Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gazanj
Stats: 140/140/112
WOE: Atkins - all the way:0
Start Date: 19 January 2013
Completely new, newbie - where do i start?

I am a completely new newbie never having done Atkins before - today 19Jan2013 is day one of my new eating plan. I have the Atkins - New diet revolution book but I am a little concerned about consuming such large amounts of calories as I have been reading threads that say you have to watch your calories. Is it best to follow the book to the letter or do I need to watch my calorie intake also? I need some help in knowing how to start the Atkins Induction please. I have been advised by my Doctor that I need to cut all carbs out of my diet as I have developed a rather nasty intolerance to sugar and grains. I need the support of a group like this to keep me going now that I have started as well as help to know what works and what doesn't. I have around 30lbs to lose. I am astounded at the knowledge you guys seem to have. I can't do this alone.....HELP
gazanj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
Hi

Yes follow the book to the letter, especially the first 2 weeks where it is true induction. after the first few days once you get past 'induction flu' and into ketosis you will find that your appetite may diminish loads so although the foods you eat may be higher in calories per gram you often find that over the course of the day you will eat less. I would recommend finding a good online food diary, there are lots and some are better than others but we are not allowed to post the names here. Also the cleaner the food you eat (less processed) the better.

Good luck

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinnurse
Stats: 235/.../175
WOE: LC..ACE
Start Date: 01/07/2013
I Agree, follow very closely and you will get the hang of it. Stick around here join some boards and you will figure out what works best for you. Goodluck
Skinnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gazanj
Stats: 140/140/112
WOE: Atkins - all the way:0
Start Date: 19 January 2013
Thanks for your help. It is so confusing & I'm worried I might do it wrong and gain a whole load of weight! Some posts say that you need to have a high fat ratio, some say you need to watch your calories and others say you need to eat more veg. How on earth can you keep your calories down if you have to eat so much fat?
gazanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome!! I think what people are saying about whatching Calories is when you get closer to your goal weight and either stall or have problems losing more weight. I am about 10-13 lbs away from my total goal and i've been about the same weight for about 3 months. That's pretty normal since my body needed to get used to my Losing 51 lbs. Now i've started losing again. Thank God!
I'd follow the book to the letter the first 2 weeks and don't be alarmed if you feel cruddy, it's called the Induction Flu. I kinda think of it as your body readjusting to not having that high Carb cruddage Lol.
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*

Starting Again! Lost 67 lbs then gained a lot back
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ClaudiaMTL
Stats: 199/194/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-started January 3, 2014
Welcome and I too say : follow the book.
ClaudiaMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Hiya I re-started Atkins back in August, am 50 something lbs down, with 17 to go, and I swear I've not counted a single calorie in all that time. It's a huge mental adjustment to make if you're used to low fat/low calorie dieting, but have faith - it works.

Some people find they have to start counting calories if they stall (a stall being 6 or more weeks without a loss), but many of us find that our appetites shrink to the extent that we're naturally eating a calorie deficit, and the weight continues to come off - of course it slows down as you get closer to goal, but this isn't a race, it's a way of eating that should help you get slim, and remain slim, for life.

My advice is to follow what it says in the book, and only look at your calorie intake if it becomes an issue - ie, you've not lost weight for 6 weeks. Best of luck - hope you enjoy this way of eating as much as I do!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Hello and Yes just follow the book and stick around these boards and you will learn a lot! I know I certainly have!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
I think what has been helpful to keep me on plan most of the time is the induction flu. It's happens that first few days when your body goes into ketosis before you get your sudden burst of energy and feel better. If I fall off the wagon and chuck a whole day by loading up on carbs, I get kicked out of ketosis and BAM! It feels like starting all over for me. I go through that whole induction flu thing again feeling like garbage til my body gets back into ketosis. So I always ask myself before I cheat "Is it worth the 3 miserable days getting back into ketosis?" Normally the answer is NO

12/27/2012: 248
1/4/2013: 241
1/11/2013: 240
1/18/2013: 238

Children are a blessing from God.
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote