Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1951
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
YAY!!!!! Congrats Stevie!!!!

Trill, this is a silly comparison, but I have 2 pit bulls and they both weigh 85 pounds each. One is all muscle, and one is..... well.... NOT all muscle. LOL. When we go the lake, the one that all muscle has to work really hard to swim. She LOVES it, but she works hard to do it. The one that has a lot more fat on her body swims easily. I've always thought it was because the fat floats, so it's easier for her, but the one with no fat on her body has to work really hard to stay up in the water. Even though you weren't fat as a child, you probably weren't as muscular as you are now with all the working out you do! Not that I'm comparing you to my dogs.. LOL. But you're a totally new you, lots of muscle and not much fat at all!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #1952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well the 11 week stall if finally over!!! I got on the scale today and I am down 6 pounds. About time.

It is really strange how this works on my body. I have had a series of these losses then hold at a weight. This one was just the longest at 11 weeks.
Feels GREAT, doesn't it, Stevie? Congratulations!

Martha
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #1953
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I don't know if this will help but, if the situation *is* the result of an electrolyte imbalance, then maybe taking one of the sugar-free electrolyte supplements like the kind that endurance athletes use would help correct this problem by stabilizing your internal chemistry.

You're losing weight quite quickly and a lot of the initial loss that results from cutting dietary carbohydrates is water loss, which flushes out electrolytes. Electrolyte imbalance impacts muscle protein synthesis, and the heart is a muscle. Electrolyte imbalance also impacts blood volume -- your body adjusts the volume of blood in circulation by adding or releasing water to keep your body's serum concentration of sodium within certain parameters -- so losing electrolytes can also impact cardiovascular performance.

*Weight* loss isn't the same thing as *fat* loss so, if you raise your carb level and lose a bit slower, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're losing *fat* at a slower rate. So you may be better off in the long run if you do what's best for your individual body and lose at a rate that feels most comfortable to you.
Thank you so much, Trillex, that sounds very calm and sensible. And knowledgeable. I went to bed and slept long and hard after having a day of feeling really tired and just generally punk, and so far today I'm much better. I'm going to look into this electrolyte drink business. Thank you.

Martha
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #1954
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
I keep reminding myself that this isn't about vanity--the decreased size is just a bonus. We are getting healthy and that's the bigger picture.

...And at Martha--I experienced something similar to your experience my first month or so. I started drinking SF Powerade and it helped. Definitely freaked me out, though. I hope that it works out for you..I'm going to try what Trillex suggested, too.
Thank you and good luck. I didn't realize Trillex had commented till I saw your post. And your comment made me face the fact that part of this for me *is* about vanity, because I think these last five pounds are probably not going to make any big difference. So if the cost of reducing to my "fashion weight" is too high, I hope I have acquired the maturity to let it go. I tell myself that I need to lose these last five or six pounds to ease the stress on my joints (I like to dance and jog a little) but I don't think I'm being entirely honest about that!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #1955
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I think these last five pounds are probably not going to make any big difference. So if the cost of reducing to my "fashion weight" is too high, I hope I have acquired the maturity to let it go. I tell myself that I need to lose these last five or six pounds to ease the stress on my joints (I like to dance and jog a little) but I don't think I'm being entirely honest about that!
This is really good self awareness. We all have this goal amount in our minds. But so many folks pick a goal that will keep you in a constant state of deprivation. As we inch closer up to goal, it is harder to loose. I know I am getting closer. At some point, our bodies tell us where they are going to be happiest. Listen to your body.

And as a person who ran, danced, hiked and did a lot of other activities with an extra 100 pounds on his body, 5 pounds won't make a difference.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #1956
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Stevie. I've had to learn not to be compulsive or addictive about things all my life, and the tendency to get that way doesn't go away. I call it "looping" or "getting caught in a loop." Being in one can be satisfying and even sort of fun in the short run, but it's incompatible with mental health and crashing out of one leaves me depressed and disillusioned. One of the reasons I'm on here in the first place is that I was researching successful maintenance, and they said that people who had a support group did better. But I was afraid of having my obsessive nature reinforced. So it's nice to have this conversation.

I do feel better today, though, and am acting fairly sane at the moment, so I'm going to stick to my plan for four more days below 20 net carbs, and then start adding them back, 5 at a time, by the book.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #1957
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Well the 11 week stall if finally over!!! I got on the scale today and I am down 6 pounds. About time.

It is really strange how this works on my body. I have had a series of these losses then hold at a weight. This one was just the longest at 11 weeks.
I don't think it's strange... I think your body just likes to remind you that the scale is only one way to track your progress. If you made predictable, incremental, daily scale progress, you might then lose sight of the key goals -- looking and feeling better. Your body is trying to keep you honest! HaHa!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #1958
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yakirice
Stats: 156/133/115
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 2013
I'm on day 4 induction. I didn't see a change until this morning. I've lost 3 pounds! I didn't have a lot of faith. I've been eating craploads of meat to curb the cravings so I thought I wouldn't lose. I hope this isn't just a lot of water weight. Either way, it's nice to finally be in the 120's again.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #1959
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Yakirice. Weight is weight, don't worry about categorizing it. Keep eating and staying full. Also, drink lots of water. You will settle in, in a week or so and when you do, we can take a look at your menus and help you modify them. The first week is just about changing over from a sugar diet to a fat diet. Great start. Stay out of your head and into the plan. This diet throws all of your supposed knowledge about food on its head.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #1960
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yakirice
Stats: 156/133/115
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 2013
atkins

I actually ate low carb throughout my 20s and stayed around 110-115. I'm 5'4, and I had to pass tape and weight. I was in the Army. I kind of let things go when I got married. My husband eats crap, and a lot of it and stays skinny bc he gets to work out 3 times a day if he wants. SMH. Not everyone has that kind of time on their hands.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #1961
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love2Lift
Stats: 193/185/150
WOE: Atkins / protein powder
Start Date: 23rd July 2013
I'm 3lb down - did a relatively low on sunday lower monday and atkins low tuesday and today. so am pleased with this result. I've got my TOM today so am thinking it might not show tomorrow but will hang on in there and keep going as I am. I did atkins years ago and lost about a stone a month so was very happy with it.

Well done all and particularly those breaking stalls they're not easy mentally to get through.

My initial goal is 170 then 150 (for competitions) and after that I'll be in the 'see where I'm happy' range, I've never been there. or under 160 something for many years.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #1962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I've now done 7 days low carb, 2 days high carb, and now I'm on day 3 of induction. I haven't weighed myself because it's that TOM... Cravings are actually beginning to go down, thank god...

Yakirice, you're like my goal weight and my height!!! Wow...
Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #1963
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love2Lift
Stats: 193/185/150
WOE: Atkins / protein powder
Start Date: 23rd July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I've now done 7 days low carb, 2 days high carb, and now I'm on day 3 of induction. I haven't weighed myself because it's that TOM... Cravings are actually beginning to go down, thank god...

Yakirice, you're like my goal weight and my height!!! Wow...
haha and you're my goal weight!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #1964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Lol, great we all have different starting points and goals I guess it's sort of motivating?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #1965
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TxShuggie
Start Date: July 2003
I started Adkins 3 days ago. For now I liking it. I would like suggestions for snacks for the first two weeks.
Thanks,
Shug
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #1966
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
boiled eggs, fat bombs, sliced meat, fresh vege sticks dipped in mayo or nut butter, small pieces of sugar free chocolate, sugar free jello, pork crackling, fruitsickles (pieces of 'legal' fruit on a sqewer and frozen.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #1967
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Welcome Shug! Personally, I'd recommend keeping your induction really clean. Meat, eggs, and cheese. Eat until you're satisfied, but not stuffed.

For breakfast, bacon and eggs or ham and eggs is always good. Or an omelette with cheese and some type of meat in it.

Lunch and dinner can be any type of meat that you like. Chicken (Skin On), Steak, Pork Steak, etc... I also sometimes make a taco salad or chef salad.

You can do this and it isn't hard at all. Ask questions and read and post a lot!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #1968
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm. I think I may be experiencing some of what I've read about happening in induction/ketosis. Suddenly not only not hungry but actually having a little trouble finishing the little bit of food I decide to eat. Feeling intense and energized. Focus pretty good. Did decide to keep my workout low-key tonight though, because my heart rate is still higher than expected. Not scary, not pounding, nothing bad, just -- higher. Drinking a good salty bone-meat-vegetable broth with a good bit of calcium and magnesium in it, and feel ok.

After the big drop last week -- about four pounds after a long stall -- I don't expect anything dramatic in the way of further loss. Have been inching down all week. Perfectly satisfied with all this. Glad I managed to stick it out.

Thanks again for the guidance I've gotten from several people, especially Trillex and Stevie, others I am probably forgetting (OK, I'm not THAT focused!)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #1969
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
I did mushrooms sauteed in butter then a handful of spinach thrown in and 2 eggs with a touch of hwc scrambled with it, topped with a bit of cheddar cheese... omg
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1970
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
I did mushrooms sauteed in butter then a handful of spinach thrown in and 2 eggs with a touch of hwc scrambled with it, topped with a bit of cheddar cheese... omg
Sounds fantastic.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #1971
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxShuggie View Post
I started Adkins 3 days ago. For now I liking it. I would like suggestions for snacks for the first two weeks.
Thanks,
Shug
Get the Atkins book and read it. It has an Induction Food list. Study the list. If it isn't on there, don't eat it. For snacks have meat, eggs, pork rinds, certain cheeses and pickles. Keep it simple and eat real food. Don't get the bars or shakes they try to sell you. Just eat the real stuff. Make big meat, like a pot roast, ham or pork shoulder. Then you can eat it for snacks or a quick easy meal. For example, ham and eggs for breakfast, chef salad for lunch, ham with cheese and vegetables for dinner. When I first started, I would always cook a big piece of meat or two on the weekend so I would have it in the fridge for the week. It makes it easy to stay on plan. If you use your imagination, you can find lots of different ways to prepare meet so it keeps things interesting. Good luck, you can do this. Stay on plan and learn what your particular body does and doesn't like. Pay attention to how your mind and body feels when you eat certain foods.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #1972
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hmmm. I think I may be experiencing some of what I've read about happening in induction/ketosis. Suddenly not only not hungry but actually having a little trouble finishing the little bit of food I decide to eat.
My trainer had me eating multiple *small meals* every day when I started -- which was designed to break my habit of stuffing myself with super large portions. During those initial months, it kinda felt to me like I was only eating a few bites at each meal and then I was satisfied -- genuinely satisfied! And I didn't want to eat beyond being satisfied because Dr Atkins specifically says in DANDR to "eat until satisfied" but not stuffed.

I really appreciate the experience of finding myself satisfied by a few bites of salad and lamb, for example, because I think that experience taught me what it means to nourish my body with food, rather than using food as entertainment or pleasure or any of the numerous other reasons behind *why* I was eating so much more food than my body needed.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #1973
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I really appreciate the experience of finding myself satisfied by a few bites of salad and lamb, for example, because I think that experience taught me what it means to nourish my body with food, rather than using food as entertainment or pleasure or any of the numerous other reasons...
Yes -- I would love to stay in the zone of not being compulsive about food. And truth is, even when I'm not over-eating, I'm a little OCD about it. You wouldn't BELIEVE how I resisted changing what I eat for breakfast! I had to inch away from it, reducing the quantity of the not-Atkins-approved food until I was eating so little of it I had to have something else for breakfast, by which point I finally was able to go completely without it. But I also had to run out! Here's to sanity.

Martha
Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #1974
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ognorris
I am enjoying all of your responses and tips for induction process. I am back on Atkins for the first time since 2006 going all the way this time. In 2006 i did very well losing about 38lbs but for whatever the reason did not keep it up. I am finding that because I am older now the weight is coming off slower this time around. Although I am working the program better this time than i did in 2006
Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #1975
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognorris View Post
I am enjoying all of your responses and tips for induction process. I am back on Atkins for the first time since 2006 going all the way this time. In 2006 i did very well losing about 38lbs but for whatever the reason did not keep it up. I am finding that because I am older now the weight is coming off slower this time around. Although I am working the program better this time than i did in 2006

I did Atkins in 2004 and was successful. I then went on a cruise and said, well I will just eat anything I want for a week. That week lasted 9 years. If you lost before you will loose again. The key is just sticking with it. You can do it and you will feel better. Just remember, your body can't take carbs. You constantly have to remind myself of that. I look at it like an alcoholic looks at a drink. You just can't have them. As soon as you accept that truth, then the weight will come off and stay off. Atkins for life baby.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #1976
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes -- I would love to stay in the zone of not being compulsive about food. And truth is, even when I'm not over-eating, I'm a little OCD about it. You wouldn't BELIEVE how I resisted changing what I eat for breakfast! I had to inch away from it, reducing the quantity of the not-Atkins-approved food until I was eating so little of it I had to have something else for breakfast, by which point I finally was able to go completely without it. But I also had to run out! Here's to sanity.

Martha
D'accordo, Martha! Here's to sanity!

I'm a bit OCD, too... So it's driving me CRAZY that I can't weigh my food while I'm traveling. I'm still tracking everything I eat, but I'm *estimating* the quantities and I'm really bothered by the fact that I am surely mis-under-estimating.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #1977
Major LCF Poster!

I've been catching up on the forum in the mornings, before I head out for the day. So I was thinking about yesterday morning's post while I was out-and-about yesterday. And I think that the lessons I've learned through this process, about the importance of eating for nourishment, have made it a lot *easier* for me to say "no" to pastries and pizza and gelato during this vacation. I can look at something and *know* that it tastes delicious, but *feel* that deliciousness is not a good enough reason for me to eat it.

Our hotel is about 50 steps away from the oldest pizzeria in Napoli, which is the oldest operating pizzeria in the world. And it's not just old, it's very well-respected for the quality and artistry of the pizza. Their crusts are legendary. And my buddies absolutely cannot get enough of that pizza! But these guys are all fit and they don't have my problems with food, so they can totally eat pizza or whatever as a treat or a reward or as vacation entertainment. But I can't. If I start eating things because "It's delicious and I have to try it" or because "I've worked hard and I've earned it" or for any reason that isn't ultimately about nourishing my body then, no matter how much bodyfat I lose, I'm going to find myself in a lot of trouble.

With that said, though, I've been eating past the point at which I'm *satisfied*. I've had huge platters of octopus or anchovies or shrimp and I haven't stopped eating until it was all gone. This isn't good. This is how I ate before I started this diet program -- I stopped when the food was gone, not when my body was satisfied. So today's goal is to shut that behavior down! And to eat in a way that is healthy for my mindset and true to my body's needs.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #1978
Senior LCF Member

Wow. Three days after my induction high and I have just been floored all day. After that one great day I've been running out of juice, very fatigued, and even getting a little emotional about the deprivation -- which is very new. And I don't like it. Glad I'm at the end of the two-week induction (which may have been closer to three weeks, depending on whether you count a week in the low 20s before I finally shoved it down into the teens). Really tired of this and want to go to something more forgiving, like 30 net. This is a strange way to feel for me, so negative about the whole thing. It's really not like me.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #1979
Senior LCF Member

And I have been looking after my electrolytes.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #1980
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow. Three days after my induction high and I have just been floored all day. After that one great day I've been running out of juice, very fatigued, and even getting a little emotional about the deprivation -- which is very new. And I don't like it. Glad I'm at the end of the two-week induction (which may have been closer to three weeks, depending on whether you count a week in the low 20s before I finally shoved it down into the teens). Really tired of this and want to go to something more forgiving, like 30 net. This is a strange way to feel for me, so negative about the whole thing. It's really not like me.
I've read about a couple of *potential* causes for this kind of thing. But please take this with a grain of salt because each individual body is so different...

It could be a form of sugar withdrawal. You've mentioned that you were previously eating a large number of daily carbohydrates but I don't know how much of your daily carb budget was actually sugar. Sugar specifically affects brain chemistry by stimulating the action of a neurotransmitter hormone called "dopamine." Dopamine release is stimulated and regulated by things that cause physical pleasure -- stimulant drugs, sexual stimulation, and *reward* foods or *sweet* foods can all dramatically affect or alter dopamine levels. Dopamine affects the "reward" center of the brain. It's part of your body's natural system of making you feel *balanced* and *gratified*, so changes in your dopamine level might result in your feeling physically and emotionally imbalanced.

Not everyone has the same physical reaction to systemic changes in dopamine, so some people will be quite sensitive to changes whereas others won't experience any notable side effects. But if you are one of the people who is sensitive to changes in your dopamine level, it might cause you to suffer a significant level of physical and emotional discomfort.

Dopamine is a "catecholamine" hormone. But completely unrelated to your dopamine levels, you could have changes in your systemic levels of the other catecholamines -- particularly "epinephrine" and "norepinephrine" (also called adrenaline and noradrenaline) -- which might cause uncomfortable physical and emotional imbalances. The systemic levels of epinephrine and norepinephrine in the human body are regulated and naturally limited by insulin release. So changing the level at which your body releases insulin, by dramatically restricting dietary carbohydrate intake, naturally allows a higher level of epinephrine and norepinephrine to circulate through your body.

The catecholamines are called "fight or flight" hormones because their release increases blood pressure and heart rate, and generally acts as a nervous system stimulant. Basically, these are the hormones that prepare your body to physically react to danger, so having a high level of these hormones in daily circulation could cause anxiety, discomfort, and a variety of other uncomfortable symptoms in a person who is sensitive to their effects. As with dopamine, not everyone is sensitive to the effects of the catecholamines. But if you are a person who is sensitive to them, they could cause you a significant amount of discomfort.

If you are sensitive to the effects of the catecholamines, then you definitely don't want to have any of the chemicals that stimulate their release while you're eating a low-carb diet that doesn't release insulin in a way that limits systemic catecholamine levels. Caffeine and nicotine dramatically stimulate catecholamine release, in case you're using either of these chemicals. Other than that, your body *should* eventually adjust and better manage a higher systemic level of these catecholamines. Epinephrine and norepinephrine are "lipolytic" hormones that increase the release of fat from fat cells, so bodybuilders actively work to maintain a higher level of these hormones while they're on "cutting" diets, but most bodybuilders find that the *jittery* stimulant effect generally wears off after a few weeks and they start feeling normal again.

Dopamine is a more difficult issue to address. Dopamine is complicated. It does a lot of intricate work inside the human body and I don't think anyone *really* knows how to address systemic imbalances of dopamine. Even the treatment of the dopamine issues related to Parkinson's Disease seems to be a bit experimental at this point in time.

Maybe raising your daily carb level will stop whatever it is that is making you feel bad. We're all individuals so, at a certain point, all you can do is experiment and find the approach that feels *right* to you...
Closed Thread