Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Do you calorie count?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/795445-do-you-calorie-count.html)

Maddierose 01-26-2013 09:25 AM

Do you calorie count??

I am starting induction, again, and I am curious if people count calories. If you do, does it aid in your weight loss? If you do, what is your calorie limit per day?? I have read stories of people who have lost weight successfully, some eat all the low carb they want and others calorie count with low carb.

Psmileyf 01-26-2013 09:31 AM

I counted calories during induction, but I didn't limit them. I just liked to keep track of them so that I had a realistic view of what I was eating.

I would not recommend trying to restrict calories during induction.

Jaded62 01-26-2013 09:32 AM

NO. I only count net carbs.IF you are doing Atkins you might want to go to their website and read up on induction.HTH.

Maddierose 01-26-2013 12:19 PM

Thank you! I have read the books and website. Seems some do and some do not count calories.

Geekin' in Utah 01-26-2013 08:21 PM

I don't intentionally. I track carbs on Atkins site and it gives me a rough calculation of calories (I say rough because I optimize tracking for carbs not calories, which may miscalculate some calories).

The interesting thing is that, while I don't care at all about calories, my general calorie consumption is surprisingly low. Take today: 120g of fat, 100g of protein, 22g of net carbs (a bit higher than I like) and 1600 calories.

Big Stevie 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

No I don't but I track them if that makes sense. I have found that I naturally fluctuate between 1,700 and 1,900 calories a day without thinking about it. Get one of the online trackers. They are helpful to ensure your fat, protein and carbs are in the proper ratios. (approximately 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein and 5% carbs should be your target.) Again, if you just control carbs, your proteins and fats usually fall in line for most people.

Don't worry about calories and just control your carbs. The calories will take care of themselves. If you aren't losing, then look into them along with what you are eating in order to figure out why.

Avy 01-28-2013 09:14 PM

I track everything, if I don't, I don't lose. It's entirely too easy to overeat for me. Keeping track keeps me accountable and eating at a reasonable level, and keeps the loses strong. :)

Ntombi 01-28-2013 10:40 PM

No. I never have. I follow the rules of Induction, eat what's on the list, and keep my carbs low. That's it.

I use a diet and exercise app and I input my foods some days (if I'm eating the same things over and over, I don't bother), so my calories are listed, but most days I don't even look at them.

Japhy 01-29-2013 10:08 AM

I track everything I eat, just to make sure I'm not going overboard on anything. I have a specific calorie range I like to stay in between 1000-1500 calories per day (but it's really flexible...obviously if I'm hungry I'll just eat more) but I hardly have an appetite anyway so sometimes it's hard to even eat that much!