Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   HELP!! Gaining Weight Back During Induction! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/795013-help-gaining-weight-back-during-induction.html)

jmb4548 01-21-2013 11:21 AM

HELP!! Gaining Weight Back During Induction!

I started my low-carb diet two months ago. After spending my entire life with a bread/pasta/rice addiction, I decided to give it all up. I didn't have a formal name for what I was doing, neither did I know much about a thing called Induction. For the first month, I ate carbs only four times (one day it was 9 carbs, then 4, then, 1, then 6). I started feeling irritated on the third day, and went to do some research. I learned I was carb crashing and that everything was fine. For the first two weeks, I didn't have scale. When I did get one, I stayed the exact same number for nearly 2 weeks, despite my clothes getting a bit baggier. Researched again and realized I was retaining water, but losing fat (I haven't started to measure inches yet). I upped my water intake and began to lose approximately a pound a day.

In an effort to diet as healthy as possible, I spent hours investigating what name my lifestyle was falling under. I discovered Atkins while being sick with induction flu. Since I've never consumed a double digit numbers of carbs in a day and have never went over 1,500 calories, I thought I was doing superb. My water intake is at least 51 ounces per day, and I was feeling awesome. Until I realized completely omitting carb vegetables from my diet and eating only once or twice a day is a terrible thing to do. After finishing one day with 0 carbs and only 191 calories, I decided to diet healthier.

For the past week, I've been eating at least 1,200 calories per day (but still less than 1,600). I've broken up my meals into at least 3 (one of them being chicken breast and salad) and now include some type of healthy carb for each day. It SEEMED like a great idea on paper. Then...I abruptly stopped losing weight. In fact, I gained six pounds! This time, research has failed me. I can pinpoint why I'm gaining back weight I gave up my beloved bread to shed. I am the exact amount active now as I was before.

A couple of friends of mine theorize that my body became acclimated to running off the meager food and carbs I consume. The extra I've incorporated could be registering as surplus. They suggest that I spend one day carb loading before resuming my diet in order to jump start my metabolism. I've no idea what I should be doing at this point. If you do, please help.

mspartytime 01-21-2013 06:07 PM

As long as you aren't consuming more than the 20 carbs allotted per day and the carbs you are eating are on the induction list, you should be losing not gaining. Are the carbs you are eating induction friendly. It's possible that your body got adjusted to eating such a low amount of calories and slowed your metabolism maybe. Also your water intake is pretty low. I don't know but I would be interested in what other panel members think.

kitnmom 01-21-2013 07:06 PM

can you give us a sample menu? It is possible you aren't eating enough, you may need more fat, more veggies, or less.

princessmommy 01-21-2013 07:20 PM

I would suggest getting Dr Atkins New diet revolution book and reading it. Go by His induction and eat only what is on that list. Yes our weight goes up and down daily for many reasons but 6 lbs is a lot imo

jmb4548 01-21-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspartytime (Post 16211033)
As long as you aren't consuming more than the 20 carbs allotted per day and the carbs you are eating are on the induction list, you should be losing not gaining. Are the carbs you are eating induction friendly. It's possible that your body got adjusted to eating such a low amount of calories and slowed your metabolism maybe. Also your water intake is pretty low. I don't know but I would be interested in what other panel members think.

My carbs come from only a few places: lettuce, cucumbers, and Atkins bars. I've tried upping my water intake, but it always gets immediately expelled from my body. For example, after finishing my 3rd bottled water, I have to run to the bathroom. I've read that the clear-colored urine I'm seeing is excess water...

I think the slowed metabolism is the most probable explanation. So...any hints on how to speed it up quickly?

jmb4548 01-21-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitnmom (Post 16211131)
can you give us a sample menu? It is possible you aren't eating enough, you may need more fat, more veggies, or less.

Okay: for yesterday my calorie count was 1,043. Breakfast has always made me queasy in the mornings, so I often skip it.

Lunch:

-10oz chicken breast tenderloin (275c/0carbs)
-1 tbsp of butter (67c/0carbs)
-4 cups of romain and red cabbage salad (30c/2carbs)
-2tbsp Italian dressing (70c/3carbs)

Dinner:
-1 piece of no carb cheese & jalapeno sausage (400c/0carbs)
-5 cooked mushrooms (20c/3carbs)
-6oz of chicken breast tenderloin (165c/0carbs)

This seems like a Atkins-friendly day. I no longer eat junk food. I shop by nutritional label. Everything I eat is logged . I shouldn't be gaining weight. If I was less careful, less paranoid about stray carbs, I could understand stalling or gaining. The only thing I'm thinking is that what I ate yesterday is more than double the food I used to eat when I first started dieting. I only increased my intake to be healthier, and it seems it's not exactly panning out. Who the heck gains weight on LETTUCE?!

jmb4548 01-21-2013 08:16 PM

My weight was declining steadily until I started adding very healthy carbs to my daily diet. There's not much variation in what I eat, so I can't understand where could 6lbs have come from. It started immediately after I stopped eating only once a day. When I switched to a healthier/less dangerous eating style, I just started packing back the pounds. No cheating, no hidden carbs, no rational explanation for this. I'm wondering if this FatFast thing I've been hearing about might help...

jacquirsw 01-22-2013 01:52 AM

Hi

All bodies have a reaction when we change diets. Personally I would give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Have you got one of the Atkins books to follow as you may find it good to get one if you haven't, I think that the older books that were produced prior to Atkins leaving us the better ones as they are far less commercial. Also you may what to look at general nutrient ratios, as your diet seems quite heavy on protein which a lot of people find can stall or slow weight loss.

I think that if you have just increased carbs without tweaking the other areas this might be a reason for the scales not being as nice.

One other question - on one of your first posts you say that you have had 0 carb days. could you post a menu of what a 0 carb day would look like as I am fascinated by that concept.

Mimosa23 01-22-2013 03:36 AM

Hi,

What is your current weight and how tall are you?

I think that really is very little in calories you are consuming.
Also, I would eat a little more fat and less protein. Reduce the amount of salad you eat as well. 4 cups is a lot in one serving.

I agree with also getting a book and reading the programme. It will help you in telling you what and how much you can eat for each weightloss phase you are in.

Are you taking a multivitamin at least?

You should also drink more.

DairyQueen 01-22-2013 09:11 AM

I try to eat around 1000 calories a day and my weight loss is very slow, now that I'm nearing goal. We do need to know your height and weight and exactly what you are eating, and that means how many cups of lettuce, how many cups of cucumbers, how many ounces of meet, etc.