Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Completely new, newbie - where do i start? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/794836-completely-new-newbie-where-do-i-start.html)

gazanj 01-19-2013 06:43 AM

Completely new, newbie - where do i start?

I am a completely new newbie never having done Atkins before - today 19Jan2013 is day one of my new eating plan. I have the Atkins - New diet revolution book but I am a little concerned about consuming such large amounts of calories as I have been reading threads that say you have to watch your calories. Is it best to follow the book to the letter or do I need to watch my calorie intake also? I need some help in knowing how to start the Atkins Induction please. I have been advised by my Doctor that I need to cut all carbs out of my diet as I have developed a rather nasty intolerance to sugar and grains. I need the support of a group like this to keep me going now that I have started as well as help to know what works and what doesn't. I have around 30lbs to lose. I am astounded at the knowledge you guys seem to have. I can't do this alone.....HELP:):dunno:

jacquirsw 01-19-2013 08:57 AM

Hi

Yes follow the book to the letter, especially the first 2 weeks where it is true induction. after the first few days once you get past 'induction flu' and into ketosis you will find that your appetite may diminish loads so although the foods you eat may be higher in calories per gram you often find that over the course of the day you will eat less. I would recommend finding a good online food diary, there are lots and some are better than others but we are not allowed to post the names here. Also the cleaner the food you eat (less processed) the better.

Good luck

Skinnurse 01-19-2013 09:18 AM

I Agree, follow very closely and you will get the hang of it. Stick around here join some boards and you will figure out what works best for you. Goodluck

gazanj 01-20-2013 04:46 AM

Thanks for your help. It is so confusing & I'm worried I might do it wrong and gain a whole load of weight! Some posts say that you need to have a high fat ratio, some say you need to watch your calories and others say you need to eat more veg. How on earth can you keep your calories down if you have to eat so much fat?

princessmommy 01-20-2013 06:35 AM

Welcome!! I think what people are saying about whatching Calories is when you get closer to your goal weight and either stall or have problems losing more weight. I am about 10-13 lbs away from my total goal and i've been about the same weight for about 3 months. That's pretty normal since my body needed to get used to my Losing 51 lbs. Now i've started losing again. Thank God!
I'd follow the book to the letter the first 2 weeks and don't be alarmed if you feel cruddy, it's called the Induction Flu. I kinda think of it as your body readjusting to not having that high Carb cruddage Lol.

ClaudiaMTL 01-20-2013 07:18 AM

Welcome:) and I too say : follow the book.

Darkginger 01-20-2013 11:12 PM

Hiya :) I re-started Atkins back in August, am 50 something lbs down, with 17 to go, and I swear I've not counted a single calorie in all that time. It's a huge mental adjustment to make if you're used to low fat/low calorie dieting, but have faith - it works.

Some people find they have to start counting calories if they stall (a stall being 6 or more weeks without a loss), but many of us find that our appetites shrink to the extent that we're naturally eating a calorie deficit, and the weight continues to come off - of course it slows down as you get closer to goal, but this isn't a race, it's a way of eating that should help you get slim, and remain slim, for life.

My advice is to follow what it says in the book, and only look at your calorie intake if it becomes an issue - ie, you've not lost weight for 6 weeks. Best of luck - hope you enjoy this way of eating as much as I do!

~PaperMoon~ 01-21-2013 12:20 AM

Hello and :welcome: Yes just follow the book and stick around these boards and you will learn a lot! I know I certainly have!:)

mspartytime 01-21-2013 06:20 PM

I think what has been helpful to keep me on plan most of the time is the induction flu. It's happens that first few days when your body goes into ketosis before you get your sudden burst of energy and feel better. If I fall off the wagon and chuck a whole day by loading up on carbs, I get kicked out of ketosis and BAM! It feels like starting all over for me. I go through that whole induction flu thing again feeling like garbage til my body gets back into ketosis. So I always ask myself before I cheat "Is it worth the 3 miserable days getting back into ketosis?" Normally the answer is NO :)