Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #1921
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Thanks everyone for the love. I have been feeling a bit down for being stuck at the same weight for so long.
I'm sure you already know this... But I want to say that it's not about how many pounds (or even inches) you're losing at any given time. It's about consistency and sticking with what you know that you need to do. Eating less than you burn, over time, will remove the excess fat from your body. The basic math and physics will always be on your side when you're doing what you need to do.

The scale doesn't always show a direct line of progress. But the fundamentals will always pay off for you, even while you don't *see* it happening.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #1922
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
HaHa! Thanks for calling me out on my nonsense, you guys! Mt Vesuvius IS magnificent -- beautiful twins whose presence dominates the Bay of Naples. We had a gorgeous Napoletano day and I could *feel* why so many generations have loved (and feared) this volcano.

I was with a Napoletano friend and he actually laid down on the trail at one point and said, "I can't breathe! I need a cigarette or I can't finish this." HaHa!

Vesuvius actually isn't that tall! It's currently about 4,000 feet. Before the explosion in AD 79, it was a single cone of about 8,000 feet. But the famous explosion wasn't a lava eruption, it was an ash explosion that blew the top half of the mountain completely off the cone. So the top half of old Vesuvius became a second mountain that now sits next to the base of the original.

The lower levels are a lovely trek, with lots of lush tree cover. The mountain is adjacent to the bay so it's a lovely, breezy walk on those lower paths. And most of the mountain has very modest inclines. The last 1,000 feet have no shade cover, though, so that's the part that got me. And the terrain at the top of the main mountain is made up of the granular ash that blew out of the mountain, so I tasted dust and grit (and what I'm pretty sure was demonic brimstone) for the last 1,000 feet. I've trekked on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea in Hawai'i, which didn't have this type of ash. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea still have lava eruptions, which harden into solid masses of beautiful black rock so they weren't as *dusty* and I never felt like I was breathing pumice.

All I have to say is that I hope that dust is low carb. I'm going to check on that for you

It sounds like you are having a blast on your trip! Have fun!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1923
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
HAHA... demonic brimstone! =D I have a love\hate relationship with one of the trails I hike regularly. The bottom half is tree covered, shady, beautiful, slow incline. It lulls you into this false sense of security. And then half way up you pass the tree-line and it's this brutal, rocky, sun-blasted, gutt wrenching hike from hell!! Which...feels great to have accomplished when it's over. But DURING!! During I wonder why I keep coming back for this torture!! People are regularly brought down the trail on stretchers or air lifted by life-flight helicopters. I always tell DH if I ever hurt myself on the mountain, leave me there to die. I don't want the humiliation of being brought down by emergency folks! I doubt he will honor my dying wish.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1924
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Because I think my body is like my toddler-aged child. And to love that child, I can't give her everything she *wants* because she sometimes wants things that aren't good for her. I wouldn't give my two year old child a gun if she wanted one to play with, so I'm not going to give my body a pizza just because my body thinks it will have a good time eating the pizza.
That hit home, for sure.

This is the first time I *really* went off plan.. I was SO broken hearted the moment I started putting my plate away. It really isn't worth it.

Usually when I feel like I cheated, it's because I over carbed on a low carb pancake (eggs, pork rinds, and cinnamon) or something that I COULD eat in moderation. The moderation part is *always* the problem.

I'm learning, really and truly, that I have to continue rewiring my brain. Instead of, "I can't eat that," I say, "I don't eat that." Old habits are hard to break, but--I can't justify or excuse myself. The only person holding a fork to my mouth is me.

With that being said--I made coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, sweetener and peppermint extract fat bombs--and they are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. So I know that I won't over indulge. I went for the cheaper unsweetened chocolate--worst idea. I'm sticking to the cocoa powder--it tastes better. Blech! I'm wondering if I can just melt it down and add..something/anything..to make it better.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #1925
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
All I have to say is that I hope that dust is low carb. I'm going to check on that for you
HAHAHAHA!!! I just choked on my water as I read this! Ha!

I'm so insane that I -- seriously -- drank a lot of water the next day in the hope that the volcanic ash I swallowed/inhaled would be sort of a spa detox. You know how some detox formulas contain clay? I was, like, "This is probably pulling toxins out of my body..."
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #1926
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
HAHA... demonic brimstone! =D I have a lovehate relationship with one of the trails I hike regularly. The bottom half is tree covered, shady, beautiful, slow incline. It lulls you into this false sense of security. And then half way up you pass the tree-line and it's this brutal, rocky, sun-blasted, gutt wrenching hike from hell!! Which...feels great to have accomplished when it's over. But DURING!! During I wonder why I keep coming back for this torture!! People are regularly brought down the trail on stretchers or air lifted by life-flight helicopters. I always tell DH if I ever hurt myself on the mountain, leave me there to die. I don't want the humiliation of being brought down by emergency folks! I doubt he will honor my dying wish.
Yikes! That is some serious stuff! I've read about search and rescue in the Rockies -- from what I've read it is a huge, well-organized operation -- but you've really brought home the seriousness of that environment.

I've trekked Mt Rainer, up to the 9,000 - 9,500 foot level, but the weather there is so cool and moist and misty that it's an easy, pleasant trek. It's a deciduous, old-growth forest so it's very dark and cool and weirdly *refreshing* going up the mountain. I want to visit the Rockies someday. I've read a bit about it and it sounds absolutely magnificent! And if I could get a helicopter ride down the mountain after I collapse, well, that's a bonus...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #1927
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
That hit home, for sure.

This is the first time I *really* went off plan.. I was SO broken hearted the moment I started putting my plate away. It really isn't worth it.

Usually when I feel like I cheated, it's because I over carbed on a low carb pancake (eggs, pork rinds, and cinnamon) or something that I COULD eat in moderation. The moderation part is *always* the problem.

I'm learning, really and truly, that I have to continue rewiring my brain. Instead of, "I can't eat that," I say, "I don't eat that." Old habits are hard to break, but--I can't justify or excuse myself. The only person holding a fork to my mouth is me.
I can totally relate! I honestly believe that my bad *habits* are the biggest diet/lifestyle challenge I'm facing. I'm trying to develop new, positive habits. But a lifetime of eating unlimited quantities of whatever I want to eat is a HUGE hurdle to overcome.

I've been in Napoli for a week -- the birthplace of Italian pizza -- and I haven't had any pizza. Not a single bite to *try* it, because I really don't feel like the health consequences are worth it. BUT I've been eating boatloads of seafood. The seafood is all on-plan. But the *problem* is that I've been eating and eating and eating -- anchovies and squid and little fish called "paccheri" -- because these beautiful dishes are delicious. Much of the time here, I haven't been eating because I'm hungry. My bad habits persist! Even though I'm staying on plan, so I think I'm going to have to work harder to fight my bad behavior or I might not be able to maintain my weight loss, even while I am able to limit my carb intake.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #1928
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I think we all fight our old bad habits. I have had a very emotionally intense meetings all morning (estate and trust planning with my sisters and parents, planning what happens when my parents die). I really want sugar right now. My head wants it. My body doesn't need it, but my emotional self sure wants it right now. It has been over a year since I last ate sugar. I really feel ridiculous for having these feelings but they are still part of who I am. I am just not going to give in to the darn things. It will pass quickly I am sure, but I am having them right now big time. (Don't worry, I won't do anything about it.)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1929
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think we all fight our old bad habits. I have had a very emotionally intense meetings all morning (estate and trust planning with my sisters and parents, planning what happens when my parents die). I really want sugar right now. My head wants it. My body doesn't need it, but my emotional self sure wants it right now. It has been over a year since I last ate sugar. I really feel ridiculous for having these feelings but they are still part of who I am. I am just not going to give in to the darn things. It will pass quickly I am sure, but I am having them right now big time. (Don't worry, I won't do anything about it.)
Big Stevie, I'm sorry about your stressful morning. You have accomplished so much and gone so far -- I'm really in awe of you. I think it helps a lot to talk about your craving for sugar. I know I've struggled with this more in the past week or two then in the entire time I've been back in this WOE. Talking about it and seeing the emotional connection helps a lot (I know I have talked the ear off of my friends and family about this).
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1930
Senior LCF Member

Happy weekend, everyone! I'm heading out on my last trip of the summer (Vegas to see my partner's parents and some friends) next week. I've been doing a good job of mixing up my food intake this week, though I've still struggled more with cravings. I think it has a lot to do with my traveling and my body still recovering from all the time zone shifts. I find sleep has a big impact on how successful I am in this WOE and in my weight loss in general. Is that true for others?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #1931
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hang in there, Big Stevie!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #1932
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepingawake View Post
Happy weekend, everyone! I'm heading out on my last trip of the summer (Vegas to see my partner's parents and some friends) next week. I've been doing a good job of mixing up my food intake this week, though I've still struggled more with cravings. I think it has a lot to do with my traveling and my body still recovering from all the time zone shifts. I find sleep has a big impact on how successful I am in this WOE and in my weight loss in general. Is that true for others?
For me, the traveling has taken me out of my natural environment and those changes have made me long for dietary *stability*. I don't want a particular food but I find myself getting annoyed, for example, because I don't have any private time to eat. Or I get annoyed because I'm not cooking my own food so I can't really *see* what's going into it. I guess I'm basically longing for a more *comfortable* food environment.

Of course, traveling will stress anyone's diet! At this point, I think I'm just emotionally exhausted by the constant challenges. Dieting at home was pretty simple -- just fill the house with on-plan food and then eat that food. Now, I'm navigating menus in a foreign language. In a country where it's customary for individual chefs to slightly embellish the basic recipe, sometimes adding unexpected ingredients.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining! Honestly, it's not that difficult to just order some fish and a salad and have a great low-carb day. I'm just saying that the constant vigilance can play games with one's head while traveling.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1933
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hang in there, Big Stevie!
Sounds like you need to hang in there Miss Trillex!!! LOL

The reason these boards are great is that they show everyone has challenges. Nobody gets a free ride even Trillex and I who have done really well on this plan. The key to success is what you do when these challenges arise. Because trust me, they will arise.

BTW, I am feeling fine this morning. I stayed on plan even with the feelings I had yesterday.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #1934
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Steve and Trillex -- good luck. Sometimes there are moments in this process when I am grateful for the experience of giving up alcohol and tobacco, more than ten years ago. That forced me to really deal with cravings, over and over and over, and I'm pulling some of that experience out and trying to remember -- how did that work?

I'm just now planning a trip of a week or less in August and I'm a little anxious about traveling, too. I think I'm just going to have to pack some acceptable food and keep ordering salads.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #1935
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Trillex you'll make it. Enjoy the time away while you're there. If you get a lil something that you aren't suppose to have it'll be ok. You'll be home soon and back to much more safe comfortable ground with food. Just work on making all those memories for recalling when yer eating a good all plan meal in the privacy of your kitchen!

Steve - you can do this. It takes the tough times so that we can see what we are made of. As my grandmother is fond of saying "This too will pass".

Now for my rant. I got the full lenght mirror put up in my bedroom. I looked in the mirror after my shower tonight. I wanted to cry! I've been working the plan, I've lost 37#. You can't tell I've lost almost 40# I look disgusting. If you can tell my god how bad did I look before I lost the weight. I had been fine all month with the fact that I really haven't lost any weight this month but now I want it all gone now. I dont' want to look like this anymore. What is the point of buying nice clothes and doing my makeup if I look like this even when I'm done.....

Ok well I guess I'm back to a point that I care. So we will focus on that and go from there. Must have been pretty far gone in denial to not even be able to see how bad it had gotten. Needed to vent a little to people who have been there and know it gets better. Guess I really need to sit down and wrap my head around this new schedule and focus on how to eat and when to eat. I'll move eating out with the roommate to "lunch" at work. Eat just a lil bit of something when I take my pills before going to bed. I can do this. I will try to eat only when I'm hungry but before I get so hungry that I'll eat anything in sight. I eat low carb stuff but too much of it when I get too hungry. Ok I think my rant is over, thank you for listening, carry on!

Tomorrow I'll eat something before I go to my adopted family's meal. Love them but they dont' eat low carb. I try to pick things that shouldn't be off plan but without having prepared it ya never know how it was made (feeling your pain here Trillex). Don't want to be rude and ask how it was made or what is in it. So I am going to make cauliflower and leek soup before I go and have some of it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #1936
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Now for my rant. I got the full lenght mirror put up in my bedroom. I looked in the mirror after my shower tonight. I wanted to cry! I've been working the plan, I've lost 37#. You can't tell I've lost almost 40# I look disgusting. If you can tell my god how bad did I look before I lost the weight. I had been fine all month with the fact that I really haven't lost any weight this month but now I want it all gone now. I dont' want to look like this anymore. What is the point of buying nice clothes and doing my makeup if I look like this even when I'm done.....

Ok well I guess I'm back to a point that I care. So we will focus on that and go from there. Must have been pretty far gone in denial to not even be able to see how bad it had gotten. Needed to vent a little to people who have been there and know it gets better. Guess I really need to sit down and wrap my head around this new schedule and focus on how to eat and when to eat. I'll move eating out with the roommate to "lunch" at work. Eat just a lil bit of something when I take my pills before going to bed. I can do this. I will try to eat only when I'm hungry but before I get so hungry that I'll eat anything in sight. I eat low carb stuff but too much of it when I get too hungry. Ok I think my rant is over, thank you for listening, carry on!

Tomorrow I'll eat something before I go to my adopted family's meal. Love them but they dont' eat low carb. I try to pick things that shouldn't be off plan but without having prepared it ya never know how it was made (feeling your pain here Trillex). Don't want to be rude and ask how it was made or what is in it. So I am going to make cauliflower and leek soup before I go and have some of it.
Aw, Laura, it'll be okay! It really will!

I'm no expert but, it seems to me, these issues aren't really about "weight loss" but rather about "perception" or maybe about "acceptance." I'm sure you've read the same posts I've read from people who say something like, "I've lost 100 pounds so why do I look the same?" They don't *really* look the same! In my opinion, it seems like it's difficult for people to accept "better" when they want (we want) "awesome" and/or "amazing." I think there's something in the human brain that sees improvement and then automatically wants to fast-forward the tape to the end.

As you know, I take measurements AND photos every month. But there has NEVER been a single month when I've felt like I looked any different AT ALL than I did in the previous photo. Looking at my one-year-anniversary photo montage, the only real difference that I can *see* is the difference between the first photo and the last photo. And to be honest with you, I don't feel like I look *that different* between the first photo and the last. Seriously! But I feel better. And I'm wearing a smaller size. So I'll take that as a win no matter what I *see* in the mirror.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good answers for these issues. But I do know that you DON'T look "disgusting." You can't define that which falls short of your "ideal" as "disgusting." Maybe it's not "good enough" for you, but it definitely isn't "disgusting." Because if less-than-perfect equals disgusting, then we're all screwed. Just sayin...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #1937
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sounds like you need to hang in there Miss Trillex!!! LOL

The reason these boards are great is that they show everyone has challenges. Nobody gets a free ride even Trillex and I who have done really well on this plan. The key to success is what you do when these challenges arise. Because trust me, they will arise.

BTW, I am feeling fine this morning. I stayed on plan even with the feelings I had yesterday.
Amen, brother! Very true...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #1938
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
Oh, gosh. Here I am again!! Second time this year.... My goal was to lose 10% of my bodyweight by August 30th, but it will be hard now that I've been slacking... I've been doing LC since Saturday (7 days) and I did high carb yesterday. I was thinking of carb cycling, but I'm off that idea now.... Carbs just wasn't good yesterday!

So, my thought now is: Do low carb the proper way, with induction first, and exercise along the way. Thinking of doing a bunch of different exercise. Yoga, Pilates, jogging ++

I lost my part time job (had it 7 years) and I'm a student with the summer off. I SHOULD BE DOING BETTER!!!! So mad at myself right now.... I've had 2 months of free time and I haven't done anything useful. I need to stop wasting time in front of the darn computer!!!!!

School will be my main focus the next year. If I pass all my exams I'll have a Bachelor degree next spring!!! If I don't get a part-time job I have to take up student loans, but at the same time I HAVE to finish school. I'm 25 years and I want a steady job and children within the next few years, so I need that degree.

A lot on my plate, but now I have 3 weeks to focus on myself for real. Induction, workouts, low carb.... MAKE A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER!!!

Anyways, wish me luck I guess!!! And good luck to all of you!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1939
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
LAURA DAVIS I totally understand how you feel, your frustration. I too have shed 40 lbs. Down from 265. I dont see the difference when I look at myself either. I also am a little bummed that none of the people I see on a daily basis has commented on my loss. The only person who did comment was an ex I hadn't seen in three months and while it felt good that he commented in the grand scheme of things his opinion really doesnt count.

I think because we were over the 200 lb mark it is going to take a significantly larger weight loss before we can visually see progress. As such, we are going to have to find joy in feeling better, the fact that our pants arent leaving that "too tight pant impression" around our stomaches, less bloating you know? Also do you take measurements? I, like Trilex, do so on the 30th of every month. You would be surprised at how many inches you shed in a month, it really is a great pat on the back. I need tangible proof to stay the course so I look to the things I mentioned above to keep me motivated in the absence of visual proof from the mirror.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #1940
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
(((HUGS))) Laura. I completely understand how you feel. I've lost almost 70 pounds since February and gone from a size 24 jeans to a size 16 jeans, but I don't see ANY difference at all, and nobody has commented on it at all. I know exactly how you feel. I really feel like, when we're gaining weight or maintaining an unhealthy weight, we completely lose touch with the reality of how we look and with our body image. We perceive ourselves more as the way we feel inside rather than what we actually see in the mirror. Once we start focusing on losing weight and getting healthy, then we become more aware of our bodies and how they actually look and feel. It wasn't until I saw myself in pictures from my nieces wedding shower that I realized how out of control I was. How could I NOT have known, when I weighed 300 pounds????? Obviously there was an issue! LOL But what I saw in those pictures was NOT what I saw in the mirror every morning. What an eye opener. One of these days I'll post those pictures on here, but only when I have a decent "After" picture to go with it!

I don't know if all of that made any sense at all, but in my head it did.

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1941
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Laura, I've only been a lurker in this chat, but I wanted to jump in and send hugs!! I know that body image is a big struggle for a lot of us. Even though I've lost 50 lbs I am still very uncomfortable with my body when I'm naked. However, I do like the changes I see when fully dressed. It is weird that I don't really see the changes unless I'm fully dressed (likely due to the extra stretched out skin, etc that I am still struggling with). However, I may not ever get that "bikini body" back, but I KNOW that I am so much healthier than I was 50 lbs ago!! As our bodies get used to our new lower weight, our skin will hopefully tighten back up and eventually we will be able to see the amazing changes in our bodies! You have made amazing progress and I know that you will continue to do so! Keep smiling and carry on!!

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #1942
Senior LCF Member

Funny I don't see much change when I look in the mirror either. I think it is the way our brains are programmed. I have had this conversation with my wife many times over the last year. What I would suggest is that you take pictures and compare the pictures. For some unknown reason, I can see it easily see it in pictures even thought I can't see it in the mirror.

As far as losing weight and getting comments, I lost about 50 before anyone really said anything and now they won't shut up. It is mentioned every time now it seems. I think people are sensitive to hurting our feelings and don't want to get it wrong. Sorta like asking a woman if she is pregnant when she isn't. Or maybe we aren't really that special and people don't really pay that much attention to us. We all think people are focused on us when they really aren't.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-28-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1943
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
It means so much to know I have some really great friends here. Thank you everyone. It's always good to know it's not just you. I guess Trillex is right I just want results now and this month has been up and down with no weight loss for the month. Oh well there is always next month.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #1944
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Laura -- I totally feel this way! It isn't something we have clear perspective on and given how hard you are working on this WOE, it's easy to feel discouraged. I'm so impressed by what you have accomplished -- and your spirit with each post! We can do this!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #1945
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It means so much to know I have some really great friends here. Thank you everyone. It's always good to know it's not just you. I guess Trillex is right I just want results now and this month has been up and down with no weight loss for the month. Oh well there is always next month.
You're awesome, Laura! And we all ADORE you! These bad moments are, unfortunately, part of the journey. But they'll pass!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #1946
Major LCF Poster!

I have a photo of myself in Italy wearing a size 8 Abercrombie & Fitch skirt that I thought I would NEVER be able to wear again. For some reason, though, my photo albums have disappeared... I don't even have the *option* in the User Control Panel for Photos & Albums anymore...

Does anyone know another way to upload photos for the forum? I'm thinking the albums may have disappeared because I've changed locations...?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #1947
Senior LCF Member

Laura, I feel your pain, child. I was miserable at my peak weight (and I don't even know what that was, because I wouldn't weigh until it had come down a bit), but I don't think I really looked at myself, or didn't let it register, because I didn't want to feel bad about something I thought I couldn't change. Then a couple days ago I stopped in at TJ Maxx to see if I could figure out what size I wear now, tried on a pair of jeans that were a good three or four sizes lower than the last clothes I bought, and thought... you look terrible. Look at that gut. Part of this is just stinkin' thinkin' and part of it is being in this hyper-body-conscious weight loss mode. It's just thoughts and feelings, they will pass, give yourself a break if you can.

Best,
Martha
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #1948
Senior LCF Member

On another subject -- I did a mild freakout this morning when I noticed that my resting heart rate was elevated for the second or third time in the last few days. (I googled around a little and some low carbers had scary things to say about arrhythmia and electrolytes and stuff.) My blood pressure has been up a hair, too. Now that I've gotten up and had my breakfast I've calmed down, but I am wondering if it's possible that 17 or 18 net carbs a day is a little too low for me. I would like to do another full week in "real" induction, but I've already had a three or four pound loss and wonder if I should go on into OWL. I hate to admit I'm so hooked on the quick loss, but I'm looking at my calendar and work load and just wanted to check this "goal weight" box before I had to shift my focus to other things. Seeing the scale go down -- that's seductive.

So the question is, is this just normal upset from transitioning and keto-adapting, and something I should just put up with, or is it is a signal that I've gotten myself into a less-than-healthy place and need to moderate? I'm going to take a rest day from my long walks and think about it.

Last edited by martha; 07-29-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: typo and something else to say
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #1949
Major LCF Poster!

Weird situation yesterday... I went out on my friends' friend's boat to swim in a cove on the island of Capri. I got into the water -- like normal -- and *tried* to start treading water BUT I SANK LIKE A STONE! Seriously, I had to shout for help. And the guy who was driving the boat had to throw in a lifesaver and jump into the water to save me. I was legit drowning!

I'm of Caribbean descent. So I've been swimming in deep water since, basically, birth. I've never had problems FLOATING! All I can think is that my body composition must have changed in a way that makes it more difficult for me to float. How weird is that?!

I wasn't heavy when I was younger, though, and I could always float/swim. So it *may not* have been because of my changed body composition... But this is the first time I have been in a swimming situation since I started Atkins and I couldn't swim to, literally, save my own life.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #1950
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
On another subject -- I did a mild freakout this morning when I noticed that my resting heart rate was elevated for the second or third time in the last few days. (I googled around a little and some low carbers had scary things to say about arrhythmia and electrolytes and stuff.) My blood pressure has been up a hair, too. Now that I've gotten up and had my breakfast I've calmed down, but I am wondering if it's possible that 17 or 18 net carbs a day is a little too low for me. I would like to do another full week in "real" induction, but I've already had a three or four pound loss and wonder if I should go on into OWL. I hate to admit I'm so hooked on the quick loss, but I'm looking at my calendar and work load and just wanted to check this "goal weight" box before I had to shift my focus to other things. Seeing the scale go down -- that's seductive.

So the question is, is this just normal upset from transitioning and keto-adapting, and something I should just put up with, or is it is a signal that I've gotten myself into a less-than-healthy place and need to moderate? I'm going to take a rest day from my long walks and think about it.
I don't know if this will help but, if the situation *is* the result of an electrolyte imbalance, then maybe taking one of the sugar-free electrolyte supplements like the kind that endurance athletes use would help correct this problem by stabilizing your internal chemistry.

You're losing weight quite quickly and a lot of the initial loss that results from cutting dietary carbohydrates is water loss, which flushes out electrolytes. Electrolyte imbalance impacts muscle protein synthesis, and the heart is a muscle. Electrolyte imbalance also impacts blood volume -- your body adjusts the volume of blood in circulation by adding or releasing water to keep your body's serum concentration of sodium within certain parameters -- so losing electrolytes can also impact cardiovascular performance.

*Weight* loss isn't the same thing as *fat* loss so, if you raise your carb level and lose a bit slower, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're losing *fat* at a slower rate. So you may be better off in the long run if you do what's best for your individual body and lose at a rate that feels most comfortable to you.
Closed Thread