Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrh1167
Always Hungry

I've just started the Atkins program on Monday. I will admit that I was a carboholic, and maybe that is my issue, but it seems that I'm almost always hungry within an hour of my meals. For example, this morning I had a 2 egg omelet with some ham, cheddar cheese, and a few spinach leaves. That was at 6:45 and my stomach was growling by 8. Will this pass soon? Seeing commercials for bread is starting to make me sweat.
Thanks for any feedback.
mrh1167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
I found that foods with more fat or protein in them helped me feel fuller longer. Maybe have a 3 egg omelet with more ham and cheese in it? The extra protein may help
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BobApjok
Stats: 400+/288/200
It sound counterintuitive, but the solution is simple. Eat. If you are hungry, just eat. As long as it is an "acceptable" food, just eat. As time goes on, you will be less hungry. The above post is also correct, more fat/protein helps too. If you are just starting for the first time, it's hard to fight the "old" way of losing weight. Eat more. Dont deprive yourself (as long as it's acceptable foods)
BobApjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK... I'm going to start this backwards:

Alfredo sauce.

Alfredo sauce can turn salmon and broccoli from an "OK" meal to an extremely SATISFTYING meal. SO, how do you make the alfredo?

In a pot, melt together the following:
1 stick butter
1 cup (roughly) of Heavy Whipping Cream (commonly called HWC -- I just call it cream)
maybe 1 cup shredded mozerella and freshly grated parmasean. (Or use the kind that comes shredded at the grocery store.)

The proportions aren't all that crucial -- there's a LOT of room to play around, and you can't screw it up.

Stir all these together on medium heat, until well-melted. It'll thicken as it cools. Pour over your meat and veggies for dinner, and PUT THE REST IN THE FRIDGE.

Now, comes the biggie: In the morning, take out that big, now-solid chunk of Alfredo sauce, and dump it in your scrambled eggs!

Make sure you are EATING every time you are hungry -- and that means eating something FATTY. If you are hungry, it means you haven't eaten enough FAT. Period.

"Eat fat when you're hungry" is the fundamental rule for Atkins induction, and one of the hardest things to wrap your head around, in the beginning. It's very likely that for the first few days you'll feel like you're eating constantly. Don't worry -- this is your body adjusting. It'll pass. Before long, you'll start into ketosis, and your appetite will start shrinking... ASSUMING you're getting enough FAT, that is.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

And for the record? I'd be hungry an hour after that omelet, too. I'd need to toss in some ground pork, some heavy cream, and maybe a bit of cream-cheese in there, to feel "satisfied" and have it stick with me. (Bonus points if there are any cream cheese-stuffed olives in the house to toss in!)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrh1167
Thanks for the feedback. It does seem counter-intuitive to eat more when I've been so used to counting calories on other diets. So thanks for easing my mind.

Not to change gears too drastically, but how how did you folks get enough fiber? That's the one other issue I'm having with this plan.
mrh1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
Start Date: 1/7/13
I eat high fiber veggies, or when I make 1 minute muffins I include some ground flax seed in it. Some add Psyllum husk to their diet, or take supplements that have a lot of fiber.
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

First off, let's look at what some of my "carb-replacements" looked like:

Instead of fries, I'd make cole slaw. From cabbage.
Instead of baked potato, I'd have broccoli.
Instead of bread, post-induction I'd make crackers from ground nuts and seeds.

Know what all these foods are high in? FIBER!

Flax-seed meal is a staple in my house... and it's FULL of fiber -- so much so that it's used as a fiber-supplement.

My diet is insanely huge in fiber. Nuts and seeds (which are available post-induction) have HUGE amounts... so do those green vegetables you're eating.

In terms of regularity, though, I find I actually get more help from Coconut Oil. My husband is actually prone to getting impacted bowels when he starts increasing his fiber-intake. It sounds totally backwards, but I've seen it happen to him more than once.

A couple spoons of Coconut Oil per day, on the other hand, keeps things flowing nicely, and aids with any blockages. So we get to eat our insanely-fiber-rich "pancakes" (made of flax and almond meals), without him requiring medical intervention.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
I tend to have a constipation issue every few days so I am always looking for ideas to get more fiber and keep things moving. The green veggies are a great idea. Spinach is literally all carbs and can be mixed in alfredo or put in an lc italian style casserole as it really takes on the flavor of the food it is in. The bullet-proof coffee people talk about actually works for me quickly so be careful with it. ANd to agree with the previous posts, Eat Eat eat! Within the first week you will most likely find that you have to make sure you eat as once your body adjusts you will not feel hungry.

Happy INduction!

