Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #1891
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
The measurement around my chest is getting smaller, so I went down from a 42DD, to a 40DD and now that I'm a 38, my cup size INCREASED (the nice lady who measured me explained that it's calculated by mesuring the difference between the size of your chest where your underwire sits to the measurement around the largest part of your breasts. My ratio was 38 to 44, so that put me in a 38DDD.
They don't look NEARLY as large as that sounds. I look more like a C cup, but it's all relative to the rest of your body I think. I'm still overweight and have wide hips so it's still proportionate. I do wonder as I get smaller, say size 36 and 34 what my cup size will do. I have sagging all in my lower belly and thighs. Everything ABOVE the belly button has stayed firm so far.
I too am going to have sagging in my lower belly when it is all said in done. I was hoping that the girls would not sag too. I mean geez, that would me my entire front side is going to hanging down Southward. Uggggh, another visual I cant get out of my head.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #1892
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I just realized, it is my one year anniversary. Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement during my first year back on Atkins. I made some great progress. Still have some work to do, but am happy with what I achieved the first year.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #1893
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I guess this is the place for me, because I seem to be doing everything backwards. Before I started the Atkins WOE I had been eating very little meat, cheese or eggs for years, and lots of fruit, grains, veggies and legumes. Some fish, but not a ton. So this diet has been tough for me to adapt to and I have gradually, since late February, been removing carbs from my diet and managed to get from an average of about a hundred net a day down through the 70s, 60s, to the 50s and 40s. I lost weight all this time and that has been great, though sometimes I have been hungry and grumpy (I've counted calories, too.) But I've stayed with the plan and have committed no major "crimes." Well, then I hit the Mother of all Stalls and managed to drop to another level. I've had about a month in the 20s and 30s, and now I've just had my best week ever, right at 20 or 21 per day (low of 15, high of 25, net).

My food choices look like somebody in pre-maintenance (tiny amounts of oats and legumes in a few dishes, less than two ounces of berries a day, walnuts and almond butter almost every day. Lots of induction veggies and chicken, fish, eggs.)

So I did this backwards. But I lost 22 or 23 pounds, and have gradually been learning how to do it and radically rethinking my approach to food.

So today I am suddenly achy, sleepy, grouchy, and tired. Unusually thirsty. For the first time in forever, I have no particular interest in fixing myself a nice supper and think I'll just have an egg and lie down. (I love to cook.) Is it even possible to sort of "back into" ketosis and ketoadaptation this way? I have about another 8 or 9 pounds I'd like to lose, but I'd also like to be able to stop counting calories and let the "low-carb" aspect control my appetite. I'm doing moderate protein and about 65 to 70% fat.

Thanks for listening. Sorry I went on so long. I'm grateful for any insights on where I might be at exactly and what I should do next. I hope I put this post in the right place but I am Monster Dopey tonight and who knows...

Martha
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #1894
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Martha. Sounds like you have something that has been working for you. As far as stalls go, most people experience them. I am on a 10 week one right now. I have lost 85 pounds over the last 12 months. I had several weeks that I lost nothing for a week or two followed by big losses. It is hard when you don't lose and you start to rethink everything. Some times your body just needs to catch up. I also think it is easier when you have a proven system, like Atkins, when you have stalls at least you can rely on knowing the program has a long track record of success.

I would recommend that you stop restricting calories for a week and see what happens. How many calories a day are you eating right now? Most women on Atkins seem to be around 1,600 or so naturally, without any limitations. If you are significantly lower than that, it might explain the symptoms you are describing.

Also, how much water are you drinking? You should be drinking a ounce for every two pounds of body weight up to a gallon a day. So for someone your size you should be drinking around 58 ounces a day. It helps with weight loss. I loose when I drink water and don't when I skip water. With this much water you should never be thirsty.

Are you taking supplements? If not you need to do so.

I am sure others will have suggestions as well. Best of luck on your journey.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #1895
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Stevie. I like your comment, "Sometimes your body just needs to catch up." I also remind myself that my body also has its own agenda and may not remember or care that I really liked being smaller than I am right now. (I'm short and small-framed, so I'm not aiming for anything unreasonable, I don't think. I picked a weight from my late 30s and I'm in my 50s now.)

It's wonderful to have had the weight come off, the blood pressure drop, and the scary blood sugar symptoms go away. I'm exercising, too.

Most days I eat right around 1200 calories. Sometimes I just don't seem to need that much and sometimes I go over. I've been afraid to eat more because it seemed to be going ok. Until today -- and I wondered if I had suddenly backed my way into "induction flu" and was finally going to get into ketosis or something.

I fill a half-gallon pitcher of water about once a day and also drink some tea and coffee, so by your figures I should be about right on water. I drink more when I'm walking very much. I have not been taking supplements but just started reading about them. I need to go back to the books and brush up on what's recommended.

Thanks very much for the welcome and the help.

Martha
Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #1896
Senior LCF Member

PS -- 85 pounds in a year is awesome. Awesome.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #1897
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
STEVE YAY!!! You rock!!!!

So yesterday I started getting cramps in my back... today really bad calf "charlie horses". Yet I dropped 2# today to 209.4. Gonna up my sodium for a day and see if that helps. So not sure if my body just caught up or what. Silly body.

Really need to start a food log somewhere so I can see what I eat. I just make what sounds good with bbq done early in the week to have a go to food. I even make a plan before I go shopping and yet it always changes my brain thinks of something else I can make with what I have.

Yesterday had steaks that I bbqed leftover. Steve the roommate was going out of town, so between the steaks and the pork chops way too much food for me to eat by myself. Anyway I made a carna asada merinade and chopped the steaks all up. The whole office had a steak taco party last night. It was fun! Well until I had to punch one of the spotters for eating my second low carb tortilla, whole package of flour tortillas that I can't eat and he eats mine...
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #1898
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I just realized, it is my one year anniversary. Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement during my first year back on Atkins. I made some great progress. Still have some work to do, but am happy with what I achieved the first year.
Congratulations, Big Stevie!!!

Sticking to your plan for a year is a MAJOR accomplishment! You've done an amazing job!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #1899
Major LCF Poster!

So... I've been feeling pretty good about my strength and fitness. Until an elderly, German couple breezed past me while climbing Mt Vesuvius yesterday!

The incline of the trail was probably 30 degrees. And the path is all dry, volcanic dust. The temperature was 90, with no shade cover at our altitude. I was bent over at the waist, wheezing, with an absolute waterfall of sweat pouring off my body. And this couple -- who must be in their 70s -- absolutely put me to SHAME going up that path! I felt like a mug, literally eating their volcanic dust.

But I had to laugh and tip my hat to that couple for being in such fantastic shape! They honestly make me want to work harder on my cardio when I get home.

This is going to sound like a lame excuse, but I honestly think I was a bit dehydrated from all of the coffee I've been drinking... I was almost 100 pounds heavier when I trekked the High Atlas in Morocco two years ago, in 110-degree Saharan weather, and I had no problems on that trail even though some of the inclines on the High Atlas were much steeper than Vesuvius. Just sayin!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #1900
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
So... I've been feeling pretty good about my strength and fitness. Until an elderly, German couple breezed past me while climbing Mt Vesuvius yesterday!

This is going to sound like a lame excuse, but I honestly think I was a bit dehydrated from all of the coffee I've been drinking... I was almost 100 pounds heavier when I trekked the High Atlas in Morocco two years ago, in 110-degree Saharan weather, and I had no problems on that trail even though some of the inclines on the High Atlas were much steeper than Vesuvius. Just sayin!
Remember, just because you are good on a stationary bike or stair stepper in an air conditioned gym in Chicago, doesn't mean you are going to be good out in the real world on a hot day doing a different exercise. Not everything exorcise translates so easily. That German couple probably did that walk every day in similar conditions.

(Reminds me of going to Las Vegas to watch a world champion boxer from Ireland who fought in Vegas and it was a 110 degrees in the ring. He fought a Mexican guy from Texas. It was over before it ever started. The highest temp the Irish guy fought in before this fight was 75 degrees. The conditions just killed him. Although he was in shape enough to take it 15 rounds. But he was hospitalized for dehydration following the fight.)

Take dehydration very seriously. And yes, too much coffee will leave you dehydrated. Especially if you aren't used to it. My wife has issues with dehydration that along with her anemia can get pretty serious.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #1901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Technical Difficulties, but I'm still here!

Quote:
That's really sweet. I totally cannot imagine anyone being envious of my anything!

I knew you would do well and did anyone give you any dreaded "talks" about your WOE?

You're making fantastic progress

I forgot to weigh yesterday but I'm guessing I'm not down so I'm not in a huge rush to find out. I have been sick for so long now I'm just pissy about it really. I want to feel better again. I know it takes time but i'm not a patient person!!
Cmcd1070--I did well during camp, but on Sunday I had pizza with the hubs. I was stressed to the max--The financial aide office botched my enrollment form for this term, so I missed two summer classes--both of which are prerequisites for my fall and spring field teaching..So, I have to wait until NEXT summer to start my last year for my masters. It's super irritating. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise to have an unexpected year off? Either way, it's irritating and I ate pizza and now my scale is telling me I ate pizza and I'm mad at myself.

During my camping trip, I had a few "pork rinds are so gross" remarks and a few, "well, what will you do when it stops working? I've seen people gain back twice the weight blah blah blah" But I just reminded myself that women are catty, I look better in my bathing suit than I have in years, and that pork rinds are acceptable "chips" to dip into tuna salad, and I went on my merry little way.

I've GOT to really watch myself on the emotional eating spectrum. It's so easy for me to say, A PEANUT BUTTER DONUT WILL MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! because that initial rush of cheating on my diet because "i don't care" is replaced with, "Omg, what did I do that for?!"

Also, I notice that when I slip up big time and eat way too much sugary/starchy things *which really doesn't happen as much as I feel like it happens* my fingers go numb.

Does anyone else experience this? I don't have health insurance, so I'm not able to get any type of screening, but I'm pretty sure it's got to be diabetes related. Or at least that's where my catastrophic brain takes me in the morning when I'm experiencing tingling sensations in all of my fingers.

I hope that you're feeling better CMCD. I'm really rooting for you!

Stevie--the coconut oil is a GOD send. I'm so thankful that you encouraged it. It makes me feel flushed out and "cleaner" if that makes sense.

LOL@ Laura and Trillex at the shoe posts--I'm a shoe hoarder, TOO. I think it's definitely something about keeping up with the swag even when the swaggerific clothing doesn't seem to come in my size. (One day, I'll show that swaggerific clothing! haha.)

I'm baaack from a week hiatus! My neighborhood had a tower down and my wifi was kaput.

Hope everyone has a fabulous Tuesday! I'll hold myself accountable and post what my weight is TOMORROW because the pizza and I are still fighting.

*One day at a time, right?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #1902
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissG View Post

Men and their fat burning abilities. blugh....
MissG and CMCD--I experience the same frustration! My DH has yo-yo'ed our entire relationship, and he's not on my low carb band wagon (yet). We did a portion control diet once, and HE LOST 40 POUNDS IN THREE MONTHS, and I lost a measly 15!!

I was happy for him and excited that he'd done so well..but he took the praise and the initial loss and lost his motivation because "40 pounds was enough." He looked SMOKIN. But then he gained it all back and then some.

He's so anti low-carb that I can't get him started. The thought of not eating cereal for breakfast is terrifying to him, so I'm just chalking it up to low-carb not being the WOE for him. It's sort of sucky because he answers stress with food..and so when I'm stressed, he's the first one that says, well...let's go out of the house somewhere to get your mind off of it..and then I eat pizza (see previous post) and then I get mad.

I've vowed for the rest of the month to do meat and eggs and some fat bombs, just so I can sort of "restart" myself because I was letting myself eat some nuts here and there, and I think it helped me spiral into, "well, I've been doing so good...."

He had been going to our local Y and had lost 10 pounds--but an injury to his shoulder from work caused him to stop and lose any to desire to go back to the gym to lift for the last month. For both of us, it's such a fine line between "encouraging healthy choices" and "pressuring to lose weight." Both of us are TEEMING with body insecurities, so if I prompt too much, or say, "are you sure you really want to...." or "how about THIS for lunch instead..." he takes it to heart and feels like he's already failing.

It's a dance. I'm hoping that one day he'll be ready to get serious. I have terrible irrational fears that we won't make it to see our 50's. He's 6'2'' and weighs 350. He carries his weight well and I think he's the cutest and best DH I could ever imagine living the rest of my life with--but I know he wants to lose weight and just doesn't know how to incorporate weight loss techniques into his life without feeling like he'll eventually fail.

I'd LOVE some pointers on making him feel motivated and "worth it," without making him feel inadequate or incapable if anyone's got them! I know that LC is NOT the WOE for him--but it's hard to strategize meal plans for the both of us since I can eat so much fat and he's still so stuck on his sandwiches and cookies.

Sorry for the book! :-)

Thanks for listening, everyone!

I LOVE this board, and I've only been here a short while. It feels like a buddy system to me, and I NEED to know that other people are struggling through the struggle, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #1903
Senior LCF Member

and congratulations Big Stevie!!! I've posted so many words right in a row, and I figured two posts was PLENTY, but I went back up and read your post, and I HAD to respond--I second Trillex--85 pounds in a year is AWESOME!! Yay! You're so close!

and HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! You guys are truly inspiration to me! Keep up all of your hard work!!

And Trillex--I feel like if I told YOU that I was pouring sweat while hiking Mt. Vesuvius and an elderly couple breezed right past, you would say something along the lines of "WHO CARES ABOUT THAT ELDERLY COUPLE!? YOU JUST CLIMBED MOUNT VESUVIUS!" and you'd proceed the fanfare. Up your cardio all you want, but give credit when it's due, girlfran! You climbed Mt. Vesuvius! :-)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #1904
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Congrats on your anniversary Big Stevie!! That's awesome weight loss!! You must be very proud of yourself, you SHOULD be! Thank you for staying here and encouraging us and being the words of wisdom and experience.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #1905
Senior LCF Member

Mt. Vesuvius?? How freakin cool is THAT?? I'm so jealous!! What was the elevation gain on that?

I hike a LOT, that is my drug of choice. I LIVE to hike. But I get passed up by little old people all the time. Some of those little old people are in spectacular shape. Like Jack Lalane!

Would you feel bad if Jack Lalane outlifted you at the gym?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #1906
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Happy anniversary...awesome job stevie
And grateful..i had to laugh, too....hahaha as I was climbing mount vesuvius!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #1907
Senior LCF Member

My body is finally starting to bounce back after being sick and stopping induction for a few days. I take my BBT every morning and it was really interesting to see how my temps whacked out while I was not low carbing. They would vary by more than a full degree from one day to the next. I marked on my calendar the date I started induction again and you can CLEARLY see that my temps immediately began to stabelize. Now they only vary .2 degrees from one day to the next. And my cycle got whacked too. I normally have 29-30 day cycles and ovulate around day 16-18. I didn't O until CD 29 this month because of a few days of "bananas, applesauce, dry toast and crackers". AMAZING!

So for a few days of the Dr Rx BRAT diet, I got the following:

scale increase by 4lbs
delayed ovulation
menstral cycle length increase by 10 days

As of Sunday I lost half the weight I gained this month. It was so quick to come back and so slow to come back off.

I'm looking forward to a 6 mile hike this weekend. I hope it's the bump I need to drop that extra 2 lbs!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #1908
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
Does anyone else experience this? I don't have health insurance, so I'm not able to get any type of screening, but I'm pretty sure it's got to be diabetes related. Or at least that's where my catastrophic brain takes me in the morning when I'm experiencing tingling sensations in all of my fingers.
Yup, in my fingers, my leg and foot. Some nights the sensation was so strong it would wake me out of my sleep. I was insured at that time. My Dr. said I was pre-diabetic. Scared the crap out of me and forced me to reassess what was important, eating food that taste good with reckless abandon vs. getting my rear in gear and taking control on my health. I chose to start low-carbing for life. I am now uninsured and don't have Dr. to follow-up with, however, the numbness occurs few and far between now.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1909
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/157.6/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Congrats BigSteve: It is awesome you have done so well. It is encouraging to me to know this journey can happen and you are proof and this gives me the will to keep going. Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1910
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/157.6/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
I wish I could climb any hill. I have extremely bad knees and walking is hard enough.;
Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #1911
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Trill, you are amazing and so inspiring!!! You are AWESOME!!!

Stevie, although I don't post on this thread much, I do read it, and find you to be a constant source of inspiration!

Laura, are you taking Potassium? That may help with the calf cramps.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Will get some when I go into town again. The salt seems to have helped short term.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #1913
Senior LCF Member

And BOOM, I fall off the stall and drop almost two pounds. Whew. What a relief. I was afraid I was at the end of the line.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #1914
Senior LCF Member

As promised (to myself and you guys) I weighed in today with slight terror after my pizza fiasco. On Saturday, I weighed in at 239.8. On Sunday I had a pizza fiasco where I ate like 5 pieces and topped it off with icecream for dessert. I immediately felt guilty and awful. Monday mornings weigh in was 246.6. (LIKE 7 POUNDS!) Monday and Tuesday I upped my water, increased my fat and didn't budge from the induction list (primarily meat and eggs).

Wednesday morning weigh in: 240.6. (1 pound gained over all). I still feel bloaty and lethargic though..and I know that i'm walking out relatively unscathed from my "relapse" since I only gained 1 pound overall, but I also know that it was a close call. One day at a time, one day at a time, one day at a time.

Last week of July goal: Get back to 239.

August goal: Increase physical activity to any extent and get to 235. Is that realistic?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #1915
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the love. I have been feeling a bit down for being stuck at the same weight for so long. I am glad I have inspired a few folks. It is simply of matter of staying on plan, and you will get there.

Grateful Love, don't be so hard on yourself. But do realize when you make choices like those, it takes several days to get back into ketosis. That is why people who go off plan frequently don't do well on this diet. Think about it, if it takes you three or four days to get back into ketosis and you cheat once a week, you only get one or two days of ketosis a week instead of seven. So you not only gain from the extra calories you took in, but you don't loose because you are not in ketosis. (trust me, I am not meaning to single you out, each and every one of us have committed this mistake, including myself.)

When I want pizza, I just pull off the top and leave the bread behind. The only issue with that is that you can go through a large number of pieces before you are full so buy extra so the rest of your family isn't left hungry.

Yeah, 235 is more than realistic. I think you can get to 230 by the end of August if you stay on task, work out a little, and drink a gallon of water a day.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-24-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #1916
Major LCF Poster!

HaHa! Thanks for calling me out on my nonsense, you guys! Mt Vesuvius IS magnificent -- beautiful twins whose presence dominates the Bay of Naples. We had a gorgeous Napoletano day and I could *feel* why so many generations have loved (and feared) this volcano.

I was with a Napoletano friend and he actually laid down on the trail at one point and said, "I can't breathe! I need a cigarette or I can't finish this." HaHa!

Quote:
Mt. Vesuvius?? How freakin cool is THAT?? I'm so jealous!! What was the elevation gain on that?
Vesuvius actually isn't that tall! It's currently about 4,000 feet. Before the explosion in AD 79, it was a single cone of about 8,000 feet. But the famous explosion wasn't a lava eruption, it was an ash explosion that blew the top half of the mountain completely off the cone. So the top half of old Vesuvius became a second mountain that now sits next to the base of the original.

The lower levels are a lovely trek, with lots of lush tree cover. The mountain is adjacent to the bay so it's a lovely, breezy walk on those lower paths. And most of the mountain has very modest inclines. The last 1,000 feet have no shade cover, though, so that's the part that got me. And the terrain at the top of the main mountain is made up of the granular ash that blew out of the mountain, so I tasted dust and grit (and what I'm pretty sure was demonic brimstone) for the last 1,000 feet. I've trekked on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea in Hawai'i, which didn't have this type of ash. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea still have lava eruptions, which harden into solid masses of beautiful black rock so they weren't as *dusty* and I never felt like I was breathing pumice.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #1917
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Trill, you are amazing and so inspiring!!! You are AWESOME!!!

Stevie, although I don't post on this thread much, I do read it, and find you to be a constant source of inspiration!

Laura, are you taking Potassium? That may help with the calf cramps.
I'm so glad your surgery went well Mother Goose! You've were an absolute STAR at getting through the stuff you had to deal with.

And 65 pounds in 5 months is A LOT! So I think you should definitely be psyched about your progress because most people -- including me -- don't move as quickly. You go, girl!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #1918
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Grateful Love, don't be so hard on yourself. But do realize when you make choices like those, it takes several days to get back into ketosis. That is why people who go off plan frequently don't do well on this diet. Think about it, if it takes you three or four days to get back into ketosis and you cheat once a week, you only get one or two days of ketosis a week instead of seven. So you not only gain from the extra calories you took in, but you don't loose because you are not in ketosis. (trust me, I am not meaning to single you out, each and every one of us have committed this mistake, including myself.)

When I want pizza, I just pull off the top and leave the bread behind. The only issue with that is that you can go through a large number of pieces before you are full so buy extra so the rest of your family isn't left hungry.

Yeah, 235 is more than realistic. I think you can get to 230 by the end of August if you stay on task, work out a little, and drink a gallon of water a day.
I think this is really good advice. I would like to add, though, that I think it might be helpful to think of the *consequences* that come with food -- and not just about the consequences that are specifically related to fat gain or fat loss. As CMCD has noted, the way you choose to eat affects your overall body chemistry. So before you eat something, it might help to think about what you're *doing to your internal chemistry* rather than thinking about how something is going to taste or about whether or not the food will make you gain or lose pounds. At the end of the day, any diet is about maintaining a balance. If you don't find a way to CONSISTENTLY maintain the appropriate balance for your plan, then you won't have a great outlook for sticking with that plan long enough to reach your goal.

Also, I would like to say that sometimes you have to love yourself enough to say, "NO!" People on the forum frequently tell those who have fallen off the wagon that "Everybody cheats from time to time." But that doesn't have to be the case. I haven't eaten off plan since I started this program, and it's been longer than a year. Because I think my body is like my toddler-aged child. And to love that child, I can't give her everything she *wants* because she sometimes wants things that aren't good for her. I wouldn't give my two year old child a gun if she wanted one to play with, so I'm not going to give my body a pizza just because my body thinks it will have a good time eating the pizza.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #1919
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the love. I have been feeling a bit down for being stuck at the same weight for so long.
I'm sure you already know this... But I want to say that it's not about how many pounds (or even inches) you're losing at any given time. It's about consistency and sticking with what you know that you need to do. Eating less than you burn, over time, will remove the excess fat from your body. The basic math and physics will always be on your side when you're doing what you need to do.

The scale doesn't always show a direct line of progress. But the fundamentals will always pay off for you, even while you don't *see* it happening.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #1920
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Keepingawake
Stats: 310/260/200
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
HaHa! Thanks for calling me out on my nonsense, you guys! Mt Vesuvius IS magnificent -- beautiful twins whose presence dominates the Bay of Naples. We had a gorgeous Napoletano day and I could *feel* why so many generations have loved (and feared) this volcano.

I was with a Napoletano friend and he actually laid down on the trail at one point and said, "I can't breathe! I need a cigarette or I can't finish this." HaHa!

Vesuvius actually isn't that tall! It's currently about 4,000 feet. Before the explosion in AD 79, it was a single cone of about 8,000 feet. But the famous explosion wasn't a lava eruption, it was an ash explosion that blew the top half of the mountain completely off the cone. So the top half of old Vesuvius became a second mountain that now sits next to the base of the original.

The lower levels are a lovely trek, with lots of lush tree cover. The mountain is adjacent to the bay so it's a lovely, breezy walk on those lower paths. And most of the mountain has very modest inclines. The last 1,000 feet have no shade cover, though, so that's the part that got me. And the terrain at the top of the main mountain is made up of the granular ash that blew out of the mountain, so I tasted dust and grit (and what I'm pretty sure was demonic brimstone) for the last 1,000 feet. I've trekked on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea in Hawai'i, which didn't have this type of ash. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea still have lava eruptions, which harden into solid masses of beautiful black rock so they weren't as *dusty* and I never felt like I was breathing pumice.

All I have to say is that I hope that dust is low carb. I'm going to check on that for you

It sounds like you are having a blast on your trip! Have fun!!
Closed Thread