Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #2011
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Also:

Laura! How did that chocolate zucchini bread decide to act the next day? Haha.

Stevie: The medical community and their numbers are definite funsuckers. I should sit about at 120 to be "normal," but my first big mega goal is to get to 170. That'll be a 100 pounds for me, and then I'll address the last 50. BUT I do certainly love that almost size 34. That number is perfect!

cmcd--I'm thinking of you, just so you know. <3

And martha, please let me know how the magnesium helps. I'm wondering if I need to up my supplements, too.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #2012
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
To me, it doesn't matter that I stuck with on-plan foods. And it doesn't matter if the scale went up or down or stayed the same. I still know -- in my heart of hearts -- that I let myself down while I was on vacation because I allowed my eating to be about things that it shouldn't be about. I know that I have a problem with food. And I know that I can't maintain my progress unless I address the issues that lead me to eat when I'm not truly hungry and/or to eat beyond the point at which I'm satisfied.
Remember Trillex, this doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. There are times and reasons to over indulge a little. Being on a once in a lifetime trip to Turkey and Italy is certainly one of those times in my book. You need some flexibility in life. I simply refuse to live in a world where I can't over indulge in things such as food, fun, sex, drink, travel, sporting events, music, cigars..... on an occasional basis. Trust that you have enough self awareness and strength to get back to the normal with food like you do in the other areas of life. In other words, stop being so hard on yourself. You are getting an A+ in this area, how about just getting an A for awhile.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #2013
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chichi
Stats: 220/214/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: August 2013
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I am just starting Atkins. I weigh 220 and I am excited to get started. Good luck to everyone
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #2014
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Queenie424
Start Date: August 8, 2013
Hi everyone! I'm new here but not new to LC eating. I really need some support as I am the only female at my house (hence my handle) and I live with 2 marathon runners, a football player and a 4 year old who lives on goldfish crackers and chicken mcnuggets. Basically, I live in a carbohydrate infused minefield and need help navigating my way through. I am at an all time high for my weight and an all time low for my self-esteem. Today is day 1 of induction for me. I have a long way to go with at least 100 pounds to lose. I've been reading your posts for a couple of days already and am excited to become part of your online family.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #2015
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Queenie and ChiChi. Glad you jumped on the bus. The first week is a little tough but it gets easier. Make sure you make a full clean break from sugar. Make sure you have a lot of Induction Foods on hand so you won't get hungry. After you make the switch and your body and mind settles down, check back in and we will help with menus.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #2016
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Zucchini cake update. Has a good flavor. Need to change the oil I used and add a bit more coconut flour. So needs a touch of work and will be great.

Trillex - are you having fun? I think atm that is the important part. Not so much to worry about what yer eating. It's on plan you are allowed to over do it a lil here and there... Otherwise there is no hope for any of us. We are human we are gonna over do stuff it's just our nature. If you are only doing that every now and then and not eating the off plan foods that you know will take you back to where you don't want to go I say enjoy yerself!!!

Welcome ChiChi and Queenie great to have you with us.

Last edited by LauraDavis; 08-08-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #2017
Senior LCF Member

Hi ChiChi and Queenie :-) I'm relatively new here, too. These guys are incredibly helpful so you found a good spot.

I peed on a keto stick today. I don't usually pee on them because everyone says they don't really work as well as we hope they do.. BUT it registered a strong pink today. That was a nice end to my evening. I then proceeded to eat mushrooms sauteed in butter because those cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs that I grabbed for my "on the go" lunch break didn't really do much.

Tomorrow's an early day and I'll be up at 5:30..so I'll weigh myself earlier than usual and I'm hoping for a good result. *Crossssssssiinnnnngggg my fingers that I don't gain anything from the cheeses in my system!

Laura--I tried the cheese "crackers" but I used wax paper instead of parchment. Needless to say, I had a fair bit of wax paper for dinner. Ha. Do you think there are any carbs in wax paper? Oh my. Trial and error is the most effective teacher, for sure.

:-) Have a good day everyone.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #2018
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DHoward12Fan
Stats: 227/227/135
Start Date: August 01,2013 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Welcome Dhoward12 fan (although being a Laker fan I have a hard time with your name). This is a very good program and it will work for you if you work it. Just go for it. You can snack away all night as long as the stuff you eat is on the induction food list. I used to eat every hour because I had hypoglycemia really bad. I can tell you, once you get rid of sugar, your need and desire to snack will go away.

Hang in there Martha. Give it a little bit of time. I would suggest that you stay on Induction at least another week and really find out what is happening. It may not even be food related at all.
@Laura: thanks so much for your help!! I'll pack a few of those tomorrow night, although I'm kinda at the point now where I don't really feel like snacking!

@Big Stevie: As a Magic fan, even *I* have a hard time with my name! But I love Dwight and will stand by him no matter what!! hehe

I've been in induction now for a week (started last Thursday, Aug 1) and am at the point where I'm not hungry all the time. No crazy cravings and I haven't had that "induction flu" everyone is talking about. Should I have?? Is it coming? According to my Ketostix I am in "large ketosis" (second from last square??) but have yet to see a pound drop off. Will this happen soon? I hear you can lose quite a bit in the first two weeks.... hoping it's all just waiting to fall off next week.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #2019
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoward12Fan View Post
I've been in induction now for a week (started last Thursday, Aug 1) and am at the point where I'm not hungry all the time. No crazy cravings and I haven't had that "induction flu" everyone is talking about. Should I have?? Is it coming? According to my Ketostix I am in "large ketosis" (second from last square??) but have yet to see a pound drop off. Will this happen soon? I hear you can lose quite a bit in the first two weeks.... hoping it's all just waiting to fall off next week.
You may get some Induction Flu at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it. I only got it a day or two. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water. 1 ounce of water for every two pounds of weight up to a gallon a day.

The weight loss should start to occur. Don't worry about the weight loss, just worry about making the transition over to a fat based diet instead of a sugar based diet. Once you are stabilized, (another few days) we can start to look at your menus to see what you are doing and we can help you choose the best options. You should be at about 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% crabs. Go to one of the online trackers and put in your daily menus. It will show you your percentages and give you ideas on what you need to change.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #2020
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DHoward12Fan
Stats: 227/227/135
Start Date: August 01,2013 (restart)
Quote:
You should be at about 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% crabs.
CRABS?! I LOVE CRABS!!! hehe

Thanks so much for your input. My trainer says I should start taking protein shakes as well after workouts and that should help. he's got me on a no-carb protein... haven't tried it yet... hope it tastes okay!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #2021
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for your input. My trainer says I should start taking protein shakes as well after workouts and that should help. he's got me on a no-carb protein... haven't tried it yet... hope it tastes okay!
I am not sure what shake you are talking about, but I would be very careful. Lots of them have sugar, artificial sweeteners, carbs, and other stuff. If for one have bad reactions to them and they stall my weight-loss. You don't need fake food. Eat real foods from the induction food list and you will be fine.

When your body is used to running on sugar, your body will look for sugar for its energy. When you go on Atkins you are forcing your body to look for fat to run on. You will likely be getting plenty of protein from the meat you are eating. What your body really needs is fat. So a fat shake would make a lot more sense than a protein shake. Something like a bulletproof coffee (coffee with butter in it) would be good.

The first couple of weeks your body is converting over to running on fat. It will normalize in time. During the first couple of weeks transition period, I recommend not stressing your body with heavy exercise until your body has had a chance to make the conversion. . Exercise will make you healthy for sure, but it isn't necessary to lose weight. I lost my first 50 pounds with no exercise at all. I did this because people told me I was fat because I was lazy. I wanted to prove to them all it was about the food, not my activity level. I have always played a lot of sports including hockey and soccer even at 300 pounds.

I realize what I am saying here is a big departure from mainstream thinking. But it is the way Atkins lays it out. It is very counter-intuitive to what we have been taught. Be careful taking diet advise from folks not really schooled in low carb.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #2022
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Queenie424
Start Date: August 8, 2013
Little bit of victory here- 3 days in, down 8 pounds! But something even better to me is the way my legs and ankles lok tonight. I work 12 hour shifts sitting at a desk Friday, Saturday & Monday. Usually by Saturday night my legs & ankles are swollen and feel like they will burst. Tonight I am not swollen a bit! For my trifecta- there was a pizza party at work today. I took 2 slices of the "all meat" & ate the toppings, crust on the trash. I am celebrating tonight with hot wings & bleu cheese dressing.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #2023
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Way to go Queenie!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #2024
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I'm back home in the beautiful US of A! And my *real* life starts again today.

I really truly NEEDED a vacation! I didn't go anywhere last year because I used that time and those resources to focus on my health journey -- which was a wonderful investment that has paid huge dividends. But travel is what recharges my batteries so I wasn't quite *right* inside my head and heart because I'd been in my home culture for too long. It's weird and it's difficult to explain, but immersing myself in a different culture energizes me. So I *feel* better now that I've had a break. I feel stronger! I'll be back in the gym in a few hours and I'm excited to see if my vacation re-charge will translate into gym power.

Here is a vacation photo of me on the south coast of Italy, in the town of Praiano which overlooks the amazing Praia Bay. I'm wearing a size 8 Abercrombie & Fitch skirt that I NEVER thought I would EVER be able to wear again. I'm sure the ladies will agree that an A&F size 8 is a *normal* size 6 so wearing that skirt on vacation felt like #WINNING! I've put the current photo next to a photo of me at my starting weight of 235 pounds.

I ate on-plan while I traveled. But I ate A LOT! I didn't stop eating when I was satisfied. I didn't even stop eating when I was stuffed. I did my best to estimate the portion sizes and I logged everything I ate into the tracker on my phone -- and my vacation eating looked a lot like the old eating patterns I had before I started Atkins last year. When food was put in front of me, I ate it ALL because I was out of control. I have a *problem* with food. No matter what I weigh or what my measurements are, I'm still struggling with a *fat problem* because I'm still capable of losing control around food. My family and friends seem to think I'm "fixed" and that everything is okay because I'm back to my "normal" size. But I'm not fixed, I'm still broken inside and I'm still struggling to fight the monster inside me that is capable of eating everything in its path.

My trainer will weigh me today when I go back into the gym and, for the first time since I started Atkins last May, I'm actually *dreading* stepping onto the scale.

Aside from my continuing issues with food -- bah humbug -- my vacation was MARVELOUS! I am madly in love with Napoli and with the Napoletani -- they are beautiful people who were warm and welcoming to me all day every day. For example, some of my travel mates and I were walking down the section of Napoli's coastal promenade that is called "Via Partenope" when I ran into a few of the Napoletani that I'd gotten to know and, when I cheek kissed a few people along the way, the 11 year old son of one of my travel mates said, "Wow! You know everybody!"

People in Napoli have this "espansivo" culture where they just *adopt* strangers and treat us as if we've lived there and known them for a lifetime. So it was super easy get to know people! And I got to know the neighborhoods pretty well because a couple of guys were nice enough to take me on scooter rides up to clubs and parties in the neighborhoods of Posilippo and Vomero, which are up on the hills that overlook central Napoli. One of my new Napoletani buddies took me out to a crazy football bar in Pozzuoli called "Pub Maracana." It's an Irish pub with a Brazilian name that's decorated with mementos of an Argentine footballer (Diego Maradona) that's in a working-class Napoletani neighborhood and is filled with raucous discussions in Italian. It was CRAZY FANTASTIC!

Then I spent the last few days of my vacation in Istanbul, which has an absolutely EPIC cafe culture! Europe has a fabulous cafe culture that I've always loved and that I look forward to visiting every year. But after spending a few weeks in Morocco two years ago and a few days in Turkey this year, I think the Muslim culture adds something special to cafe culture that elevates it. There's something super special about the way that people *honor* you by pouring you a cup of coffee or tea. It feels like respectful affection.

My favorite cafes in Istanbul were outdoor lounge-seating places on a promenade along the waterfront -- beautiful view, perfect climate, Euro-electronic music, and all of the best parts of a nightclub but without the sleaziness. I can literally only say 5 things in Turkish (hello, please, thank you, good bye, keep the change) but people were still chatting away to me! Super friendly! And the coffee in Turkey was even better than espresso in Italy. Seriously! Turkish coffee is AMAZING! And I had the good fortune to be in Istanbul for the holiday that ends Ramadan, which was a total blast of parties and dancing and unbridled joy.

Cheers, uagliune! It was good to get away but it's equally good to be back!

(BTW - "uagliune" is "you guys" in the Napoletano language, which is still commonly spoken in southern Italy in addition to Italian. A couple of prominent southern Italian hip-hop artists currently freestyle in a blend of Napoletano and Italian. It's quite fascinating!)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #2025
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
Also--I've been doing precisely by the book eating lately, and I've been having painful numbness in my right hand again randomly in the morning. Before I started Induction, I had read that numbness in the appendages was a sign of diabetes (it was actually one of my most motivating factors to start this WOE) and when it subsided by doing LC, I thought that I had nipped it in the bud. Now, my carbs are controlled, my weight is continuing to go down, and I haven't had any mishaps..but my hand is going numb randomly again. I've also been getting dizzy if I stand up too fast. What's with THAT? I've never had dizziness in my entire life!

Sigh. I should probably suck it up and go to a doctor, I think.
Wow! I don't know anything about this numbness situation that you're having, but it sounds BAD! Are you currently testing your blood glucose levels?

Starting a month before I actually started the diet, my buddy who is helping me with my diet program had me test my fasting blood glucose in the morning and then test after meals. I was a bit scared at first, but it actually isn't that bad. And I was genuinely relieved to learn that I have what my doctor calls "aggressively normal" blood glucose levels -- no matter what I ate (while I was eating my "normal" diet of Taco Bell and premium ice cream), my blood glucose levels never went above 120 mg/dl and never dropped precipitously.

Because I was obese and in such poor physical condition -- and because my demographic group (female, African-American) is disproportionately diabetic -- I assumed I would be diabetic or at least "borderline" diabetic. But my body's blood glucose management was never actually a problem. So, if you start testing, at least you'll know whether or not your blood glucose levels *could* be causing this problem. You might test and find out -- like me -- that your blood glucose levels are healthy/normal. And then, if it isn't your blood glucose, you would be in a better position to figure out what is causing this numbness situation -- which sounds kind of dangerous to me. I don't know anything about it and I hope it isn't serious, but numbness just doesn't sound good.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #2026
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Remember Trillex, this doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. There are times and reasons to over indulge a little. Being on a once in a lifetime trip to Turkey and Italy is certainly one of those times in my book. You need some flexibility in life. I simply refuse to live in a world where I can't over indulge in things such as food, fun, sex, drink, travel, sporting events, music, cigars..... on an occasional basis. Trust that you have enough self awareness and strength to get back to the normal with food like you do in the other areas of life. In other words, stop being so hard on yourself. You are getting an A+ in this area, how about just getting an A for awhile.
I truly appreciate your faith in me!!! I hope that I will someday have good reason to have that much faith in myself with regard to food.

But vacation isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing in my life. I go somewhere every year, for a minimum of 3 weeks -- I spent 3 months in Spain and Morocco two years ago. If I spend a month (or more) of my life losing control every year just because I'm in Europe and I have a legitimately good reason to lose control, I honestly believe I'll just be back here on the forum re-losing the bodyfat that I've already worked so hard to lose. And if you add in all of the "special occasions" -- like holidays and weddings and family events where someone has made truly once-in-a-lifetime food -- I'll have a legitimately good reason to lose control every other weekend.

I have a VERY damaged relationship with food. I know that a lot of people on the forum -- maybe *most* of the people on the forum -- gained excess fat due to metabolic issues. But I gained fat because of what's inside my head -- because I don't know when to STOP EATING delicious things once I've loosened the reins. I kind of feel like you guys have only seen my *food angel* and not the *food devil* that always sits on my other shoulder. Since I've been on Atkins -- and the whole time I've been on the forum -- I've had a trainer supporting me five days per week along with daily support from a couple of dozen bodybuilders, so you guys haven't *seen* my out-of-control behavior. But my kind of overindulgence isn't *normal* -- I've actually scared people with the volume of food I've consumed in a single sitting.

I'm back from vacation. And real life means I can get back into a routine where it *should be* easier to stay in control. Hopefully, over time, I can learn to manage my condition without going into a fugue state of overstuffing myself when I'm outside of my controlled environment.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2027
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I am just starting Atkins. I weigh 220 and I am excited to get started. Good luck to everyone
Welcome to Atkins, Chichi! Good luck to you, too!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #2028
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie424 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new here but not new to LC eating. I really need some support as I am the only female at my house (hence my handle) and I live with 2 marathon runners, a football player and a 4 year old who lives on goldfish crackers and chicken mcnuggets. Basically, I live in a carbohydrate infused minefield and need help navigating my way through. I am at an all time high for my weight and an all time low for my self-esteem. Today is day 1 of induction for me. I have a long way to go with at least 100 pounds to lose. I've been reading your posts for a couple of days already and am excited to become part of your online family.
Welcome back to low-carbing, Queenie! I also started with 100 pounds to lose -- and my life is filled with competitive bodybuilders -- so I can completely relate to your situation. I can't say that my diet journey has been *easy* but it is pretty simple: just don't eat the goldfish and nuggets! If you can manage to consistently say "no" to the temptations, it pays HUGE dividends over time.

Welcome!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #2029
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I use the Isopure Zero Carb Vanilla and it genuinely tastes good. I've tried other Isopure Zero Carb flavors and thought they were UGH -- horrible tasting!

Basically, the vanilla has no flavor at all (which is good because I find most protein powders to be absolutely vile tasting), and I make a hot "mocha" drink using the Isopure Zero Carb with organic cacao, coconut milk, and coffee. My trainer's *real job* is coaching competitive bodybuilders and his graduate degree is in sports nutrition, so he's been training me the way he trains his bodybuilders and he got me started on this drink for metabolic support reasons -- the cacao flavanols are an antioxidant to protect muscle protein from ROS (reactive oxygen species) after weight training workouts and the caffeine in coffee is an natural lipolytic to support continued fat release after the workout bout is over.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #2030
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 35down
Stats: 209/156/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Grateful_Love re: your hand numbness. I, too, have had that and was nervous about it being something bad. But a trip to the chiropractor and a few adjustments and it went away. he did explain how and where the problem happens but i don't recall the details. It does come back because I am not good about going in regularly.

And not trying to copy your symptoms or downplay them, but am still occasionally dizzy on standing and have been low carb dieting since April. I usually add a bit of salt or take a potassium capsule-sometimes both.

Not to mean you shouldn't make that doctor appointment. Just thought it might help your peace of mind a bit to know that I have had similar things happen.

Good Luck on your weight loss journey.

35down
Old 08-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #2031
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I truly appreciate your faith in me!!! I hope that I will someday have good reason to have that much faith in myself with regard to food.

But vacation isn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing in my life. I go somewhere every year,

I have a VERY damaged relationship with food.
Yes, I do have faith in you. Anyone who can loose 100 pounds as slow and steadily as you, I have faith in.

Yes, you go on vacations, but your experiences you had this time you won't have again. I would never encourage you to go wild, but I would encourage you to relax every once in awhile.

For a person with a very damaged relationship with food, you have done a damn good job of hiding it for a very long time. Maybe just, maybe you have made at little progress in that area, YOU THINK. Feel as damaged as you want to but I for one see you making tremendous strides in this area of your life. Now we just got get your thinking to catch up. Trust that you are a new person and you have new ways of doing things. Yes, we can all go back to our old ways, but that isn't who we are anymore.

Welcome home, although you were never too far away, and we still had your back.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 08-12-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #2032
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, I do have faith in you. Anyone who can loose 100 pounds as slow and steadily as you, I have faith in.

Yes, you go on vacations, but your experiences you had this time you won't have again. I would never encourage you to go wild, but I would encourage you to relax every once in awhile.

For a person with a very damaged relationship with food, you have done a damn good job of hiding it for a very long time. Maybe just, maybe you have made at little progress in that area, YOU THINK. Feel as damaged as you want to but I for one see you making tremendous strides in this area of your life. Now we just got get your thinking to catch up. Trust that you are a new person and you have new ways of doing things. Yes, we can all go back to our old ways, but that isn't who we are anymore.

Welcome home, although you were never too far away, and we still had your back.
Thanks, Big Stevie! As always, you're there when I need you. HUGS!

Checking in with you guys while on vacation kept me away from pizza and gelato and Napoli's legendary pastries... So I can't possibly tell you how grateful I am for that!

I was back in the gym yesterday and back to my *normal* eating patterns. I'm eating multiple small meals throughout the day (like I did when I started Atkins last year) because, after a few weeks of over-filling my stomach to an uncomfortable degree, my body has to re-learn what a "single portion" is. So, in a way, I feel like I'm back to Square One. But I thank God that Square One isn't 235 pounds!

