Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: williamson_ja
Back because I feel awful....

So, I did Atkins last year and lost quite a bit of weight. I was down to about 142- which is dang good for me. Then in the fall, I started working WAY too much and I didn't have the time and energy to make the correct food. I started to eat whatever was around just so that I didn't have to starve that day. I gained 15 pounds in 3 months on top of having incredible amounts of stress. I decided to really cut back my work hours, which I did starting at Christmas break. For some reason at this time, I had been brain-washed by everyone around me into thinking that a whole grains/low fat type of diet is much more healthy and now that I have time, I really should eat "healthy" in order to lose the weight that I recently gained.

It is now a month later and I haven't lost one pound. I might have continued to eat that way "for health reasons" if that was all. The real issue is that I feel horrible! I'm having digestive issues, I'm tired, I'm HUNGRY all day, and I have just been waking up every day with gas, bloating, indigestion, etc. I if this so healthy, why do I feel so awful? My little girl is also just starving all day. I feed her a huge meal, but it doesn't satisfy her and she's hungry again for another big meal 1-2 hours later. I noticed that she's starting to put on extra weight and that worries me. This is eating stuff like: berry smoothies, salad with light dressing, whole wheat and veggie sandwiches, bean burritoes on a whole grain tortilla, lots of raw fruits and veggies, etc. I'm having mood swings, crazy cravings for anything with sugar (which I never had on Atkins), etc.

I woke up today and said, "THAT's IT!" I don't care who says what. I can't eat that way any more. When I am on Atkins, I feel fantastic! I have energy, the weight comes off, my skin looks better, everything is better. Today I ate scrambled eggs with cheese and broccoli for breakfast. I don't think I'll be having those crazy sugar ups and downs after that! a

Anyhow, I'm back for support and encouragement. I'm starting at 157 lbs today (I was 142 in Sept. uggh) At least I know the difference between how I feel when I try the typical healthy diet and low carb. Also, I read wheat belly and found it to be very true. Hope to see you all here often.
williamson_ja is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
Welcome back!
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kizz4k
Stats: 208/189/175 5'9
WOE: Low. Carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
You are right, about feeling like crap and always starving when eating carbs. That's why I came back too. Good for you to follow what your body tells you instead of listening to everyone else! If you want an induction buddy, I would love to be yours and encourage each other in this journey
Kizz4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizz4k View Post
You are right, about feeling like crap and always starving when eating carbs. That's why I came back too. Good for you to follow what your body tells you instead of listening to everyone else! If you want an induction buddy, I would love to be yours and encourage each other in this journey
Thanks! Sounds great. I always love buddies.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Particularly since you were able to be convinced that low fat is "healthy", pick up a copy of Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat. It's an easy, informative read that will give you all the information you need to stick with this lifestyle with confidence.

(Yes, I admit this was a "recent read" for me, and therefore I'm pushing it on everyone. )

Welcome back to a TRULY healthy way of eating. They can fool our brains, but not our bodies! Listen to your body -- it knows.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 274.9 / CW 263.3 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson_ja View Post
I'm having mood swings, crazy cravings for anything with sugar (which I never had on Atkins), etc.
This is exactly why I came back too. Losing the weight is a bonus to me now--not the "main thing", and because I remember how I felt before, I think I will actually stay eating this way. I just want to feel better. I am tired of feeling tired, drained, unhealthy, and just plain sick.

Welcome back!
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome back!! We'll help UNbrainwash you from Low fat! LOL!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Particularly since you were able to be convinced that low fat is "healthy", pick up a copy of Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat. It's an easy, informative read that will give you all the information you need to stick with this lifestyle with confidence.

(Yes, I admit this was a "recent read" for me, and therefore I'm pushing it on everyone. )

Welcome back to a TRULY healthy way of eating. They can fool our brains, but not our bodies! Listen to your body -- it knows.
I'll try to get it. Is it available on kindle? I love being able to download books instantly. lol.

BTW, I'm so happy to be back here. I feel great today. No cravings at all. I made the most delicious dinner ever. It was parmesan chicken strips fried in butter and olive oil with home-made ranch dressing (omg best recipe ever) and green salad. I kept thinking how yummy it was the whole dinner. What I like best is getting done with a meal and not feeling like I'm still hungry... and not having cravings an hour later! Best ever!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
That, and all the rich food (ie: those chicken strips -- sound amazing, I may make some soon!) you get to enjoy, guilt-free.

It seems that there IS a kindle-edition. (I DESPISE e-books, unless it's for a title that's otherwise unavailable. So it took me a minute to even figure out how to find out. lol)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Seems your body and mind are pretty clear, they don't like sugar and carbs. Now it is your job to to just do it. Don't fight with your body and mind, it usually doesn't end well.

WELCOME HOME!!!
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote