Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arwen
Stats: 233.4/233.4/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1-17-13
Almost one week in, and so frustrated

Hi all! I am on day 6 of induction and really struggling. I feel so sick every day, headaches, nausea, tired, depressed, etc. I'm hungry constantly despite eating large amounts of approved food including lots of good fats, I keep my carbs between 10-20 each day, take my supplements, get extra sleep, drink broth, and follow the book to a 'T'. I went into ketosis on day 3 and have been testing high on the ketone strips every day since. So what's the problem? I haven't lost any weight at all, not even a tenth of a pound. I'm miserable and making zero progress, which isn't normal for me on a diet- I usually drop five pounds the first week on Weight Watchers or Clean Eating, so not losing anything at all yet is driving me bonkers. I have a lot to lose, am a 38yo female, and am an active mom of four kids. Help! I need encouragement to stick with it, because really, this just sucks. Thanks!

Arwen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
are you drinking enough normal fluids. the testing high on the strips, headaches etc are all possible indicators that you need to consume more fluid. Not everyone finds the adjustment to a ketogenic state easy and your body may be more resistant to it and take longer to make the full adjustment. Please don't give up though.

How about posting a few days worth of menu's on here as it can be easier sometimes to help if able to know what they are eating.
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
what were you eating before you started induction? many people doing low calorie are already low enough with carbs that they don't get that weight loss rush when they start induction.

I think you are eating too much, which is FINE for the first period while your body is getting used to the switch. After a couple weeks, I hope your appetite will drop a lot and you will find yourself eating less and losing easily. give it a try. if it doesn't suit you, then go back to a plan you like better. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I drink 10 cups of water, two cups of green tea, and two cups of broth each day. Before starting Atkins, I was on a carb free-for-all, had gained 10lbs in the past two months, and wasn't counting calories. Here are my past two days of menus-

B- 2 eggs, 6 slices bacon, green tea.
S- broth
L- 4 slices beef bresaola with a drizzle of olive oil, 1oz aged blue cheese
S- broth, green tea
D- 2 beef hamburger patties with 2 slices sharp cheddar, 2c mixed salad greens, 2 tablespoons blue cheese dressing, 1/2 avocado, 2 tablespoons low carb thousand island
S- sugar free jello with 2 tablespoons heavy cream whipped with one drop liquid sucralose

B- cream cheese pancakes, 2 cups tea, 1 slice bacon
S- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, broth
L- 4 salami and provolone rolls drizzled with olive oil
S- broth
D- beef patty with one slice cheese, 2 slices bacon, 2c salad with blue cheese dressing
S- 4 slices salami drizzled with olive oil, 1/4 cup whipped heavy cream.

I cut down on the carbs I was eating for these past two days, keeping my counts closer to 10g. I also upped the fat intake and cut out the lean meats (skinless chicken breast) I was eating the first few days as well, trying to get some results on the scale. Also, I'm not constipated, so I know it's not that either. Ugh.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
one thing that I have noticed immediately is the amount of processed meats that are making their way into your menu. Many processed meats are high in salt and can have hidden carbs.

The other thing was that it does appear a lot of food, although saying that I probably ate about the same when I first started if I look back over my food diaries. I would struggle to eat most of that now, so take heart your appetite may well get smaller.

Which Atkins version are you doing? I know this is a strange question but each of them are slightly different in what you are allowed on induction.

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I'm basing it off the current info on the website, with bits of advice from these boards thrown in. I've been limiting how much I eat compared with how much I *want* to eat since I am so hungry all day long. I'll work on moderating my portions and cutting back on the processed meats. Thanks for the feed back!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Arwen, I strongly suggest you hit a used bookstore and buy an older copy of "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution".

The company that runs the official Atkins site has much more interest in making money than in our health, and much of what they push is a direct contradiction of what Dr. Atkins actually taught.

Dr. Atkins was the one who taught me to avoid processed meats -- not because of the fat or salt, but because of the nitrates/nitrites... and not because they'd make me fat, but because they're poisons.

Whereas the "current" site seems to think they're just fine.

Whole foods -- as close to grass-fed organic as you can afford. Avoid anything processed, including processed meat. Avoid artificial sweeteners and caffeine as much as possible, too. Up your sodium, drink more broth, eat a few dill pickles (after checking the label for sugar).

Don't limit the broth to snack-times. Drink it freely. EAT something for your snack. (May I suggest making some deviled eggs?)

SF jello, btw, is often recommended as an "acceptable sweet" during induction. However, it's relatively high in protein and has NO fat, so I prefer to avoid it. I'd rather add a couple drops of vanilla extract to some cream and whip that up -- at least it has the right nutrient-ratio. It will "satisfy" me a lot sooner than the jello. (I can eat pretty much an infinite amount of jello, and not feel "full".)
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I think your menu is ok, but I would just make sure you're portioning out your cheese and dairy stuff. In DANDR, Dr Atkins recommends keeping it under 4 oz per day, and I can't remember but I think only a couple tablespoons a day of heavy cream, sour cream etc as long as they don't stall you.

I literally have to bust out a scale and weigh out 4oz of cheese and tell myself that is all I can eat for the day. Cream cheese stalls me no matter how much or little I eat but it's hard to limit it since it is delicious. I also have a real issue with underestimating how much sour cream and heavy cream/coffee cream I consume so I am starting to think of nixing it totally.

I do best on this diet when I am eating to satisfy my hunger (DON'T go hungry) with lots of green veg with butter, lots of real meat (less processed, more steak, chicken etc) and lots of eggs. I do get snacky sometimes but have to try and remember to eat devilled eggs instead of salami or cheese or I will NOT lose. Usually after the first week or so, my hunger abates, but for the first week it's a meat festival and I just don't give a ****. Satisfying hunger and getting into ketosis is the most important thing.

Last edited by thealything; 01-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: typos
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Is it possible to be intaking too much sodium which is making your body retain water? I just wonder how much sodium is too much. The processed meats have sodium as well as the broth and premade dressings. And are you allowed pancakes on induction? IF so I need to make some lol
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hluxe
Stats: 165/165/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I find that the first week I actually retain a fair bit of fluid - I just drink dandelion tea to stem fluid retention and make sure I drink a full 2L of water/herbal teas.
hluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I am so glad that this board is here with so many knowledgable and helpful people.

Jennifer- they are cream cheese pancakes, no flour just cream cheese and egg.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I would up my water intake IF I were you. I drink at least 100 ounces per day.I can NOT lose any weight IF I do not drink water.You can still have your green tea and broth. The water is just a plus. Hope it helps. Good Luck !!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
You can get the 1981 Atkins book cheap and easy on Amazon herehere . Going back to the 1972 version is more challenging.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
ok on the pancakes. Sometimes you just don't know. You would be surprised at how many people come on the boards and say induction isn't working for me and then list like an entire days menu FULL of things like fruit and yogurt and other non-induction foods. So just wanted to be sure. I hear those pancakes are fabulous.
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote