Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Year-end Stats

Hello, fellow Atkins people! I've just posted my monthly progress -- which is actually year-end progress, at this point -- for my posse over in the "Induction Babies" thread. I've never started a new thread but I thought I would take this opportunity to start a new one, in case others might want to take a moment to join me and list your Atkins progress through the year 2012. I thought that, maybe, this could be a thread where we could all take a moment to quantify -- and celebrate -- how far we've come during this calendar year.

I'm finishing this year much stronger and healthier than I finished last year! And I've been faithful to the diet since the day I started -- to be honest, I can't take much credit for that because I genuinely enjoy the food and that's 99% of the reason I've been able to stay on track. And it's been easy to stick to my workouts because I have a trainer who is a dear friend that has been amazingly good to me even while *cruelly* pushing me past my self-imposed physical limits. My trainer -- who has been a teacher as well as a physical taskmaster -- made me read a dozen different books about nutrition and physiology, and I'm grateful for that because I think my mind is in a better place now with regard to taking responsibility for my health. I am also grateful to him for teaching me to think of this program as a quantitative, calculated project to build a stronger body, rather than as simply a way to lose weight. I think that guidance has made me more patient and careful in my approach than I would otherwise have been.

Here are my numbers:

Monthly Weight History
11 May: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December (today): 181.5 pounds

Total Lost In 2012
53.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May To Today
Ankles: Left -0.50", Right -0.50"
Calves: Left -1.50", Right -1.50"
Thighs: Left -3.50", Right -3.25"
Hips: -4.00"
Waist: -4.00"
Upper Arms: Left 0.00", Right 0.00"
Wrists: Left -0.50", Right -0.50"

I have also taken some photos of myself wearing the exact same clothes that I was photographed in at my starting weight.

This photo was taken during my first month
(235 pounds, May 2012, FRONT VIEW)

This photo was taken during my seventh month
(186.5 pounds, December 2012, FRONT VIEW)

This photo was taken during my first month
(235 pounds, May 2012, SIDE VIEW)

This photo was taken during my seventh month
(186.5 pounds, December 2012, SIDE VIEW)

Here is a photo of me with some of my wonderful, amazing students on the last day of classes in April. I started the program the next day, however, I spent the first month eating "normally" in order to do some pre-planning work that included checking my fasting and post-meal blood glucose levels (although I am not diabetic), and logging my daily calorie intake so that I would have a baseline to which I could compare my diet progress.

Here is a photo of me, wearing the same outfit, taken after seven months

I have also kept a list of some significant improvements that I have noticed. I noticed most of these improvements by my third or fourth month on the program.
  • I no longer get tired and out of breath when I walk short distances
  • I no longer feel pain in my lower back when I walk
  • I can comfortably stand for long periods of time
  • I can walk long distances without tiring, including, walking 1.5 miles to the grocery store and then 1.5 miles back while carrying groceries
  • I no longer feel like I'm going to faint when I drag my heavy groceries into the house
  • My arms and legs don't lose circulation when I sleep
  • I can fasten my ankle-strap shoes without getting dizzy and lightheaded when I bend over
  • I can now run across the street when the light turns yellow, I don't have to wait for the light to change again before I cross
  • I can detangle my hair in the shower without my arms getting exhausted
  • I can cross my legs
  • I can zip boots over my calves
I'm not going to lie, these past seven months have felt like seven YEARS of dieting! I've had to make choices that were not always easy or expedient -- I've spent nights out with friends and not had a single cocktail; I've been to all-day meetings and events where I didn't eat anything at all because I refused to eat any food whose contents I couldn't verify; I've been weighing and measuring and logging every single thing that has gone into my mouth, which was hugely annoying for the first few months (although it has become a comfortable habit, now).

It's tempting to say: This diet is great! You get to eat rich food! It really isn't that *easy*, though, in my opinion. If it were an *easy* thing to do, then every obese person would do it, lose to goal, and stay there. Even though I genuinely enjoy the food -- and my family has spent lots of time and money making sure my fridge and pantries are stocked with the food my program requires -- I'm still on a calculated plan of dietary restriction, which requires constant vigilance and hard work.

But whenever I've felt annoyed at the choices I've had to make -- like watching everybody around me drink hard cider and share cheese fries on a Friday night -- I've thought back to last winter, when I was heading for the bus stop as the bus pulled up but I was too out-of-shape to run for it so I was left standing in 20-degree weather waiting for the next bus. I remember thinking to myself, "I would give ANYTHING to be able to run for the stupid bus!" I remember exactly how I felt at that moment -- I would honestly have given all of my savings just to be a normal, healthy person who could run half a block to catch a bus. Unfortunately, money couldn't buy it. I've had to pay for the privilege of walking and running by giving up the cheese fries and cider on Friday nights. Some days, that trade feels like a bargain. Other days, I wish I could just throw money at the problem! Today, I feel like every choice I've made has been totally worth it because I am physically quite strong and I have enough stamina to walk 3 miles into town without breaking a sweat, while wearing 4-inch heels. I'm not yet at goal, but I can now do things that would literally have killed me at this time last year -- or that I would (not literally) have been willing to kill someone else to gain the ability for.

I follow many of you Atkins-ers by reading other threads, so I know that lots of you have come much farther this year than I have! I really enjoy reading about your progress in the "challenge" threads and I have gained a lot of strength through reading about the work you've done and the obstacles you've faced. Congratulations, to all of you, for working so hard this year and for doing great things for your health and well-being. I hope the new year will bring you as much strength and progress as the past year!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chalagurl
Stats: 245/240(16 weeks pregnant)/130
WOE: JUDDD
That is awesome and inspiring!!! Great job
Chalagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Your progress and dedication is inspiring. May the coming year see even greater success for you. Bless you for sharing what you have learned.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: biggestloser
Stats: High Weight 244 in Feb 06, Current:212/205/190
Start Date: December 18th, 2012
Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
biggestloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
You have had startingly fantastic results, and your knowledge is exceptional, too.

I started in March 2012 when I saw a very unflattering photo of myself onstage (I'm a musician). I was eating Atkins style and lost 40 pounds 9 years ago, generally maintaining for most of those years, but the pounds had crept back up. I attribute that to eating too many lower carb treats like wasa crackers and peanut butter and low carb jam, dark chocolate and so-called low carb ice cream. I stopped eating those things and went cold turkey atkins induction in March and I've lost 44 pounds since then. I allow myself one indulgence -- either sparkling wine or mich ultra or miller lite beer and aside from that keep to Atkins induction level carbohydrates/food. What keeps me going is being able to look good in my old, smaller clothes again! I will NOT allow myself to get fat again! I'm also healthier, my knees don't hurt going up or down the stairs any more, and I don't have to take Prilosec any more!

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!

Last edited by DairyQueen; 12-30-2012 at 03:45 PM..
DairyQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Trillex and Dairyqueen,
How inspiring. Your stories are very encouraging to people like me who are just starting out on this journey. Trillex your photos are great. Dairyqueen we would love to see your pics too. BEfore and afters are always so amazing. Great job you two.
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

OK The first one is me a year ago, singing in my band at the Air and Space Museum
The second two were taken December 1, 2012 at Night of 100 Elvises in Baltimore

Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
How Inspiring! Trillex I had to look twice at your shirt! My sons soccer team 2 yrs ago wore those Jerseys!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
Wow DQ! You look gorgeous. At 148 I would be past goal lol Awesome to see that you were able to keep it off too and are so close to goal. Great Job!
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZoobaAruba
Stats: 179/156.7/125 (mini goal 146)
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: September 15 2012
Your photo's are inspiring Trillex and DQ. Congratulations

I've lost 23 pounds total since I started atkins in September, only a few more until I reach a normal, healthy BMI, so excited!
ZoobaAruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Trillex,

Great photos!

I love that you're wearing the same outfit, so we can really SEE the change. In the first, to take the side-view, the shirt is obviously stretching a bit over your bust and bottom, and your arm fills the sleeve. In the second, the shirt hangs like it's too big, touching breast and bottom, and just HANGING. The sleeve is loose on your arm.

Our "start" numbers are similar, and our "now" numbers would be if I hadn't gained back 10 lbs in November... though I started several months before you. You go at this with a dedication & enthusiasm I admire. I think that -- like me -- your biggest reward is not the bathroom scale, but improved health and physical well-being.

May we both reach our goals in the coming year.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much for your support, ladies! HappyHappyHappy New Year!

I just want to say that I'm not a *fast* fat loser -- I'm not one of the people who lost 15 pounds during the first two weeks of induction. I've lost only a moderate amount of scale weight each month -- in fact, I only lost 1.5 pounds in September -- but progress, no matter how modest, adds up much more dramatically than seems possible. And the only way to see the true power of gradual change is to look back on it. So I just hope we will all keep going in 2013, because no one can stop us from reaching our goals as long as we keep moving forward.

I follow Chantal, Princess, and DQ over on the "challenge" thread, and your progress keeps me going throughout the month. I only weigh-in once per month, so your daily postings help me *feel* like I'm moving forward every day. I'm so grateful to you all -- and I'm so proud of all of the progress you've made!

Congratulations on being ADORABLE, DQ! You are one of my absolute faves, because you are the most level-headed dieter I've ever met. Your ethic seems to be Let's just do what we need to do to get this done, and let's be thankful that it's working. You're the person who has shown me the value of staying grounded throughout this process.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Oh you are too sweet, Trill!! And YOU have the greatest smile!
I lose pretty slowly too, but i don't sweat it, as you don't!
Cheers to the new year and let's all make our goals (I am confident that we will!)
dq
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlyGirly
Stats: 212/199.0/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Thanks for sharing your story. Your numbers are impressive!
CurlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mydear
Stats: 315.5/220.2/199 lbs
WOE: protein & veggies
Start Date: 2/01,1/03, 1/05, 9/06, VSG-12/08, 9/10, 4/12
christmas last year and this year

congratulations trillex..you look amazing

here is my one year progress pics

404351_2757977824082_635253131_n.jpg
christmas 2011/ 315 lbs

12-16-12 001.jpg
christmas 2012/ 244.8 lbs

Last edited by mydear; 01-02-2013 at 07:08 AM..
mydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Fantastic change mydear!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydear View Post
congratulations trillex..you look amazing

here is my one year progress pics

Attachment 47782
christmas 2011/ 315 lbs

Attachment 47783
christmas 2012/ 244.8 lbs
Over on the "challenge" thread, I read that you've lost 70 pounds this year, Mydear, but WOW! Seeing those pictures still amazed me. Seriously, you look the way people look on those TV weightloss shows -- your change is honestly as dramatic as a Biggest Loser before-and-after. Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mydear
Stats: 315.5/220.2/199 lbs
WOE: protein & veggies
Start Date: 2/01,1/03, 1/05, 9/06, VSG-12/08, 9/10, 4/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Over on the "challenge" thread, I read that you've lost 70 pounds this year, Mydear, but WOW! Seeing those pictures still amazed me. Seriously, you look the way people look on those TV weightloss shows -- your change is honestly as dramatic as a Biggest Loser before-and-after. Congratulations!
trillex you made me smile.... your progress is awesome also
mydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sueshe
Stats: 226.5/207.0/135 5'4 1/2
WOE: Kinda counting calories/fat
Start Date: Feb 10 2014
So glad you posted this link for me mydear. Thank you so much, this has really given me inspiration, you ladies have done wonderful!!!
sueshe is offline   Reply With Quote