Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Thanksgiving menu??

For those on Induction I need some ideas for Thanksgiving!!!

I can do turkey, salad. Then I feel stumped.

Anyone have some good healthy dessert ideas????

I"m trying to stay in ketosis over the holidays.

Sigh LOL
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/2012
I'm impressed. There's no way I could give up my favorite eating holiday of the year. I'm cheating that day.

Appetizers/Hors d'oeuvres should be fairly easy if your family eats like mine does. There's always cheese, olives, charcuterie, pickles, and usually canapes that you could take off the bread part and eat the top of.

If you're handy in the kitchen, making your own green bean casserole (with homemade cream of mushroom soup or similar) would be doable(obviously leaving off the french fried onions), as would cranberry sauce(a monkey could make cranberry sauce... really. It's SO easy) if you used splenda instead of sugar, and maybe gussied it up with a little fresh ground ginger and lemon juice instead of orange. Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes of course.

My suggestion for desserts would be (perhaps pumpkin) cheesecake with splenda and a hazelnut crust (hazelnuts, butter, maybe some hazelnut flour - I made this for myself for my birthday and it was awesome). If you would like my modified low carb recipe, I'll be happy to share it. It's a modified version of Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cordon Rose cheesecake which is super silky and not quite as dense as a standard NY style one. You could also make yourself chocolate creme brulee (minus the caramelized sugar on top of course)

Last edited by Laurel; 11-15-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I'm impressed. There's no way I could give up my favorite eating holiday of the year. I'm cheating that day.

Appetizers/Hors d'oeuvres should be fairly easy if your family eats like mine does. There's always cheese, olives, charcuterie, pickles, and usually canapes that you could take off the bread part and eat the top of.

If you're handy in the kitchen, making your own green bean casserole (with homemade cream of mushroom soup or similar) would be doable(obviously leaving off the french fried onions), as would cranberry sauce(a monkey could make cranberry sauce... really. It's SO easy) if you used splenda instead of sugar, and maybe gussied it up with a little fresh ground ginger and lemon juice instead of orange. Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes of course.

My suggestion for desserts would be (perhaps pumpkin) cheesecake with splenda and a hazelnut crust (hazelnuts, butter, maybe some hazelnut flour - I made this for myself for my birthday and it was awesome). If you would like my modified low carb recipe, I'll be happy to share it. It's a modified version of Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cordon Rose cheesecake which is super silky and not quite as dense as a standard NY style one. You could also make yourself chocolate creme brulee (minus the caramelized sugar on top of course)

Thanks I bake with Xylitol do you know anything about that??? Not sure if I have to add more or less to the recipes.

I did find this recipe....

PERFECT LOW-CARB KEY LIME CHEESECAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Is this induction friendly????

Thanks for the advise!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Thanks I bake with Xylitol do you know anything about that??? Not sure if I have to add more or less to the recipes.

I did find this recipe....

PERFECT LOW-CARB KEY LIME CHEESECAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Is this induction friendly????

Thanks for the advise!!!
I haven't used xylitol, but I'd imagine you could find an "equivalent" chart somewhere to see how much to sub in. I find that splenda is much sweeter than the same volume of sugar (even though you're supposed to be able to sub them 1:1, so I generally cut it by 1/2 to 1/3.

That cheesecake recipe looks fine (although with egg whites and not whole eggs, your texture is going to be way off), but I'd question using artificial lemon and lime flavorings when they're easy enough to find, zest and juice, and they taste like real things. There's really not a good substitution for zest IMO. I PERSONALLY think that my cheesecake recipe is the best that's out there, but of course I'm partial to it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

What's your cheesecake recipe????
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

For the crust:
1.5c finely chopped hazelnuts
1 stick salted butter
.5 cup hazelnut flour
a little splenda

Mix together, press into bottom and up sides of pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 until nuts have toasted a little.

For the filling
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2-1/3 c splenda
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed (you can also add the zest of the lemons if you mince it super finely)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sour cream

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream room temp cream cheese with splenda and beat (using whisk attachment on a stand mixer) for a few minutes (2-3)

Beat in the eggs 1 at a time mixing until incorporated and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition

Beat in lemon juice and salt until thoroughly mixed, and add the sour cream and beat until just incorporated.

Pour batter into a springform pan (or 9" cake pan that's been greased and lined with parchment) and place that pan into a larger one and fill the larger one with 1" very hot water. If you are using a springform, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil to prevent slippage.

Bake for 45 minutes, then, without opening the oven, turn the oven off and let the cake sit in the hot oven for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Cover with greased plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Removal from springform pan is easy. To unmold from a standard cake pan, submerge pan in very hot water for 10 seconds and then flip onto a flat surface (I like a greased plastic wrap covered cutting board). If that doesn't work, try another 10-15 second dip until it does work. Then remove parchment from sides and bottom and re-invert onto serving dish.

This recipe comes in at 4g net carbs per serving, 15 servings per recipe.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Are you making Thanksgiving dinner or going to one? I have low carbed Thanksgiving for the past 10 years and have never ever felt deprived. Also, so what's wrong with eating turkey and salad? It's all in your head. For me, Thanksgiving isn't the food -- it's the time I spend with family and friends. I've eaten thanksgiving dinners when I've just eaten turkey and green beans! so what's wrong with that? I never went home hungry!
The trick is to keep your eyes on the prize -- which is a thinner, healthier you. Just because it's Thanksgiving doesn't mean that you have to go off plan. As a matter of fact, Thanksgiving foods can be extremely Atkins friendly. Lets see -- smoked salmon and capers for an hors do'oevre, turkey and green beans and salad for the main course, and how about coffee with double cream while others are having dessert? Sounds deee-lish to me!

Later: looking in my fridge tonight, I thought of all sorts of things that one could make / take to thanksgiving dinner: stuffed olives, roasted brussels sprouts (with blue cheese and almonds), a charcuterie platter -- so many delicious things. That's why low-carb is such a good woe.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!

Last edited by DairyQueen; 11-15-2012 at 06:38 PM..
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSunNoFun
Stats: 157.5/146.0/135.0 (5'3)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-10-2014
One of my favorite side dishes and is very low carb friendly.

One yellow or white onion. Cut up so you have long thin to med slices
4 to 5 crook neck yellow squashes, cut up in 1 to 1 in a half in chunks
3 to 4 full table spoons butter. If the squash are huge or onion is
Salt

Cook the onion in the butter untill the onion are clear and can even been browned and grilled up good and sweet. Add your washed and dried squash, and salt. Put the lid on turn to low and cook until all is tender and yummy. Can be then spooned into a searving dish and sprinkled with nutmeg for a yummy side dish that everyone will GOBBLE GOBBLE up!
NoSunNoFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Almonds Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I have made something very similar to this before with a little splenda added at the end. It makes for a verrrrrry nice side dish, and even sprout haters love it!
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy George Stella

Ingredients
Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk35 View Post
Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

Recipe courtesy George Stella

Ingredients
Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.

Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.

Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.

Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Can you believe its 6:30 am and I have this dish in my oven!! lol. I thought I had pork rinds left but I dont. I was going to crunch them up and top the dish with it Sure looks good and cheesy without it however. Cannot wait!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
For those on Induction I need some ideas for Thanksgiving!!!

I can do turkey, salad. Then I feel stumped.

Anyone have some good healthy dessert ideas????

I"m trying to stay in ketosis over the holidays.

Sigh LOL
I've just wrapped up my Thanksgiving baking / roasting!

I marinated and roasted a duck with a sauce made of sesame oil, rice vinegar, orange zest, rosemary, garlic, and black pepper.

I stuffed the duck with a blend of ground beef, ground pork, oregano, garlic, orange zest, 1/4-cup minced onions, 1/4-cup diced fresh tomato, and 1/4-cup of minced serrano peppers.

I pureed a head of cauliflower and baked it into a casserole with butter, cream cheese, sour cream, shredded gruyere, chives, and garlic.

I stuffed jalapeno peppers with a blend of cream cheese, extra-sharp Vermont cheddar, and a pureed roasted habanero pepper.

I made marbled brownies. The brownie part is made of: 1/2-cup butter, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 20 drops of liquid splenda, 1 teaspoon pure almond extract, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 5 tablespoons Scharffenberger cocoa powder, 2 large eggs, 3/4-cup finely ground almonds, 1/2-teaspoon baking powder, and a dash of salt. The marbling was made is made of: 4 ounces cream cheese, 6 drops liquid splenda, 1 small egg, 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract, and a generous 1/4-cup of chopped walnuts. Baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in an 8" x 8" stoneware casserole dish.

I made individual pecan cheesecakes. I used 3/4-pound of cream cheese, 20 drops of liquid splenda, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/8-cup heavy cream, 1/4-cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon "Pumpkin Spice" seasoning (a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves). I baked 4 individual cheesecakes in half-cup ceramic ramekins, without a crust but with a crunch pecan topping that is made of 1 cup of coarsely chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons of butter, 5 drops of liquid splenda, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

This will be the first time I've had dessert food since I started Atkins in May, so I'm not sure how the brownies and cheesecake are going to taste. But they look delicious!

Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving, everyone! Cheers!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I've just wrapped up my Thanksgiving baking / roasting!

I marinated and roasted a duck with a sauce made of sesame oil, rice vinegar, orange zest, rosemary, garlic, and black pepper.

I stuffed the duck with a blend of ground beef, ground pork, oregano, garlic, orange zest, 1/4-cup minced onions, 1/4-cup diced fresh tomato, and 1/4-cup of minced serrano peppers.

I pureed a head of cauliflower and baked it into a casserole with butter, cream cheese, sour cream, shredded gruyere, chives, and garlic.

I stuffed jalapeno peppers with a blend of cream cheese, extra-sharp Vermont cheddar, and a pureed roasted habanero pepper.

I made marbled brownies. The brownie part is made of: 1/2-cup butter, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 20 drops of liquid splenda, 1 teaspoon pure almond extract, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 5 tablespoons Scharffenberger cocoa powder, 2 large eggs, 3/4-cup finely ground almonds, 1/2-teaspoon baking powder, and a dash of salt. The marbling was made is made of: 4 ounces cream cheese, 6 drops liquid splenda, 1 small egg, 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract, and a generous 1/4-cup of chopped walnuts. Baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in an 8" x 8" stoneware casserole dish.

I made individual pecan cheesecakes. I used 3/4-pound of cream cheese, 20 drops of liquid splenda, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/8-cup heavy cream, 1/4-cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon "Pumpkin Spice" seasoning (a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves). I baked 4 individual cheesecakes in half-cup ceramic ramekins, without a crust but with a crunch pecan topping that is made of 1 cup of coarsely chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons of butter, 5 drops of liquid splenda, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

This will be the first time I've had dessert food since I started Atkins in May, so I'm not sure how the brownies and cheesecake are going to taste. But they look delicious!

Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving, everyone! Cheers!
Oh my gosh!!! Do you have any pictures you can share? Sounds amazing!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Whoah trillex i eill be Right Over!!!! Sounds totally fab!!!!!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSunNoFun View Post
Oh my gosh!!! Do you have any pictures you can share? Sounds amazing!
The cheesecake was delicious! But the "brownies" were a bit too cakey, although the flavor was okay. I'll try something different next time and try to make them more chewy than cakey. I'm obsessively picky about texture.

Here is the cheesecake:

Here are the brownies:
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote