Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
What is atkins induction?

Can someone please explain to me briefly what atkins induction is. Also I am not familiar with the diet, does it it change after a certain period? If so why. I'm trying to explain the diet to someone else that is interested but I keep getting lost in my words because I don't understand the theory behind the diet.

Thanks so much.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
Its the first 2 weeks of the atkins diet, which are typically the most restrictive. 20 grams a day of carbs or less, no sugar, no fruit, mostly meat, certain veggies, limited cheese. Its to get your body into burning fat stores for energy as opposed to using the sugar we eat.

After 2 weeks, or when you are ready, you start adding 5 grams of carbs per day a week. You add back nuts, some berries, etc.
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 50by60
Stats: 263/195/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/4/11
If you buy Dr. Atkins 1992 or 2002 books you will find a lot of information about the low carb way of eating. It has scientific research to explain the elements of the plan. It works so well. I rarely go out of the Induction Phase.
50by60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it is really too complicated to try to explain it if you don't really understand it. can the person just read the Wikipedia article or something?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
I think the science is if your body doesn't take in enough carbs to burn as energy than it starts using your fat stores. The induction process basically restricts carbs so much that your body switches over to a fat burning machine than a carb burning machine good luck
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Induction= The period of time during which you remove dietary carbohydrates as an energy source so that the body will be able to continually burn fat, un-interrupted.

Why- The body will burn carbs when they are there and burn fat when carbs are not available. The body can and does switch back and forth between the two, but the body prioritizes carbs ( this is because blood sugar must be maintained and carbs cannot be allowed to keep blood sugar high, it's harmful) So whenever carbs are eaten, fat burning MUST STOP to take care of the carbs.

It is a myth that the body "prefers" carbs because it burns them first. It's like saying you "prefer" your house burning down because you will take care of that before changing an oil leak in your car.... The body MUST stop processing fats because carbs can do more damage to the body and must be processed first. only when the carbs are no longer an issue can the body sit back, relax and burn fat like it really wants to do. That and repair your body. You can't repair while taking care of sugar/carbs.

Induction creates the situation where carbs are not eaten so that the body can continually burn fat as it's primary fuel. When the body burns fat in such quantity the ketone byproduct is produced also in large enough quantity to be measured. When they can be measured people are considered to be in Ketosis. Induction is only 2 weeks, but it can be extended indefinitely until the person is within 10lb of their desired weight or beyond.

After induction, you only add a few carbs at a time over time so you can have a larger variety of foods while still burning fat. If you eat too many carbs, you will stop burning fat and you will have to remove some carbs to get back to fat burning. The body always has a base level of insulin so a few dietary carbs from low sugar vegetables won't be enough to cause a big release of extra insulin.

Short Form- Induction is the when you don't eat carbohydrates so your body can burn fat instead. If you eat carbs, you stop burning fat. That's why it's at least two weeks to get a jump start on fat loss.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote