Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #2131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyndalou52
Stats: 198/180./155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Dear Stevie :
Again thanks for the info. I didn't know about the h2o thing on oz. per body weight. I have been drinking water - about 6 -7 glasses a day (not every day) I will work harder on this. Great news about the on line menu planning sounds like just what I need.
Knee replacements are hard-- on us both. Paul has been very depressed and doesn't want to do the exercises and work he needs to . He gets mad at me--- I don't care--although at times it hurts- still have to help him get dressed and get out of bed ect. will be 2 weeks Wed. I''m concerned ---it is hard to be a caretaker at times. Good thing I love him-- think I'll need to do some tough love soon. He's wearing me out and he needs to help himself. I know it's hard... He wanted me to go to McD's to get him breakfast with 2 hash browns-- so I wouldn't have to cook. I said No hash browns and I have to cook for myself anyway. Now he's pouting. Oh well. Sorry to ramble on. Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #2132
Junior LCF Member

Oh yes - how could I not brag-- got on the scales - day 5 lost 5 lbs. Encouraged to stay on plan.
Lynda
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #2133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Lynda, I have been there a couple of times with the caregiving, and yes, it is tough. Tough. Especially when you really love the person who needs the care. (Though, to be honest, that's the only kind I have ever done.) I don't have any advice to speak of, but I suspect there is some pretty good guidance out there somewhere. Good luck with this. And congratulations on the five pounds.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #2134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Lynda, unfortunately there's nothing you can do until he himself realises that this cannot go on. My father is in a similar position, just without the surgery - he's a driver, so spends days in his car, and he's gotten so overweight he can't walk for more then 10 minutes. His legs just cannot carry the weight. His doctors are really concerned as well, he's got horrible blood results recently. I've been trying to tell him about Atkins and that it would take care of his bad blood results and get him up and about again, but he just won't listen, and there's nothing I can do. Feels horrible, and I'm worried about him.

Until he wants to change, there's nothing we can do, apart from setting an example, I think.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2135
Senior LCF Member

I've been loosening up just a little, as I add a few carbs back and start thinking about actual Maintenance as opposed to just pre-maintenance, and I scared myself by accidentally eating a cucumber! My god, five net carbs! Who knew? I don't normally buy cucumbers, but they were marked down and I thought they'd add a little variety to my salad. And so instead of landing close to 30 net for the day, which was basically my target, I hit 35, which I haven't seen for a couple of months. I thought it was kind of funny that I could get scared by a cucumber. But seriously, it feels good to be moving in a smooth and not-anxious way toward a long-term routine. (I also ate a tiny serving of porridge with almond milk, coconut butter, almond butter, spices, and vanilla. That was supposed to be my big carb splurge of the day, at 7.2, didn't anticipate the Green Monster. I thought I was eating, like, a piece of celery.)

Hope everybody had a wonderful holiday weekend and is trekking happily down the path toward the goal...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #2136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Hello, Induction Babies!

I've been offline for a bit because I'm back in Michigan, getting ready for the start of the semester, and I've been desperately searching for an apartment in this college town where affordable housing is scarce. I got lucky today, though! I found an unbelievably beautiful apartment in the exact area where I want to live and the cost is comfortably within my budget. I can't believe my luck!

I am looking forward to catching up on all of your posts tomorrow evening -- or maybe on Wednesday evening, after I've moved into my gorgeous new apartment. I'm just stopping in now to say a quick "Hello!"

Unlike vacation, I have kept up with my workouts even though I've been living in a hotel. It helps that this hotel has a nice gym that's always empty! HaHa!

I haven't overeaten in the way that I overate while on vacation. But I have been eating more food than I typically eat while I'm cooking for myself at home. At home, I cook portions that are appropriate to my appetite. But when ordering food from restaurants, I've noticed that I will eat a satisfying portion and then go back later and pick at the remaining food. I don't think I'm eating more of the food due to genuine hunger because, if I were at home, I wouldn't be having more food at that point. That's not a complaint, it's just a new thing that I've recently learned about my eating habits.

Cheers, everyone! I'm looking forward to catching up with you all soon!

Tril
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #2137
Junior LCF Member

Dear Martha:
Think you for being so helpful and understanding about my dear hubby. It's hard, as you do know And when he's ready-he'll be ready. It's just we've been married 40 yrs and would like at least another 490---lol
His heart Dr. said if he doesn't change he is headed for BIG trouble, You can bring the horse to the water- but you can't make him drink.
Lynda
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2138
Junior LCF Member

Dear Straphe
Thanks for your insight. I wish your Father well. I understand how scary this can be. Especially when you know Atkins can make a difference. Like you said hopefully with your example-- I light bulb will go off and he will see the Light and understand there is a way out of this. For a better quality of life. I too hope my dear hubby has the same happening-- as i see his life slippy to confinement and he's doesn't have to --- may we both see improvements Your're right on= they need to want to change.
Lynda
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2139
Junior LCF Member

Hi all
Has anyone felt real tried all the time at the beginning? Not sleepy but no get up and go feeling? I don't remember feeling this way last time....
Lynda
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #2140
Senior LCF Member

I am just stopping in to say "Thank you" to god, the universe, and everything for letting my knee be better today and apparently not truly injured. I was JUST getting to my goal when I pulled a muscle or something stretching too enthusiastically (it felt so good) and got up limping. Thought, "that's all I need to just completely screw up everything! Go lame!"

But I'm not lame. Just reminded once again that Not Getting Hurt is Job One.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #2141
Senior LCF Member

And PS to Lyndalou -- yes, tired is normal. It will pass in a few days or even less. Your body is (probably just) switching fuel sources. Adapting. If you're already past that point, i don't know, but I still have days when I just feel worn out, and I remember that staying in the weight-dropping mode is a stressor, and so sometimes I might feel it. That's my reasoning, anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #2142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Okay guys..Question time.

I've been reading posts on another board about pre-pregnancy weights, and lowest weights in adult life, etc. I'm 27, and I honestly can't recall what my lowest weight in my adult life has been, but I do remember being really proud of myself in 2006 for getting down to 240 (and of course, felt like since I'd done such a good job losing 20 pounds, i rewarded myself with food and gained it all back).

I know that numbers don't REALLY really matter at this point, and that health matters the most..and I definitely feel healthier, so I shouldn't stress too much..But I'm assuming I must have sat between 240 and 230 for a long time, because it feels like even though I've been strictly on plan since my pizza fiasco, the scale isn't budging very quickly.

My question is: Once a person passes a "set point range" or whatever, does the weight begin to quicken again? I feel like I'm in my set point range now..and I'm dedicated and motivated and remaining on plan despite the frustration..but I feel like I just need to hear an honest answer that once I get past this range the weight will come off a little faster. Any thoughts? It just seems like what HAS worked in the past isn't working, and I'm not sure what I should do? I've upped my fats, added a vitamin b supplement, kept my water intake up and steady..On plan, by the book, all the way..and I just feel trapped at this number and these measurements and it's driving me BATTY.

[[ "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." --Ralph Waldo Emerson]]
Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #2143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
Okay guys..Question time.

My question is: Once a person passes a "set point range" or whatever, does the weight begin to quicken again? ... I feel like I just need to hear an honest answer that once I get past this range the weight will come off a little faster. Any thoughts? ..and I just feel trapped at this number and these measurements and it's driving me BATTY.
My honest opinion is that no, it won't. Not unless you make a meaningful change in another area. This is based on my own reading and experience. I'm not an expert.

My rate of loss varied from less than a pound a week to almost two pounds a week for brief periods following a deep cutback in carbs. I often went a couple of weeks with no loss at all, even when I knew I was doing everything right. I was also counting calories. Eventually the scale would catch up, and my average was almost 5 pounds a month over six months. Not very dramatic, but it was enough to change my life pretty dramatically. I'm unusually short and small-framed, though, so most people will lose faster.

When I got to within three or four pounds of my lowest adult weight, I got hungrier and decided to voluntarily slow the rate of loss and start working on maintenance. But it was pretty clearly starting to slow down on its own.

Good luck with this. It's so, so, hard to have to wait for the results, when you have to dedicate yourself to the project all day every day. It's a very tricky thing to work out in your own head, the combination of motivation and patience. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #2144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Well Grateful Love, I have had a lot of time periods where I didn't loose anything for a couple of weeks. In fact, I went 10 weeks once without any lose. So it happens to many of us. There may be something to the "set point" stuff, but I don't know of any science backing it up.

I would suggest a couple things. Post a couple of your menus here for us to look at. Put your menus in an online tracker. There might be something you are overlooking. I did the same for myself once and I found I was eating too much cream, butter and cheese. Certain foods might cause some people to stall. Look into the things you are eating. Something might be causing issues for you.

But then again, it might not be anything but your body just not wanting to lose weight this week. For the first two or three times it happened to me, I ran around and did all of the analysis. Then I stopped. Now I just trust the system. After eating this way for over a year, I now know what I, me personally, can and can't do. You need to discover the same for yourself.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #2145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
I do think set points play a role. I lost from 280 down to 185 (mostly with HCG type eating) but couldn't maintain the losses very well. Even on 500-600 calories, anytime I got close to a previous set point, my losses would stall for over a week.

Another thing is hormonal challenges. For me, I lose best twice a month, a few days before TOM and a few days after TOM. Rest of the month I seem to retain water like crazy.

Just stick with your plan, avoid things you know stall you, and focus on how good you feel. You can tell from all the long timers around here that if you stick with it, you will lose over time.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #2146
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your honesty, Martha. I just don't understand what this hang up is about. I had a hang up like this at 242 and I sat there forever. Then I wiggled down quite quickly..and now, I'm at 235, and I'm not wiggling so much. Haha.

Stevie, here's yesterday's menu, and today's potential one, but I might change it.

B- BPC (3tsp coconut oil, 3tsp HWC, dash of SF caramel davinci syrup)
S1-3 hard boiled eggs
L-4 Lettuce roll-ups with baked chicken (and skin) with oil and vinegar to dip. Three slices of bacon, and 1 oz of mozz cheese melted on top
S2-handful of pork rinds with sour cream and onion salt mixed in to dip. (about 2 tbs)
Dinner-Same BPC, steamed broccoli and 7 oz of chicken with the skin.

Today:
B-BPC
S1-probably hard boiled eggs
L- Faux "taco" salad with curry instead of taco seasoning and the fixins.
S2-probably mozz sticks and bacon crumbles
D-to be announced, but I'm thinking butter garlic wings, or breakfast for dinner.

...I use a carb tracker on my phone and I'm very diligent with it. You'd suggested adding coconut oil a while back and it was a god send. I'm really interested in your words of wisdom :-)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #2147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/182.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
I have had set point issues on my last go around. I stalled for a long time at 174 and then again around 165, despite losing like gangbusters up to those points. Both were weights that I was at for a long time.

I found I had to get extra strict with myself for a couple of weeks and then was able to break the stall. Once I pushed past the lowest set point I started losing like gangbusters again and made it to my goal which was 155 at that time and even lower to 150 for a while.

I have no evidence for this or physiological explanation but it was true for me and for a couple of my weight loss buddies.

I would suggest eating extra clean and watching those carbs and calories for a while and you can do it!

Mini goal 1: Onederland by October 27 (Met Oct 24!! )
Mini goal 2: 189 by November 30 (Met Dec 3!! )
Mini goal 3: 184 by December 30! (Met Dec 21!! )
Mini goal 4: No backsliding through Christmas, start New Year under 185!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #2148
Senior LCF Member

Your menu looks good to me. Looks like you are doing everything right. Just hang in there and stay off the scale for a couple of week. Trust in the plan. Do it right and forget the darn scale. Take a waist measurement and use that as your guide. Or get a pair of pants that is just a little too tight and use those as the gauge. The scale isn't everything. It is all about how we look isn't it. The scale is only one measure.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #2149
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your experience Kaillean. I'm hopeful that mine is similar. :-)

Stevie, you're right, you're right, you're right. I'm just so used to using the scale as my progress marker. Blah. Yesterday, I pulled out pants that I'd got from Sal-Val (because I'm trying not to buy any brand new clothes until I get farther down the way.) And I have a new "sizer" that I'm working toward. They aren't so tight. :-) I'm really short, and every pair of pants I ever buy usually need the hem taken up, and I've gotten quite good at it, so I actually took up the hems in a couple pair for motivation so they're ready to wear as soon as my behind shrinks a little more. Fall is coming, and I hope that I can wear the "new" ones soon.

Trudge trudge trudgin along. It's not even really about temptation to carby foods lately..I'm pretty sure I've really taken to this WOE for good. I'm just annoyyedddd that my scale is acting like my arch nemesis right now.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #2150
Senior LCF Member

I have been buying all of my clothes at the "Sal-Val" (second hand store) for the past year. I have dropped 4 sizes. I have been shocked at what I have found to wear. Really good brand name stuff for very cheap. I don't know if I will ever go back to regular stores at this point even though I am getting close to goal.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 09-07-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2151
Junior LCF Member

Happy Sat. to all:
Had to post that the laggy tired feeling is starting to be less and less. Day 8, stepped on scale I've lost 7 pounds. YEA!!! I know I have so much more to lose...but I am happy my efforts are working. I even made meatloaf and mash potatoes for the family and didn't even take a nibble. Actually didn't seem to miss it. Smelled good though

Grateful Love - your posts have inspired me. Great job on the new size fitting better.
I hp at Sal Val; all the time and many thrift shops. I love the treasures I find. And its fun to me.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Hey Trillex, haven't seen any posts from you in a few days. I know you're in the middle of moving, but just wanted to say that I hope all is well. Missing your words of wisdom! (((HUGS)))
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #2153
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone!
I wondered if anyone could tell me how many Pork Rinds are allowed in induction and when into next stage.
When the rest of the family are eating chips or popcorn I eat the pork rinds. I am afraind I am eating way to many of them. Thanks!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #2154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Rule of thumb... eat until full. Don't eat to eat.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2155
Senior LCF Member

I shouldn't complain, but... I finally just got myself out of the threads that seem to always be about cheating. Nobody expects perfection, but that kind of thing gets old fast. Why cheat every couple of days when going by the program works so well? And there's so much good stuff to eat?

Oh well. I'm lucky because I don't have to constantly fix off-plan food for other people. That's a huge advantage.

I hit my target weight today. My BMI is 20.0 on the dot. My new pants look great and don't squeeze me too tight anywhere. And I'm grateful to have someplace to go and talk about it. Thanks for keeping me company, guys.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #2156
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndalou52 View Post
Happy Sat. to all:
Had to post that the laggy tired feeling is starting to be less and less. Day 8, stepped on scale I've lost 7 pounds. YEA!!! I know I have so much more to lose...but I am happy my efforts are working. I even made meatloaf and mash potatoes for the family and didn't even take a nibble. Actually didn't seem to miss it. Smelled good though

Grateful Love - your posts have inspired me. Great job on the new size fitting better.
I hp at Sal Val; all the time and many thrift shops. I love the treasures I find. And its fun to me.
And Congratulations, Lyndalou!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #2157
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndalou52 View Post
Hi everyone!
I wondered if anyone could tell me how many Pork Rinds are allowed in induction and when into next stage.
When the rest of the family are eating chips or popcorn I eat the pork rinds. I am afraind I am eating way to many of them. Thanks!!!
Since you are new, I wouldn't worry about them too much. They are on the approved induction food list, and we don't count calories. We are supposed to just eat until we are satisfied.

I find that I tend to overeat them, so I just take out a handful and not eat out of the bag. That way I can keep track. I try to do this with most thing. Portion control.

I try to be conscious when I eat. If I don't, I tend to overeat. What I mean by conscious is that I get a certain amount, I chew it thoroughly, I really enjoy each bite, and I eat slow. Before I was on this plan, I would just throw high calorie food in my mouth and chomp them on down without thought or enjoyment. You can eat a lot of candy, chips, or nuts and get a lot of calories quickly.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #2158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jseymour1591
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 16, 2013
Hi! I just recently started the Adkins diet a little over a month ago! At first I didn't know how long I could handle it, but now it has become second nature to me! I am still doing induction and I feel better than ever!! I am only 22 and being on the go working 40 hours a week, going to school at nights right after work, being a wife with a husband that has been working 80 hours a week for the past few months, and owning and taking care of my very own house we bought together in February has made it hard for me to eat anything good for me at all! I would grab a burger after work or pick up a pizza after school for me and my husband. I began to notice I was rapidly gaining weight and I didn't like it one bit! My mom who began Adkins about 9 years ago and then stopped about a year ago started up again so I decided to also! I am so glad I did too! Its already been over a month and I have gone down in clothing sizes and in general feel better! I do regret not knowing my start weight (I was too embarrassed for myself to find out). I am excited to learn new recipes and things that will help me through this way of eating!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #2159
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseymour1591 View Post
Hi! I just recently started the Adkins diet a little over a month ago! At first I didn't know how long I could handle it, but now it has become second nature to me! .... I do regret not knowing my start weight (I was too embarrassed for myself to find out).
Welcome. I never knew my heaviest either. You are not alone. How much are you trying to loose?

With the busy life you have, organization and preparation are essential. I always cook food on the weekend for the whole week. Things like pot roast, ham, turkey, and pork shoulder are great. I then use them during the week for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Stick around here, it is a big help. Folks around here will keep you straight.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #2160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jseymour1591
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 16, 2013
I always try to make meals for like 6 people so I will have tons of leftovers! I really just want to loose around 35-40 pounds and I want to keep it off.
Closed Thread