Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NopainNogain
Stats: 218/211/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 26, 2012
First Time Induction / New to Atkins

Hey guys,

I am new to the board and new to Atkins. My parents are going to be away for a while so I decided now would be a good time to throw out all the junk food in the house and try this approach. The day so far has been good, but I am exhausted from no caffeine. I need the support and will be posting daily throughout this process.

NopainNogain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome! It's Great to have you here! lCF is a Great place for ideas and suggestions so come back all the time!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mspartytime
Stats: 248/240/155
WOE: ATkins induction
Start Date: started induction 12/27/2012
I am like you. I need my coffee and soda. Honestly I have done Atkins off and on for years and I never cut out my diet sodas and artificially sweetened coffee. It never seemed to harm my weightloss. I am just restarting though after 2 years off plan so we will see at the end of week one if that is still true for me as I am going to keep drinking my soda and coffee. Maybe try induction the first week without cutting out the caffeine and then if you don't shed as many pounds as you thought then cut it out the 2nd week?
mspartytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I see PrincessMommy is a longtime poster and Atkins user. Princessmommy have you found caffeine affects your weightloss?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Day 3... So far so good

Hey guys I really appreciate your feedback and support so far. On the first night, I woke up with cravings and had two tablespoons of peanut butter. Yesterday, I threw the peanut butter out and went through the rest of the cabinets and threw out the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and cookies that were frozen in the freezer. Needless to say, last night I woke up in the middle of the night but did not go downstairs to eat (nothing left to eat!). So far I started at 218, yesterday I was 215, and today I am 213. I am drinking decaf coffee and have cut out everything else. As far as the diet soda goes and artificial sweeteners, I believe that for me those things trigger craving for real sweets so I am just going to do without. I do hope that this approach works in the long run. I woke up today kind of groggy, but it was a small price to pay for the progress I have already made in just three days! Thanks so much again for all of your comments!

Last edited by NopainNogain; 12-28-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
You are on your way to slim-dom!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hey Guys I am back. I am on Day Five. I bought Ketone Strips from CVS and the strip color correlated to "trace amounts." I am already down to 210.6 from 218. I am feeling hungry today. I had a few glasses of water already. Does anyone know if Cold Eez have carbs?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
You may feel like you have a cold because you are going through carb withdrawal. I felt horrible for a couple weeks, fuzzy, tired, vaguely nauseated. Remember to eat enough fat with your protein. When I was in induction and felt puny, I'd have a fried egg (or two) with butter and it helped me greatly.

I think ColdEz would probably have carbs, but check out the ingredients.

Make sure to take a good vitamin supplement, as you drop weight you also lose the water weight that carbs make us hold. With that, you lose some minerals. You might need a calcium, magnesium supplement and/or drink low carb broth to keep from getting leg cramps.

Also, get some Morton's Lite Salt, it has half potassium, half sodium, use it when you cook and you'll be getting some good potassium.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honeyrose29
Stats: 198/168/135
Start Date: 09/27/12
Hi NopainNogain!

How are you feeling? Induction can be rough. For me days 5-8 were typically the worst and I felt simply awful. Don't give up though because very soon you'll be full swing in ketosis and you'll no longer feel hungry. You'll also have a ton of energy.
For me personally, caffeine doesn't affect my weight loss/cravings. For my husband it stops him dead in his tracks. It's better to wean off of it anyway.. right?

It's been nice to 'meet' you!
Debbie
honeyrose29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Beezer and Honeyrose for the comments. And yes, today I feel horrible. Today is day 9. I am still only show "trace" to "small" amounts of ketones on the testing strips. Tuesday, day 7, I weighed in at 208, then Wednesday, day 8, I was 212! Today I am back down to 210. I ate a lot of prosciutto on Tuesday, and am guessing the salt in the prosciutto piled on the water weight. I found out the sugar free coldeez have about 2.4 grams of carbs and the vitamin c packets I was taking had 5 grams of carbs (sugar- ugh hate ratting myself out). A few days last week I had 5 cold eez and two vitamin c packets, for a total of 17g of carbs PLUS the three cups of salad I am allotted in induction. What is your guys opinion on this mistake? Do I end my two weeks at two weeks or extend it a little to make up for those days? I am really feeling tired and miserable today, I want a cup of coffee, but I am not sure. I need a hug!!!! ...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))

you are doing really well. it may be that the cold remedies kicked you a little out of ketosis but I wouldn't worry too much as you have got straight back to it and know why it was. I tend to use induction longer than 2 weeks as I find that it is once I start trying to add other things in that I struggle more with control. If you are back in ketosis and want to move onto owl at the end of the 2 weeks then there is nothing to stop you.
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: biggestloser
Stats: High Weight 244 in Feb 06, Current:212/205/190
Start Date: December 18th, 2012
I went off plan several times during the holidays. At least you have the excuse of having a cold! I think if you're satisfied with induction type foods, you can stay on it longer than 2 weeks. I'm thinking of staying in induction until I'm 199 or the end of the month, whatever comes first. Also, I drink a couple cups of coffee a day with a little heavy cream. I know it's not proper, but I'm in Seattle. And I get cranky without my coffee.
biggestloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
I'd stay on induction until the cravings are gone and your energy returns. You still sound a little shakey. Sounds like you'd be jumping the gun to go off induction when you are still struggling with your carbs.

Stick with it!

I'd dump the ColdEZ and go with a pill -- Tylenol Cold or something. Don't try anything you mix and drink, it will have sweeteners. The carbs aren't worth it when you are brand new on induction and learning the ropes.

Drink water and ALWAYS have good LC snacks on hand so you aren't tempted to cheat. I'd concentrate on doing the induction 'clean' and learning what foods are good for you and get your bearings before moving out of induction. (I stayed in induction for about 2 months.)

I've been strict (very)LC for over 2 1/2 years, pretty much <20 grams of carbs every day. Some people can do that, some prefer to move up. I'm fine (almost 3 years) with VLC and I don't get cravings and have great energy.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 01-03-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hi NopainNogain ,
I just read a little about what you went through on your 2 week induction. I think I read somewhere that a person should stay on induction until they lose half the weight they want to lose. Anyone else agree or disagree? I am new so I may be wrong.

JEnnifer
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hluxe
Stats: 165/165/135
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NopainNogain View Post
Thank you Beezer and Honeyrose for the comments. And yes, today I feel horrible. Today is day 9. I am still only show "trace" to "small" amounts of ketones on the testing strips. Tuesday, day 7, I weighed in at 208, then Wednesday, day 8, I was 212! Today I am back down to 210. I ate a lot of prosciutto on Tuesday, and am guessing the salt in the prosciutto piled on the water weight. I found out the sugar free coldeez have about 2.4 grams of carbs and the vitamin c packets I was taking had 5 grams of carbs (sugar- ugh hate ratting myself out). A few days last week I had 5 cold eez and two vitamin c packets, for a total of 17g of carbs PLUS the three cups of salad I am allotted in induction. What is your guys opinion on this mistake? Do I end my two weeks at two weeks or extend it a little to make up for those days? I am really feeling tired and miserable today, I want a cup of coffee, but I am not sure. I need a hug!!!! ...
Personally, I cannot take capsule vitamins. They make me sick - the only vitamins that don't make me ill and nauseous are the gummy ones. For me, that comes to about 7 carbs a day. I have just accepted that induction for me is 27 carbs instead of 20. I still lose weight comfortably and get to get my vitamins that I need. I was seriously deficient in Vit D no matter what I ate and couldn't keep down capsules until I started on gummies and I am not prepared to go back to that. Maybe see how you go, maybe you can extend for a week?

I know that Sheila of Sugar Free Sheila fame did a modified Induction for a lot of her weight loss - I think there was just the addition of some natural PB in her case and I think I recall reading that she allowed a few extra veggie servings.
hluxe is offline   Reply With Quote