Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Robofitz
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/7/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmy View Post
Respectfully could you please cite the scientific journals you've read these "links" in? I've searched all over the net at times to find credible sources of research that didn't involve things like consuming aspartame on the equivalent of 50-100 servings of it in a single day. Or it's supposed calcium leeching ability which has been shown to have the same level effect as things such as natural orange juice.

I recently switched from drinking diet soda to water, but mostly for cost sake, not because I believe any of the chemicals are harmful. I would legitimately be interested to read some recent research if has been shown to be harmful. The worst things I've read recently are THEORIES that the sweet taste in artificial sweeteners might result in an insulin response. However I've not read anything that has actually showed empirical evidence.
Google: Is Diet Soda Bad For You? - Prevention Magazine; Diet Coke Side Effects on Diet Drink Addiction site; Diet soda dramatically increases depression risk AND Diet soda news, articles and information, on naturalnews site.
Robofitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
The is no hard science proving that aspartame is harmful. I personally think that there might be something to the thought that bisphenol is causing harm, especially to infants and children, but that's just my own opinion.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: facelessnumber
Stats: 265/167/165
WOE: Induction+high protein+weights
Start Date: 7/2012
Eh, whatever. The original question wasn't whether aspertame will make you become sterile, turn blue and grow a third nipple. I'm sure it will do all that too. The question was whether one can drink it and still succeed with induction, and the answer is yes.
facelessnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessnumber View Post
Eh, whatever. The original question wasn't whether aspertame will make you become sterile, turn blue and grow a third nipple. I'm sure it will do all that too. The question was whether one can drink it and still succeed with induction, and the answer is yes.
hahahahahah this is funny!!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessnumber View Post

This might be a better article on the subject of the original question. I personally used to be a diet soda junkie and after cutting it out of my diet (which was soooo hard) I started to notice a lot of changes. I started dropping weight, no more mirgraines, better sleep, better mind clarity and less mood swings. While I see that some are very passionate on the subject of "diet soda" and defending it, I am only adding my two cents on the subject and how much better I personally felt after I stopped drinking it, and yes related to weight.
Google: naturalnews diet soda weight gain

I do agree that if you make the switch from regular soda to diet soda you will most definitely lose weight, but in the long run it isnt any better for you.

Last edited by Robofitz; 02-11-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
I drink diet soda and iced tea sweetened with Sweet and Low all the time and it doesn't seem to stall me at all!
Bethanyblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
medical journals with no (haha or few) agendas as well as the NIH and various cancer societies are the best source for scientific information about aspartame. just sayin. that doesn't mean that one shouldn't be interested in what people are eating. There are health concerns about most things one can ingest, including fruit and vegetables (e.g., pesticides as well as modified crops), grain (same), fish (mercury), meat (additives, pink sludge, whatever you name it). JUST sayin.

Here's what the National Cancer Institute says about aspartame:
"Artificial sweeteners are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans.
Studies have been conducted on the safety of several artificial sweeteners, including saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, neotame, and cyclamate."

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AllieBee
Stats: 221/221/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 1, 2013
I don't know if it's any better for me, but I know some diet sodas are now sweetened with sucralose instead of aspartame. If it's the only caffeine or artificial sweetener I drink all day, I might go for it a few times a week. I find that a soda takes care of my sweets cravings rather than set them off.
AllieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #39
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I've cut way back on diet sodas. I used to drink 4-6 cans per day of diet Mountain Dew per day. I remember when I did Atkins 10 years go there was a strict no caffiene rule... That was the hardest part for me because I drink 3-4 large mugs of coffee in the morning too. I remember the headaches from caffiene withdrawal.

I'm still drinking the coffee... And I still have a can of diet soda here and there too. Artificial sweeteners do affect the brain's ability to tell you when you're full. If you're not low-carbing it this can lead to weight gain.

I exercise a lot so I sometimes drink Powerade Zero for some electrolytes and I also can drink a whole pitcher of Crystal Lite fruit punch in a day when I'm doing a lot of yard work!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Personally, I drink a LOT of diet pepsi and it doesn't affect my losses any. I thought it might be, so I quit drinking it for a while. That was so hard! Horrific headaches for days and just feeling cruddy in general, but my losses weren't any better. So I added it back in, and there wasn't any difference either. I also told my Dr that I had stopped drinking it and she asked "Why?". She told me that unless it stimulates my appetite, (which it doesn't for me), then there's no reason for me to give it up and it isn't going to affect my weight loss one way or the other.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffery
Stats: 418/308/215
Start Date: December 2012
i've stayed in the induction phase since starting (3+ months) and drink diet coke every day. i also do diet: rootbeer, squirt, mt. dew, sierra mist, sunkist, etc. it hasn't hindered my weight loss that i'm aware of. i test my levels of ketosis often and pretty much stay in the moderate-large area. friends (non-low-carbers) constantly tell me that i should cut out the diet soda because they see that i drink it all the time, but for me it gives the sweet fix when i need it, and i'm still seeing results.

Last edited by Jeffery; 04-07-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #42
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
I can tell you I tried some of that Zevia soda sweetened with Stevia. I had such high hopes. I bought a 6 pack of their version of Mountain Dew.

Yuck, I couldn't finish a can of it. I'll just stick to regular diet soda if I get the craving.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I like the zevia ginger root beer at lot. The cream soda would be a distant second choice. I don't care for any of the other flavors.
This is my go to treat, but I don't go there very often.

Last edited by Patience; 04-09-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vsmini
I work at a cancer center, have worked here for 8 years, and not one oncologist would encourage any of our patients to drink soda and these aren't doctors that just watch the news and go with whatever is hot in the media - these are people that are up to date on research that won't be published for another 6 months. We have 35 oncologists in our building who would absolutely recommend that people stay away from it. Aspartame is controversial right now. Do I believe it is bad for you? Yes, absolutely - Do I have journal articles to link you to? No but I have them here in our library and we can't link each other to most journals because most of them require online subscriptions. Most of it comes up inconclusive but there are thousands of articles talking about what processed foods and refined good can and have proved to do to the body - that research you can do on your own. Yes - it is more convenient to say "I don't believe it" and continue to consume soda, I understand and until we have a direct correlation between severe health issues and Aspartame (like we do with smoking and lung cancer) we won't be able to convince soda-lovers of anything else.

Personally - I think belly fat is more unhealthy/dangerous than daily aspartame consumption so there is a trade off! If you can get 30+lbs off of your frame and diet soda helps you do that then maybe it's a better option.

Now more to the point - do I believe it will mess with your weightloss goals? directly? NO but the crap that's in diet soda makes most bodies crave sugar and usually that results in a binge of some sort and does deter weight loss. How can you tell if you're affected? Do you gain weight after you get off a diet, a diet where you were allowing yourself to drink diet soda and had to get off of the diet because you were always hungry and wanted sugar? If so, that could be a very probable cause. From my experience, years ago, diet soda made my weight loss near impossible.

Also - do you mean weight loss as in a month or two of losing weight or consistent weight loss over a period of a year or more? I say - stop drinking soda for a year and see what happens. That's what I did and I noticed a huge difference. Huge.

Last edited by vsmini; 04-11-2013 at 12:09 PM..
vsmini is offline   Reply With Quote