Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fatqueen
enough of induction or not yet?

Hello low carbers it's nice to be surrounded with people that you have something in common. So I am in a ketogenic diet,inspired by the Atkins induction phase,for about a month and a half now. I don't have ketostix or strips so judging by the pee smell I must be in ketosis ,because I don't use any processed foods(f.e. Sausages or pre made salads or meats)even my sandwich is made with chicken breast I baked alone(and flax seed bread) Seems I have lost some inches because my pants are loose and cellulite is also reduced, I have a waist again and so forth.I am 1,73 and around 80 kg (I started at 86 kg) inches are more important than scale numbers for me. My calories are around 1200 almost impossible to take more,st 800 I could easily stop. About 60%-65% are fat,20%30% protein and 5%or a bit more carbs

Generally I feel great with this diet, energy levels are great, no hunger, I had no problem cutting sugar and bread. Now i'm thinking of introducing some fruits again such as berries.Also I am kind of tempted to buy some raw honey to use into smoothies after my workout.Not intending to go over 60gr of carb per day.Is it possible to stay in ketosis when using a teaspoon of raw honey and half a cup of berries let's say? I am interested in foods that have a high nutrition value and I think raw honey is one of them. Will this make me gain weight? Also do you think it will make my hunger come back?

Now lastly,about my period,it has almost never been stable 100% and last month was very late due to changing my diet I suppose,this month is also late.Should I be worried?

fatqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
If you have lost 50% of the weight you want to lose than I say Go for it. But add them slowly (I think the book said 5 carbs a day). Not sure about the period thing as I have never had a regular cycle myself. Good luck
Jennifer
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
First off, your urine doesn't smell differently if you are in ketosis. Now, Maybe if you ate some asparagus....

Are you afraid to weigh?
Berries are fine, but honey is not fine. A tablespoon has 17 carbs. There's almost all your induction carbs! Only about 2% of the honey you eat is minerals/nutrients, so - no - there isn't a lot of nutrition bang for your buck with honey. It's sugar.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
Berries are fine, but honey is not fine. A tablespoon has 17 carbs. There's almost all your induction carbs! Only about 2% of the honey you eat is minerals/nutrients, so - no - there isn't a lot of nutrition bang for your buck with honey. It's sugar.
I definitely second this reply, no honey.
Get the berries, they're good for you and will satisfy any craving you have abour fruit, but honey is sugar. And after a teaspoon you will want more, since it's sugar.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I wouldn't risk the honey, not yet. The berries though are great.

I wouldn't worry too much about periods. Any weightloss can mess with hormones, as these can be trapped in your cells with the excess water carbs make you carry. Once the cells give up that excess water, the way low carb especially makes you do, it can mess with your cycles for a bit. Things will settle down again. And maybe be better - I get much less in the way of pre-menstrual symptoms when I'm low carbing properly. But of course, if you're seriously worried about that, go to your doctor, don't take my word for it!

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.

Last edited by junkfoodmonkey; 01-10-2013 at 06:04 AM..
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
First off, your urine doesn't smell differently if you are in ketosis. Now, Maybe if you ate some asparagus....

Are you afraid to weigh?
Actually, as a bit of a side note, some people can smell ketones and they do smell like acetone. Ketones are shed from the body in saliva (hence the taste), milk (if one is lactating) and urine. Not everyone can smell them, but I am one who can. I think I read somewhere only 5-10% of the population can.

In my former life working with dairy cows (who can frequently become ketotic but for them, its not a good thing) my colleagues used to "test" me to see if I could call a cow before testing her urine and/or milk. I was right about 95% of the time...never a false positive. The ones I missed were always "trace" levels.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Yes, i was actually reading that last night! I learn something every day here!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Yes, i was actually reading that last night! I learn something every day here!
It's not a very pleasant smell, so please don't be jealous. It would way cooler to have a different super power.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote