Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamadodge
Stats: 217.8/200.7/168
WOE: JUDDD baby!
Start Date: 1/3/13
Too much fat??

Ok, so here is the deal. I started low carbing again 8/27/12. I lost 10 pounds, and then have been stalled for weeks. I am keeping carbs around 20 per day (give or take a few), and don't eat any franken foods. I DO however eat bacon, cheese, eggs, sausage....Could it be I am eating too much fat?
I know I don't eat enough veggies, unless it is cauliflower, which I love...
Here is today, a typical day. I use an online tracker every day to log...
Thanks for your thought and constructive criticism in advance!

Breakfast:
Bryan Sweet Hickory Smoked Bacon - Bacon - Pan Fried, 5 Slice (19g)
Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 3 large

Dinner:
Kraft - 100% Parmesan Light Grated Cheese, 4 tbsp (6g)
Boneless/Skinless Chicken breast 6 oz

Lunch:
Hunt's Sauce - Basil Garlic Oregano Tomato Sauce, 1/4 cup (62g)
Great Value - Shredded Mozzerella Cheese, 0.5 cup
Hormel - Turkey Pepperoni 8 Slices, 8 slices
Great Value - Pork Sausage Patties, 1 patty
Your Lighter Side - Easy Gluten Free Pizza Crust, 1 cup cooked
mamadodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
What jumps straight out at me is that it's quite a lot of food overall, and also a fair bit of processed/cured meat rather than fresh.

5 pices of bacon and 3 large eggs seems like a lot for breakfast. I have maybe 2 strips, one eggs and a bit of sliced mushroom or tomato. That holds me okay till lunchtime with maybe an oz of cheese mid morning. I'm always surprised by how little food I need when on Atkins and how silly my portions were before.

I'd look at cutting your portions and trying to get only one serving of cured meat a day - and fresh meat or fish the other meals. And you already know you need more fresh veg!

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
On the other hand, I eat a similar breakfast - 2 fried duck eggs and 6 strips of bacon - every day without a problem. That usually keeps me going until dinner - might have a boiled egg or a Babybel cheese sometime in between, but not very often. I'm more suspicious of the processed meats and pizza crust, myself. I'd replace it, as mamadodge suggests, with meat or fish and a plain salad. Hope it works for you!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
From what I can see from your sample day, you need more fat. Skinless chicken breasts? No fat. Light cheese and for me, the gluten free pizza crust is franken food. You are still stuck in lo-fat mode.
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
the gluten free pizza crust is franken food.
I think it's just chicken and cheese though?

MamaDodge, since you use an online tracker, how many carbs are you actually consuming? It doesn't look like a lot of food to me, but I'd agree that you probably need more fat. A lot of people have good experiences with upping their fat and keeping their protein moderate while low carbing.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
You are right....my bad. I thought it was like Julian Bread or something.
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! Yes, the pizza crust was just cream cheese, eggs and grated parmesan cheese.

I can't even get my Ketone sticks to change anymore. I have not cheated one bit. Why would I not be in Ketosis anymore?

At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts and implement them.

Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I think it's just chicken and cheese though?

MamaDodge, since you use an online tracker, how many carbs are you actually consuming? It doesn't look like a lot of food to me, but I'd agree that you probably need more fat. A lot of people have good experiences with upping their fat and keeping their protein moderate while low carbing.
I am right around 20 every day (net) give or take 1 or two.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Waaaaaaaaay to much protein
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I agree - it's not your fat intake, it's too much protein.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
I agree with those that have said it's the pizza crust. However, if this is a typical day of eating for you you are eating a high sodium diet at every meal. You easily had 3000 grams of salt. Bacon, pepperoni, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, breakfast sausage, tomato sauce all are high in sodium. Also if your boneless/skinless chicken breast were frozen it is high in sodium too. I'd bet if you lay off the salt the weight loss will pick-up again I would not worry about fat or protein right now since it is still early on in your weight loss efforts.

Last edited by cinglessofme; 10-04-2012 at 04:08 PM..
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1233214234
I would eat a little less cheese and about half of that menu for my entire day, but that's just me. Everyone has different nutritional needs, give your body food based on what it needs. Maybe count calories?
1233214234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I do take in a LOT of sodium, but not all days are as bad as the one I. I drink lots of water already, but I am sure I could add another 30 oz cup/day.
Thanks again ya'll!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
Start Date: April 2012
Your body should be able to handle the excess sodium on a LC diet. I feel very sure that your problem is way too much protein.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Some guesswork.

From your profile pic you look about 5'5". Your goal weight is probably about 140.

Your daily protein range should be around 65 to 70 grams a day. Not much over or under those numbers.

Sedentary is fine. You don't need exercise to lose weight. There are many excellent reasons to exercise but weight-loss is not one of them for LC'rs.

LC woe is typically mildly diuretic so LC'rs typically need more sodium not less. LC is not a low-sodium diet.

Supplement with magnesium. This wonderful mineral has many, many benefits. Most Americans are deficient in it too. I take 2xRDA. Heed this warning. Don't go from your multi-vitamin dose to a full dose supplement in one day or you will be in the bathroom for some indeterminate amount of time.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Sedentary is fine. You don't need exercise to lose weight. There are many excellent reasons to exercise but weight-loss is not one of them for LC'rs.

LC woe is typically mildly diuretic so LC'rs typically need more sodium not less. LC is not a low-sodium diet.
From The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance:

"Factoid: The average American currently consumes between 5 and 10 grams of sodium per day. In the context of a high carbohydrate intake (which programs the kidneys to retain sodium), this is way too high of a sodium (salt) intake. But since cutting carb intake fundamentally changes how the kidneys handle salt, it is not clear that the common mantra "the less salt, the better" is correct when you are on a ketogenic diet."

The book goes on to explain that large amounts of sodium are flushed out of the body when low-carb dieters lose their stored glycogen when beginning the program. And further explains that dieters who don't replace the sodium they lose on a low-carb program also lose potassium. Potassium is an important factor in retaining and growing muscle -- one of the advantages of ketogenic diets is the maintenance of muscle mass while the body loses fat -- so the loss of potassium is counterproductive. Your ultimate goal in doing a low-carb reducing diet is to lose fat without lowering your metabolic rate, so maintaining muscle mass is important because the loss of muscle mass would reduce your resting metabolic rate (because muscle tissue burns fuel to sustain itself even when you aren't moving around).

Also, a note about exercise: It's true that exercise is not a necessary weight-loss tool on any diet program -- for many reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that studies show that dieters who exercise pay less attention to maintaining their daily calorie deficit because they believe that exercise will offset their overeating; exercisers don't increase their level of intensity once they've adapted to a regular exercise routine and so the number of calories they burn decreases as the body becomes adapted to the workout; and polls show that exercisers almost always overestimate the number of calories their workouts actually burn so they don't reduce their calorie intake enough to benefit from the calories they burned through exercise.

However, exercise affects the body's mitochondria (the engines inside muscle cells) in a way that increases insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue. Keeping insulin release low and efficient is a primary goal of low-carb diet regimes because insulin is anti-ketogenic. So exercise has features that are specifically beneficial to the goals of a low-carb reducing diet. Eating low-carb fundamentally changes the fuel the body burns and the way in which that fuel is burned so, when considering the metabolic advantages of a ketogenic diet, exercise can play a helpful role for low-carb dieters who choose to do it.

I'm not saying you have to exercise in order to lose fat -- decades of studies have shown that exercise is not the solution for excess bodyfat. But I did want to point out something that is rarely mentioned when people discuss the benefits of a ketogenic diet.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
From The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance:

"Factoid: The average American currently consumes between 5 and 10 grams of sodium per day. In the context of a high carbohydrate intake (which programs the kidneys to retain sodium), this is way too high of a sodium (salt) intake. But since cutting carb intake fundamentally changes how the kidneys handle salt, it is not clear that the common mantra "the less salt, the better" is correct when you are on a ketogenic diet."

The book goes on to explain that large amounts of sodium are flushed out of the body when low-carb dieters lose their stored glycogen when beginning the program. And further explains that dieters who don't replace the sodium they lose on a low-carb program also lose potassium. Potassium is an important factor in retaining and growing muscle -- one of the advantages of ketogenic diets is the maintenance of muscle mass while the body loses fat -- so the loss of potassium is counterproductive. Your ultimate goal in doing a low-carb reducing diet is to lose fat without lowering your metabolic rate, so maintaining muscle mass is important because the loss of muscle mass would reduce your resting metabolic rate (because muscle tissue burns fuel to sustain itself even when you aren't moving around).

