Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   What happens if I skip veggies? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/792748-what-happens-if-i-skip-veggies.html)

EricaW 01-03-2013 04:09 PM

What happens if I skip veggies?

I was wondering how important the vegetables part of induction/low carb is? I have been eating bacon and eggs for breakfast and things like a burger or a chicken breast for lunch and sometimes I'll have veggies and sometimes not.

Any Atkins or low carb pros have advice? should I make sure I have veggies with every meal or is meat and fat alone okay?

Thanks!

ravenrose 01-03-2013 06:02 PM

I think the reason the new versions of Atkins are so big on vegetables is to shut up the critics. You can do pretty well without them for awhile. You probably need supplements though.

Personally, when I low carb I find myself just LOVING vegetables.

DairyQueen 01-03-2013 09:49 PM

well, if you don't eat vegetables, you're pretty much doing stillman's.
Atkins has always emphasized vegetables as being most of your carbs during induction. Two cups of salad greens and a cup of other LC vegetables, like mushrooms or broccoli is what you should be eating during induction. And it doesn't matter when you eat them.

jacquirsw 01-04-2013 12:19 AM

you can do without veg however I would say that as you would be missing out on lots of nutrients that you should be taking a very good vitamin supplement daily. Also you will probably find that after a while of not having the veggies that your body will want to re add them anyway. Our bodies are good at knowing what they need so take notice and if you want veg have them but don't stress over anything too much as long as you are staying within your carb allowance it is better to eat what you are enjoying so you stay on track that force yourself to eat things that put you off.

mspartytime 01-04-2013 11:21 AM

Agreed! The veggies at first for me are not what I want to eat but quickly my body starts to crave certain textures like crunchy which is hard to get from just meat and cheese. I find celery is my go to veggie with a nice cream cheese dip. Helps with the munchies. :) Good luck on plan

shelby'snana 01-04-2013 12:03 PM

I could not do without the veggies myself, but I have..mmmm..... stomach issues (constipation ) and if I don't eat veggies, I will be miserable.

I bet you will start craving them soon. :)

Big Stevie 01-04-2013 12:10 PM

There are tons of different vegetables which can be prepared tons of different ways, find ones that work for you. You will need them in order to stay satisfied on this diet plan over the long term. Also, since you will not be eating sugar, vegetables will taste a lot different. I never knew how sweet onions were until this plan.

DairyQueen 01-05-2013 07:36 AM

Spinach and broccoli are supervegetables

biancasteeplechase 01-05-2013 06:36 PM

Gary Taubes's books point out that you can get almost all your required nutrients from meat. (That's why native Alaskans could live off of meat most of the year - there've also been studies of modern people who choose to eat nothing else for years on end.) The one thing that's potentially in short supply is vitamin C ... BUT when your carbs are low, you don't need as much vitamin C. People on all-meat diets don't end up with vitamin deficiencies.

I am not anti-vegetables, but their nutritional necessity has been oversold. They do provide fiber, which can help with constipation - if this is a problem for you, you might do what others have recommended and look for a vegetable you like.

The New Atkins recommends a daily 12 to 15 grams of carbs from the foundation vegetables - but there's no requirement to have them at every meal.

DairyQueen 01-05-2013 08:57 PM

I'm skeptical about that statement, but I'm willing to do some research on it, and
there is no guidance saying that one has to have vegetables at every meal.

junebug 01-06-2013 08:58 AM

I will sometimes go quite a few days with out veggies - I have eggs and turkey bacon every morning with black coffee, and then for late lunch/early dinner I might have a bunless burger, fish, or pork chops.

I find that making skillets helps me get in veggies...like, some fire roasted tomatoes and spinach thrown into a skillet after I brown pork chops. Add a bit of low sodium broth, put a lid on the skillet to steam, and in about 15 minutes you have a very flavorful "veggie reduction" to go over you chops.

The Brew Crew 6 01-06-2013 09:29 AM

I was just going to post about this. I had the same question. After years of yo-yoing, my body does not respond to the tradtional 12-15 nc like it should. I really have to cut back on the carbs to lose any weight at all. I gradually add them back in, like OWL, but I really think its because my metabolism is so damaged.

Is it bad to just stick to salads and wait to add in the higher carb green veggies til a little later?

EricaW 01-07-2013 04:18 PM

I don't hate vegetables and I know how to prepare them. I was a vegetarian for ten years -- I'm veggie savvy, but I find that I'm not craving or wanting them very much as I'm eating all this meat and fat. I've been perfectly happy eating meat and eggs and nuts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but it seems weird not to want veggies, so I'm making sure I include some with most of my meals. Just curious about how important it is to include veggies -- the guidance of having it a couple times a day is good. Thanks!

DairyQueen 01-08-2013 09:31 PM

I cooked a purple cauliflower tonight. I'm not sure what happened. It's very mushy and a very very dark purple. And sweet. I'm NOT sure that i like it.....

hluxe 01-16-2013 12:21 PM

Personally, I find the hardest part of induction is how low my veggie intake is. I adore veggies even when i am eating 'badly' so I can't imagine voluntarily excluding them. Long term, you will need to eat them so why not phase them in slowly now?

Edit: Just read your response, I suppose you can let your appetite guide you?