Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mecove
Stats: 210/200/175
Start Date: January 7, 2013
Need help...last resort

I have been on induction for over 3 weeks. The first 10 days, I lost 9lbs. It has been almost 20 days, and I have not lost anything since then. I have not cheated at all. I always stayed around 1000 calories, and wondering if that was the reason? Do you have to have high fat in order to lose weight? I am exercising and staying below 15 carbs a day.....just by spinach and broccoli. I don't want to give up, but it's been almost 3 weeks without seeing one pound drop. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated!
Mecove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Yeah you have to be high fat. You need to be eating 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein and 5% carbs. 1,000 calories isn't enough. During the initial induction phase, you aren't supposed to focus on calories at all just eat from the list of approved induction foods and stop with you are satisfied. My first guess would be your not eating enough.

What have you been eating? List your menus from the last few days and we can get if figured out. There are also websites that help you track your menus and let you know your percentages. Go to one of them and put your stuff in and see where you are off.

Also, have you been drinking your water? At your weight, you should be drinking around 100 ounces of water a day.

Don't give up, let us figure this thing out together.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I can't thank you enough for just responding! Today ismamcrazy schedule with the kids, but I will list menus soon. I just started changing it up, adding lots of fat to see if that will help. The past 3 weeks has just been salads and grilled chicken, very little cheese. I was trying to eat healthy, which kept my calls under 1000. I am now adding hot dogs, cream, butter, olive oil to add some fat. Thanks again....it means so much to see others wanting to help!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK... hot dogs are processed, are full of nitrites/nitrates, AND contain sugar -- they are not what you want to be adding in.

Some healthy ways to add fat:
  • Deviled eggs. Egg salad. Tuna salad.
  • Olives. (Bonus points if stuffed with cream cheese!)
  • Avocado
  • Full-fat, homemade salad dressing. (Here are some threads with recipes. These generally take about 1.5 minutes to make: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-dressing.html http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...c-no-mayo.html http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ng-recipe.html, just to get you started)
  • Alfredo (or other cream-sauce) on your chicken. (On low heat, melt 1 stick of butter with around 1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC for short), some shredded mozzarella and fresh parmasean. Stir until melted. It'll thicken as it cools. Save the leftovers, and stir into scrambled eggs in the morning.)
  • Buy the fatty cuts of meat. Opt for the thigh, leg, or wing, rather than the breast. Choose rib-eye over sirloin. Pork shoulder over pork loin. And in all of those cases, don't trim the fat!
  • Eat the skin on your chicken.
  • HWC in your coffee, if I haven't mentioned it already.

Notice that the first several things can be tossed on top of your salad?

Make sure that whenever you're hungry, you're eating, and eating something FATTY. This is absolutely key. Don't worry about calories or quantity right now. We've got a guy here who was just posting that when he started this plan, back in Oct. or so, he had to eat 8 eggs to be satisfied in the morning (along with I think bacon and some other induction-friendly stuff). This morning, he ate two, along with appropriately scaled sides, and it was too much food. As long as you stick to the plan, and get plenty of fat, the calories WILL take care of themselves in the end, because the fat will make you stop being hungry. You'll end up eating less, because you need less food.

For now, make sure you're getting the fat you need, and you should start seeing better losses.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
MeCove - I wanted to add that losing 10 pounds in 20 days is incredibly fast. Even though you lost it during the first few days and have not lost since, it's still incredibly fast. Your body is adjusting and resting. It's not a stall, but a temporary resting period before more weight loss will resume. Most people around here call that a post-induction stall or slowdown. It tends to happen anywhere from week 2 to week 4, and can last a few weeks.

Having said that, I do think you should increase your calories to at least 1200, if not 1400. 1000 is very low and can stress your body unnecessarily. Some people do better on high fat, some do better on moderate to lower fat. It's a trial by error thing. So try adding some healthy fat (butter to your veggies, full fat ranch to your salad, and some bacon with the eggs). It will both increase your fat and calories. I bet in another week, you'll see some losses.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I had no idea. I thought the healthier I eat, the better and faster results. I have to retrain my brain! Breakfast was coffe with HWC, lunch was a chicken thigh with HWC sauce and brusselsprouts cooked with bacon. Snack was bacon, and dinner will be something high in protein, no veggies since I had brusselsprouts earlier. Does this sound ok? Thank you everyone for your advice. It is so reassuring to see this, when I am trying this here on my own!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I eat veggies at least twice a day. I stay at or under 20 net carbs per day.

So for me:
B- leftover meat or eggs w/bacon or sausage
L- salad greens with real ranch dressing and some meat/chicken on top
D-cooked veg (1/2 to full cup) or salad w/real dressing,some meat/poultry, maybe a little cheese or cream cheese or cream for a recipe
snack- optional, salami, or celery sticks with a little tuna salad, or a sweet treat (homemade. I don't use the sugar free candies from the grocery store. my personal rule is no more than 3-4 carbs from this. so sugar free jello w/sugarfree whipped cream, or a small serving from a recipe room treat, such as no-bake lemon cheesecake)

ETA:forgot to mention, if I'm hungrier than usual, I'll add a couple teaspoons extra of olive oil to my salad or veggies. fat makes me feel full.

Last edited by emel; 02-02-2013 at 09:05 AM..
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Start Date: April 2014
In addition to what the others have said about upping your calories, be moderate in your exercise routine. Too much exercise will cause your muscles to hold on to water.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecove View Post
I had no idea. I thought the healthier I eat, the better and faster results. I have to retrain my brain!
The problem is, how do you define "healthy"?

Because the official advice we've been given for the last 30 years -- eat lots of grains, avoid fats especially saturated fats -- is extremely UNHEALTHY, despite it still being the "official policy".

Here's some viewing material for you:

Fathead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyOD1W1DPg

Just a little bit
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecove View Post
I had no idea. I thought the healthier I eat, the better and faster results. !
This way of eating throws a lot of conventional wisdom on it head. It takes most people a little while to change their thinking. Watch those video and read. There is plenty of good science to support this way of eating. FAT is good for you, SUGAR in all of its forms is bad. Low Fat usually means they take out the fat and add sugar.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Yep, fat wont make you fat. Also, cutting out dairy has been a life-changing experience for me. I blasted thru my plateau at 172 pounds, and I'm in virgin numbers now. All the above advice is spot on.
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
mecove -- are you still with us? how has it been going?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote