Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaW
Stats: 230/205/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Dec. 2012
What happens if I skip veggies?

I was wondering how important the vegetables part of induction/low carb is? I have been eating bacon and eggs for breakfast and things like a burger or a chicken breast for lunch and sometimes I'll have veggies and sometimes not.

Any Atkins or low carb pros have advice? should I make sure I have veggies with every meal or is meat and fat alone okay?

Thanks!
EricaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think the reason the new versions of Atkins are so big on vegetables is to shut up the critics. You can do pretty well without them for awhile. You probably need supplements though.

Personally, when I low carb I find myself just LOVING vegetables.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
well, if you don't eat vegetables, you're pretty much doing stillman's.
Atkins has always emphasized vegetables as being most of your carbs during induction. Two cups of salad greens and a cup of other LC vegetables, like mushrooms or broccoli is what you should be eating during induction. And it doesn't matter when you eat them.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
you can do without veg however I would say that as you would be missing out on lots of nutrients that you should be taking a very good vitamin supplement daily. Also you will probably find that after a while of not having the veggies that your body will want to re add them anyway. Our bodies are good at knowing what they need so take notice and if you want veg have them but don't stress over anything too much as long as you are staying within your carb allowance it is better to eat what you are enjoying so you stay on track that force yourself to eat things that put you off.

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Agreed! The veggies at first for me are not what I want to eat but quickly my body starts to crave certain textures like crunchy which is hard to get from just meat and cheese. I find celery is my go to veggie with a nice cream cheese dip. Helps with the munchies. Good luck on plan
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I could not do without the veggies myself, but I have..mmmm..... stomach issues (constipation ) and if I don't eat veggies, I will be miserable.

I bet you will start craving them soon.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
There are tons of different vegetables which can be prepared tons of different ways, find ones that work for you. You will need them in order to stay satisfied on this diet plan over the long term. Also, since you will not be eating sugar, vegetables will taste a lot different. I never knew how sweet onions were until this plan.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Spinach and broccoli are supervegetables
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Gary Taubes's books point out that you can get almost all your required nutrients from meat. (That's why native Alaskans could live off of meat most of the year - there've also been studies of modern people who choose to eat nothing else for years on end.) The one thing that's potentially in short supply is vitamin C ... BUT when your carbs are low, you don't need as much vitamin C. People on all-meat diets don't end up with vitamin deficiencies.

I am not anti-vegetables, but their nutritional necessity has been oversold. They do provide fiber, which can help with constipation - if this is a problem for you, you might do what others have recommended and look for a vegetable you like.

The New Atkins recommends a daily 12 to 15 grams of carbs from the foundation vegetables - but there's no requirement to have them at every meal.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I'm skeptical about that statement, but I'm willing to do some research on it, and
there is no guidance saying that one has to have vegetables at every meal.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
I will sometimes go quite a few days with out veggies - I have eggs and turkey bacon every morning with black coffee, and then for late lunch/early dinner I might have a bunless burger, fish, or pork chops.

I find that making skillets helps me get in veggies...like, some fire roasted tomatoes and spinach thrown into a skillet after I brown pork chops. Add a bit of low sodium broth, put a lid on the skillet to steam, and in about 15 minutes you have a very flavorful "veggie reduction" to go over you chops.
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: The Brew Crew 6
Stats: 220/188/120
WOE: HCG
Start Date: off and on for as long as I can remember!
I was just going to post about this. I had the same question. After years of yo-yoing, my body does not respond to the tradtional 12-15 nc like it should. I really have to cut back on the carbs to lose any weight at all. I gradually add them back in, like OWL, but I really think its because my metabolism is so damaged.

Is it bad to just stick to salads and wait to add in the higher carb green veggies til a little later?
The Brew Crew 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaW
Stats: 230/205/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Dec. 2012
I don't hate vegetables and I know how to prepare them. I was a vegetarian for ten years -- I'm veggie savvy, but I find that I'm not craving or wanting them very much as I'm eating all this meat and fat. I've been perfectly happy eating meat and eggs and nuts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but it seems weird not to want veggies, so I'm making sure I include some with most of my meals. Just curious about how important it is to include veggies -- the guidance of having it a couple times a day is good. Thanks!
EricaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I cooked a purple cauliflower tonight. I'm not sure what happened. It's very mushy and a very very dark purple. And sweet. I'm NOT sure that i like it.....
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hluxe
Stats: 165/165/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Personally, I find the hardest part of induction is how low my veggie intake is. I adore veggies even when i am eating 'badly' so I can't imagine voluntarily excluding them. Long term, you will need to eat them so why not phase them in slowly now?

Edit: Just read your response, I suppose you can let your appetite guide you?
hluxe is offline   Reply With Quote