Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 00cookie00
Stats: 157/153/124
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
New to Atkins

I am on day 2 of Atkins inductions having decided to try low carb for the first time. I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and have had an underactive thyroid for years so I'm hoping for amazing things lol

So far, although its early days, I haven't been overly hungry and haven't craved carbs at all. Yesterday I had 12g carbs. Is this too low?

The one area I know I'm going to struggle with is not having my morning cup of tea with a dash of milk. Would one dash really be a problem for me?
00cookie00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
Start Date: 1/7/13
I think heavy cream is allowed, have you tried that in your tea?

Welcome!
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eterprincess View Post
I think heavy cream is allowed, have you tried that in your tea?

Welcome!
I did try and it was horrid! I've cut out all my other cups,normally about 5 a day! But its just that first one of the day I really don't want to lose lol it wakes me up
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: biggestloser
Stats: High Weight 244 in Feb 06, Current:212/205/190
Start Date: December 18th, 2012
It's up to you, cookie. I just looked it up and 1 fluid ounce of whole milk has 1.4 grams of carbs.

I think the argument for being strict during induction is that we need to be giving up ALL sugar in our diet. That is the only way we can battle our metabolic insulin issues that are causing weight problems. But really, it's your choice!
biggestloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK, heavy-cream was a no-go. How about half-n-half? It's less-bad than milk... Give it a taste, at least, before you rule it out.

It will be BETTER for you if you can skip the milk -- thus we're offering alternatives.

One of the issues is "carb-creep". It looks like this:
"Oh, I'm just having a dash of milk in that. It's OK."
Except that dash of milk (which is a high-carb food) isn't measured. It can end up varying quite a bit.
And then, one day, you sleep badly, and have a meeting in the morning, and you just need a second cup... And I can't drink it without my dash of milk.

Before you know it, you're stalling in your weight-loss, "and I'm not doing anything differently! I'm living on a diet of pure walrus blubber & spinich, and I carefully limit my spinach to one leaf per day!" And all the while, that one little dash of milk has grown to supply enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis. (And yes, that example was ridiculous. ~grins~ Was going to extreme cases, there. ~chuckles~)

SO... my recommendations would be, in order:
  1. Try Heavy Cream/Double Cream whatever
  2. Try "light" cream -- the kind without enough fat to make whipped cream with. (Not 100% on my UK dairy classifications)
  3. Try half-and-half (half cream, half milk.)
  4. Try almond milk
  5. Try whole milk, AND MEASURE IT EVERY TIME.

It may be that the last option is the one you need to go with... but you won't know for sure until you try the other options.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
I know we are meant to not have milk, but like you I have a cup of tea every morning, I don't like coffee at all and the rest of the day I drink water. I do put a splash of milk in (I like mine strong anyway so is a small splash at that. As much as I agree with all the above, I also think that if you can manage a small splash and stay within your carb levels for something that you really enjoy then you are going to be happier with this as a woe and not feel as deprived and want to cheat even more. For me this is a long term commitment so I need to make sure it is something that I can do for the rest of time as such.

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sassycat
this is day 4 for me doing good.. just got work on exerise
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone

I am now on day 6 and have lost a total of 4lbs - not sure if thats good or not really! But at least I've lost something of the 26lbs I want to lose I am still having my tea with a dash of milk, maybe 3 cups a day and so far it seems ok.

Am staying well under my 20g of carbs a day and an average of 1500 cals. Not particularly hungry and not craving carbs or sweet things either so fingers crossed its all working!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
That's great!

Try to STAY AWARE of your dash of milk, but aside from that, it keep doing what's working!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote