would eat as few calories as you do day in day out, I would probably be in a vegetative state on my sofa most of the day!
That is definitely not enough calories! How tall are you?
And you don't need 4 liters of water per day... You may be flushing out electrolytes when you drink that much water, and thus retaining fluids...

I would up the calories, eat induction allowed foods and go up the carb ladder slowly, and look at the general tendency of your weightloss over a month. This way you get a good idea if the trend is downwards, like Ravenrose said.

Being so close to goal, you are going to see more fluctuations and less weightloss in general.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!
xx

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
This is just a guess based on your low calorie counts. I think you might still be scared of fats.

A tbl of olive oil with some lemon juice on your salad offers 120 calories of good fat.
Eggs and butter are great foods which provide fat. In my opinion, choosing pastured butter and hormone-free/antibiotic-free eggs is super-dooperly healthy, but I acknowledge regular grocery store dairy stuff is fine for a lot of folks,too.

Fat found naturally in foods is delicious and good for you and can amp up your calorie intake in a good way. Chicken thighs. Big old steak. Wild-caught salmon. Avocado. Olives.