Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Khloe
WOE: Atkin's / South Beach Diet
Start Date: 07/24/2012
Induction Shaky & Feel Like I'm Going to Pass Out

Hubby and I did South Beach with no success at all. I'm thinking it may have been the sugar-free popsicles and fudgesicles that were on it. I don't know. Anyway, because of that, we decided to give Atkins a whirl and see how it works for us. They're virtually the same anyway, except Atkin's doesn't allow the two treats & sugar-free Jell-O.

Knowing my body, I know that when I don't eat sugar, I get shaky and feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't want to experience this. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Like, should I eat more protein? Not exercise for the first two weeks? Have something sugary lying around just in case? It's scary. And, as a person who suffers from anxiety, I always assume the worst, like death. Sounds crazy but it is my reality.

Anyone else experience this and how did you push through and/or prevent it/deal with it?
Khloe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaGergets
Stats: 155/130.8/130; 5' tall
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: Started 08/03/2012; Goal reached: 11/06/2012
Sounds like a hypoglycemic reaction to me. I'd recommend slowly lowering your carb intake over a period of days, rather than going all the way down to 20 grams a day all at once.

Also, anytime you feel shaky or like you're going to faint, have on hand some almonds or something that has a lot of protein and a moderate amount of carbs. Take a handful when you feel wonky (but don't eat them all the time - they're too high in carbs to eat on induction, as a general rule.)

Also, depending on how carb-resistant you are (or aren't), you may find that you don't need to go down to the 20 grams a day that induction requires, and you'll still lose weight.
LisaGergets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
well...sugar never really fixes anything. sugar is our enemy.
Now - there is nothing wrong with lo-carb jello. I'd try to do induction for the two weeks without it, but if you feel ill, then try it. One of my trusted standbys is a teaspoon of low/no sugar peanut butter if i think that i need it. But if, in the end, you can't stand to have any sugar (and there is sugar in almost EVERYTHING these days and it's a struggle just to avoid it), then maybe you should explore some of the other ways of eating on this board. But, to be fair, try to follow Atkins induction to the tee for the two weeks.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!

Last edited by DairyQueen; 09-09-2012 at 09:11 PM..
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lanarkwitch
Stats: 343/197/178 40yo, 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: The mayans were still around
I agree with Lisa up there, I'm new to the board but not new to low carb, definitely sounds like a hypo, I suffer from them too as well as low blood pressure and you will find that by not eating the carbs in the first place that cause the sugar highs, you will eliminate the sugar lows.

The first week of induction is the worst, I have actually fainted on more than one occasion , not fun, but keep well hydrated and go for several small meals in the day rather than 3 big ones and that will ease the pain.

Try and avoid the artificial sweeteners as much as poss as well and give yourself a good detox, it's tough going but induction is only a short time and if anything it will really help you work out what agrees with you and what doesn't
Lanarkwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AuburnNurse
Stats: 353/in progress/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/10/12, restart 5/6/13
You can definitely be experiencing low blood sugar, but, I just finished reading the book, as well. Low sodium intake can also make you feel this way, so be careful that you're getting a proper amount of this! The shakiness can sometimes be attributed to out of whack sodium electrolyte. Plenty of water and sodium helps.
AuburnNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaGergets
Stats: 155/130.8/130; 5' tall
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: Started 08/03/2012; Goal reached: 11/06/2012
Khloe, I forgot to mention yesterday that you should be taking a good multivitamin/mineral supplement (always with food), if you're not already.

Just try to remember that the way you feel initially will NOT last. It's not called the Atkins flu for nothin'!

Soon you'll get past it (and it never lasts too long) and you'll have more energy than you have in a LONG time!

How are you feeling today?
LisaGergets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
There are also false hypo's when going through carb-withdrawal. If you have a bg meter you can make sure. I would get first hypo's all the time when I was first diagnosed with diabetes and went vlc.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnNurse View Post
You can definitely be experiencing low blood sugar, but, I just finished reading the book, as well. Low sodium intake can also make you feel this way, so be careful that you're getting a proper amount of this! The shakiness can sometimes be attributed to out of whack sodium electrolyte. Plenty of water and sodium helps.
You definitely have to watch the sodium, my husband was recently hospitalized because his sodium was WAY down (106) - not diet related but something we never would have thought to monitor!
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AuburnNurse
Stats: 353/in progress/199
Start Date: 9/10/12, restart 5/6/13
I've always avoided salt shakers. My mother has had high BP as long as I can rememeber, even when I was a young child and my older brother developed it in college in his early 20s! I've been safe so far, but reading that we have to monitor and increase our sodium intake, especially during induction was an eye opener and we need it to balance our electrolytes with the changes.

Weird for me, after tracking all my intake yesterday, I came in around 18 net carbs, but I also came in at 3.4g of sugar!! That's sheer madness.
AuburnNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
when you lose water weight fast at the beginning of a low carb diet, it washes a LOT of sodium out of your body. just don't avoid salt at that time. 2 cups of bouillon or equivalent salt per day are recommended as long as you are losing at a pretty fast clip.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
when you lose water weight fast at the beginning of a low carb diet, it washes a LOT of sodium out of your body. just don't avoid salt at that time. 2 cups of bouillon or equivalent salt per day are recommended as long as you are losing at a pretty fast clip.
That is probably why I saw bouillon mentioned in the Atkins book. Although, he never said why. Thanks for that tip. And could put a bit of spinach and egg in there and make a meal of it, I guess.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Khloe
WOE: Atkin's / South Beach Diet
Start Date: 07/24/2012
Thanks for the advice, everyone! It has been a rough couple of days, and we never managed to start completely. Ugh. Anyway, tomorrow (technically today) is the big day!

I'll keep the sodium intake in mind. I have high blood pressure and take medication for it so I try to steer away from extra sodium. If I start feeling like crap, I'll definitely chow down on a pepperoni stick and some cheese. And, just in case I feel like I *need* a Jell-O or something more carby, I've got that low-carb crustless key lime pie recipe on standby.
Khloe is offline   Reply With Quote