Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Feeling yucky (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/795205-feeling-yucky.html)

rndiane 01-23-2013 04:37 PM

Feeling yucky

Second day of induction. I feel sick, headache.....flu like. Just out of curiosity, I checked my ketones and I am at a moderate level already. I just want to go to bed and forget about dinner.

Jaded62 01-23-2013 05:26 PM

You have what most of us call the induction flu. Drink water and chicken broth.I like POWERADE ZERO.It helps me to get over it fast.It usually last for just a day or two. Hope you feel better.

LiterateGriffin 01-25-2013 04:09 AM

Pickles, broth, lots of water... Make sure you're getting enough fat, too.

This WILL pass. You're having an electrolyte imbalance, because your body is dumping its glycogen stores, and that's washing away a lot of minerals with it. Drink like there's no tomorrow, and make sure you ingest things (like the pickles and broth) that will help replace the electrolytes you need.

I swear, this passes. Think of it as "withdrawal symptoms". Once you're through this, you'll start to feel better than you have in a long, long time.

rndiane 01-25-2013 05:18 AM

TY, the replies. I feel better this morning but I will start drinking broth; salt sounds good. I still have a little headache but my head is stuffy this morning. I'm at the tail end of a cold. Day 3, yesterday, AF. It was hard at work yesterday and some people at work said, they were going home and having a glass of wine:sad:. I really had to fight not having a drink.

DairyQueen 01-25-2013 05:30 AM

Keep your eyes on the prize.....a healthier, thinner you!!

LiterateGriffin 01-25-2013 08:44 AM

Wow, you've got a lot hitting you at once! AF, a cold, and induction!

Once you've held out a little longer, this is all going to get so much easier!

Not only does this diet tend to make you NEED a little more salt than you used to, but it also cuts out a lot of the sodium we USED to eat, when we were living on processed foods and drinking soda.

I enjoy being able to indulge my "salt-tooth", with things like salty seaweed-snacks (or salted nuts, since I'm past Induction). This summer, despite being "On plan" for months, I suddenly found myself with a lot of the symptoms you described. I made some broth, and started deliberately eating a little saltier for a couple days, and felt better like magic. :)

As for wanting a drink....

I'm NOT an alcoholic, and have never had a drinking problem. But some days, I'd come home from a bad day at work, and announce, "I need a drink!" I'd then walk over to the cupboard where we kept the booze, and pull out an empty bottle of very expensive whisky (my "I-need-a-drink" of choice). I'd open it, and take a good, long smell (the first step in drinking really good whisky, just as it is with wine). Then I'd re-cork the bottle and start unwinding, exactly as if I'd had a "hit".

Scent is very powerful -- it works directly on some fairly primitive centers of the brain, related to emotion. Something similar might help, on those days when it just feels like you "need" to unwind with a glass of wine, but you're not willing to compromise your eating plan for it, if you think you're willing to perform the mental judo involved.

If not... Some club soda with a spoonful of lemon or lime juice (or pomegranate, or unsweetened cranberry, once you're past induction).