My trainer didn't weigh and measure me yesterday. He looked through my food tracker -- he actually asked me, "Is this right?" -- and he thinks we should wait a week to check the scale because, to be honest with you, I was kind of freaking out about getting on the scale. So he's going to give me some time to calm down and stop beating myself up before we face the consequences.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #2033
Senior LCF Member

Trillex--I fight with my "food devil" about once a week (I can't help but HATE the pizza fiasco over and over--because I STILL feel so guilty about it when I think about it, and it was literal WEEKS ago). Damaged relationship with food, FOR sure, over here. And I know that it's probably not much, but I'm really proud of you for staying on plan (even if you did over indulge a little). I bet a year ago you wouldn't have stuck to your guns as well as you did on vacation this time. While battling with my own food devil, I'm learning that awareness is clutch. You're very aware. It's inspiring. Keep up the good work, keep learning how to forgive yourself, and understand that above all, your honest heart is what makes you beautiful in that AF skirt. :-)

As far as the numbness, I really SHOULD get into a doctor--I've always avoided them, mostly because I've always encountered the, "well, all of your problems will go away if you just lose weight." Head colds, anxiety issues, ear pain, rashes--ALL will get better if you lose weight, don't you know? Ugh.

The numbness has definitely drastically decreased since this WOE and it's entirely random when it occurs now. I experienced it one more day after mentioning it, and haven't experienced it in about a week. Usually it's upon waking, and it's not IMMEDIATELY upon waking, but after about 10 minutes, I'll feel my hand start to "ache" a bit. The dizziness is ENTIRELY new, and has still been happening if I stand up too fast, or if I get up from laying down (especially when I'm getting up from doing my pilates in the morning).

Funny (but maybe not so funny story): On Saturday night, DH and I were laying in bed for the eve talking about days events. Both of us decided we had to pee and we "raced" each other to see who could get to the bathroom first. I sleep on the inside of the bed and I was laying on my stomach, so I sort of did a "push up" to get up. I got up SO fast that when I got to my knees to scurry out of the bed I FLIPPED OVER off of the bed, on to the floor, and into the dresser. Like literal half back flip..because I lost my balance. Ha. It was quite a sight to see. Needless to say, I made it to the bathroom first, by default. And I have a bruise on my shoulder, but I'm otherwise unscathed.

35down--It's really interesting that you mention going to a chiropractor, because I'm certain that I could use an adjustment. I've always had issues with my knees (because I always lock them, and sometimes they buckle randomly now. I blame this on gymnastics when I was younger. I was always too big for gymnastics, but kept up with it anyway..and I'm sure all of those tumbles and somersaults did major damage to my developing cartilage and muscle tissues..) About two years ago, I pulled a muscle in my lower back/hip area and it was so painful I thought my appendix was bursting. I went to the ER without insurance, and walked out after seeing a nurse, getting a shot in my butt, and a script for 15 pills I couldn't afford--and a 1300 hospital bill. They suggested chiropractor, too, but..with no insurance..yadda yadda.

I see a doctor every 6 months for anxiety issues--he gives me as needed anti anxiety medicine, and a relatively low dosage of lamictal for mood stabilizing. He's wonderfully forgiving that I don't have insurance and spaces out my appointments to help..But he's called for blood work and an EKG just because I've never had them tested since I started the medication 3 years ago. I'm dreading the bill, but I know that it's entirely necessary and will only benefit me.

I know that some people have said that when taking a glucose tolerance test (or whatever it's called, Idk, tbh) they had to increase their carbs to a certain number or the readings will be wonky..I'm interested in knowing the details about this..Trillex? Stevie? Anyone? Your words of wisdom would be much appreciated here, for sure.)

I'm 15 pounds from halfway there. 237.8 today. Halfway there is 222. :-) Since March, I've averaged 7.44 pounds of loss each month. Since August 1, I'm down 6. My goal for this month is 230..it was very slow going at first, so I said I would be okay with 235--Stevie said he thought I could lose 10 pounds this month if I upped my water and exercise..I'm trying to prove him right. :-)

Thanks for listening, guys. Have a beautiful, beautiful day.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #2034
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
and he thinks we should wait a week to check the scale because, to be honest with you, I was kind of freaking out about getting on the scale. So he's going to give me some time to calm down and stop beating myself up before we face the consequences.
Not be beat a dead horse or anything but unless someone stood in for you on all those vacation shots you have been sharing, you are looking pretty good and have nothing to worry about. I think your trainer knows you well and the advice he gave you was great for you and your head. Wait a week to get on the scale.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #2035
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm 15 pounds from halfway there. 237.8 today. Halfway there is 222. :-) Since March, I've averaged 7.44 pounds of loss each month. Since August 1, I'm down 6. My goal for this month is 230..it was very slow going at first, so I said I would be okay with 235--Stevie said he thought I could lose 10 pounds this month if I upped my water and exercise..I'm trying to prove him right. :-)

Thanks for listening, guys. Have a beautiful, beautiful day.
That is great that you are half way home. You are doing great. You have lost 6 in August and we aren't even half way finished. Good for you.

As far as blood sugar testing, you should just get it done. It is a good thing to know. If you are eating low carbs, your numbers should be fine.

As far a numbness goes, you should have that looked into. When I was really heavy, I would sleep in weird positions and wake up with aches, numbness, and pains from putting all my weight on my arm for example. I have really noticed that this has gone away to a great deal. So it maybe something as simple as the way you are positioned when sleeping. Numbness in limbs is also associated with diabetes and a number of other things, so you should pay attention to it. The blood sugar test will help show any issues.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2036
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Trillex and Stevie--I'll call. The end. No more excuses. I don't think that it's because of me laying on particular joints though, because it happens like 10 minutes after getting out of bed, instead of still being there. And again, it hasn't happened in like a week, and before that it had been far and few between since my start date this past March.

I have a script for blood work and an EKG, although I just checked all of the codes and none of them are for blood glucose--so, I should call the good ol' PCP tomorrow (or soon) anyway.

Tonight, DH treated me to dinner at a cute little restaurant/brewery an hour or so away for our "almost-aversary," ha. He loves to celebrate with food--it's a problem. But!!! I ate on plan and had steak, mushrooms, summer squash and onions. No sauces..hopefully there was nothing hidden anyway..but I don't think it could have been..but who knows. We also got a little appetizer of mushroom caps full of cream cheese, green peppers, onions and chives. There were four little mushroom caps, so not too much cream cheese. THIS WAS NOT A PIZZA FIASCO! I am proud.

I refused the potatoes, and asked for double veggies with no problem, but I've never eaten summer squash in my LIFE. I used my tracker and found that they were "legal," so I ate what I wanted and brought the rest home.

I'm TERRIFIED that something might have been hidden somewhere in there, especially since this was a good weigh day. I reaaaaaalllly hate that fear.

And also, while I'm venting.. TOM showed up and I hope that my scale is nice in the morning.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #2037
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know that some people have said that when taking a glucose tolerance test (or whatever it's called, Idk, tbh) they had to increase their carbs to a certain number or the readings will be wonky..I'm interested in knowing the details about this..Trillex? Stevie? Anyone? Your words of wisdom would be much appreciated here, for sure.)
The "glucose tolerance test" (GTT) gives skewed results when the subject has been eating a low level of dietary carbohydrates for an extended period of time before taking the test because the liver takes a while to up-regulate the enzymes and the associated metabolic systems that process glucose as fuel. (BTW, this is an important part of why high-carb re-feeds *work* for bodybuilders who do cyclical ketogenic diets. When they re-feed carbs, the carbs aren't processed as fuel but instead are stored as glycogen and are then used to fuel workouts.)

When dietary carbohydrates are dramatically restricted for an extended period of time, the liver down-regulates the enzymes that process glucose as fuel, all of the body's systems that process glucose as fuel are also down-regulated, and the liver can't *instantly* reverse the process when carbohydrates are re-fed. This is why people who take the GTT after sustained periods of very low-carb eating often get ridiculously abnormal test results -- because the body isn't ready to process dietary carbohydrates in the *normal* way, partly because the body doesn't have a sufficient amount of enzymes in circulation to quickly manage large influxes of glucose.

There are some indigenous groups who normally eat a relatively low amount of dietary carbohydrates as part of their traditional diet so, when medical people test these tribes for diabetes, the patients have to be pre-fed carbohydrates for several days before taking the GTT because this population would ordinarily have a lower level of the necessary glucose-processing enzymes as a result of their typical low-carbohydrate intake.
The NDDG and the WHO recommend that individuals undergoing an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) consume a minimum of 150 gm of carbohydrate on each of three days preceding the OGTT. Carbohydrate restriction affects the diagnostic accuracy of the OGTT.

The impact of low carbohydrate consumption on glucose tolerance, insulin concentration and insulin response to glucose challenge in Dogrib Indians.

The impact of low carbohydrate consumption on ... [Med Anthropol. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI
You can also test your blood sugar at home on a regular basis: I've been testing my fasting blood glucose when I wake up in the morning and then I test after meals to learn how different foods affect my serum glucose levels. It's quite interesting! You could also test your blood glucose levels when/if you have another episode, to see where your blood glucose levels are when you have those painful attacks.

I don't know where you can get them in your area but in Detroit and in my parents' neighborhood in Chicago, there are always health vans parked in front of libraries and stuff that give out free blood glucose meters along with a month's supply of lancets and test strips. Diabetes is absolutely rampant in poor communities -- like Detroit and the neighborhood I grew up in -- so clinics literally give away diabetic supplies. You could probably check online and find a place near you that's giving them away for free. Some organizations even deliver to the home, primarily for elderly people who have impaired mobility.

Even if your condition is not related to blood glucose issues, I've found it interesting just to see how my blood glucose behaves. The human body is just SUPER FASCINATING!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #2038
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: StilettoMommy
Stats: 205/205/140
WOE: Low Carb-Induction
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:

Dymatize ISO•100 , 100% Whey Protein Isolate is carb free and the vanilla is amazing.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2039
Senior LCF Member

Trill--the way the body works is becoming more and more interesting as I go through this site and read. I started Atkins once, lost about 25, rewarded myself with carbs, and gained it back plus 20 more. This time, it's so much easier. I still have harder days than others, but it's so much easier. I really DO feel committed to it as a WOE instead of a means to an end.

I called the doc. I have an appointment scheduled for September 12th..Its a ways away, but I know that later is better than never. I don't test my blood glucose--never have outside of labwork for the doc when I was contemplating WLS three years ago. I was more near the diabetic side than the normal side, but I wasn't considered "borderline" yet. As I'm aging, I'm finding that things can get wonky quickly. I'm pretty sure I have arthritis in my knees from all of those tumbles in 4th grade! But, most days it goes away after I'm up and moving a little while.

Hubs COULD put me on his insurance, but it would be an EXTRA 110 a month. I've always just said that we should keep that money to live with because I'm fine..but maybe I'm not so fine, after all. We've just managed this long without me being on insurance that it didn't seem necessary. Before this round of labwork, he's going to put me on it though..because I know the lab work will be upwards of 600 without insurance.

That article was extremely interesting, btw. I'll have a new doctor because mine left on a mission trip to nicaraugua and just never came back. Hopefully he's slightly more receptive to my WOE than Margaret was.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #2040
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Hello, everybody. I've just been reading everybody's posts since about a week ago and catching up on who's new and what's happening. I took six days to travel, visit family, make my first appearance as a dancer in about 25 years, and help out a friend recovering from surgery. She has a small farm/big garden with fruit trees, chickens, berries, and all kinds of flowers and vegetables. I packed some on-plan rations and bought a few ready-to-eats from the grocery store, but pretty much managed to stay on a somewhat liberalized version of my WOE. I had one spoonful of a dish that contained sugar and flour, but it was very special -- a family recipe that my mother used to make for my birthday each year out of fresh wild blackberries -- and it was prepared by a family member and served at the reunion. So I had a bite. Then I had one more swallow of something off-plan that was just a boo-boo. I had been asked to make the tea, made one version sweetened and one not, then got mixed up and started to drink the wrong one. I seem to have come home just a hair lighter and a bit smaller in the hips and waist. I didn't binge at all, I wasn't miserable, I enjoyed my food, and I only got up once in the night feeling like I needed to eat. And when that happened I had a nice slice of roast pork. So my anxiety was not necessary and I don't think I wound up "liberalizing" nearly as much as I was ready to, if necessary.

And since I am three or four pounds from my goal I decided to wrap up the food diary and records that I have been keeping online and see about starting a different accounting method -- one that will keep me pretty well informed and aware but maybe be a little less time consuming and demand less attention? I have a tendency to obsess and would like to have the best of both worlds. So I'm continuing the daily weighing and not really loosening up much on the foods I'm eating (though I'm thinking topping out somewhere approaching 30 net carbs a day rather than the 20 I'd been doing lately.)

I'm looking at some new tracking/fitness/recipe software and just pondering all this. I picked this WOE because it seemed to take maintenance more seriously than most, so I'm re-reading those parts of the books. Don't feel any desire to add back grains at all though, other than as needed in small doses for specific dishes. Beans I am already adding back into soups in modest quantities. And I'm probably eating twice as much fruit as I was two weeks ago, but that only amounts to about 16 to 24 blackberries a day or something like that. I helped harvest fresh figs in Virginia, so I did eat about three or four of those while I was there, small warm ripe ones, right off the tree. But no cravings or weirdness or out of control eating came of it.

Feel pretty good.

Last edited by martha; 08-15-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Closed Thread