Also, a note about exercise: It's true that exercise is not a necessary weight-loss tool on any diet program -- for many reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that studies show that dieters who exercise pay less attention to maintaining their daily calorie deficit because they believe that exercise will offset their overeating; exercisers don't increase their level of intensity once they've adapted to a regular exercise routine and so the number of calories they burn decreases as the body becomes adapted to the workout; and polls show that exercisers almost always overestimate the number of calories their workouts actually burn so they don't reduce their calorie intake enough to benefit from the calories they burned through exercise.

However, exercise affects the body's mitochondria (the engines inside muscle cells) in a way that increases insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue. Keeping insulin release low and efficient is a primary goal of low-carb diet regimes because insulin is anti-ketogenic. So exercise has features that are specifically beneficial to the goals of a low-carb reducing diet. Eating low-carb fundamentally changes the fuel the body burns and the way in which that fuel is burned so, when considering the metabolic advantages of a ketogenic diet, exercise can play a helpful role for low-carb dieters who choose to do it.

I'm not saying you have to exercise in order to lose fat -- decades of studies have shown that exercise is not the solution for excess bodyfat. But I did want to point out something that is rarely mentioned when people discuss the benefits of a ketogenic diet.
Trillex your post needs an S emblem emblazoned across it! What a great post!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1233214234
You don't have to exercise, it helps though.
1233214234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Some guesswork.

From your profile pic you look about 5'5". Your goal weight is probably about 140.

Your daily protein range should be around 65 to 70 grams a day. Not much over or under those numbers.

Supplement with magnesium. This wonderful mineral has many, many benefits. Most Americans are deficient in it too. I take 2xRDA. Heed this warning. Don't go from your multi-vitamin dose to a full dose supplement in one day or you will be in the bathroom for some indeterminate amount of time.

Oh boy....I am WAY over on protein then, and yes, I am 5'6". I guess I just don't understand how to eat eggs, red meat, cheese, tuna, whatever, without going to high in protein. All the low carb foods besides veggies seem rather high in protein as well....Constructive comments welcome here....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadodge View Post
Oh boy....I am WAY over on protein then, and yes, I am 5'6". I guess I just don't understand how to eat eggs, red meat, cheese, tuna, whatever, without going to high in protein. All the low carb foods besides veggies seem rather high in protein as well....Constructive comments welcome here....
Check out this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-low-carb.html

A bunch of the HF/MP/LC people have been posting what their menus are in that thread. I haven't read all of them but they are all shooting for 65-85% fat and moderate protein. The idea is to decrease your protein to an acceptable level and increase your healthy non-PUFA fats to a satiety. It can be challenging right at the first to keep calories reasonable but it is very easy to get in the swing of things. I maintain about 80g of protein and 70+% fat ratio and keep my calories around 1600. And I am full most of the day.

A good tip is to eat fatty protein and supplement with fats.

It isn't necessary for what you are doing (simply lowering protein) but there is lots of info in our 80/15/5 thread and lots of info in the NK thread too.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Check out this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-low-carb.html

A bunch of the HF/MP/LC people have been posting what their menus are in that thread. I haven't read all of them but they are all shooting for 65-85% fat and moderate protein. The idea is to decrease your protein to an acceptable level and increase your healthy non-PUFA fats to a satiety. It can be challenging right at the first to keep calories reasonable but it is very easy to get in the swing of things. I maintain about 80g of protein and 70+% fat ratio and keep my calories around 1600. And I am full most of the day.

A good tip is to eat fatty protein and supplement with fats.

It isn't necessary for what you are doing (simply lowering protein) but there is lots of info in our 80/15/5 thread and lots of info in the NK thread too.

THis is great! Thanks a bunch!!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

This is very interesting.

Quote:
This study demonstrated on average that exercise is not a robust stimulus for weight loss. But the combination of dietary restriction with resistance training resulted in better maintenance of lean tissue during weight loss
From Art & Science at location 2241 or page 125 if the kindle is accurate about page numbers.

The word not is bolded in the original text.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Trillex - as always,a very informative post - and one which explains why some people report night cramps when starting a low carb regime. Thanks!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote