Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZoobaAruba
Stats: 179/156.7/125 (mini goal 146)
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: September 15 2012
How many carbs do you count in a salad?

I've been pretty diligent about keeping careful track of my carb intake....except for the salads, I usually count them as 5g of carbs each. I'm either eating subway salads, or homemade salads.

At subway, I always get lettuce, cucumbers, olives, and grilled chicken, with olive oil and lemon as a dressing. (serving size = regular subway salad bowl/plate)

At home it's usually lettuce, celery, mushrooms, cucumbers, and 2-3 florets of cauliflower, plain. (serving size = est. about half a dinner plate [est. because I don't chop any of them up, but it's 2-3 slices/leaves/sticks of each])

I have no idea if I should count the subway salads as 1/2/3 cups, and the home salads are mixtures of small amounts of veggies, each with their own carb count. How do you count the carbs in your salads?
ZoobaAruba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I count the carbs in each serving, and try and be as accurate as I can, at home and eating out, although I don't do that much, and it's usually salad lol. Those Subway salads are really big, deceiving to the eye. Just the lettuce alone I'd venture to say is 2-4 cups, plus the higher carb veggies, olives, etc added. Those salads could easily be 1/2 or more of your daily carbs on induction, not that it's a bad thing, just need to be careful.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
At subway, I always get lettuce, cucumbers, olives, and grilled chicken, with olive oil and lemon as a dressing. (serving size = regular subway salad bowl/plate)
Lettuce 0,7 per cup = 2 cups = 1.4
cucumbers (half) = 1.4
olives (5 black?) = 0.7
grilled chicken = 0
olive oil = 0
lemon (1 tbsp) = 1.3

TOTAL: 4,8

So your guess is about right, assuming my guesses are right, otherwise the count may be much higher.

Quote:
At home it's usually lettuce, celery, mushrooms, cucumbers, and 2-3 florets of cauliflower, plain. (serving size = est. about half a dinner plate [est. because I don't chop any of them up, but it's 2-3 slices/leaves/sticks of each])
Lettuce 0,7 per cup = 2 cups = 1.4
celery 0,8 per stalk = 1.6
mushrooms (1 cup) = 1
cucumbers (half) = 1.4
3 florets of cauliflower = 1.5

TOTAL: 6.9

So your guess is not so right, assuming my guesses are right.

Personally, I would count your salads otherwise how can you tell your daily intake? On the above salad, as an example you have already had almost 2 carbs more than you'd have assumed, two salad per day? Then it's 4 carbs more! It's easy to fall beyond, especially when we add things like lemon juice, which alone is 1.3 carbs of...nothing!

If it can help you, a cup of lettuce is about what you can hold in a semi-closed handful. Bend your fingers at 90°, then that's about a cup of lettuce. I find it easier to measure it this way than with a proper cup.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZoobaAruba
Stats: 179/156.7/125 (mini goal 146)
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: September 15 2012
Paleo, thank you for the detailed answer! I think i'll try making more of my salads at home so that I can keep more careful track of the carbs. My problem was that most carb counts for veggies use a huge serving size (1 head of lettuce, a 12" cucumber etc) and i don't measure my veg, and i dont think i've ever seen a foot long cucumber XD i'll just use the carb values you just used and adjust per portion thank you!
ZoobaAruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 7/2012
I find an easy (and safe!) way to make things is to put a bowl/plate on my scale and add ingredients, record grams, zero the scale, then start over. Everything's easy to plug into a calculator and there's no judgement calls regarding how much a cup is. That is, while I'm making new recipes. Once I've gotten good at eyeballing it, I generally count on it being pretty close to whatever I calculated the first few times.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote