Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KalamityKaTT
Stats: 365/311/185
WOE: Low Carb - Induction
Start Date: January 1st 2014
Induction Friends

Hello!

Here I am again. Without going into a million reasons as to why I fell off this board I will just say that I'm back with a Vengeance.

My break down is as follows,

About 5 years ago I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in about 5 month'ish (if memory serves me right). Then I had surgery.

I gained it all back and then some.. over time.

Then in February 2011, I reached my highest weight of 365. I decided to try Atkins again. By June or July I had managed to lose about 60 to 70 lbs. Over the next few months I stalled and struggled.
I did finally get down to about 275 by Sept'ish. Then I was dealt several blows by the death of my father, then my best friend. Just as I was past all that my husband had a stroke. I used, of course, all of that to go on an eating spree and have only dabbled with Atkins here and there since then.

Fast forward to November 1, 2012. I weighed in at 327. I'm now on the end of day 5 and I'm down 9 lbs thus far. I don't anticipate it taking me too terribly long to get back to my 275 but past that could take some work. I'll worry about that when and if it happens.

In the meantime, I welcome all my old buddies as well as any new buddies to join me as I take on this long-term induction way of eating again. I could use the encouragement and feedback from others on what works, and what doesn't. In the past it has helped to share menu ideas, daily eats... and exercise habits. I encourage anyone who wants to join me to do the same.
365 - 2/1/11 ~ 275 - 8/13/11 ~ 90#s in 6 months.

Restart
327 - 1/1/14
First mini goal - 275 lbs
---------------------------------------------------
KalamityKaTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjdaniels
Hey! ive just started the induction its my first day. i ate alot though! i didnt have alot of carbs but i had ALOT of meat. can i eat as much meat as i want as long as i keep the carbs to a minimum?
cjdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdaniels View Post
Hey! ive just started the induction its my first day. i ate alot though! i didnt have alot of carbs but i had ALOT of meat. can i eat as much meat as i want as long as i keep the carbs to a minimum?
This is a common misconception. Eating unlimited amounts of meet can be a problem. However, when you first start off... I wouldn't worry about it. Within the first week or two you usually reach a state of satiety where you will start feeling full. It's generally when you're in full swing ketosis.

My general rule of thumb is... Do what you need to do for the first two weeks as long as you stay within the guidelines of induction. Meaning, I use proteins to fill my stomach so that I don't feel like I'm being starved. This usually means that I each larger portions of protein that I would later on. Also... drink LOTS of water before and during meals. That will help fill you up as well.

Once you get past the cravings and any possible induction flu.. this way of eating becomes much easier and your appetite will start to decrease. Make sure you get your greens and salad in to make sure your getting proper nutrients. Also, if your a fish eater.. that helps with protein overdose. In the long run you don't want to be consuming mass amounts of meat but if your doing induction or other parts of "atkins" you wont need them to fill full.

Hope that helps, yell with any more questions

-Katt
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Hi,
Happy to see you back. I have just came back myself.As of today. I too,fell off the LC wagon due to family problems,job problems and just feeling sorry for myself. I restarted on monday.I haven`t weighed in,so I don`t know IF I have lost anything,yet.I am at my all time highest weight in my life.I decided to get the weight off.I am sick of feeling so darn bad.Maybe we can help each other out with support and lose this weight !!! Good Luck to everyone !!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Hi,
Happy to see you back. I have just came back myself.As of today. I too,fell off the LC wagon due to family problems,job problems and just feeling sorry for myself. I restarted on monday.I haven`t weighed in,so I don`t know IF I have lost anything,yet.I am at my all time highest weight in my life.I decided to get the weight off.I am sick of feeling so darn bad.Maybe we can help each other out with support and lose this weight !!! Good Luck to everyone !!!
We can both do this Jaded! We've done it before. We just gotta "work the steps". We know this to be a proven method its just a matter of us both sticking with it and taking charge of our willpower.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

That is so true !!! I forget how easy it gets with time and how much I feel betteras time goes on.YOu are right, we can do this and have before. Good Luck to us !!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Woot!

So week one is officially behind me. During that week.. Yes. I ate two.. count them... two croutons that I cleverly snatched off my sister-in-laws plate whilst she wasn't looking. Also... last night I saw a carved up pancake sitting in the fridge with peanut butter and syrup on it. I snatched the tiniest of pieces off that. Oh.. and yes.. I've eaten some walnuts.

Other than that tho.. I've stayed completely on plan. My reward?? 317!
Terrible that I should be so damn happy but I'd sworn to myself NEVER to get back over 300 lbs.. So much for that! SO I'll take my 10 lb loss with a very grateful heart and shoot for another 10 during my 2nd week. Hell, I might even try harder to see what I can do before my body starts to betray me with smaller numbers.

As a reward for my very good behavior, I just polished off two filets of Swai Fish with brocolli, parm, and mayo on the side. I actually felt guilty eating it because it filled me up and looked so great. Id never had this fish before.. I'm not a huge fish eater anyway but Son made it and it didn't stink! I thought what the heck and gave it a shot. I'm in heaven and going to make a run to the store to get my own. All you "I just can't stand fish nay-sayers"... truly don't knock it until you've tried it. It doesn't smell, it crisps up really nice... in a word.. AMAZING! Nuff said!

Alas, I'm starting to remember why I love eating this way. I knew it was just a matter of time. As an extra reward I just put some sugar free jello in the fridge...

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is fairing.

Much love...
KaTT

Last edited by KalamityKaTT; 11-08-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I didn`t end up doing well last week. We had unexpected company and that made me blow it.I did get up this morning with a NEW look at life in general and I am starting induction this morning.I am going to be as strict as possible and hope for the best.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elhunt0101
Stats: 175/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: 1/1/12
Hi all. I too woke up this morning with a 'fresh' look at my woe, after eating so terribly last week. I love to read the encouragement that's here on LCF. I know we can do this and that we will be victorious........now off for a hamburger (no bun of course).
elhunt0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhunt0101 View Post
Hi all. I too woke up this morning with a 'fresh' look at my woe, after eating so terribly last week. I love to read the encouragement that's here on LCF. I know we can do this and that we will be victorious........now off for a hamburger (no bun of course).
I love the bunless burger! I take cheese and two burgers and stack tem in a bowl. Then toss on some shreaded lettuch and a maybe a pickle or two topped with mayo... Heaven!

I'm glad you like the site.. I do too. Seems a bit slow since I came back last week but hopefully we can get it hopping again!

Feel free to jump in any time you like!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I'm on day five of Induction. So far, the only craving I'm struggling with is for diet soda. I know that opinions are mixed on them, that some people say they don't affect weight loss and other say they stall you; but I'm of the opinion that they're unnatural and I should start weening myself off them. The problem is that they do help satisfy my sweet tooth, and I love having a diet drink with my snacks or dinner. I guess I will see how they affect me by the end of week one.

Today I had jalapeno, bacon, and cream cheese poppers for lunch. Tonight I'm making low carb meatloaf, salad, and mashed cauliflower. I cooked the same dinner over the weekend, and my husband and I loved it so much that I'm making it again. I am down five pounds so far. I'm hoping to be below 230 by Thursday. I'm making each ten pounds a goal for me, so I get to celebrate a little each time. I am most looking forward to getting under 200 again. In February 2010, I got down to 197, something I thought would never happen. I did it through low carb eating and exercise, so I know I can do it again. In the last two years, my husband lost his job, we lost our house, we had to move, and life got flipped upside down. I gained all the weight back. But now I'm trying to get my strength again and move on. Life can only keep going whether I'm fat or not, and I don't want to be fat and unhealthy anymore.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofsand View Post
I'm on day five of Induction. So far, the only craving I'm struggling with is for diet soda. I know that opinions are mixed on them, that some people say they don't affect weight loss and other say they stall you; but I'm of the opinion that they're unnatural and I should start weening myself off them. The problem is that they do help satisfy my sweet tooth, and I love having a diet drink with my snacks or dinner. I guess I will see how they affect me by the end of week one.

Today I had jalapeno, bacon, and cream cheese poppers for lunch. Tonight I'm making low carb meatloaf, salad, and mashed cauliflower. I cooked the same dinner over the weekend, and my husband and I loved it so much that I'm making it again. I am down five pounds so far. I'm hoping to be below 230 by Thursday. I'm making each ten pounds a goal for me, so I get to celebrate a little each time. I am most looking forward to getting under 200 again. In February 2010, I got down to 197, something I thought would never happen. I did it through low carb eating and exercise, so I know I can do it again. In the last two years, my husband lost his job, we lost our house, we had to move, and life got flipped upside down. I gained all the weight back. But now I'm trying to get my strength again and move on. Life can only keep going whether I'm fat or not, and I don't want to be fat and unhealthy anymore.
First of all... Good on you for taking the rein by the horns. I completely understand your falling off.. We've all done it. Hell I think last year was the worst year of my life thus far. But its past me now and I'm back. You see, I think that is what is most important. Not that we succumb to old lifestyles but that we pick ourselves back up, dust ourselves off, and get back in the race to healthfulness.

As for your food ideas.. i'd love to hear your meal choice as time passes. I've never quite mastered the many uses of cauliflower other than mock potato salad (Extremely Yummy). Also, I completely understand your need to cut out soda. I'm the type of person who either drinks LOTS of it... or none of it. I rarely have an inbetween. Thus my weight problem. At current I'm still drinking them but forcing myself to start drinking more and more water until I can say I love water more. I did hear that aspartame can cause stalls. I don't really know the truth of it. I've lost with it and I've stalled with it.. so hard for me to tell what the cause was. I did find a soda that has nutri-sweet. I actually REALLY like it and I count each soda as one gram so that I use it as a "treat".

Also, Have you tried sugar free jello as a sugar sweet sub? It's completely allowed on induction. Just for your FYI. =D
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamityKaTT View Post
First of all... Good on you for taking the rein by the horns. I completely understand your falling off.. We've all done it. Hell I think last year was the worst year of my life thus far. But its past me now and I'm back. You see, I think that is what is most important. Not that we succumb to old lifestyles but that we pick ourselves back up, dust ourselves off, and get back in the race to healthfulness.

As for your food ideas.. i'd love to hear your meal choice as time passes. I've never quite mastered the many uses of cauliflower other than mock potato salad (Extremely Yummy). Also, I completely understand your need to cut out soda. I'm the type of person who either drinks LOTS of it... or none of it. I rarely have an inbetween. Thus my weight problem. At current I'm still drinking them but forcing myself to start drinking more and more water until I can say I love water more. I did hear that aspartame can cause stalls. I don't really know the truth of it. I've lost with it and I've stalled with it.. so hard for me to tell what the cause was. I did find a soda that has nutri-sweet. I actually REALLY like it and I count each soda as one gram so that I use it as a "treat".

Also, Have you tried sugar free jello as a sugar sweet sub? It's completely allowed on induction. Just for your FYI. =D
Thank you so much for the support. I tried Atkins last year (in 2009 and 2010, I just did basic low carb, not Atkins), and while it worked for me, I did not use this board as much as I should have. I eventually lost my motivation. So far I've visited at least twice a day. It really helps to read what others are doing and experiencing. I feel so much less likely to cheat when I come here and read.

I have not used the sugar free Jell-o yet, but I have some in my cabinet. I have been drinking an Italian cream soda every night or a cup of sugarless flavored coffee, in addition to the diet sodas with dinner. My goal right now is not to buy anymore diet soda when I'm done with the last bottle we have in the house, and that will happen in a couple of days. At that time, I plan to drink tea and water. I love iced tea!

Mashed cauliflower is my favorite low carb side dish, but I have to be careful not to overeat because it's so delicious. I posted on a thread about the dangers of wonderful cauliflower a couple of days ago. lol My mashed cauliflower is very high calorie, so should be approached with caution. I put a stick of butter, a pack of cream cheese, salt, pepper, and two frozen bags of cauliflower (boiled until soft and drained) together, blend it all with my stick blender, and...whew. It's tastier than real mashed potatoes.

Anyway, I will definitely keep checking this thread. I'm glad to be with you all. We can do it.
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all, I have had a great day, so far. I have kept it strict and on plan. I swear I can tell this eve I have lost.I know what you mean about diet sodas.I started drinking them much more while I was off the wagon and now I want one more often. I made some tea with splenda.I have some (not much) daily and it is helping me to wean off the soda.I do drink all decaff drinks.
KATT I am so HAPPY for you,girl !! Ten pounds is great !!!!!! You are right all it takes is working the plan !!!!! Lets do this !!!! Good Luck to all of us !!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofsand View Post
I love iced tea!

Mashed cauliflower is my favorite low carb side dish, but I have to be careful not to overeat because it's so delicious. I posted on a thread about the dangers of wonderful cauliflower a couple of days ago. lol My mashed cauliflower is very high calorie, so should be approached with caution. I put a stick of butter, a pack of cream cheese, salt, pepper, and two frozen bags of cauliflower (boiled until soft and drained) together, blend it all with my stick blender, and...whew. It's tastier than real mashed potatoes.

Anyway, I will definitely keep checking this thread. I'm glad to be with you all. We can do it.
I too love iced tea... need to drink more of it. LOL... meaning less soda pop. as for the mashed taters...erm Cauliflower.. I don't have a stick blender.. do you know if a regular blender used on blend mode would have the same effect?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I am going ahead and just posting on the induction friends website.See you all there.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: txblondgrl
Stats: 400/380/160
WOE: Atkins (with my own twist)
Start Date: November 2012
Hi friends! I'm new to low carb (on my 2nd week), but so far I'm loving it! I'm losing about a pound a day and constantly searching for new foods, ideas, recipes, etc. because this really is a new way of eating for me.

I've gained and lost so many times in my life, but this is the biggest I've ever been, so it's nice to see it coming off quickly.

My goal is to get to my goal weight (160) by the time I turn 40 (a little over 2 years away and over 200 pounds away). That will give me plenty of time to figure out this WOE and get it mastered!
txblondgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txblondgrl View Post
Hi friends! I'm new to low carb (on my 2nd week), but so far I'm loving it! I'm losing about a pound a day and constantly searching for new foods, ideas, recipes, etc. because this really is a new way of eating for me.

I've gained and lost so many times in my life, but this is the biggest I've ever been, so it's nice to see it coming off quickly.

My goal is to get to my goal weight (160) by the time I turn 40 (a little over 2 years away and over 200 pounds away). That will give me plenty of time to figure out this WOE and get it mastered!
Hello Tx!

I'm assuming you're from texas? Me too! Though I put down roots in California a LONG time ago.

I was looking at your stats, you're doing great. I'm so glad you found us. I also have gained and lost more than I could ever track but hopefully I will stay on a downward trend until I get somewhere I'm comfortable. My goal is about 185.. being that I'm 5' 9 and have a big bone structure. The doctor charts say I should be around 165 but that is NEVER going to happen because I'm just not that interested in being THAT thin. On me, it would look sickly.

Anyway, When I started out I guesstimate that I was up to about 365. But that number is just an assumption because I stopped weighing self at one point and just ate. I was able to get down to 275 in about 6 months so believe me when I tell you this really IS attainable. Feel free to lean on us for support and also feel free to share your meal ideas, questions.. etc. I look forward to getting to know you as we both continue on this weight loss journey.

Again, Don't be a stranger... post away!

Last edited by KalamityKaTT; 11-14-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/2012
Quote:
I too love iced tea... need to drink more of it. LOL... meaning less soda pop. as for the mashed taters...erm Cauliflower.. I don't have a stick blender.. do you know if a regular blender used on blend mode would have the same effect?
I'm willing to bet that it won't be runny enough to work well with a standard blender, but if you have a food processor, it would work just as well as a stick blender. Otherwise a food mill or potato ricer would also work almost as well. Even whisking them in something like a kitchenaid stand mixer would probably work fine. It's effective on normal potatoes.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I'm willing to bet that it won't be runny enough to work well with a standard blender, but if you have a food processor, it would work just as well as a stick blender. Otherwise a food mill or potato ricer would also work almost as well. Even whisking them in something like a kitchenaid stand mixer would probably work fine. It's effective on normal potatoes.
Hubby heard about my predicament and went ahead and purchased me a hand blender so I'm going to give it a shot today I hope!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hubby heard about my predicament and went ahead and purchased me a hand blender so I'm going to give it a shot today I hope!
Nice. They're great to have! They are awesome for any kind of pureed soup, and they make making homemade mayo (where you can control the type of oil used) a breeze. I'd be a sad panda without my stick blender.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in... Still on plan for the most part. I'm increasing some veggies for a day or two because of lack of movement. Thus I'm sitting at the same weight and not budging. I'm expecting a swoosh once my body gets back in sync. Weighed this morning at 311.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Still here... something strange is going on. I solved the "not going" problem but despite sticking closely to plan, I'm up to 316.... Time to call Sherlock!

Where did everyone else go?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhrmayd
Stats: 5'10.5 ~145/141/130.0
Start Date: Restart 11/19/12
Hey Kalamity! I am in the same boat about falling off the wagon in regard to Atkins. Luckily I caught myself because I NEED to lose 15 pounds before Christmas. Its my goal. I have two closets full of beautiful clothes that I CANNOT WEAR until I lose, so my Christmas gift to myself is the ability to wear them Like getting a whole new wardrobe LOL!!
I just started Induction yesterday, stocked my cupboards w/Atkins friendly foods. I also started exercising this morning. Taking my dogs on a 5 mile hike every morning from here on in (I'm in the mountains, so 2.5 of those miles are uphill @ a 45 degree angle)
I figure my hiking coupled w/my Atkins, I'll melt my pounds HOPEFULLY fast

This board helps so much w/all the support and friendly people!!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

That hard core work out, coupled w/a meat only fest has jump started me into Ketosis. I awoke to the darkest purple possible on my little stick! YES!
I'm also down 1 pound, which I'm sure is just water, but a pound off my body in any form is welcome

Just had a lovely dinner of all meat hotdogs (no preservatives, fillers or nitrates) and meat chili & cheese on top. Going to have some bacon, mayo & tomato wrapped in Iceburg lettuce for dessert & a diet Hansen's Root Beer for my snackie.

Feeling good, soon I'll be off on another 5 mile hike.

YEA!!
myhrmayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Still here... something strange is going on. I solved the "not going" problem but despite sticking closely to plan, I'm up to 316.... Time to call Sherlock!

Where did everyone else go?
Obnoxious, but it happens. You may check your TOM state. I tend to stop losing 2 weeks before TOM til it starts, some retain water when TOM starts, etc. I recently had a pretty long stall (1+ month) and got restarted by severely limiting my carbs (eating mostly eggs for a day) and then being very strict. It seemed to help, though the weight loss has definitely slowed down overall for me since I started in July.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Just FYI... I'm having some health issues that i'm trying to address.. So I'm purposely going off plan for a day or two. Then I will have some answers, along with a refeed day or two.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

ugh...3rd day into my TOM. My cramps have literally taken my breath away & there is nothing I wanted more than peanut butter on saltine crackers.
But I didn't!!
And I'm still losing, so I'm good!!
Hopefully once my water retention goes away I'll lose even more weight, but as it is, I'm 11 pounds from my goal!!!
I have no hunger at all and have to force myself to eat at appropriate times everyday. Guzzling water & I think I should see my goal weight by the end of the month.
Oh it will be so nice to be able to wear a form fitting gown for NYE. I haven't been able to do that in a few years

Hows everyone doing???
myhrmayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjdaniels
Thankyou! i got into ketosis on my 5th day and felt FANTASTIC!! had so much energy and i swear by this diet!!
in saying that it was my birthday last weekend and i fell off the wagon big time. im struggling to get back into ketosis but after abit of reading up i think that its because i wasnt consuming enough fat?? the only fat i was having was the fat on my meat and i was grilling it etc after a week i still wasnt in ketosis and hadnt lost any fluid. so im trying a new approach today and your opinion/advice would be much appreciated. so this is what ill be eating for the first 3-5 days (just until i reach ketosis then ill add vegetables)
throughout the day i will have 3 atkins shakes each mixed with 80mls of canola oil and 3 chicken drumsticks.
this will keep my fat at around 200g with abit of protein and about 6.6g of carbs. i know its pretty strict but like i said its just for the first few days. i dont know how else i can add alot of fat to my diet without eating cheese (which i heared can slow down ketosis) oh and i also have a cup of decaf coffee with a smidge of whole cream and two splenda in the morning (yummm) do you think im on the right track??
i would also like to add that i lost about 56 pound 3 years ago just through eating healthy but have gained a further 17 pound which is what i want to loose. so i dont have alot to lose so was thinking of staying in the induction phase untill i reach my goal weight and increasing exercise when i start to stall. do you think it would take long to lose 17 pound on induction? im definately going to use this diet as a lifestyle change, even when i reach my goal weight i still want to stick to the next phases because my energy levels are just insane!!!! i love it!!

Last edited by cjdaniels; 11-25-2012 at 10:58 AM..
cjdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

HI All, I am back from the high carb Thanksgiving weekend. The cheesecake is gone. LOL. I am starting induction today and plan to stick with it. I am sick of feeling so darn bad. My back is killing me and I know weight loss will help it.I will be back later.Have a good day.