Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #2041
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Trill--the way the body works is becoming more and more interesting as I go through this site and read. I started Atkins once, lost about 25, rewarded myself with carbs, and gained it back plus 20 more. This time, it's so much easier. I still have harder days than others, but it's so much easier. I really DO feel committed to it as a WOE instead of a means to an end.

I called the doc. I have an appointment scheduled for September 12th..Its a ways away, but I know that later is better than never. I don't test my blood glucose--never have outside of labwork for the doc when I was contemplating WLS three years ago. I was more near the diabetic side than the normal side, but I wasn't considered "borderline" yet. As I'm aging, I'm finding that things can get wonky quickly. I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my knees from all of those tumbles in 4th grade! But, most days it goes away after I'm up and moving a little while.

Hubs COULD put me on his insurance, but it would be an EXTRA 110 a month. I've always just said that we should keep that money to live with because I'm fine..but maybe I'm not so fine, after all. We've just managed this long without me being on insurance that it didn't seem necessary. Before this round of labwork, he's going to put me on it though..because I know the lab work will be upwards of 600 without insurance.

That article was extremely interesting, btw. I'll have a new doctor because mine left on a mission trip to nicaraugua and just never came back. Hopefully he's slightly more receptive to my WOE than Margaret was.

[[ "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." --Ralph Waldo Emerson]]

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #2042
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Hello, everybody. I've just been reading everybody's posts since about a week ago and catching up on who's new and what's happening. I took six days to travel, visit family, make my first appearance as a dancer in about 25 years, and help out a friend recovering from surgery. She has a small farm/big garden with fruit trees, chickens, berries, and all kinds of flowers and vegetables. I packed some on-plan rations and bought a few ready-to-eats from the grocery store, but pretty much managed to stay on a somewhat liberalized version of my WOE. I had one spoonful of a dish that contained sugar and flour, but it was very special -- a family recipe that my mother used to make for my birthday each year out of fresh wild blackberries -- and it was prepared by a family member and served at the reunion. So I had a bite. Then I had one more swallow of something off-plan that was just a boo-boo. I had been asked to make the tea, made one version sweetened and one not, then got mixed up and started to drink the wrong one. I seem to have come home just a hair lighter and a bit smaller in the hips and waist. I didn't binge at all, I wasn't miserable, I enjoyed my food, and I only got up once in the night feeling like I needed to eat. And when that happened I had a nice slice of roast pork. So my anxiety was not necessary and I don't think I wound up "liberalizing" nearly as much as I was ready to, if necessary.

And since I am three or four pounds from my goal I decided to wrap up the food diary and records that I have been keeping online and see about starting a different accounting method -- one that will keep me pretty well informed and aware but maybe be a little less time consuming and demand less attention? I have a tendency to obsess and would like to have the best of both worlds. So I'm continuing the daily weighing and not really loosening up much on the foods I'm eating (though I'm thinking topping out somewhere approaching 30 net carbs a day rather than the 20 I'd been doing lately.)

I'm looking at some new tracking/fitness/recipe software and just pondering all this. I picked this WOE because it seemed to take maintenance more seriously than most, so I'm re-reading those parts of the books. Don't feel any desire to add back grains at all though, other than as needed in small doses for specific dishes. Beans I am already adding back into soups in modest quantities. And I'm probably eating twice as much fruit as I was two weeks ago, but that only amounts to about 16 to 24 blackberries a day or something like that. I helped harvest fresh figs in Virginia, so I did eat about three or four of those while I was there, small warm ripe ones, right off the tree. But no cravings or weirdness or out of control eating came of it.

Feel pretty good.

Last edited by martha; 08-15-2013 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #2043
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
Thanks, Trillex. :-)

Also--I've been doing precisely by the book eating lately, and I've been having painful numbness in my right hand again randomly in the morning. Before I started Induction, I had read that numbness in the appendages was a sign of diabetes (it was actually one of my most motivating factors to start this WOE) and when it subsided by doing LC, I thought that I had nipped it in the bud. Now, my carbs are controlled, my weight is continuing to go down, and I haven't had any mishaps..but my hand is going numb randomly again. I've also been getting dizzy if I stand up too fast. What's with THAT? I've never had dizziness in my entire life!

Sigh. I should probably suck it up and go to a doctor, I think.
I think I saw in another post that you had decided to go, so you will have gotten a considerably better-informed opinion than mine already, most likely. But for what it's worth, I had to cut back my blood pressure meds just a week or so into this WOE, I suppose because of the cutback in sugar, though I don't know. The weight loss itself doesn't seem to have had much effect, as far as I can tell. (BP came down before weight loss became significant.) Also, I remember having a day or two of numbness and wondered what that was about, but it went away. Now, I have a history of neurological hiccups, nothing too serious yet, so it could have been unrelated to diet. Don't know.

Good luck figuring it out.

Martha
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #2044
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

And martha, please let me know how the magnesium helps. I'm wondering if I need to up my supplements, too.
GL, I am sticking with the magnesium because the occasional mild cramps in my feet and calves went away with the pills, I *think*. You know, it's so easy to be wrong about what is really causing what. But I read up on it, and there seemed to be a lot of agreement and not any risk to speak of. So, being small, I cut the recommended dose down a bit and will continue with it until I hear or experience something different.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #2045
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Hello, everybody. I've just been reading everybody's posts since about a week ago and catching up on who's new and what's happening. I took six days to travel, visit family, make my first appearance as a dancer in about 25 years, and help out a friend recovering from surgery. She has a small farm/big garden with fruit trees, chickens, berries, and all kinds of flowers and vegetables. I packed some on-plan rations and bought a few ready-to-eats from the grocery store, but pretty much managed to stay on a somewhat liberalized version of my WOE. I had one spoonful of a dish that contained sugar and flour, but it was very special -- a family recipe that my mother used to make for my birthday each year out of fresh wild blackberries -- and it was prepared by a family member and served at the reunion. So I had a bite. Then I had one more swallow of something off-plan that was just a boo-boo. I had been asked to make the tea, made one version sweetened and one not, then got mixed up and started to drink the wrong one. I seem to have come home just a hair lighter and a bit smaller in the hips and waist. I didn't binge at all, I wasn't miserable, I enjoyed my food, and I only got up once in the night feeling like I needed to eat. And when that happened I had a nice slice of roast pork. So my anxiety was not necessary and I don't think I wound up "liberalizing" nearly as much as I was ready to, if necessary.

And since I am three or four pounds from my goal I decided to wrap up the food diary and records that I have been keeping online and see about starting a different accounting method -- one that will keep me pretty well informed and aware but maybe be a little less time consuming and demand less attention? I have a tendency to obsess and would like to have the best of both worlds. So I'm continuing the daily weighing and not really loosening up much on the foods I'm eating (though I'm thinking topping out somewhere approaching 30 net carbs a day rather than the 20 I'd been doing lately.)

I'm looking at some new tracking/fitness/recipe software and just pondering all this. I picked this WOE because it seemed to take maintenance more seriously than most, so I'm re-reading those parts of the books. Don't feel any desire to add back grains at all though, other than as needed in small doses for specific dishes. Beans I am already adding back into soups in modest quantities. And I'm probably eating twice as much fruit as I was two weeks ago, but that only amounts to about 16 to 24 blackberries a day or something like that. I helped harvest fresh figs in Virginia, so I did eat about three or four of those while I was there, small warm ripe ones, right off the tree. But no cravings or weirdness or out of control eating came of it.

Feel pretty good.
That sounds like a GREAT vacation, Martha! Welcome back!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #2046
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I called the doc. I have an appointment scheduled for September 12th..Its a ways away, but I know that later is better than never. I don't test my blood glucose--never have outside of labwork for the doc when I was contemplating WLS three years ago. I was more near the diabetic side than the normal side, but I wasn't considered "borderline" yet. As I'm aging, I'm finding that things can get wonky quickly. I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my knees from all of those tumbles in 4th grade! But, most days it goes away after I'm up and moving a little while.
I think "later" is definitely better than "never" so I'm glad you're able to get the healthcare you need. And I'm glad you aren't suffering the weird numbness situation on a regular basis.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #2047
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back, Martha. Congratulations on your dance return. :-)

I haven't started any magnesium or potassium--mainly because I haven't gotten to the store. I have coupons for Walgreens, but I have to travel to the top of the city to get there.

I have a doctors appointment on the 12 of September, and then I'll learn more. I used to get numbness in my hands before I started LC. It got pretty frequent and really freaked me out, so I researched online, and I learned that diabetics sometimes suffer from the same type of numbness, so it was a deciding factor that I needed to kick sugar in the bud. Since starting LC in March, I haven't had many episodes of numbness, but randomly every couple of weeks or so I'll get a weird day where it happens. I track all my food, and I'm not finding anything different as far as food choices or macro ratios go..so I'm not sure.

The dizzy spells are brand new, and never happened before..EVER. Buuuttt, I'm recalling a time we were driving through a mountain area and one of my ears popped. Maybe something happened in my inner ear that's throwing off my balance? I'm not sure.. Stay tuned!

Congrats again on your dance debut!

Trillex--at the risk of sounding entirely weird--I'd just like to let you know you're sort of my low-carb guru. It's helpful to see someone who's been successful but remains open about the daily struggle and the importance of being educated on the matter.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2048
Senior LCF Member

PS -- As it turns out, I didn't like the day I tried to go without tracking. It felt weird. Too soon. The thing I like about tracking is that I don't worry about anything because I **know** I'm keeping it between the lines. So I don't wanna stop, I don't stop.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2049
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
PS -- As it turns out, I didn't like the day I tried to go without tracking. It felt weird. Too soon. The thing I like about tracking is that I don't worry about anything because I **know** I'm keeping it between the lines. So I don't wanna stop, I don't stop.
I'm like that, too! I just like *knowing* what my food intake actually is.

