Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerD
Stats: 186/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/14/2013
What do you do when you are NOT hungry?

So many posts about being hungry. I'm not. Is that bad? I can't force myself to eat when I don't want to. I hope it doesn't kill my progress...
GingerD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
You're probably going to get a wide range of opinions. Mine is - if you aren't hungry, don't eat (unless you are stalled for some reason). Part of the problem is - in our society -- we are often psychologically (and physically) goaded to eat. If you aren't hungry, you DON't HAVE TO EAT. I like being slightly hungry, but not enough for stomach grumblings and hunger pangs. And you know what? IF I eat a small amount of something, like a spoonful of lc peanut butter, or a slice of turkey, or half an egg, I'm not hungry any more! And then, All is Good.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I like that. Thank you. I just didn't want to force myself to eat. Since I've started I don't have cravings like I did before. I don't like sweets but I did crave carbs - it's like gone. like magic!

I have 54 pounds to lose! (People say I look like I weigh 130lbs but I am not even close). I'm so incredibly focused. I really really really pray that Atkins works for me!

Last edited by GingerD; 01-18-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
Personally I have to eat at regular intervals whether hungry or not because I have messed up my metabolism so much over the years I don't seem to have a gradual increase in hunger anymore and can go from being totally fine to starving and woosy in a matter of moments and if that happens I don't make good LC choices so for me it is better to just limit the time between food. I would say though that if I am not hungry although I will eat it will be something small like a couple of slices of meat rather than a big meal.

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquirsw View Post
Personally I have to eat at regular intervals whether hungry or not because I have messed up my metabolism so much over the years I don't seem to have a gradual increase in hunger anymore and can go from being totally fine to starving and woosy in a matter of moments and if that happens I don't make good LC choices so for me it is better to just limit the time between food. I would say though that if I am not hungry although I will eat it will be something small like a couple of slices of meat rather than a big meal.
honestly... I don't feel this way anymore. That was for a few days. I now feel like I'm hungry ALL the time. I have to watch cups and ounces now but I feel like I'm starving. Like I'm not eating nearly enough. idk. I will do as well as I can do...
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
good luck ! Maybe try more fat in your diet ?
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerD View Post
honestly... I don't feel this way anymore. That was for a few days. I now feel like I'm hungry ALL the time. I have to watch cups and ounces now but I feel like I'm starving. Like I'm not eating nearly enough. idk. I will do as well as I can do...
When you are hungry eat. When you are not, don't. If you are hungry a lot, you need to figure out why. I for example, started drinking coffee again. Well coffee causes my blood sugar to drop which makes me hungry. I stopped drinking coffee and now I am not starving all day.

If you get hungry, try to eat fats. The fats keep you going and feeling full longer. Also, you might want to consider using coconut oil. I take some in a spoon every morning, some people put it in their coffee. It helps keep me full all day when I take it in the morning. You can do some research for more info on coconut oil on this site and elsewhere.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
Let me start by saying that I totally agree with DairyQueen`s advice. That being said, I wasn`t hungry when I first started Atkins either, the diet was a great appetite suppressant. Unfortunately that didn`t last, my appetite came back with a vengeance, but thank goodness for all of the fat that is allowed, it kept me full and in control. I now practice IF too along with low carb and that has taught me a thing or two about real hunger.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I honestly have no idea why I'm feeling that "starving to death" feeling. I am waiting instead of eating and slamming down water and that seems to help a bit.

Is there anything (i.e. - pickles or celery) that I can just munch on throughout the day? That won't affect my carb level?

Oh.. and NO weight loss still. boohoo Here is my average daily meals:

B - two scrambled eggs - sometimes with a slice of ham and cheese
L - club sandwich (no bread or spread). It's just ham, cheese, turkey, tomato and bacon slices and a little shredded lettuce. - These are very small portions of meat cheese, lettuce and tomato but it's satisfying.
D - grilled chicken breast on my george forman and for veggie side I will steam broccoli or cauliflower and add butter, salt and pepper - not much of any of that.

I drink only water throughout the day but I will have some Chrystal Lite when I get home - not a lot.

Anybody see anything weird with this?? I would love all advice.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I wanted to add - that was yesterday. Today:

B - 2 scrambled eggs
L - ham salami bacon sandwich - no bread and no spread
D - will be steak and steamed cauliflower

Sometimes when I do grilled chicken breast I will wrap bacon around it.
I keep pork rines around if I get munchy - but that's only at home.

Trying to drink as much water as I can but too much water makes me feel like a whale.

Oh, also, I walk a mile and half every day walking to and from work.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
This seems to be my hunger pattern as well Ginger. I wonder if we are not in ketosis?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I think you need to more fat. Chicken breast are really lean, then you put it on the George Formun grill and take even more fat out of it. Turkey doesn't have much fat either. Go to an online tracker and check your percentage of fat, protein and carbs and report back. I think you will find that you are way low on fats.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Ginger,

You are hungry because there is not NEARLY enough fat in your diet!!

Steamed broccoli... Instead, try roasting it in butter, and pouring melted butter or alfredo sauce over it!

Chicken? Chop it up and make chicken-salad, with lots of mayo!

Put some mayo -- or maybe some full-fat salad dressing -- on that sandwich!!

Put some cheese and olives on those eggs! Better yet, stir in some of the alfredo from last night! (Instructions in this thread: Need help...last resort)

Really -- I'd be STARVING on the menu you describe. Eating every hour.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'd look at that ham lunch.
What's the carb count in the ham/turkey/salami/bacon? sometimes cold cuts are not the way to go.

You need more fat. Add olive oil to veggies. Hunger is a clear sign that your fat intake is too low, imo.

As to what to eat all day without increasing carb count:real meat. like cold chicken, or sliced beef you roasted yourself. Or slices of a big fat ribeye, delicious at room temperature. or a devilled egg. or a wedge of avocado with a little olive oil and lemon juice on it. or chilled shrimp.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 280.8 / CW 274.2 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 11/09/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I think you need to more fat. Chicken breast are really lean, then you put it on the George Formun grill and take even more fat out of it. Turkey doesn't have much fat either. Go to an online tracker and check your percentage of fat, protein and carbs and report back. I think you will find that you are way low on fats.
I was going to say the same thing -- eat more fat.
I put coconut oil in my morning tea or coffee. That helps me alot.
But more butter or olive oil or some kind of fat should keep your appetite suppressed better. Good job though. I hope you started to lose.
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

I FINALLY started losing. Seemed like it took forever to kick in. Okay, started on January 14th and I'm 7 lbs down. Not great but it's better than not losing.