Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Hang in there Neezie. You will do it. I am sure there is a reason Make sure you keep your fat intake up. Also did you measure before you started? If so, are you losing inches? If not, measure today so you can compare next week.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I'm giving up dairy too.

Neezie- I think it will be hard to lower cals while upping the fat? lol
Fat has the highest calorie count per gram.

I'd go as long as you can at the calorie level you are at now. Or try one thing first, like letting go of the dairy. If after two weeks of that and still no loss, then lower your cals by 100..if THAT doesn't work after two weeks, add more exercise..
etc etc etc.
It's no use doing everything at once because how will you know what it was that worked?? That's my thought anyway.

-Cosmic, how do you feel hitting the gym, energy wise?

Today is 7 for me, I peeked at the scale and am still holding steady at 188. I'm interested to see if letting go of the dairy has an impact. I've always wanted to try that experiment but was too chicken.

I'm off on our little adventures today! I will do the best I can but I'm not going to stress about it. Doesn't mean I'm going to pig out all week though!! You all be good!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cosmicstargoat
Stats: 248.5/241.4/215.0 by Oct. 1
Start Date: July 21, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post

-Cosmic, how do you feel hitting the gym, energy wise?
My energy is all right. What I have trouble with is soreness and my severe arthritis, so sometimes doing the work just makes my joints scream. Of course, the best way to deal with soreness is to keep on keeping on, and that is hard.

It is much easier to sit in my chair and watch The Olympics.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neezie
Stats: 238.2/getting smaller!/130
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I'd go as long as you can at the calorie level you are at now. Or try one thing first, like letting go of the dairy. If after two weeks of that and still no loss, then lower your cals by 100..if THAT doesn't work after two weeks, add more exercise..
etc etc etc.
Betty, Thanks for this. It makes sense. I lost .8 pounds yesterday, counting calories. It was 1700 calories, and I had the cream cheese and flax muffins. So I will try lower calories for awhile and see if that gets things moving.

I really appreciate everyone's support. I was yesterday.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Big Stevie (Are we going to have to call you little Stevie when you get to your ideal weight?)

Trying to deal with weight issues for years and years can can pretty bleak, dark, and isolating. It's so great to have a group of people who can help you get back on track and support you through the rough patches.

I did lose .8 pounds yesterday, so at least I have one menu I know works.
I am going to try to count calories and keep them at 1,700 and see how it goes.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurel
Stats: 188/168/135
Start Date: 7/2012
Hello Folks,
I just started on Friday (4 days ago) and I'm down 3lbs and almost 2lbs fat, hydration level is holding steady in the 49% range. I've started inputting everything that I eat into ****** to track where I'm at, and if I'm not sure how what I'm planning to eat will add up, I can build a day's worth of meals in there and see how it looks. I felt a little yucky yesterday so I'm assuming that was whatever my version of induction flu is. I was tired and had a headache.

I looked up a bunch of low-carb recipes online and made several of them, so I have a number of different options in my fridge and ready to go. I feel as though I'm setting myself up for success by taking away my excuses to eat "outside" my plan. I've tried less "extreme" diets but always have had a way of justifying adding "just a little more" of anything, so holding to a specific number that I must adhere to seems to work. I am a total carb junkie so staying away from them is too tough unless I make an edict that I CANT eat any carb-y things. I'm telling everyone close to me about it to help keep me accountable.

Any tips and tricks that haven't already been posted a million times?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Any tips and tricks that haven't already been posted a million times?
, Laurel. Congrats on the loss. The only "new" tip I have for you (based on my recent experience) is if you get stuck or stalled, come here for support instead of reaching for the carbs! These people can help you tweak it until it works.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Neezie did you measure your body? Are the measurements changing?

Also, what percentage fat consumption are you at on a daily basis? If you don't know, get onto ******.com and do a food log.

I just did the ******.com food log. I found that my fats are still a little low. I also found out the green beens are high in carbs. The cup I had for lunch was 11 carbs. Kinda shot my carb budget today. Wish I could do that over, LOL. Dinner is going to be 4 carbs or less.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-31-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

I had a slightly higher than planned day yesterday (in-laws came for dinner and I couldn't vary from the menu to make up for carbs that slipped in) due to a cucumber having way more carbs than I expected it to! I checked last night and I was in weak ketosis (first day with the strips) and just checked this afternoon and they're negative? I have only had like 7 grams of carbs so far today. What is up?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

I did the fit day.com today. Found out I at too many carbs today. Mainly brocli and green beans. But my calories were only 1,700. To get to my weight I was consuming 3,500 calories a day. For today, i am at half the calories and not hungry. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had a slightly higher than planned day yesterday (in-laws came for dinner and I couldn't vary from the menu to make up for carbs that slipped in) due to a cucumber having way more carbs than I expected it to! I checked last night and I was in weak ketosis (first day with the strips) and just checked this afternoon and they're negative? I have only had like 7 grams of carbs so far today. What is up?
Welcome Laurel! Hang in there some days are better than others. Keep your fats and water up and things will be fine.

BTW, I don't think any of us got overweight by eating to many vegetables, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I just discover I overdid the veggies today as well. I am sure we both will make it anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #222
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jillieb
Stats: 170.5/168/145
Start Date: 7.11.12
Welcome to all the new peeps...I'm gone for a few days and the thread explodes. I haven't lost in probably a week. But I had a few drinks and didn't get to my treadmill in a few days.

Today, I got back on the treadmill and eating was good.
b-3 eggs, scrambled in butter with a tiny bit of cheese
l-burgerking whopper jr. patty with slice of tomato, little bit of lettuce
s-1.5 cheese stick & slice of deli turkey
d-brocoli, beef, mushrooms, onions with ginger, garlic, soyasauce
s-1 cheese stick & slice of deli turkey

I noticed I haven't been drinking enough water either, so I'm upping that.

Well good luck and I'll have to stop by more frequently.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sails92
Stats: 319/309/175
WOE: Low Carb / Exercise (-10)
Start Date: 06/01/14
FYI: No weight loss in two days and I'm a little frustrated, but still encouraged. I just think that I'm stalling from the deviled eggs or cheese crisps. I'll just monitor for another day and make adjustments. Also, my calories are really low (under 1000) but my carbs have been consistent (18-25). I guess the weight didn't come on over night so I shouldn't expect miracles over night - lol.

Today's Menu:
B: 2 deviled eggs / 1 sausage link / coffee & cream
S: 8 cheese crisps (microwaved cheese cubes)
L: omelet ( cheese, diced ham, sausage crumble)
D: grilled turkey cheeseburger (no bun) & cucumber salad
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Klynne
Stats: 261/257.8/130
Start Date: 7/20/2012
Good morning all!

I am back, after I took a short vacation to a lake house for my birthday!
I did have a couple of beers while at the lake, so I knew I would gain some, and I did. When we left on friday, I was down about 5 lbs from my start, and when we came back on monday, I had gained about 1.5 of that back. However, in the last two days I have gained another 2 lbs! I am frustrated with that for sure . I have been looking over my meals, and I finally logged them into a tracker on my phone, and apparently I had some hidden carbs in there. So i am gonna go back to the basics. 1 cup of veggies, two cups of salad, and plenty of proteins and fats. I am also going to try to remember to get on here daily, reading other peoples success is uplifting.

Kerensa
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Big Stevie,
I have measured myself and I am definitely smaller, especially around my waist. I will keep doing it.

On ******, my fat is now at least 60% so I am doing okay there.

I hear you about the green beans. It feels like veggie carbs can really add up if we don't enter them on ******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Neezie did you measure your body? Are the measurements changing?

Also, what percentage fat consumption are you at on a daily basis? If you don't know, get onto ******.com and do a food log.

I just did the ******.com food log. I found that my fats are still a little low. I also found out the green beens are high in carbs. The cup I had for lunch was 11 carbs. Kinda shot my carb budget today. Wish I could do that over, LOL. Dinner is going to be 4 carbs or less.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Could any secret sugars been in salad dressings or sauces? Also, if you drink a ton of water, sometimes it weakens the strips. But the strips are not always accurate. I have been in heavy ketosis for a month and not lost much at all, so don't rely on them completely.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back, Jillieb! Way to get back on track. Water is so so important, I am finding. The days I lose, I noticed I drank a ton of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillieb View Post
Welcome to all the new peeps...I'm gone for a few days and the thread explodes. I haven't lost in probably a week. But I had a few drinks and didn't get to my treadmill in a few days.

Today, I got back on the treadmill and eating was good.
b-3 eggs, scrambled in butter with a tiny bit of cheese
l-burgerking whopper jr. patty with slice of tomato, little bit of lettuce
s-1.5 cheese stick & slice of deli turkey
d-brocoli, beef, mushrooms, onions with ginger, garlic, soyasauce
s-1 cheese stick & slice of deli turkey

I noticed I haven't been drinking enough water either, so I'm upping that.

Well good luck and I'll have to stop by more frequently.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Sails, good luck with tweaking it til it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sails92 View Post
FYI: No weight loss in two days and I'm a little frustrated, but still encouraged. I just think that I'm stalling from the deviled eggs or cheese crisps. I'll just monitor for another day and make adjustments. Also, my calories are really low (under 1000) but my carbs have been consistent (18-25). I guess the weight didn't come on over night so I shouldn't expect miracles over night - lol.

Today's Menu:
B: 2 deviled eggs / 1 sausage link / coffee & cream
S: 8 cheese crisps (microwaved cheese cubes)
L: omelet ( cheese, diced ham, sausage crumble)
D: grilled turkey cheeseburger (no bun) & cucumber salad
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Kerensa, Glad to have you back! Our motto here at induction babies is "tweak it until it works". The food trackers are real eye openers about what we're actually eating. Cosmicstargoat has a great thread called "How to Fail on Atkins" that really helped me with this kind of thing. You might want to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
Good morning all!

I am back, after I took a short vacation to a lake house for my birthday!
I did have a couple of beers while at the lake, so I knew I would gain some, and I did. When we left on friday, I was down about 5 lbs from my start, and when we came back on monday, I had gained about 1.5 of that back. However, in the last two days I have gained another 2 lbs! I am frustrated with that for sure . I have been looking over my meals, and I finally logged them into a tracker on my phone, and apparently I had some hidden carbs in there. So i am gonna go back to the basics. 1 cup of veggies, two cups of salad, and plenty of proteins and fats. I am also going to try to remember to get on here daily, reading other peoples success is uplifting.

Kerensa
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #230
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Kerensa, Glad to have you back! Our motto here at induction babies is "tweak it until it works". The food trackers are real eye openers about what we're actually eating. Cosmicstargoat has a great thread called "How to Fail on Atkins" that really helped me with this kind of thing. You might want to read it.
Thanks Neezie, I know I am just going to have to figure out what works for me. I did check over it, and it is helpful. I am just going to have to be really strict with myself. For instance, I know that in the Atkins book, it says not to drink anything with caffeine, as it can make your blood sugar drop, and give wicked cravings. I have not experienced this, so I am not really willing to give up my morning coffee. However, I am having to change how I drink it. I gave up creamer when I hopped into Induction, so now I am using heavy cream. When I was using my tracker, I realized that my sweet and low has carbs in it, so I will have to just suck it up and deal with unsweet coffee. The way I am having to look at it is that if it helps me, then so be it. I can reintroduce it later on, if I feel like it.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
I realized that my sweet and low has carbs in it, so I will have to just suck it up and deal with unsweet coffee. The way I am having to look at it is that if it helps me, then so be it. I can reintroduce it later on, if I feel like it.
Kerensa, I use nunaturals brand liquid stevia in my coffee and it tastes better than all the unnatural sweeteners and actually has been proven to stabilize blood sugars. has no carbs!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Could any secret sugars been in salad dressings or sauces? Also, if you drink a ton of water, sometimes it weakens the strips. But the strips are not always accurate. I have been in heavy ketosis for a month and not lost much at all, so don't rely on them completely.
I don't think so. I've been careful to check nutrition info on everything that passes my lips (I even checked the carbs on the TUMS that I ate last night!) I have been drinking a lot more water than I used to so it could definitely be that re: the strips.

I've been keeping an eye on calories and they haven't yet exceeded 2000 per day and I'm keeping my carbs where they need to be. Still nothing coming off after the first few days. Any suggestions? I may be a wee bit impatient. lol
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Kerensa, I use nunaturals brand liquid stevia in my coffee and it tastes better than all the unnatural sweeteners and actually has been proven to stabilize blood sugars. has no carbs!
Thanks Neezie! I will definitely have to look into that!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Big Stevie,
I have measured myself and I am definitely smaller, especially around my waist. I will keep doing it.
That is awesome. Who cares what the scale says if we are smaller in inches and look better, that is the true goal right! Keep up the great work. We are all getting there.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

I had a revelation today, my stomach growled. Over the past several years, I have had bad hypoglycemia and would feel very faint if I didn't eat very often. Today I was able to not eat until my stomach growled and told me it was time for some food. This is a milestone for me. Probably not a big deal to most, but this is the main reason I have been overweight. I am a happy man today. At this point my blood sugar issues seem to be in check which is as important, if not more important, to any weight loss benefits I might achieve.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Laurel, Maybe post a typical day's/week's menu. There are some really smart people on these boards who can give you some specific advice.

Big Stevie, Thanks so much for the positive words. It's true. My clothes are getting bigger and I have felt so much healthier. Like you, before Atkins I was sideswiped by sudden onset hypoglycemia. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Thought I was dying because I kept getting dizzy and shaky and blurry vision, until after I ate. After starting Atkins, it was like my hypoglycemia just disappeared!! Vanished! Poof!!!

It(the hypoglycemia) did come back a little these last couple of days only because I was trying to keep my calories really low and was waiting long increments in between meals. But, I am sooooo not going to do that anymore. I won't go too low in my calories. It's just not worth having the hypoglycemia. And I won't wait more than 5 hours without eating.

I think that I have to heal the hypoglycemia first before I go too low in calories.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

It(the hypoglycemia) did come back a little these last couple of days only because I was trying to keep my calories really low and was waiting long increments in between meals. But, I am sooooo not going to do that anymore. I won't go too low in my calories. It's just not worth having the hypoglycemia. And I won't wait more than 5 hours without eating.

I think that I have to heal the hypoglycemia first before I go too low in calories.
There you go. Restricting yourself undermines the concept of Atkins. If you eat enough calories and especially fat, the WOE will work and you will not suffer the debilitating hunger which is inexorably linked to your insulin fluctuation.

Keep it up we are here to lean on.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Well I have finally gone into real ketosis it seems and while weight isn't falling off of me, I am down .4lbs from yesterday. I am just going to keep chugging and give this a little more time.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I have finally gone into real ketosis it seems and while weight isn't falling off of me, I am down .4lbs from yesterday. I am just going to keep chugging and give this a little more time.
It takes time. None of us got overweight overnight, it was over months and years. It is not reasonable to expect to undo this damage over mere days and weeks.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Keep up the good work Laura. Stay off the scale everyday because it will just drive you nuts. Remember, the water you are drinking each day on Atkins is somewhere around 8 pounds (a gallon of water is 8.4 pounds). So depending on your peeing schedule, you could easily be up a pound or two. So, relax a little bit and just stick to the program and check your weight in a couple weeks. Also, make sure you take your measurements to insure you are getting smaller.
Closed Thread