My trainer had me weigh, measure and track my food for an entire month before I started Atkins. Oh, boy, it was shocking! I *knew* that I was eating a lot but I honestly had no idea how much it actually was. I'm not yet at maintenance but I feel like tracking will be as important to me during maintenance as it has been while I'm actively working to lose fat.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #2050
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trillex--at the risk of sounding entirely weird--I'd just like to let you know you're sort of my low-carb guru. It's helpful to see someone who's been successful but remains open about the daily struggle and the importance of being educated on the matter.
HaHa! I wish I were actually QUALIFIED to be a guru. I'm just happy to be here supporting you in whatever way I can!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #2051
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Hi group, I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around much, lots going on, not exactly at induction anymore. I'm trying out organic paleo. I'm going to do the Whole30 on the 1st of Sept. So I've added more veggies and low GI fruit (moderately) plus removed all dairy. I lost 1lb this week but I feel better than 1lb. Also, I asked my Dr if I could start taking Metformin. My fasting insulin, after low carbing for 3 months, was still on the high side of normal. I think that might be why it takes me so long to lose a single pound, even running in the evenings and staying at induction level carbs. So that 1lb is either from the medication or the change in diet. I guess time will tell?

I love your new picture Trillex! You look FABULOUS =)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2052
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm like that, too! I just like *knowing* what my food intake actually is.

...I'm not yet at maintenance but I feel like tracking will be as important to me during maintenance as it has been while I'm actively working to lose fat.
Well, I'm finding my way, but at this point it is easier to keep with what is working than to make a lot of changes at one time. Inch by inch. I also realized that eating too much Greek yogurt is not such a good idea. I think that's what wound up not feeling right, and bringing on the hungries.

I have started having a quarter cup some mornings, but it wound up being my emergency "out" food when it took me longer to get done and get home than expected, and I think I will be a little more careful next time. Inch by inch.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #2053
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Hi group, I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around much, lots going on, not exactly at induction anymore. I'm trying out organic paleo. I'm going to do the Whole30 on the 1st of Sept. So I've added more veggies and low GI fruit (moderately) plus removed all dairy. I lost 1lb this week but I feel better than 1lb. Also, I asked my Dr if I could start taking Metformin. My fasting insulin, after low carbing for 3 months, was still on the high side of normal. I think that might be why it takes me so long to lose a single pound, even running in the evenings and staying at induction level carbs. So that 1lb is either from the medication or the change in diet. I guess time will tell?
Hey, girl! I'm glad you're doing well and taking care of yourself!

It seems to me that you were already halfway to paleo when you switched to organic eating a few months ago. And it seems like full paleo will give you more food options, which will be good since you didn't *love* some of the free-range and organic meat options.

I hope it works well for you! Keep us posted! HUGS!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #2054
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I'm finding my way, but at this point it is easier to keep with what is working than to make a lot of changes at one time. Inch by inch. I also realized that eating too much Greek yogurt is not such a good idea. I think that's what wound up not feeling right, and bringing on the hungries.

I have started having a quarter cup some mornings, but it wound up being my emergency "out" food when it took me longer to get done and get home than expected, and I think I will be a little more careful next time. Inch by inch.
I truly believe that "inch by inch" pays off. I guess it depends on the person, though. Some people might not be able to stick with a plan unless they constantly see dramatic results. But I'm the kind of person who needs a lifestyle change in order to be genuinely healthy, and that type of change takes time to adjust to. So I think inch by inch is the best path toward my goal of a long-term, healthy lifestyle.

I re-integrated Greek yogurt into my diet earlier this summer when I got to the "fresh cheeses" rung of the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder. But I've just used it to make sauces, I haven't actually eaten a plain yogurt as a meal. So I haven't had any problems with adding yogurt back into my diet but, whenever I've had yogurt, it has been part of a dish that has meat and veggies in it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #2055
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I have tried a tube of the plain Greek Yogurt as a snack over the past month. I liked the texture, kinda like ice cream. For me, I am not buying it again. I found myself eating too much of it at a time. It is an extra I can live without. It didn't fill me up enough to become a meal replacement.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #2056
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I re-integrated Greek yogurt into my diet earlier this summer when I got to the "fresh cheeses" rung of the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder. But I've just used it to make sauces, I haven't actually eaten a plain yogurt as a meal. So I haven't had any problems with adding yogurt back into my diet but, whenever I've had yogurt, it has been part of a dish that has meat and veggies in it.
Ah, so you are going "by the book," as well. I am trying to, though I did kind of back into induction and never entirely quit all the things they listed. I figured since I had lost down to the pre-maintenance point eating them, I didn't really have to "test" them again. I was wrong about the yogurt, I think. Just guessing.

But I wanted to say a big "yes" to the yogurt in recipes, because I have been making soups and broths with lots of hearty, bitter greens -- collards this week -- along with chicken, mushrooms, and the basic celery/carrot/onion combo, and adding a quarter cup of plain old yogurt really kicks it over into something special.

Funny that even though I planned to eat more carbs and swore I was going to start, I haven't really. One day at 30 net, the rest mostly high teens and low twenties. Not sure what I did on my vacation, but was careful, and my sweet friends who took me out for a fancy lunch made sure we went someplace I could get the right kind of food -- and never made me the least bit self-conscious about it. She brought me clothes from her closet, too, which is huge, because I can't just go out and buy.

I did spring for one pair of twenty-dollar stretch pants when I got back to New York, and hemmed them yesterday, so I suppose I will have to cruise around a little bit this week in my new bod, haircut, etc. I may be in full sight of sixty, but there's a strut in the old girl yet.

Want to add my voice to others that your (Trillex's) writing is a big help. Informed and sensible, not to mention kind and friendly.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #2057
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I have tried a tube of the plain Greek Yogurt as a snack over the past month. I liked the texture, kinda like ice cream. For me, I am not buying it again. I found myself eating too much of it at a time. It is an extra I can live without. It didn't fill me up enough to become a meal replacement.
I got the "caution" sign, too. I guess it's the milk sugars. I'm dialing it back to the level that worked before, which was less than a cup, and that as part of one of my all-afternoon hikes. I don't think repeating it the next day is such a great idea, either. Going to try some other veggies, though, on my salad, that I haven't had in a good while.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #2058
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: StilettoMommy
Stats: 205/205/140
WOE: Low Carb-Induction
Start Date: March 2014
I posted this in the wrong thread. Forgive me I'm new here.

I started Induction on August 15, I've lost 7 pounds as of this morning. I do realize this is all water weight but my question to those that have been doing it awhile, will these pounds come back? I've never lost this much this quickly. Thanks, hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #2059
Senior LCF Member

Perhaps luckily, for me, greek yogurt is terrible to my taste buds. I'm finding things that didn't use to stall me seem to be keeping my weight more stable instead of helping it go down. It may be an increase in my exercise, too, even though it's "not much" at best.. But if I opt for kale chips instead of hard boiled eggs, my weight stays in the same place much longer than it would have before. Experimentation is certainly necessary for me. And I'm a tracker, too. Every single bite.

I have to be careful though--because I can burn out on food. So even when I find some things that work and work and work--I get bored with them and have cravings for something new. That something new doesn't necessarily have to be anything off the list, but i'm frequently drawn to "quick and easy" when I'm on the go. (I've added in nuts here and there for this reason). I try and prepare things for a least a couple days at a time--but three days in, and I don't want chicken roll-ups anymore. Then, I'll want something "new" and I'll add in something like kale chips, or a few cherry tomatoes with sour cream to dip, and then I gain for a few days. It's all so very strange. Tomatoes are a no go for me, at this point.

While I can't say that artificial sweeteners "stalled" me, I can definitely attest that they slow my weight loss. When I stopped using them in my coffee in the morning I dropped 2 pounds immediately. So, I'm avoiding them, as well.

I'm not ready to give up Induction because I think it's the most effective and I want to keep up until I reach my 100 pound goal. When I get to the last 30-50 pounds, maybe I'll reevaluate. But I do often wonder what my "maintenance" will look like. I think adding carbs in slowly will require much more mindfulness than just staying under 20 does.

But, as you so very thoughtfully put it, Martha.."Inch by inch." :-)

I've given myself a non-food reward goal recently, too. It used to be a variation of, "when I lose x pounds, I'll get an icecream cone" or something similiar. Those days are gone for now. :-) When I hit 225, I'm going to buy a sewing machine, so I can alter all of my adorable clothes, instead of trying to find money to buy new ones. :-) Crafting has always been something that keeps me balanced, so I'm thinking that picking up a new hobby will be fun and advantageous.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #2060
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

My "monthly progress" updates haven't been "monthly" all summer. But I think you guys know that my heart is in the right place, and that I'm trying my best to be honest with myself and with you guys about my fitness progress. Today was the start of a new week and it was my first weigh-in and measurements since my return from vacation. Here are the results:

Monthly Weight History
11 May 2012: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December: 181.5 pounds
31 January: 172.5 pounds
28 February: 167 pounds
31 March: 159.5 pounds
30 April: 156 pounds
11 May 2013: 152 pounds
31 May: 149.5 pounds
8 July: 141.5 pounds
19 August (today): 141.0 pounds

Scale loss to date: 94 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May 2012 To Today
Ankles: Left -1.75", Right -1.50"
Calves: Left -4.75", Right -4.50"
Thighs: Left -6.00", Right -7.00"
Hips: -10.25"
Waist: -10.00"
Upper Arms: Left -3.50", Right -3.50"
Wrists: Left -0.75", Right -1.00"

I don't know what I weighed when I returned from vacation so I can't honestly say what my excessive-compulsive overeating did in the short-term with regard to my scale weight and/or measurements. But clearly, overall, I didn't gain weight as a result of stuffing (overstuffing) myself. Nor did I lose weight during this period -- well, 0.5 scale pounds. I somehow lost an additional inch from my waist measurement since I was last measured...? To be perfectly honest with you, I have no idea what that's about.

To me, the problem I have with my losing control and stuffing myself while on vacation isn't necessarily about *weight gain* but rather about my desire to have a *healthier* and more reasonable relationship with food. I have a long way to go before I'll be normal in that regard -- if I ever *can* be normal.

Here is a photo of me rockin' a knockoff Higuain jersey that I bought on the streets of Napoli!

I'm trying to show you guys my thigh "cuts" -- HaHa! -- just to show you how GRATEFUL I am for all of the lunges and squats and deadlifts (and torture) that my trainers had me do. I'm so far beyond grateful -- I'm actually a bit teary about it right now -- because my trainers and my brothers and all of these guys told me that I would look in the mirror one day and see strength. But I don't think I really believed them until -- one day -- I looked in the mirror and I saw strength. I'm not just *smaller* than I used to be. I'm stronger than I used to be!