12/27/2012: 248
1/4/2013: 241
1/11/2013: 240
1/18/2013: 238

Children are a blessing from God.
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSunNoFun
Stats: 157.5/142.2/135.0 (5'3)
Start Date: 8-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
OK... I'm going to start this backwards:

Alfredo sauce.

Alfredo sauce can turn salmon and broccoli from an "OK" meal to an extremely SATISFTYING meal. SO, how do you make the alfredo?

In a pot, melt together the following:
1 stick butter
1 cup (roughly) of Heavy Whipping Cream (commonly called HWC -- I just call it cream)
maybe 1 cup shredded mozerella and freshly grated parmasean. (Or use the kind that comes shredded at the grocery store.)

The proportions aren't all that crucial -- there's a LOT of room to play around, and you can't screw it up.

Stir all these together on medium heat, until well-melted. It'll thicken as it cools. Pour over your meat and veggies for dinner, and PUT THE REST IN THE FRIDGE.

Now, comes the biggie: In the morning, take out that big, now-solid chunk of Alfredo sauce, and dump it in your scrambled eggs!

Make sure you are EATING every time you are hungry -- and that means eating something FATTY. If you are hungry, it means you haven't eaten enough FAT. Period.

"Eat fat when you're hungry" is the fundamental rule for Atkins induction, and one of the hardest things to wrap your head around, in the beginning. It's very likely that for the first few days you'll feel like you're eating constantly. Don't worry -- this is your body adjusting. It'll pass. Before long, you'll start into ketosis, and your appetite will start shrinking... ASSUMING you're getting enough FAT, that is.
Yummo! I make this also with a splash of white wine and garlic I also have a big ole swig of the vino for good measure
NoSunNoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I find too much protein and not enough fat in a meal to cause me problems. I think my body is extremely efficient at converting protein to glucose, if that is possible. I think I'm doing good because my meal is low carb. Truth is that it is, but I forget the other component, it needs to be high in fat. This is a big switch in thinking for me. Like last night, my husband watched me take several spoonfuls of mayo out of the jar to put on my plate to dip my veggies in because the meal didn't have enough fat in it. (I know, I haven't gotten too creative yet, I don't even like mayonnaise..LOL). But if I don't bump up the fat, I know I'm going to regret it an hour later. It worked.

Last edited by Punkin; 01-14-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 50by60
Stats: 263/195/150
Start Date: 6/4/11
I mix mayo straight out of the jar with CURRY POWDER and a little liquid sweetner for a delicious dip for vegies, could be a salad dressing if you thin it with water. Keeps all week in the refrigerator. Also, I have fallen in love with DIJONNAISE by Hellmans, on beef or pork and on HB eggs, it has less than 1 carb per teaspoon, and that amount goes a long way.
50by60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Great suggestions here!

Regarding fiber: you do not need it. Your body will work just fine without additional fiber. Eating enough fat and drinking your fluids will keep things moving. Also, eating your allowed amount of green leafy vegetables will add enough of that fiber should you be worried. (adding some nice butter to freshly cooked veggies is also delicious!)

I recently discovered the divine combination of cooked broccoli with browned butter poured over... OMG, it is the most delicious thing! Can you imagine that with a nice rib eye steak and herb butter????? Out of this world!!!!!!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I find too much protein and not enough fat in a meal to cause me problems. I think my body is extremely efficient at converting protein to glucose, if that is possible. I think I'm doing good because my meal is low carb. Truth is that it is, but I forget the other component, it needs to be high in fat. This is a big switch in thinking for me. Like last night, my husband watched me take several spoonfuls of mayo out of the jar to put on my plate to dip my veggies in because the meal didn't have enough fat in it. (I know, I haven't gotten too creative yet, I don't even like mayonnaise..LOL). But if I don't bump up the fat, I know I'm going to regret it an hour later. It worked.
Yes, protein is broken down into glucose as part of the process of metabolizing it. This is one reason that -- as low-carbers -- we never worry about getting enough glucose for our body to function. (After all, it IS vital to life!) As long as we're consuming protein -- complete or not -- we can MAKE the glucose that's needed. This is also why some people find they need to start limiting their protein. Going over-board with it can cause some folks to stall.

I've resorted to mayo before, when a meal was too low-fat. Really, though, we've got to teach you to make some http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-dressing.html (Yes, that's a thread of recipes, and they take around 30 seconds to make!)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I recently discovered the divine combination of cooked broccoli with browned butter poured over... OMG, it is the most delicious thing! Can you imagine that with a nice rib eye steak and herb butter????? Out of this world!!!!!!
I have to agree! And as someone who's ALWAYS thought beef should be served with broccoli, and who has a freezer full of rib-eye... Yes, I've had that. Recently! Yummy goodness!