Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #2101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
What does this mean in terms of scale weight for you? If you are at 23% now, how much do you need to lose to get below 20% in terms of weight. I know it isn't an exact correlation, but approximately what number on the scale.

I know you have been working very hard. You look amazing. I am concerned that being so close to the body building community like you are, that they may set you up for unrealeastic expectations for a "normal" person. Yes, I have no boubt that you would be able to get really low like your brothers want, but at what cost? Most people in the world aren't willing to pay that cost (that is why there are so few body builders). I can assure you that the normal world thinks you look amazing as you are right now. Please don't loose perspective of the elite athletes have too much influence over what number you choose and how you see yourself.

You are a star just like you are!
Awwww... Thanks, Big Stevie!!! You've made me feel like a star!

Bodyfat is a bit *weird* because it's typical to lose "lean mass" while losing "fat mass" so the scale number that I would need in order to achieve a particular bodyfat percentage will vary depending on *what* I lose, not just *how much* I lose.

In my case, I had 108.8 pounds of lean mass at my last bodyfat scan. So, *if* I maintain at least 108 pounds of lean mass while losing additional fat mass, then about 135 scale pounds would put me at 20% bodyfat = 108 pounds of lean mass (80% of 135) + 27 pounds of fat mass (20% of 135). If I can maintain 108 pounds of lean mass while losing additional fat mass, then about 132 scale pounds would put me at 18% bodyfat = 108 pounds of lean mass + 24 pounds of fat mass.

Adding lean body mass is a completely different challenge than cutting fat mass, so my trainers want to address building additional lean mass *after* I've cut to my target bodyfat range. Adding lean mass would also mean adding fat mass in order to maintain the same range of bodyfat percentage. In my case, for example, if I add 2 pounds of lean mass, then about 138 scale pounds would put me at 20% bodyfat = 110 pounds of lean mass + 28 pounds of fat mass. And if I wanted to stay at 140 scale pounds with 20% bodyfat, then I would need to add 4 pounds of lean mass = 112 pounds of lean mass + 28 pounds of fat mass.

As Martha pointed out, the way that a particular body looks at a particular range of bodyfat totally depends on how that body is constructed. Different bodies can look very different when they're at the same bodyfat percentage -- even if both bodies are the same height and have a similar frame. It just depends on *how* and *where* each body keeps its fat stores. In my case, I would *probably* need to be below 15% bodyfat in order to show ab definition, but my hipbones became visible above 25% bodyfat. That's just the way I'm built. I wish I stored a bit larger proportion of hip and butt fat -- and a bit less torso fat -- but I don't and I can't change the way my body distributes my fat stores.

Female bodybuilders are typically competition-ready when they're at about 12-16% bodyfat -- then they have to "cut" to 8-10% for contests. For a female, getting to 20% bodyfat is considered "easy" in the physique competition community because the hormonal disadvantages don't *typically* limit fat loss until a female body is below 16% bodyfat. But it depends on the body type. Females who store the majority of their bodyfat in the hips and thighs *may* start having problems at a higher percentage of bodyfat because the "alpha-2" receptors that are concentrated in hip and thigh fat regulate some of the important lipolytic hormones, and they can dramatically change the body's hormone profile in a way that will, essentially, shut down fat loss. But that *rarely* happens above 18% bodyfat.

I haven't had any hormonal problems with fat release *yet*, which I'm VERY happy about. But if I start to have hormonal issues before I reach 18% or 20%, I will be ready to stop right there. I've seen my brothers, and some boyfriends that I've lived with, fight through "cutting" and it's horribly unpleasant! I have zero desire to go through the madness that they go through when fat cutting becomes physically difficult. I'm just trying to be healthy so it's not worth it, to me, to make myself crazy in order to lose a few extra percentage points.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #2102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
The blood pressure business is something that I am working on. It runs in my family and I've been treated for it for about thirteen or fourteen years, with the amounts of the meds gradually creeping up to the point that last year or the year before I maxed out on the one pill and it wasn't really controlled well anymore. So I was delighted when just a couple of weeks into my weight-loss project, when I had cut carbs to <100, I saw a big enough drop that I had to cut my pills in two. Huge! After that I honestly didn't see much change until I got into serious <20 g ketosis, when it went up a little. I was losing weight fast, drinking maybe a little more coffee, and the body was stressed. I didn't worry. Then almost three weeks ago I added magnesium supplements, 200 mg morning and evening, and I'm seeing real low numbers. I've dropped my dosage again. Of course, cause and effect can only be guessed at here, but it would be reasonable to attribute the drop to the magnesium. People use it for that. But I've also just recently had one of those aerobic-capacity breakthroughs -- more endurance, which I *think* I remember reading has to do with the opening up of new networks of capillaries or something -- so maybe it's just due to better fitness. It would be great to get off meds forever or just for a while, even. Most of my family manage the hypertension ok, but the ones who just can't stop smoking or who have the most stubborn weight problems have had some strokes. Brain health is pretty high on my list of priorities.

So that's what I was thinking about. I attribute the improvement to avoiding sugar and fructose and increasing magnesium. Weight loss and improved fitness should have had an impact as well, but it doesn't look like it so much from my log.

Last edited by martha; 08-26-2013 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: second thoughts
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #2103
Senior LCF Member

A little advice for newbies, advice that you have heard before. But this morning I got on the scale hoping for a long-awaited drop in the Number, and it went up instead. I laughed. I didn't use to laugh when this happened. I used to worry, "What did I do? What did I eat yesterday?" And now that I have six months worth of data, I can look back and say, "Yep, quite often after I do a really long hike -- like 7 to 9 miles long -- I am heavier the next day." That doesn't mean that exercise made me "gain weight." It just means that your body has its own agenda and its own schedule, and the good things you do sometimes take a while to show up. Don't make yourself crazy. Just because two things happen at the same time doesn't mean that one caused the other. There are good and bad aspects to keeping a log (obsession, anyone?), but one good thing is that you become aware of these harmless patterns and you can rest confident that you are still on the good path, no matter what the scale says. Laugh and move on.

Best,
Martha
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #2104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Martha that is great advice. Newbies, take note of that advice and keep a log and really pay attention. Many factors go into weight loss. It is sometimes hard to sort things out and it certainly takes time. Just pay attention.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #2105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Hey everybody!

I thought I'd catch up with how everyone was doing, and figured I'd write a post as long as I was here. It's great to see how good everyone is doing and how persistent everyone is - you people inspire me, truly.

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #2106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
Hey everybody!

I thought I'd catch up with how everyone was doing, and figured I'd write a post as long as I was here. It's great to see how good everyone is doing and how persistent everyone is - you people inspire me, truly.

Keep up the good work.
STRAPHE!!! Welcome back from vacation! How are you? How was Transylvania? Have you kept working out? How did things go for your diet and everything while you were away?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #2107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
The blood pressure business is something that I am working on. It runs in my family and I've been treated for it for about thirteen or fourteen years, with the amounts of the meds gradually creeping up to the point that last year or the year before I maxed out on the one pill and it wasn't really controlled well anymore. So I was delighted when just a couple of weeks into my weight-loss project, when I had cut carbs to <100, I saw a big enough drop that I had to cut my pills in two. Huge! After that I honestly didn't see much change until I got into serious <20 g ketosis, when it went up a little. I was losing weight fast, drinking maybe a little more coffee, and the body was stressed. I didn't worry. Then almost three weeks ago I added magnesium supplements, 200 mg morning and evening, and I'm seeing real low numbers. I've dropped my dosage again. Of course, cause and effect can only be guessed at here, but it would be reasonable to attribute the drop to the magnesium. People use it for that. But I've also just recently had one of those aerobic-capacity breakthroughs -- more endurance, which I *think* I remember reading has to do with the opening up of new networks of capillaries or something -- so maybe it's just due to better fitness. It would be great to get off meds forever or just for a while, even. Most of my family manage the hypertension ok, but the ones who just can't stop smoking or who have the most stubborn weight problems have had some strokes. Brain health is pretty high on my list of priorities.

So that's what I was thinking about. I attribute the improvement to avoiding sugar and fructose and increasing magnesium. Weight loss and improved fitness should have had an impact as well, but it doesn't look like it so much from my log.
That is such GREAT news, Martha! Even though you aren't completely off the medication at this point, your amount of progress is amazing. It must feel really REALLY great!

Do these health improvements help you stay focused on sticking with your plan? I'm sorry to keep asking questions. You don't have to answer. I'm just curious.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onedimsim
Stats: 261/144/139 - 5'7"
WOE: RxHCG
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I truly appreciate your faith in me!!! I hope that I will someday have good reason to have that much faith in myself with regard to food.

But vacation isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing in my life. I go somewhere every year, for a minimum of 3 weeks -- I spent 3 months in Spain and Morocco two years ago. If I spend a month (or more) of my life losing control every year just because I'm in Europe and I have a legitimately good reason to lose control, I honestly believe I'll just be back here on the forum re-losing the bodyfat that I've already worked so hard to lose. And if you add in all of the "special occasions" -- like holidays and weddings and family events where someone has made truly once-in-a-lifetime food -- I'll have a legitimately good reason to lose control every other weekend.

I have a VERY damaged relationship with food. I know that a lot of people on the forum -- maybe *most* of the people on the forum -- gained excess fat due to metabolic issues. But I gained fat because of what's inside my head -- because I don't know when to STOP EATING delicious things once I've loosened the reins. I kind of feel like you guys have only seen my *food angel* and not the *food devil* that always sits on my other shoulder. Since I've been on Atkins -- and the whole time I've been on the forum -- I've had a trainer supporting me five days per week along with daily support from a couple of dozen bodybuilders, so you guys haven't *seen* my out-of-control behavior. But my kind of overindulgence isn't *normal* -- I've actually scared people with the volume of food I've consumed in a single sitting.

I'm back from vacation. And real life means I can get back into a routine where it *should be* easier to stay in control. Hopefully, over time, I can learn to manage my condition without going into a fugue state of overstuffing myself when I'm outside of my controlled environment.

Hiya Trillex!! (is there a "follow" button around here? )

I recently went through a maintenance phase (doing RxHCG) that had several mini-vacations where i ate some of the "no no" foods (breads, tons of breaded calamari, etc.) - but i think the difference is "mindset" - i was in a controlled mindset of "testing the waters" to see what my body could tolerate and to see if "clean" eating upon return would bring me back to my per-vacation weight. The same foods, given a different mindset, are an "out of control" reaction and fall into the category of unplanned eating.

Pizza "testing the waters" = OK for me
Pizza unplanned and definitely out of current diet = Not ok

But yeah...sometimes if you let the horse out of the gate he gets away from you.....i struggle with that as well (esp. sugar)

Journeys with our food relationships...always interesting!!
**P3/P4 - 234 -> 224
RxHCG Round 2 - 4/14/2013, 53 days, 224-> 196, 28 lbs
**P3/P4 - 196 -> 193
RxHCG Round 3 - 7/27/2013, 90+ days , 193 -> 165, 28 lbs
Post Body Contouring R1: 168 -> 154!!!
RxHCG Round 4 - 3/13/14 - WIP - ~42 days planned

Last edited by onedimsim; 08-27-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #2109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is such GREAT news, Martha! Even though you aren't completely off the medication at this point, your amount of progress is amazing. It must feel really REALLY great!

Do these health improvements help you stay focused on sticking with your plan? I'm sorry to keep asking questions. You don't have to answer. I'm just curious.
Thank you! And that's a kind of interesting question. The health improvements have been really numerous and have made me very, very happy. I didn't like the idea of spending decades on meds, having to combine different meds, all that, at least not without a break. And there have been other big changes, too. I had issues that I thought had to do with being post-menopause that pretty much went away, I had a couple of chronic hot spots (bursa, maybe?) in my upper body that no longer hurt, I had a really achy spot at the base of my big toe (where I have a bunion that will sooner or later need attention, I guess) that is not bothering me any more. I'm sleeping reasonably well. My mood is good and sometimes I get really goofy I'm so happy.

But do these things help me stay focused on my plan? I'm not sure. Probably. But I kind of have the type of personality that "locks on" to an idea and then just wears it out. I can't say I've done much to turn that into great career success or anything, but it's kind of my style to decide "this is going to happen" and then it does. I think the reason it happened now is that a rather long period of financial and professional and family upset (that included a really miserably long period of unemployment and no-home-ness) has ended. I have work that is fairly stable, a place to live, and starting September first, health insurance for the first time in about five or six years! It's not easy finding a doctor to write the scripts for the meds if you aren't willing to pay for for the lab tests to cover his butt if something isn't going right. Luckily I don't have to worry about that now. Knock on wood.

I don't mind your asking at all. Motivation is a mysterious thing, isn't it?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2110
Senior LCF Member

One more thing about motivation. The key event for me was not being able to zip my size twelve suit skirt and having to wear some ******** make-do outfit to my dad's best friend's funeral. I just hated it. I had already started what I was calling my "slender by sixty" program, but it wasn't very structured. I wanted to hit my sixties in a better position to have a happy old age. And then I saw so many people at the funeral who looked like hell, and I looked like hell, and my sister looked GREAT, was not mean to me at all about it, and lent me her book called "Younger Next Year for women". I read it on the train coming home and then did what the book said and started reading about all the new thinking in nutrition and weight loss that had come down the pike since I had last thought much about it in the 1980s. A lot, as it turned out.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #2111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
STRAPHE!!! Welcome back from vacation! How are you? How was Transylvania? Have you kept working out? How did things go for your diet and everything while you were away?

Oh, I wasn't on vacation - I'm actually going on vacation next Friday for a week, back home to Transylvania to surprise my parents for their birthday. I don't even know when I stopped coming to this forum, must've been around beginning of June, as that's when I started full time employment, and was still living at my old place, which meant that I had to get up at 6:30 AM and got home well after 8 PM. I was literally dead for a good month and a half, no social life or time to eat/cook for myself.

I've moved into Oxford a bit over a month now, am a short, 20 minute walk away from work, but I still haven't started eating right again, mainly because of the state of our kitchen. The landlord said that he's gonna get the entire kitchen redone by September, so literally none of us are taking care of it, it hasn't been cleaned once since I've been here, and it's just plain disgusting. I know, I should clean it, and I have, a bit, just so I can fry up some chicken, but I literally have no appetite after cooking in that hole.

Basically, I came off Atkins on purpose around the beginning of June to prove my uncle wrong. He said that doing diets is stupid and that if I just went to the gym two, three times a week, I'd be exactly where I was if I was doing the diet and not exercising. Bless him, he means well, but he's very ignorant. So yeah, I have been off plan since the end of May, really. I've been slowly gaining back the weight I've lost, but I'm worrying too much about that - I've gained less than 10 pounds over three months when it took me less than a month to lose that. I know, I know, I shouldn't yoyo with my weight, and I don't want to, I'm not stupid enough to think that I can just gain 20 pounds and shed it in a month like I did in January. It's not something to toy with.

I've also been a bad boy when it comes to exercise - I've been going to the gym quite sporadically these past few weeks, so that's not the best either, really. It just makes it hard when it's 28-30°C... But I'm quite pleased that I can actually see some results, however small they are - my arm has some definition to it now, and my chest looks like a chest (having manboobs at the age of 20 isn't fun at all), so there's that.

The plan right now, in layman's terms, is to get my **** together. Probably not until I get back from holiday or our kitchen gets redone. Whichever comes first. But I know that I loved the way I was feeling when I was on Atkins, and my relationship with food was much healthier, so this definitely is the right eating plan for me.

I've recently done a graph of my weightloss (and gain), hoping that seeing the curve go upwards might motivate me to make it go downwards - here it is for anyone interested (can't seem to make it smaller, so only link).

http://i.imgur.com/FbhtJ0r.jpg

So yeah, that's the plan for now. I definitely want to get down to 190ish. Or just lose the belly. Not sure yet. Sorry about ranting, felt good to write this all down.

Keep up the good work everyone - you really do motivate me.

Last edited by straphe; 08-28-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #2112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedimsim View Post
Hiya Trillex!! (is there a "follow" button around here? )

I recently went through a maintenance phase (doing RxHCG) that had several mini-vacations where i ate some of the "no no" foods (breads, tons of breaded calamari, etc.) - but i think the difference is "mindset" - i was in a controlled mindset of "testing the waters" to see what my body could tolerate and to see if "clean" eating upon return would bring me back to my per-vacation weight. The same foods, given a different mindset, are an "out of control" reaction and fall into the category of unplanned eating.

Pizza "testing the waters" = OK for me
Pizza unplanned and definitely out of current diet = Not ok

But yeah...sometimes if you let the horse out of the gate he gets away from you.....i struggle with that as well (esp. sugar)

Journeys with our food relationships...always interesting!!
Hi, Melanie!

I feel the same way. Going back to my overeating pattern was emotionally devastating because it fell into the "NOT OK" category. It's not about how much I weigh, really, but about how *healthy* I am. And extreme eating isn't healthy.

But it was genuinely a learning experience for me. In a way, I'm happy that I had the experience in a place and time that was foreign to my everyday life, so I was able to stop before I did any more damage to myself. And I'm happy that I'm now aware of the danger, so that I now have a chance to address the reasons behind my compulsive eating. I honestly believe I have a better chance at maintenance as a result of having this lapse in behavior *before* I reached the maintenance stage.

You're so right, it's a journey!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #2113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Thank you! And that's a kind of interesting question. The health improvements have been really numerous and have made me very, very happy. I didn't like the idea of spending decades on meds, having to combine different meds, all that, at least not without a break. And there have been other big changes, too. I had issues that I thought had to do with being post-menopause that pretty much went away, I had a couple of chronic hot spots (bursa, maybe?) in my upper body that no longer hurt, I had a really achy spot at the base of my big toe (where I have a bunion that will sooner or later need attention, I guess) that is not bothering me any more. I'm sleeping reasonably well. My mood is good and sometimes I get really goofy I'm so happy.

But do these things help me stay focused on my plan? I'm not sure. Probably. But I kind of have the type of personality that "locks on" to an idea and then just wears it out. I can't say I've done much to turn that into great career success or anything, but it's kind of my style to decide "this is going to happen" and then it does. I think the reason it happened now is that a rather long period of financial and professional and family upset (that included a really miserably long period of unemployment and no-home-ness) has ended. I have work that is fairly stable, a place to live, and starting September first, health insurance for the first time in about five or six years! It's not easy finding a doctor to write the scripts for the meds if you aren't willing to pay for for the lab tests to cover his butt if something isn't going right. Luckily I don't have to worry about that now. Knock on wood.

I don't mind your asking at all. Motivation is a mysterious thing, isn't it?
Wow, Martha, "goofy happy" is an amazingly great side effect! Especially after all you went through in the past few years. I'm not sure if *most people* could have taken control of the situation as well as you have. So I truly admire your strength.

I *think* I can relate to the feeling of absolute elation, because I feel that way after heavy workouts. I just feel so GOOD that I sometimes shout out loud! In Michigan, I work out in a facility with bodybuilders so nobody thinks it's weird when I drop the weights and hoot with joy. But I've been training in a commercial gym here in Chicago and I look like a total nut -- but I don't care! Because I feel AMAZING!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #2114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post

Oh, I wasn't on vacation - I'm actually going on vacation next Friday for a week, back home to Transylvania to surprise my parents for their birthday. I don't even know when I stopped coming to this forum, must've been around beginning of June, as that's when I started full time employment, and was still living at my old place, which meant that I had to get up at 6:30 AM and got home well after 8 PM. I was literally dead for a good month and a half, no social life or time to eat/cook for myself.

I've moved into Oxford a bit over a month now, am a short, 20 minute walk away from work, but I still haven't started eating right again, mainly because of the state of our kitchen. The landlord said that he's gonna get the entire kitchen redone by September, so literally none of us are taking care of it, it hasn't been cleaned once since I've been here, and it's just plain disgusting. I know, I should clean it, and I have, a bit, just so I can fry up some chicken, but I literally have no appetite after cooking in that hole.

Basically, I came off Atkins on purpose around the beginning of June to prove my uncle wrong. He said that doing diets is stupid and that if I just went to the gym two, three times a week, I'd be exactly where I was if I was doing the diet and not exercising. Bless him, he means well, but he's very ignorant. So yeah, I have been off plan since the end of May, really. I've been slowly gaining back the weight I've lost, but I'm worrying too much about that - I've gained less than 10 pounds over three months when it took me less than a month to lose that. I know, I know, I shouldn't yoyo with my weight, and I don't want to, I'm not stupid enough to think that I can just gain 20 pounds and shed it in a month like I did in January. It's not something to toy with.

I've also been a bad boy when it comes to exercise - I've been going to the gym quite sporadically these past few weeks, so that's not the best either, really. It just makes it hard when it's 28-30°C... But I'm quite pleased that I can actually see some results, however small they are - my arm has some definition to it now, and my chest looks like a chest (having manboobs at the age of 20 isn't fun at all), so there's that.

The plan right now, in layman's terms, is to get my **** together. Probably not until I get back from holiday or our kitchen gets redone. Whichever comes first. But I know that I loved the way I was feeling when I was on Atkins, and my relationship with food was much healthier, so this definitely is the right eating plan for me.

I've recently done a graph of my weightloss (and gain), hoping that seeing the curve go upwards might motivate me to make it go downwards - here it is for anyone interested (can't seem to make it smaller, so only link).

http://i.imgur.com/FbhtJ0r.jpg

So yeah, that's the plan for now. I definitely want to get down to 190ish. Or just lose the belly. Not sure yet. Sorry about ranting, felt good to write this all down.

Keep up the good work everyone - you really do motivate me.
I'm happy to see you back on the forum, Straphe! This is not a rant. It's good to hear about your journey and I'm looking forward to watching your progress line go down again!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #2115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyndalou52
Stats: 198/180./155
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Neezie: Thanks for forming this thread. I am re-starting Atkins--I did it about 10 yrs. ago and did great- lost 90lbs. But life got in the way and I got off track and so here I am willing to start over--it's just been so long. I got the NEW Atkins book and cookbook. This group sounds fantastic just what I need. Thank you letting me join you gals & guys.
Lynda
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #2116
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back Lyndalou.

I was just dropping in to make two comments -- one, that the 16-hour fast is looking to me like a possible transition/maintenance technique, because for the keto-adapted, it's kind of easy, to begin with, and it also takes away all the decision-making for a good bit of the day. We'll see, I'm trying it as I add another five carbs for 28. Not sure I'm going to want to go higher than that for a while, we'll see.

And the other comment was -- Huh. Now that all that fat is going, I'm thinking I could use a little lean muscle mass. That's what you call it, right?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Niki
Stats: 199/189/120
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 8/26/13
hi, i started low carbing on monday, 1st 2 days i lost 1 1/2lb a day which was awesome! next 2 days my scale hasnt budged but its ok im not freakin out about it, i have been completely constipated i guess from a lack of fiber so should i be taking supplements? or is there something else i should try?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #2118
Junior LCF Member

I just want to its my 3rd day restarting and doing well. I have been reading your posts and
I feel so encouraged. I do have a headache the last couple of days-I know the book said I could. I am determined to do this and I know it will work. Been reviewing recipe ideas so I won't get bored. My starting weight is 194.5 and I want to get down to around 150 One baby step at a time. I just had my 61st birthday and am taking care of my husband at home after complete knee replacement- his 2nd in 4 months. He is a very big guy and I am trying to impress- as the Dr.'s are- he has to lose weight. He is 8 yrss older so I know this is hard. I don't want this to happen to me. I had a knee replacement 2 yrs ago due in an accident .So I have thrown all the snack & chips out. Cutting up veggies and boiling eggs. Sorry I am rambling, I just wanted to let you all know how your posts really help. Trillex thanks for the link to keep track of weight
Lynda

Last edited by Lyndalou52; 08-30-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #2119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
hi, i started low carbing on monday, 1st 2 days i lost 1 1/2lb a day which was awesome! next 2 days my scale hasnt budged but its ok im not freakin out about it, i have been completely constipated i guess from a lack of fiber so should i be taking supplements? or is there something else i should try?
Hi Niki - yes, you need to take some supplements. Flaxseed did the trick for me, I just added some to my morning coffee/tea, and it worked like a charm. Coconut oil also helps, but it can have a very laxative effect to those not used to it, so start off with just a small amount. And don't forget to take some vitamin supplements as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #2120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Niki, I've also found that taking magnesium every day helps to keep me "regular".
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #2121
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Lyndalou52. Want to say your husband can lose weight on this diet. I lost 50 pounds with virtually no exercise. I didn't exercise because people said I was fat because I was lazy so I wanted to prove them wrong. So, just to spite everyone I didn't exercise. So your husband can do this program and be successful even though he had knee replacement. No excuses, get him going on it. I know several people of his age at my church that have had success on this program. So age isn't a deterrent either.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #2122
Junior LCF Member

Dear Stevie
Thank you so much for the encouragement I am going to read this to my husband it will give him NO EXCUSES. Good to hear from a guys point of view.
I'm cooking so he really won't have much choice--lol only kidding I will have to get him to try it or he will not eat what I fix. Congrats on your weight loss Great job. How long did it take you ???
Lynda
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #2123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndalou52 View Post
Dear Stevie
I'm cooking so he really won't have much choice-
Lynda
Yeah since he has a knee replacement he also can't run very far. I have nursed a couple people back from knee replacements and it is hard work not only on the patient but the caregiver as well.

I basically lost about 8 pounds a month on average. Since beginning exercise, I have seen no increase in weight loss. My weight loss hasn't been linear. I have had big drops and then nothing for many days and on a few occasions weeks.

I would say don't worry about the progress, just focus on the carbs. Keep them below 20. Keep your fats up and drink lots of water. 1 ounce for each 2 pound of body weight up to a gallon of water a day (so if you are 200 pounds drink 100 ounces per day).

Next, go on one of the on-line menu tracking sites and put in your menus. They will tell you the percentages of fat, protein and carbs you are taking in. You should be somewhere around 60-65 fat, 30-35 protein, and 5% carbs. Once you have done this with the menus you are eating now, share the menus here and we can help you make some changes to adjust your percentages. Most people end up short on the fat in the beginning.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #2124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Straphe's suggestions are right.

Yes, Flax seed works wonders. I eat 1 minute muffins for breakfast several days a week. You may have a hard time finding the flax seed, not all stores have it. I buy mine at Trader Joes or you can order on line through this site. Here is a thread that tells all about the one minute muffins One Minute Muffins- I'm totally sold!

Also coconut oil works for constipation and it is also a fat that keeps you full for a long time. Many people put it in their morning coffee. But you can also just cook with it, or like me, just take a spoon full each morning.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 08-31-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #2125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
My weight loss hasn't been linear. I have had big drops and then nothing for many days and on a few occasions weeks.

I would say don't worry about the progress, just focus on the carbs. Keep them below 20. Keep your fats up and drink lots of water. 1 ounce for each 2 pound of body weight up to a gallon of water a day (so if you are 200 pounds drink 100 ounces per day).

Next, go on one of the on-line menu tracking sites and put in your menus. They will tell you the percentages of fat, protein and carbs you are taking in. You should be somewhere around 60-65 fat, 30-35 protein, and 5% carbs.
I say, "Listen to Stevie." I am very short, and lost almost five pounds a month for six months, which was by far the best I had ever done. It was not linear for me, either, but if you are keeping track you don't have to worry about that. The work you put in will pay off. I used online menu tracking, too, and counted calories, though many people don't. I think the tracking was key for me. I exercised all along, mostly just long walks and three or four strength exercises every other night or so. I found that I had to work harder as time went on to maintain the pace of loss, but I didn't really have much trouble doing that. Once I started following Atkins instructions I was no longer grumpy or hungry, but boy I was a meanie there before I got it figured out. My percentages were a little different from Stevie's -- I ran about 11% carb (total), 22% protein, 66% fat, sometimes as much as 70%. But same ballpark. Good luck. Oh, and no fooling about the water. And the salt.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #2126
Senior LCF Member

I should share that I only tracked for the first couple of weeks until I got things figured out. I don't really use the on-line trackers anymore. But many people continue to do so. I am not against it, it just isn't in my personality. When I have periods of not losing, I go back to the online trackers just to ensure I am still doing all the right stuff.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #2127
Senior LCF Member

Okay, dirty kitchen be damned, I'm going back on Atkins right now - I had difficulty tying my shoelaces just now because of my belly, something I haven't had experienced since January. Gonna stock up on supplies tomorrow. It's gonna be a bit trickier in the mornings this time, as I've grown incredibly bored of eggs.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #2128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Straphe, you don't have to eat eggs for breakfast. I never do. Have leftovers from the night before, or just bacon, or some sausage, or anything you want. Don't feel like you're stuck with eggs for breakfast, there's so many other options.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #2129
Senior LCF Member

Back in the day I was a cereal-guy, and I thought I couldn't go a day without having cereal for breakfast, and yet here I am, nine months later, not having had any since January. Then I discovered my signature Atkins-type breakfast: eggs, bacon, half an avocado with lime and some cherry tomatoes. I had this every morning for months on end, and now eggs have begun to disgust me. I don't like reheated meat, it just doesn't taste the same, and cooking chicken or something is just too heavy on my stomach in the mornings.

I might try having some pepperoni or cold cuts for breakfast with some cheese and spring onions, maybe a poached egg if I feel up for it. That might do it. Have to try it, I guess.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #2130
Senior LCF Member

I don't like eggs either. I eat meat or one minute muffins. I have been doing a lot of 1 minute muffins lately. They are quick and easy and keep me full for a long time.

As far as meat goes, my approach is that I cook a big piece on the weekend and then use it throughout the week. Something like pork shoulder, ham or pot roast usually. I make it fairly plain with just salt and pepper, then when I am ready to use it a spice it and/or sauce it. For example, pot roast mixed with scrambled eggs and Mexican salsa for breakfast. Pot roast fried up with garlic and lime to on put on top of a salad for lunch; and pot roast with a low carb BBQ sauce for dinner. Even though I am eating the same meat for several days, I make it different enough each time to keep it interesting.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 09-01-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Closed Thread