With regard to food, I'm working my way up the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder but I'm currently paused on the "nuts and seeds" rung, where I'll stay until I'm back at my home in Michigan. I didn't want to add any new foods while traveling and while visiting my family in Chicago. So -- except for my festival of Napoletano olive oil and anchovies -- I've had, pretty much, the same diet profile for the past couple of months.

I did introduce Quest bars into my eating plan when I left for vacation, to have them in my purse for situations when no other food was available. And I'm glad I had them with me because there were times when I spent the day running around with Napoletani and we honestly didn't go anyplace that had *real* food -- other than pastries or chips or pizza in lounges and cafes and bars. Seriously, there were days when I didn't get to a restaurant that served normal meat and veggies until after 8 or 9PM. And if I hadn't had a Quest bar with me after we climbed back down from the hot-ash, direct-sun abuse of Vesuvius, I would had about 15 cocktails to recover! I'm kidding... But I'm kind of NOT kidding...

Now that I'm back in a settled environment in which I can cook real food, I don't feel the need to eat Quest bars very often, especially not a whole Quest bar. But I'm glad I discovered these bars because they're kind of nice for times when I'm not hungry enough to have an entire meal but I'm hungry enough to need *something*. I read another thread on the forum about cutting the bars up and freezing the pieces, which I've done, so I can just grab a piece or two out of the freezer. That was a really great option for me, for example, when I returned from the gym today because I would *normally* have made something like catfish and salad even though I really wasn't hungry enough for a whole meal like that. And it's hot and humid here today, so I really didn't feel like eating anything hot or heavy or meaty.

I guess that's all for this *monthly* progress update! Cheers, all!
Tril
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #2061
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I did spring for one pair of twenty-dollar stretch pants when I got back to New York, and hemmed them yesterday, so I suppose I will have to cruise around a little bit this week in my new bod, haircut, etc. I may be in full sight of sixty, but there's a strut in the old girl yet.
You'd better SHAKE IT, sister!

Tina Turner hasn't seen our side of sixty since I was still young and blonde... But she is still more gorgeous than any of the current pop stars. And she just married a DELICIOUS young French (or maybe Swiss?) guy. Because Tina Turner never stopped shaking it!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #2062
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have to be careful though--because I can burn out on food. So even when I find some things that work and work and work--I get bored with them and have cravings for something new.
I tend to burn out, too. So I *try* to get a different meat option and a different veggie option for each meal of the week. I'll have some repeats over the course of the week, but I usually have at least a couple of days without repeating the same meat and/or veggie.

It's a bit more expensive because I shop at the fish and meat counter -- you know, where they're on ice behind the glass -- so I'm not buying the "bargain packs" which are cheaper. But it's worth it to me to have a bit more variety on a daily basis.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #2063
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilettoMommy View Post
I posted this in the wrong thread. Forgive me I'm new here.

I started Induction on August 15, I've lost 7 pounds as of this morning. I do realize this is all water weight but my question to those that have been doing it awhile, will these pounds come back? I've never lost this much this quickly. Thanks, hope everyone is having a great day.
Hello and welcome!

Many people see HUGE scale losses at the beginning of a low-carb diet because their body quickly drops pounds of "glycogen" and water when dietary carbohydrates are dramatically restricted.

Glycogen is a starchy substance that is stored with water in the liver and in muscle tissue. The human body keeps glycogen stores in the tissues to feed the brain, maintain steady blood glucose levels, and to fuel bursts of speed or strength. When dietary carbohydrates (or calories, or both dietary carbohydrates and calories) are dramatically restricted, the body doesn't have a sufficient dietary source to feed glucose to the body and to maintain glycogen stores so the glycogen stores are depleted. The amount of time it takes an individual body to deplete its glycogen stores varies depending on the individual metabolism, and on activity level, and on each individual's need for glucose as fuel. And because each glycogen molecule is stored with 3-4 water molecules, the body will also drop large amounts of water when glycogen is depleted. So low-carb dieters often see very large scale losses at the beginning of a low-carb diet.

When glycogen is depleted, and the associated water is flushed out of the body, sodium and potassium are also flushed out along with the water. This loss of sodium and potassium may also cause the body to retain less water than normal, in addition to the loss of the water that had previously been attached to the glycogen molecules.

The human body may also reduce the volume of blood that is in circulation when sodium and potassium levels are reduced, because the body adjusts blood volume to keep the serum concentration of sodium within certain parameters -- when there is too much sodium circulating in the bloodstream, the body will dilute the sodium by increasing blood volume with additional fluid; and when there is too little sodium circulating in the bloodstream, the body will decrease the fluid volume of the blood that is in circulation in order to maintain the desired serum level of sodium. These adjustments may also affect scale weight. The human body is AMAZING! It does all of this work to keep you healthy and alive, without you consciously knowing that any of it is happening.

Fat loss typically happens more slowly than glycogen loss so you may not see the same dramatic rate of loss continue throughout your period of dieting, especially if you have more than a small number of pounds to lose. And scale losses may fluctuate, partly due to the way that a glycogen-depleted body manages electrolyte replacement (especially sodium and potassium). Over time, losing the excess bodyfat that you want to lose will require consistency and adherence to your diet plan. Losing the body's glycogen stores is a normal part of the process, but it's a relatively small part.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #2064
Senior LCF Member

Trillex, it is great to see you looking so wonderful and happy! Thanks for the posts. What you have accomplished certainly should bring tears to your eyes, it nearly did to mine!

Are you studying this stuff in school, by the way, or are you just a very diligent and close reader? Because it is very clear the way you explain things.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #2065
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not ready to give up Induction because I think it's the most effective and I want to keep up until I reach my 100 pound goal. When I get to the last 30-50 pounds, maybe I'll reevaluate. But I do often wonder what my "maintenance" will look like. I think adding carbs in slowly will require much more mindfulness than just staying under 20 does.

But, as you so very thoughtfully put it, Martha.."Inch by inch." :-)

I've given myself a non-food reward goal recently, too. It used to be a variation of, "when I lose x pounds, I'll get an icecream cone" or something similiar. Those days are gone for now. :-) When I hit 225, I'm going to buy a sewing machine, so I can alter all of my adorable clothes, instead of trying to find money to buy new ones. :-) Crafting has always been something that keeps me balanced, so I'm thinking that picking up a new hobby will be fun and advantageous.
Smart!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #2066
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Also, I asked my Dr if I could start taking Metformin. My fasting insulin, after low carbing for 3 months, was still on the high side of normal. I think that might be why it takes me so long to lose a single pound, even running in the evenings and staying at induction level carbs. So that 1lb is either from the medication or the change in diet. I guess time will tell?
I was curious and so I looked into the Metformin question. I know a lot of bodybuilders and so I personally know guys who take a lot of different drugs "off label" in order to more quickly or more effectively cut bodyfat -- these guys are completely, obsessively insane and they often unadvisedly and illegally take things like cancer drugs or obscure asthma medicines because someone somewhere figured out that these things can reduce the level of stored human body fat. But I haven't heard of anyone taking Metformin -- and Metformin is a well-known drug -- so I wanted to check the metabolic pathway to see what what we know about this drug with regard to bodyfat reduction.
Metformin Pathway, Pharmacodynamic
http://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA165948566

Metformin lowers both basal and postprandial plasma glucose. It works mainly by suppressing excessive hepatic glucose production (through a reduction in gluconeogenesis). Other potential pharmacodynamic roles of Metformin metformin include: an increase in glucose uptake, increase in insulin signaling, decrease in fatty acid and triglyceride synthesis, and an increase in fatty acid beta-oxidation. Metformin may also increase glucose utilization in peripheral tissues, and possibly reduce food intake and intestinal glucose absorption.
Apparently, Metformin does what it's supposed to do -- it changes the way that the human body manages glucose, in a way that lowers the production of new glucose by the liver (hepatic glucose production) and also lowers the systemic level of glucose through multiple channels. As you can see from the quote above, though, it also decreases fat synthesis and increases the beta-oxidation (burning) of fat. So Metformin may be helping your fat loss efforts in multiple ways.

Metformin also appears to interact with AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), up-regulating this enzyme in a way that research has not yet clearly defined. AMPK stimulates increased nutrient delivery sensitivity in muscle tissue to enhance the uptake of the hormones that store nutrients in muscle tissue, for example, following strength training or intense aerobic exertion. AMPK is sort of a counteragent against insulin resistance, and could allow the cells to better manage nutrient storage. The fact that Metformin seems to positively impact "phosphorylation" (the activation of the enzyme AMPK) is interesting because, as a runner/mountain climber, the increased activation of AMPK might help you better manage energy production/management during your workouts regardless of your dietary intake.
AMPK is an evolutionary conserved sensor of cellular energy status that is activated during exercise. Pharmacological activation of AMPK promotes glucose uptake, fatty acid oxidation, mitochondrial biogenesis, and insulin sensitivity; processes that are reduced in obesity and contribute to the development of insulin resistance. AMPK deficient mouse models have been used to provide direct genetic evidence either supporting or refuting a role for AMPK in regulating these processes. Exercise promotes glucose uptake by an insulin dependent mechanism involving AMPK. Exercise is important for improving insulin sensitivity; however, it is not known if AMPK is required for these improvements.

AMPK and Exercise: Glucose Uptake and Insulin Sensitivity.
AMPK and Exercise: Glucose Uptake and Insul... [Diabetes Metab J. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI
AMPK up-regulation also seems to activate "Sirtuin 1" (SIRT1), which is kind of a mysterious enzyme that researchers are still trying to figure out. SIRT1 *supposedly* positively affects cell regeneration and it is *suspected* to be one of the factors that helps "naturally" lean and healthy people stay naturally lean and healthy. The doctor who developed "JUDDD" dieting and the "Calorie Restricted Optimal Nutrition" adherents are *theoretically* working on plans that optimize the activation of SIRT1 but, in reality, research hasn't revealed enough about SIRT1 for anyone to actually be sure about what it really does and how it works in different bodies. But if the presently unproven theories about SIRT1 are correct, this is another pathway that may help Metformin help you with your fat loss goals.

With regard to the reason that bodybuilders don't (to my knowledge) take off-label Metformin as a dieting tool -- I may be wrong, but -- I don't think insulin-resistance is a common problem among competitive bodybuilders. Plus, bodybuilders have methods of effectively up-regulating AMPK without using drugs. The high-carb re-feeds on "cyclical ketogenic diets" (CKD) have been proven to be effective at up-regulating AMPK. This process works because strength training up-regulates the enzymes for glycogen synthesis and glycogen storage, and also up-regulates AMPK. The depletion of liver glycogen, which is part of the depletion process that occurs in order to facilitate the re-feed, changes the liver metabolism and down-regulates the hormones and enzymes that process glucose as fuel. So the re-feeds then reverse the process in the liver, while activating a series of hormonal and enzymatic functions that up-regulate levels beyond their standard baseline in order to more efficiently process the incoming glucose into glycogen following the re-feed, during a period when the body will preferentially store incoming glucose as glycogen rather than processing the glucose as fuel.

It's kind of complicated and weird! But this is the foundation of contemporary bodybuilding "cutting" diets and this process has been effectively used since the 1980s. So the Metformin pharmacology wouldn't provide a fat-loss pathway that isn't already being exploited. Anyway, that's my theory...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #2067
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Trillex, it is great to see you looking so wonderful and happy! Thanks for the posts. What you have accomplished certainly should bring tears to your eyes, it nearly did to mine!

Are you studying this stuff in school, by the way, or are you just a very diligent and close reader? Because it is very clear the way you explain things.
Thanks, Martha! After suffering chronic lower back pain and HORRIBLY low stamina for years, due to my excess bodyfat, I'm just so grateful to feel strong and be active. And I'm SO humbled by the kindness and generosity of all of the guys who have helped me improve my health. I truly believe they saved my life! And I can never repay that debt.

I've read a lot about these metabolic processes since I started this diet program because I'm surrounded by bodybuilders. Seriously, both of my brothers are competitive amateur bodybuilders. And most of my cousins. And a lot of my childhood friends. I'm not studying this material in school but I kind of wish I was teaching it because the human body is super amazing and I want everyone in the world to *think* about the really awesome gift that we all have!

Contemporary bodybuilding relies on A LOT more science than you might think. So when my brothers and my trainer in Michigan -- who is a close childhood friend who is also a bodybuilding coach -- agreed to help me with my fat loss program, their main requirement was that I educate myself about the process of bodyfat loss. They kept telling me that it was important to "lose bodyfat not weight" and they insisted that I understand the difference. Once I did their *required reading*, I was really fascinated by the human body so I've kept reading. It's really cool stuff and the research is available online for free.

Nobody in *real life* cares about this stuff! So I'm really glad we have the forum so that I can share some of the stuff I've learned.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #2068
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
I was curious and so I looked into the Metformin question. I know a lot of bodybuilders and so I personally know guys who take a lot of different drugs "off label" in order to more quickly or more effectively cut bodyfat -- But I haven't heard of anyone taking Metformin -- and Metformin is a well-known drug -- so I wanted to check the metabolic pathway to see what what we know about this drug with regard to bodyfat reduction.

It's kind of complicated and weird! But this is the foundation of contemporary bodybuilding "cutting" diets and this process has been effectively used since the 1980s. So the Metformin pharmacology wouldn't provide a fat-loss pathway that isn't already being exploited. Anyway, that's my theory...
That makes sense why they wouldn't use Metformin. I can't explain at a cellular level what is happening in my body but I can explain thru symptoms and evidence that something is changing.

The first thing, that I find fascinating, is that my body will VIOLENTLY reject high GI carbs. (i.e. eating pasta makes me vomit). Talk about a motivating deterrent to eating bad carbs!

I have a LOT more energy during the day. I have been running at least 1-3 miles every night after work and on weekends I hike 3-6 hours on one or both weekend days and have a big 10 hour hike planned for the end of the month.

I have little or no appetite. I'm rarely hungry, except when I wake up, I'm starving. Which is REALLY new, because I have always struggled to force breakfast. Now it's my first thought when I wake up. I have had to start planning the night before to have something handy (i.e. boiled eggs) as soon as I roll out of bed.

Also, I have always had a terrible gnawing craving at 3pm every afternoon wanting something to make it to 5pm. It used to be sweets. Then it was just anything. Boiled eggs, veggie sticks, anything. I don't have the 3pm crave anymore.

I've mentioned before that I take my basal temp every morning. When I'm not following plan, my temps are all over the place. When I'm following plan, my temps regulate to a small zigzag. Now, on Metformin, my temps have totally flat-lined. That is a huge indication to me that SOMETHING is going on, stabilizing...

I'm down 1.5lbs in 5 days.

Having said that, today is day 7 of Metformin, so it's all VERY new and who knows how this will turn out day 30. Things could always change. But I'm excited about the changes so far. They all seem to be moving things in a positive direction. And, as I've also mentioned before, DH and I are TTC. And a lot of women with IR have reported success on Met, so there is that hope as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #2069
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*140*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
Quote:
My "monthly progress" updates haven't been "monthly" all summer. But I think you guys know that my heart is in the right place, and that I'm trying my best to be honest with myself and with you guys about my fitness progress. Today was the start of a new week and it was my first weigh-in and measurements since my return from vacation. Here are the results:

Monthly Weight History
11 May 2012: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December: 181.5 pounds
31 January: 172.5 pounds
28 February: 167 pounds
31 March: 159.5 pounds
30 April: 156 pounds
11 May 2013: 152 pounds
31 May: 149.5 pounds
8 July: 141.5 pounds
19 August (today): 141.0 pounds

Scale loss to date: 94 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May 2012 To Today
Ankles: Left -1.75", Right -1.50"
Calves: Left -4.75", Right -4.50"
Thighs: Left -6.00", Right -7.00"
Hips: -10.25"
Waist: -10.00"
Upper Arms: Left -3.50", Right -3.50"
Wrists: Left -0.75", Right -1.00"

I don't know what I weighed when I returned from vacation so I can't honestly say what my excessive-compulsive overeating did in the short-term with regard to my scale weight and/or measurements. But clearly, overall, I didn't gain weight as a result of stuffing (overstuffing) myself. Nor did I lose weight during this period -- well, 0.5 scale pounds. I somehow lost an additional inch from my waist measurement since I was last measured...? To be perfectly honest with you, I have no idea what that's about.

To me, the problem I have with my losing control and stuffing myself while on vacation isn't necessarily about *weight gain* but rather about my desire to have a *healthier* and more reasonable relationship with food. I have a long way to go before I'll be normal in that regard -- if I ever *can* be normal.

Here is a photo of me rockin' a knockoff Higuain jersey that I bought on the streets of Napoli!

I'm trying to show you guys my thigh "cuts" -- HaHa! -- just to show you how GRATEFUL I am for all of the lunges and squats and deadlifts (and torture) that my trainers had me do. I'm so far beyond grateful -- I'm actually a bit teary about it right now -- because my trainers and my brothers and all of these guys told me that I would look in the mirror one day and see strength. But I don't think I really believed them until -- one day -- I looked in the mirror and I saw strength. I'm not just *smaller* than I used to be. I'm stronger than I used to be!

With regard to food, I'm working my way up the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder but I'm currently paused on the "nuts and seeds" rung, where I'll stay until I'm back at my home in Michigan. I didn't want to add any new foods while traveling and while visiting my family in Chicago. So -- except for my festival of Napoletano olive oil and anchovies -- I've had, pretty much, the same diet profile for the past couple of months.

I did introduce Quest bars into my eating plan when I left for vacation, to have them in my purse for situations when no other food was available. And I'm glad I had them with me because there were times when I spent the day running around with Napoletani and we honestly didn't go anyplace that had *real* food -- other than pastries or chips or pizza in lounges and cafes and bars. Seriously, there were days when I didn't get to a restaurant that served normal meat and veggies until after 8 or 9PM. And if I hadn't had a Quest bar with me after we climbed back down from the hot-ash, direct-sun abuse of Vesuvius, I would had about 15 cocktails to recover! I'm kidding... But I'm kind of NOT kidding...

Now that I'm back in a settled environment in which I can cook real food, I don't feel the need to eat Quest bars very often, especially not a whole Quest bar. But I'm glad I discovered these bars because they're kind of nice for times when I'm not hungry enough to have an entire meal but I'm hungry enough to need *something*. I read another thread on the forum about cutting the bars up and freezing the pieces, which I've done, so I can just grab a piece or two out of the freezer. That was a really great option for me, for example, when I returned from the gym today because I would *normally* have made something like catfish and salad even though I really wasn't hungry enough for a whole meal like that. And it's hot and humid here today, so I really didn't feel like eating anything hot or heavy or meaty.

I guess that's all for this *monthly* progress update! Cheers, all!
Tril
You are an inspiration.
Thanks for sharing your monthly stats.
My goal is to reach 140 by December!
*Aug 1 - 200 lbs
*Aug 5 - 195 lbs
*Aug 7 - 191.8
*Aug 9 - 192
*Aug 10 – 191
*Aug 15 - 196 (TOM)
*Aug 18 - 198 (TOM)
*Aug 19 - 196 *did not do P90x yesterday
*Aug 20 - 195
(Aug 30 goal = 185)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #2070
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: StilettoMommy
Stats: 205/205/140
WOE: Low Carb-Induction
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Thanks, Martha! After suffering chronic lower back pain and HORRIBLY low stamina for years, due to my excess bodyfat, I'm just so grateful to feel strong and be active. And I'm SO humbled by the kindness and generosity of all of the guys who have helped me improve my health. I truly believe they saved my life! And I can never repay that debt.

I've read a lot about these metabolic processes since I started this diet program because I'm surrounded by bodybuilders. Seriously, both of my brothers are competitive amateur bodybuilders. And most of my cousins. And a lot of my childhood friends. I'm not studying this material in school but I kind of wish I was teaching it because the human body is super amazing and I want everyone in the world to *think* about the really awesome gift that we all have!

Contemporary bodybuilding relies on A LOT more science than you might think. So when my brothers and my trainer in Michigan -- who is a close childhood friend who is also a bodybuilding coach -- agreed to help me with my fat loss program, their main requirement was that I educate myself about the process of bodyfat loss. They kept telling me that it was important to "lose bodyfat not weight" and they insisted that I understand the difference. Once I did their *required reading*, I was really fascinated by the human body so I've kept reading. It's really cool stuff and the research is available online for free.

Nobody in *real life* cares about this stuff! So I'm really glad we have the forum so that I can share some of the stuff I've learned.

You look amazing.

Campagna? As in Italy? I think we stopped there when we did Amalfi, how amazing is it there?
Closed Thread