Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovinlowcarb
Stomach Pain

I have been doing the induction phase of Atkins for about 3 weeks on Wednesday night I had a terrible stomach experience, it felt like I had trapped gas and I could not belch or pass gas, I tried turning over and over in bed to try to get some relief but could not get any, around 1 am I had to get up and get a cold bathcloth because I felt like I was going to faint, the feeling of trapped gas was gone by Thursday morning but for the past 2 days it hurts to even touch my stomach in the area right below my rib cage, I have had a colonoscopy and endoscope in the past month and the doc. says everything is fine but that was before I started Atkins. Has anyone else had these type problems and what did you do to relieve them? Thanks for the help.
lovinlowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imamamax3
Stats: 209/198/150
WOE: Induction/Very Low Carb
have you thought about gall stones? I have had those and thats just what the pain felt like. it was like a horrible gas type pressure just under the ribs that made it impossible to get comfortable couldn't lay down couldn't sit up. i would take a couple tylonol and a hot waterbottle on the area then prop up 4 or 5 pillows behind me so that i was laying at an incline before i could even remotely get relief. and it always seemed to happen in the middle of the night. if that sounds anything like your symptoms you might be dealing with gall stones. that was long before i did atkins, so i don't think the two are related but you might want to look into that.
imamamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Yep, could be gall stones.

I've got some gall bladder issues. When it comes on, I make myself throw up and it goes away. My doctor doesn't support this method of treatment, but she said it works because the violent nature of throwing up gets the sludge out of the duct. (The doctor recommends seeing a surgeon, but...I guess I am waiting until it gets so bad that I have to have emergency surgery. Stupid, I know.)
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 295.0/283.2/195.0
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Does very much sound like gall bladder issues or just plain old gas/constipation. Does it come on after eating a fatty meal?

I had to have my gallbladder taken out after a night of horrible pain, where I truly thought I was dying (dramatic much, but it hurt worse than childbirth!!) People do live with this, but you may see more flare ups of symptoms while low carbing because of the high content of fat you need to eat. See if its because of what you are eating, and then maybe you can find your triggers.

If its constipation, up your fiber, eat more broccoli, and drink more water.

Hope you start to feel better!!

Goal #1: 265.0 (Back to where I was last year!)
Goal #2: 240.0 (Back to where I was 2 years ago, seeing a trend )
Goal #3: 215.0 (Almost there!)
Goal #4: 195.0 (GOOOOOAAAAL!)
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovinlowcarb
Hi everyone: It cannot be gall stones because I had my gall bladder removed about 4 years ago but the pain does resemble the pain I was experiencing when I had my gall bladder removed, I just ate a small serving of mashed potatoes to see if that would help someone on another suggested to eat a small amount of a starchy food and see if that helps, it is back to induction tomorrow plus a lot of water. Thanks for all the help.
lovinlowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
sounds like acid reflux to me. I have been having this lately too. ugh. try Pepcid generic and add Gaviscon chewable if you have to. I don't think they are really low carb, but if you are dying, sometimes you gotta. carbonated water can encourage the burping that can relieve it too. when it's bad enough, the only thing that fixes it for me is throwing up. again, not something I really recommend, but good to know if you think you can't bear the pain!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Try eating the 1 minute muffins. (a flax seed muffin do a search on this forum for the recipe.) That is what I do when I experience those kinds of issues.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote