Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmarch07
WOE: Atkins for now... would love to get back to Paleo!
Start Date: restart January 2013
Artificial Sweeteners

Hello!

I'm trying so hard to stay low carb, but I find myself frequently needing something sweet! The problem is I cannot STAND the taste of artificial sweeteners. I've tried them all... splenda, truvia, sweet n low... hate them all. It's that after taste. I'm not sure if anyone has found a better alternative, but any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?
jmarch07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It's strange that even though these sweeteners are TOTALLY unrelated chemically they all bother you in the same way. Are you sure you don't have a mental prejudice against them that makes you hyperalert to finding that aftertaste? Used sparingly, just enough to make it sweet and not a bit more, most people find at least some of them ok...

Now I agree most presweetned foods are SUPER oversweetened. Diet soft drinks, for example. If I want to drink one (with Splenda, I can't use aspartame) I dilute it 50/50 with water to tone done that excessive sweetness.

the other thing is that artificial sweeteners stay sweet in the mouth longer than sugar. of course they do, since sugar is being eaten by bacteria in your mouth so the sweetness goes away. maybe you can feel better about the aftertaste thinking of it this way. the sweetness in your mouth is a reassurance you are not feeding tooth decay bacteria.

good luck finding something you like.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
I prefer liquid stevia. Have you tried that?
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK, you remember that sweeteners are "forbidden" on Induction, right?

When you crave something sweet, eat a dill pickle. Seriously -- try it. (I know, I know -- I'm crazy and it won't work. Try it anyway.)

Sweet and sour cravings are actually deeply linked. In nature, sweet foods (ie: FRUIT) are often high in acid -- particularly Vitamin C. Make sure you're taking a solid C-supplement. (I have witnessed a group of people with limited food-options start craving fruit and -- when they couldn't get it -- switch to craving candy.) This is why the pickle works. It's not actually the pickle -- it's the vinegar.

Back to what you ACTUALLY asked about -- I've heard that mixing sweeteners diminishes the aftertaste. But again, I strongly recommend you avoid them altogether as much as you can.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondosaurusrex
Stats: 280/225/140
WOE: Atkins (Induction)
Start Date: October 2011/Restart: February 2013
Liquid sucralose is my favorite. EZSweetz is a favorite on here, but I buy the relatively new Sucralose to Go by Nevella. I found it in my local walmart and I was totally stoked to see they finally carried a liquid sucralose product. However, be careful with sweeteners. It's easy to still be addicted to all the sweet low carb junk food. Real food is always better. But liquid sucralose is a great "training wheels" product. I use it in my coffee and tea and then slowly decrease the amount. It's hard to train your body to want sweets less, but it's doable.
blondosaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Erythritol and liquid stevia combined make an excellent sweetener and they don't have that aftertaste.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
agree with combining them.
I like erythritol, liquid stevia, and sometimes a little da vinci syrup, which is sweetened with liquid sucralose.

A dash of salt or a pinch of cinnamon will mask the weird taste. Also, salt enhances/balances sweetness, so you can use a bit less sweetener.
I cut back on sweeteners in just about every recipe--- if it calls for 1/2 a cup, I'll use about 1/3 cup.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post

When you crave something sweet, eat a dill pickle. Seriously -- try it. (I know, I know -- I'm crazy and it won't work. Try it anyway.)

Sweet and sour cravings are actually deeply linked. In nature, sweet foods (ie: FRUIT) are often high in acid -- particularly Vitamin C. Make sure you're taking a solid C-supplement. (I have witnessed a group of people with limited food-options start craving fruit and -- when they couldn't get it -- switch to craving candy.) This is why the pickle works. It's not actually the pickle -- it's the vinegar.

Back to what you ACTUALLY asked about -- I've heard that mixing sweeteners diminishes the aftertaste. But again, I strongly recommend you avoid them altogether as much as you can.
According to whose book or plan? Dr. A didn't banned sweeteners during induction, in fact he recommended people eat D-zerta, a brand of artificially sweetened gelatin back when he wrote 72. and the modern A FANY promotes Atkins bars. I personally don't think those are good for induction but the point is, AS are not forbidden during induction of Dr. Atkins' plans.

Anyway to answer the OP, a lot depends on what you are sweetening with the sweetener. Something simple like tea will show the difference much more than a something complicated like cheesecake. My BF can taste the splenda aftertaste in simple tea, but has not noticed it in other treats I've made. He also has a mental prejudice about them so if I tell him it's there, he tastes it. and if he assumes it's in there and it isn't, ... he manages to taste an aftertaste that's not there.

Try blending sweeteners and using less. they are synergistic as the mouth recognizes different types of sweetness. there are more than just splenda, stevia, saccharine and aspartame. There is also xylitol, erythritol, Diabetisweet uses an amino acid blended with isomalt to simulate sugar.

Worse comes to worse, use less, or try to find naturally sweet foods to help the craving. things like sweet peppers, you could allot some of that to be eaten as a snack instead of part of dinner. If you are not in induction, and want to eat berries, take some blueberries and freeze them. they make great sweet poppers eaten one at a time. I make cream cheese clouds with 3/4 the amount of sweetener required and that satisfies both a sweet tooth and has a satisfying amount of fat to make me feel less hungry in general. after eating 2 or three 1 oz dollops of that,you won't want to eat anything else.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Incorrect, completely incorrect. Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth, the Atkins website. Scroll down nearly to the end of the page. Not only does it tell you that Splenda is allowed, it also says that diet sodas are allowed, and they contain sweeteners.

Jump Starting Weight Loss ? Weight Loss Program | Atkins Official Site
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
New Atkins for a New You , Page 90, states on induction 3 packets of AS a day are allowed on induction, it doesn't mention liquid forms. HTH

I agree with mixing. I personally prefer Truvia. Even DH who hates AS aftertaste is good with Truvia.

I hope you are able to find one that works for you!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Maybe the confusion is that the OP's stats say Atkins for now, hoping to get back to paleo..IIRC all AS are frowned upon when living/eating paleo, But, as posted above, allowed, limited, on Atkins Induction
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Oh I almost forgot ( with several bottles sitting around needing to be recycled)
Okay, this is NOT sweet, nor sweetened, but it IS a nice treat if you can find it.

I found this bottled water called "hint" , It's "unsweetened essence water, frefreshing, lightly flavored and zero calories. Ingredients: purified water, blacberry and other natural flavors,contains no juice, vegan, gluten free, no msg, no preservatives.

Now, thing is, when you drink it, it tastes just like plain water, but when you stop, or when you breath, you get the flavor of ,... whatever flavor you chose. It's amazing. Clean tasting, nothing clinging to your tongue, the flavor aftertaste is more smell and awareness than base taste on the tongue. You should at least try it once. they have lots of flavors like watermelon, lime, strawberry, and I think I saw some new flavors that are flowers(?)

I find it nice when I want water and when I want flavor but I don't want cloying sweet or bubbles or even aftertaste. this has a natural flavor "aftertaste" because it's so mild. It can almost trick a sweet tooth just because smell is so much a part of taste, and you get good plain water into you as well. and since there is no sweetener,there is no sweetener aftertaste either.

I found them at Fresh Market and Kroger, for about a dollar to a dollar 29 cent. since most people spend a dollar for a bottle of Dasani, I think this is not an unreasonable price for such an unusual treat.

no, it seems they just put the picture of the fruits flower on the label. I can't see it clearlyon line but they seem to have more than the four I saw in the store.

Last edited by metqa; 02-05-2013 at 09:16 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
I just wish that they would not give me such a big headache.. So I cannot use any of them. Can only use good old fashion sugar...
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
I use zsweet, which is stevia and erythritol. It's one of the few I have found I like, can't use Splenda granular or stevia in the raw, my husband reacts to maltodextrin, so it's been fun.

For those using liquid stevia, which brand? I had the vitamin shoppe one, and it was so bitter I had to throw out an entire set of baked goods I had put it in
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote