Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Hi, new here.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/795733-hi-new-here.html)

Saltsandsea 01-29-2013 03:26 PM

Hi, new here....

Tomorrow is my 14th day of induction, does anyone have tips to combat the third week stall I have been hearing about? Also, is it better to stay in induction untill you are closer to your goal or transition after two weeks?

ravenrose 01-29-2013 04:14 PM

hi. it's not a "stall," it's just that OF COURSE you won't keep losing weight as fast as you have. you know that.

I think if you have a lot of weight to lose, it's better to stay at induction carb levels for a lot longer than two weeks. there is no reason to add carbs at this point when you have a long time before you are near goal weight. good luck!

Saltsandsea 01-29-2013 05:00 PM

Awesome!! Thanks!

LiterateGriffin 01-29-2013 06:05 PM

lol I'm a little past a year at <20 net carbs/day as a goal. (I'm past induction, and, well, it's been a YEAR, so sometimes there are accidents -- either carb-creep, or moving cross country, or taking a bite of something and realizing, "That's SWEETENED!"... stuff happens. :) )

Stay at this level as long as you like.

The thing about moving past Induction is that -- as long as you count your carbs and keep them low enough -- you can begin adding back in foods like nuts, that allow you a great deal more variety and flexibility in your diet.

Go slowly, though, adding in new foods. Do it one food at a time, so you can see how you, personally, tolerate each one. Do nuts make you completely stall, or do they help you keep in ketosis? Does it trigger cravings? Or does it satisfy a craving you've been having, so you can move on?

During induction, a lot of the weight you lose isn't technically fat. It's actually water that's bound up with glycogen in your tissues. It's real loss -- this isn't just "retained" water, but water that's been chemically bound up in your body. It's simply the first step in the weight-loss process: Getting rid of that, so we can start burning our body-fat.

Then, the much more satisfying process of losing body-fat begins. This isn't quite as fast (for most people, anyway) as losing all that water. That's OK -- you're "still" losing, and these are the losses that'll really change your life. :) This is when you'll really start to feel the increased energy, and all the other wonderful "side effects" of this lifestyle.

Saltsandsea 01-30-2013 04:04 PM

Thank you so much! I have been so careful with the carbs and have stayed below 20 a day, not intending to. I guess I'm in ketosis because I'm never hungry, I could eat one meal and one snack a day and be good. I do try to make myself eat dinner because I don't want my metabolism to slow. The shark sandwich post caught my attention and I have been reading it, I recognized you from there. Y'all's stories are so inspiring and I'm only on pg 4!
I'm soo ready to burn fat and see how for I can push my body in the other direction.
Also, on induction can you take OTC meds for congestion and sore throat? I know honey and Jack D is a no no, but are the OTC meds full of sugar and "alcohol" too? I have some mint-green tea but it only last for a few min. and I don't want to chug it all day...