Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JackieDell
Stats: 155/152/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2013
Day One!

Hello everyone!

This is my first day on Atkins and I am really excited! I have done Atkins before and it worked, but perhaps not as well as I would like (husband lost over 20 pounds, me only 6...grr! lol). I am trying again (with my husband!) and this time we are ready to do it right! I have a couple questions for this time around about things that may have stalled our weight loss last time....

1. Can we use Half and Half for our coffee, or just the heavy whipping cream?

2. How important are supplements like multi-vitamins and fish oil? I am taking Biotin, do I have to stop?

I know there are so many knowledgeable people on these boards so these answers, and any other advice for a second-time newbie would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jackie
JackieDell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome. You need to learn to read labels. Look for heavy whipping cream. Most of them have zero carbs but different brands vary. Half and half should be avoided.

Yes take the vitamins you need them, especially in the beginning. Drink lots of water. You should drink 1 ounce for every two pounds of body weight up to a maximum of a gallon (128 oz) a day.

Re-read the book. Only eat items on the induction list for the first two weeks or forever how long you want to stay on induction. When you start adding stuff, do it slowly to see what make you slow down or stall. It is a biter trial and error since everyone reacts differently to different foods.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 01-02-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your input. I have read a couple of different Atkins books and they say different things as far as half and half...which is why I figured I would ask on here.

As far as the labels...I can read how many carbs are in things. What I was wondering is what others have chosen to use since it is hard to find anything without at least one or "less than one" carb in it.

As I said, I am new and was just trying to get some feedback from those that have had success on this diet.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patsxm
Stats: 238/215/150
Start Date: August 2012
Hi there, I am new as well and i am using sunny mornings heavy whipping cream - it is a black carton with red and white writing on it. It also states >1g/serving. I count each serving as 1g just to be safe. I have yet to find one that states zero carbs on it. If you find one please let me know!
Patsxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
Start Date: 9/17/12
How did day two go? Hope you are encouraged and do well!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
This is what the atkins site says about induction on its jumpstart page:

"Milk is too high in carbs to include in Induction. Instead, dilute cream or half-and-half with water or use soymilk or other low-carb dairy alternatives. Check the nutrition facts panel and ingredients list on the package to ensure they have no added sugar and that an 8-ounce serving contains no more than 3 grams of net carbs."

From the FDA and USDA:
Heavy cream contains 36% or more milkfat: 52 calories and 0.42 carbs per tablespoon.
Light whipping cream has 30%-35% milkfat: 44 calories and 0.44 carbs/TB
Light cream has 18%-29% milkfat: 29 calories and 0.55 carbs/TB
Half-and-half, which is a mixture of cream and milk, contains 10.5 to 18% milkfat: 20 calories and 0.64 carbs/TB

This is what the SAME atkins site says in its list of what you can and can't eat:
You can have cream, heavy or light (doesn't mention half and half specifically)
You can have unflavored soy/almond milk.

The books vary, and the website varies, so it's a little fuzzy.
I'd recommend heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of induction, then add half and half if you like. How much cream do you need in your coffee?

As for supplements, there's nothing wrong with taking them.
The atkins webpage "How to do Induction Right" says: "Take a daily iron-free multivitamin/multimineral combo and an omega-3 fatty-acid supplement." I'm not that hot on fish oil - you really need to take a LOT of it for it to be useful so i think it's a waste of money.

As for liquids, the atkins webpage on how to do induction right says, "Each day, drink at least eight 8-ounce portions of approved beverages: water, club soda, herb teas, or moderation—caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee and tea. This will prevent dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. In this count, you may include two cups of broth (not low sodium), one in the morning and one in the afternoon." So your 8 cups of liquid don't have to be water. The Mayo Clinic agrees. As for me, I drink a lot of liquids during the day but i don't drink water.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm feelin the loooove!!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I am tremendously encouraged...I didn't expect all this support!! Perhaps that is what I was missing last time??!?

Day 2 is going well except my husband fell off the band wagon already!! (Couldn't resist the left over christmas reese's trees he found in the freezer..lol) He is going to start back on Monday and I ALMOST joined him...but decided to stick it out instead!! I have buffalo chicken dip in the oven and salsa chicken in the crockpot instead!

I am going to do as suggested by staying with the heavy whipping cream for at least the first 2 weeks. I don't use a whole lot (I never measure anything..I know, I know...that's a bad idea! )

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

OH PLEASE measure everything. I don't know - after doing Atkins for so many years, but you really have to at the start in order to see just how small 3 oz of chicken really is, or 2T of cream. Measuring and weighing is critical to knowing what exactly you're eating!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I was looking something else up on atkins site and found another references to liquids -- this one saying to drink 8 glasses of water during induction. So the site is NOT consistent. Nevertheless, I still stand by the latest science that your 8 glasses of intake can be other liquids besides water.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pakbabydoll
Hello everyone. I started induction yesterday as well and well I hope it works out!
pakbabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

let us know how you are doing!