Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Ketosis really fast? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/794034-ketosis-really-fast.html)

eterprincess 01-09-2013 06:12 AM

Ketosis really fast?

So, starting day 3 of atkins induction, been About 12 grams of carbs the past two days per the atkins tracker, and today my keto sticks are showing "moderate ketones."

Isn't that a little quick to be in ketosis, or does it happen at different times for different people?

mrwizard65 01-09-2013 11:17 AM

It usually takes about 3 days for myself when I start induction. I'm on day 3 now so I'm hoping that I'll be in ketosis by tomorrow.

biggestloser 01-09-2013 11:27 AM

I think 2 days is how long it takes me, although for me those sticks seem to be pretty sensitive to my hydration level. The only time I've had them say moderate, I was very dehydrated. Usually it's just low or a trace or sometimes they're negative especially in the morning. They really motivate me though so I keep using them.

mrwizard65 01-09-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestloser (Post 16183655)
I think 2 days is how long it takes me, although for me those sticks seem to be pretty sensitive to my hydration level. The only time I've had them say moderate, I was very dehydrated. Usually it's just low or a trace or sometimes they're negative especially in the morning. They really motivate me though so I keep using them.

You're right, they do depend on hydration or rather how much water is in your bladder and the resulting dilution (or lack thereof) of the ketones in your urine.

mountaingirl30 01-11-2013 08:58 AM

Not really. I've done induction 4 times and every time I'm in ketosis on day 3. I don't use sticks, but my urine smells like acetone and I get a weird taste in my mouth. Drinking more helps that be alot less noticeable.

Skinnurse 01-11-2013 01:41 PM

Im a 2 day girl if I stick really close and under 20g of carbs. Just reminder the color on the ketostick really just has to do with the dilution of your urine. As long as it turns colors towards ketosis instead of negative that is all you need to know. the darkness has really no value since you could have not had a lot to drink or drank a ton of water that day so it would be light

erinisme 01-19-2013 07:49 AM

I start ketosis in about 36 hours. Worried me at first. Now just consider myself lucky

Avy 01-20-2013 02:12 PM

I have never used the sticks ever. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months, and have maintained for 3 months after, and now I'm back to tracking again. I bought sticks last night, and also ate about 100 carbs during the day (sushi with the bf). This morning I tested, and I had 'moderate ketones". I assume by the way I've eaten since June 1st I have been in ketosis alot, but I'm surprised I was in this morning, after last night's supper. I really think it's very different for everyone. I've seen people post they're never had readings and have lost weight just fine.