Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #1831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I use the coconut oil to cook with. There seems to be coconut oil with and without flavoring. What I mean, is they add lots or little flavor to the food not artificially flavored. So you may want to try a couple of brands.

A lot of people add coconut oil to their morning coffee. (Be careful if you do this, the oil traps the heat in the coffee and I tend to burn my mouth when I do this unless I blow on it before each drink.)

The way I use it most, is just taking a teaspoon full each morning. When I take it, I seem to be satisfied all day and never tend to get hungry.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #1832
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
I'm also kind of worried about the "but all that fat can't be good for you!" and the "do you even LIKE celery?" kind of talk that I'm going to experience.
You sound VERY prepared for your trip, good job!! =) Everyone else is probably going to want to eat YOUR food, rather than the reverse!

I worried about that same thing when I took a trip to CA in April. I worried how I would respond to turning down the specialty ordered cupcakes and catering at the reception. I got very good advice from this group on how to respond to those kinds of talks.

But as it turned out, everyone was so busy doing their own thing, no one even noticed that I didn't eat the carbs, that my plate only had proteins and fats. No one noticed I didn't eat those expensive designer cupcakes. It was a total NON issue, thankfully!! I felt pretty silly afterwards, thinking everyone would be so overly concerned with what I was doing. =)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #1833
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Awesome Trillex. Though I am sure that last drop was done the hard way!

I went to the doctor for the first time since starting Atkinsa couple weeks back. Went back and got the test results today.

I am out of the diabetes range! Blood sugar is well within the normal range!

When I went a couple weeks ago, my blood pressure was low. So I have taken half doses of my blood pressure medicine over the past three weeks and my blood pressure is still normal. I will be completely off blood pressure meds within the next couple of months

Lost 82 pounds since last visit

The only bad news is my cholesterol is high. I don't understand it and don't have any previous data to compare it to. So for now I need to educate myself on the subject.
CONGRATULATIONS on the health improvements! Losing weight is great but improved health is VITAL!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #1834
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskb View Post
Trillex - WOW is all I can say! You have done an outstanding job and look amazing! I have a friend who had by pass surgery and it took her the same amount of time to lose the same amount of weight. After talking to her she really was on a low carb diet. Her doctor emphasized on protein, protein, protein.
I honestly *feel* like I haven't lost weight particularly quickly, since most of the women on the forum who started at approximately my starting weight lost pounds a lot more quickly than I did, especially during the first few months. Sadly, though, a lot of them seem to quit after losing 40 or 50 pounds. So I feel like the best thing that has happened to me has been simply sticking with the plan for the long term.

I'm also very grateful that I'm surrounded by bodybuilders who *forced* me to educate myself about the fundamentals of fat loss, and who helped me to focus on losing "bodyfat" rather than losing "weight." Because since I've been back in Chicago, the gym I'm working out at has quite a few men and women who have lost "weight" and are now significantly smaller but these men and women don't have the thigh muscle "cuts" and arm muscle "cuts" and shoulder development that I've had since losing bodyfat. I couldn't appreciate the difference between losing "fat" and losing "weight" 6 months ago. But now that I'm closer to goal, I can see what a huge difference there is between "becoming smaller" and "getting into shape."
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #1835
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
You sound VERY prepared for your trip, good job!! =) Everyone else is probably going to want to eat YOUR food, rather than the reverse!

I worried about that same thing when I took a trip to CA in April. I worried how I would respond to turning down the specialty ordered cupcakes and catering at the reception. I got very good advice from this group on how to respond to those kinds of talks.

But as it turned out, everyone was so busy doing their own thing, no one even noticed that I didn't eat the carbs, that my plate only had proteins and fats. No one noticed I didn't eat those expensive designer cupcakes. It was a total NON issue, thankfully!! I felt pretty silly afterwards, thinking everyone would be so overly concerned with what I was doing. =)
I actually just did what Big Stevie advised you to do before you went on your trip. I've just bought a box of Quest bars to take with me on the plane. I haven't eating any of the low-carb bars before now, but I figured I should be prepared to have an option for situations in which there's nothing but junk food available to me.

While traveling from Michigan to Chicago, I got stuck at the airport and then got stuck in the plane on the runway for a few hours and I was fine. I didn't get hungry even though I went more than 24 hours without eating because I didn't have access to appropriate food. But I think a lot of the stress killed my appetite in that situation, so I feel like having the bars will be a good option if I find myself in another situation where I have to go a day without access to *real* food. I'm sure I'll have access to appropriate meat and veggies while I'm in Istanbul and in Italy. But the flight and airport time might present more of a challenge, just as it presented a challenge while traveling from Michigan to Chicago.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #1836
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's exactly it Trillex. I have zero objection to anyone else's WOE. I somehow managed to raise a vegetarian (not vegan). I just think it is an abuse of power as a Dr to try to convince, coerse or intimidate someone else into changing their way of eating to suit your own beliefs.

When I started seeing this Dr I was over 230 lbs and growing. I had a LOT of health problems. I was on at least a dozen different medications. Now I'm off every single medication but one, and it is not for anything related to my weight or co-morbidities. I could barely get off the couch most days (except for work, and even then I was always taking sick days) Now I'm climbing 14,000 ft + mountains and Friday was the first sick day I've taken in a long long time.

But still he remains unconvinced that this WOE works for me and will not support my decision to remain on Atkins. And I'm mad at myself that it was so easy for me to believe that my WOE caused me to be that sick. After all this time, I should know better.
You are a fabulous, STRONG woman -- climbing mountains! I hope you're giving yourself the credit you deserve!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1837
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
My nice panties that were so cute on ,but I was too fat to wear, fit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
Go, Laura!!! I hope you're wearing your *cute* panties with lots of SASHAY!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #1838
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Oh made the greatest "mock" mac and cheese this morning. I had a smoked cheddar in the fridge and a bit of cream cheese. I used florets but next time I'll do the riced cauliflower again. I just think it tasted better that way. I might have eaten more than I needed but was soooooooooooooooo
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #1839
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: calmlywilde
Stats: 231/194/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 18/06/2013
@cmcd1070:

I had my gallbladder out in January 2013 after lots of attacks and eventually an infection. I had been on a low cal/low fat diet pretty much my whole life, so your diet doesn't necessarily explain it!

Now that I've had time to do some research, I wish I didn't have to get it removed. I gained 10kg (22lbs), got chronic indigestion and continued to have attacks! Going onto the Atkins Induction is what has *fixed* me.

Before you change things too much, try googling "gallbladder cleanse" and give it a try
Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #1840
Senior LCF Member

OMG Trillex!! You are SOOOO skinny!! Look at your arms!! OOOOHHH, I have ARM ENVY in addition to Collarbone Envy!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #1841
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Calmly! I absolutely will do that! I'm so sorry you're continuing to have problems even after having it removed, that really stinks =(
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #1842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Holy cow Trillix, you look tiny! I have envy!

You have done an AMAZING job! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #1843
Senior LCF Member

Over the last 10 weeks or so, I have only lost 2 pounds. I guess my body is where it wants to be, at least for now. I want another 15 pounds for sure, which would put me below 200. I am now going to start watching the calories and working out more. With my cholesterol numbers being high, I am going to rethink my protein options and the amount of butter and heavy cream I have been using. My one year anniversary is coming up in 10 days. Time to get to my goal.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-13-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1844
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Quote:
OMG Trillex!! You are SOOOO skinny!! Look at your arms!! OOOOHHH, I have ARM ENVY in addition to Collarbone Envy!!!
@cmcd1070--I'm saying the same thing about you, girl! And I'm definitely not climbing any mountains----yet? Be so so proud of yourself!

I hope I quoted this correctly--I'm still learning.

I had a great time camping! I swam and hiked, and walked my little pekingese fluff ball, and sat around a fire, and remembered to look up at the stars because living in the city so long has made me forget how pretty they are!

I didn't stray from my foods. I did have a few more rum and diet cokes than I should have, though.. I ate more eggs and tuna in the last 3 days than I had in weeeeeeks, and when I weighed myself this morning, I was down to 239.8 from 242.6.

It was INCREDIBLE to expect a disappointment on the scale and see something validating and reinforcing.

You guys are super encouraging! I'm already grateful that I'm here, and I've only been chit chatting like a week!

Last edited by Grateful_Love; 07-13-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #1845
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Oh and exciting news!!!!!!!!! Steve this is the part where you go LA LA LA LA... and avert your eyes. My nice panties that were so cute on ,but I was too fat to wear, fit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the undies!! Best feeling ever!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #1846
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the support, girls!!!

I'm hoping my current level of progress will inspire me to stay on track during vacation. My (new) trainer has been working with me on "bodyweight" exercises that I can do without weights while I'm traveling. So I have some great tools to support my continued progress! But It's up to me to stay strong and continue to do the work.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #1847
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Over the last 10 weeks or so, I have only lost 2 pounds. I guess my body is where it wants to be, at least for now. I want another 15 pounds for sure, which would put me below 200. I am now going to start watching the calories and working out more. With my cholesterol numbers being high, I am going to rethink my protein options and the amount of butter and heavy cream I have been using. My one year anniversary is coming up in 10 days. Time to get to my goal.
You're VERY CLOSE to goal, Big Stevie! But I think your most impressive accomplishment has been staying strong and sticking with the program for a year. Your persistence has truly been inspiring.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #1848
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
@cmcd1070--I'm saying the same thing about you, girl! And I'm definitely not climbing any mountains----yet? Be so so proud of yourself!

I had a great time camping! I swam and hiked, and walked my little pekingese fluff ball, and sat around a fire, and remembered to look up at the stars because living in the city so long has made me forget how pretty they are!

I didn't stray from my foods. I did have a few more rum and diet cokes than I should have, though.. I ate more eggs and tuna in the last 3 days than I had in weeeeeeks, and when I weighed myself this morning, I was down to 239.8 from 242.6.

It was INCREDIBLE to expect a disappointment on the scale and see something validating and reinforcing.

You guys are super encouraging! I'm already grateful that I'm here, and I've only been chit chatting like a week!
Congratulations for staying on plan! That's a great accomplishment and you should be SUPER proud of yourself!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #1849
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

That's really sweet. I totally cannot imagine anyone being envious of my anything!

I knew you would do well and did anyone give you any dreaded "talks" about your WOE?

You're making fantastic progress

I forgot to weigh yesterday but I'm guessing I'm not down so I'm not in a huge rush to find out. I have been sick for so long now I'm just pissy about it really. I want to feel better again. I know it takes time but i'm not a patient person!!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #1850
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Trill!!!!!
You.

Look.

MAHHHHvalous!!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #1851
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
My trainer has me reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance -- it's about how a low carb / ketogenic diet can support athletic performance. I read the chapter about fats and want to share something that I found interesting...

A little while ago, Big Stevie had an upset stomach -- I'm not sure if it was a bug or what caused his tummy upset -- but I had been having some stomach issues wherein I felt *greasy* by the end of the day. I didn't feel sick, but my stomach felt uncomfortably like a big bag of grease by the time I went to bed. I assumed that this feeling was just a natural result of my Atkins induction diet being 65-75% fat each day.

But this book cites a study of long-distance cyclists who were sequestered and put on a very low carb (~1%) / very high fat (~80%) diet (with a stable protein level that equalled 1.5g / kg of lean body mass) and they found that ALL (not just some) of the study participants had queasiness or a general feeling of discomfort when they ate foods that contained a substantial percentage of polyunsaturated fats (like soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil). When they removed the foods that had a high concentration of polyunsaturated oils (like soybean-based mayonnaise) the study participants stopped having this uncomfortable feeling, which the book describes as "they just said that they didn't feel completely well after eating them."

The program directors initially switched the brand of mayonnaise, but they study participants still had this feeling. So the program directors removed the foods that had high ratios of polyunsaturated fats and replaced them with foods high in saturated and/or monounsaturated fat, after which the participants stopped having this feeling of discomfort.

I had been eating a lot of full-fat, soybean oil-based mayonnaise -- chicken salad with mayo, salmon salad with mayo, steak with a blue cheese & mayo sauce, grilled catfish with spicy chipotle mayo, etc. So last week, I cut the mayo and made some olive oil based dressings (monounsaturated fat) and butter based sauces (saturated fat) to use instead, and I no longer have that *greasy* feeling. My fat ratio and calories are still in the same range, but I no longer feel greasy.

Just FYI, in case someone some of you other newbies also had this *greasy* feeling.

I know this post is almost a year old but the info is invaluable. I am eating a ton of mayo! I love that stuff, always have but I have never eaten as much as I do now. My stomach has been upset but I couldn't figure out why this may be the answer to my problem.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #1852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
I know this post is almost a year old but the info is invaluable. I am eating a ton of mayo! I love that stuff, always have but I have never eaten as much as I do now. My stomach has been upset but I couldn't figure out why this may be the answer to my problem.
I think we all get that feeling to some degree when we first make the conversion from a sugar based diet to a fat based diet. You need to find out what works for you and what doesn't to be succesful on this or any other diet. I really ate a limited diet at the start and slowly added things trying to figure out what did and didn't work for me. Mayo is one that I have to watch. I had never been a mayo fan, but since being on the diet, I have learned to love it.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-16-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #1853
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
I think we all get that feeling to some degree when we first make the conversion from a sugar based diet to a fat......... Mayo is one that I have to watch.
Im almost six months in and down 40 lbs so I haven't just started. How long does it take? I think a better question would be how long did it take you? I know we are all individuals but I can use your experience as a barometer. Also, why do you have to watch mayo?

I purchased an olive oil based mayo so I will see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1854
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissG
Stats: 273/ 254 /170
WOE: Olivia's WOE
Start Date: Jan 6th 2014
Ok, So I was just "lurking" and I want to say WOWWWWWZERZ to Trillex!
You have completely rocked this woe!

Hello Everyone....I think I may join your thread! I'm far from a newbie but I think some new faces and convo may help me get my butt back in gear.

My names Olivia and I'm a carboholic! Well I'm tryna get that under control right now lol

Hope everyones having a wonderful day!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #1855
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissG View Post
Ok, So I was just "lurking" and I want to say WOWWWWWZERZ to Trillex!
You have completely rocked this woe!

Hello Everyone....I think I may join your thread! I'm far from a newbie but I think some new faces and convo may help me get my butt back in gear.

My names Olivia and I'm a carboholic! Well I'm tryna get that under control right now lol

Hope everyones having a wonderful day!
It's great seeing you, Olivia! You're such a nice, positive, fun person. I remember you from the Induction Challenge thread. And also from an inspiring 8-week challenge thread that you and some other great girls participated in.

It's good to see you back on the forum! I hope you'll stick with us -- the Induction Babies TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. HaHa!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1856
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I hope it helps! I absolutely HATED that *greasy* feeling! I was super glad when stopping the mayo relieved my tummy.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #1857
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
Trill!!!!!
You.

Look.

MAHHHHvalous!!!!!
You are a ROCKSTAR for making goal, lady! Congratulations!!! You've been my inspiration since I started. Because you're constantly proving what's possible.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #1858
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
I dont 'love' mayo, but we've started getting an American style one here thats tolerable, and fairly LOC if I watch portion sizes. I use it sometimes as an alternative to melted butter on my boiled eggs.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #1859
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Olivia. Great to have ya join us.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #1860
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Im almost six months in and down 40 lbs so I haven't just started. How long does it take? I think a better question would be how long did it take you? I know we are all individuals but I can use your experience as a barometer. Also, why do you have to watch mayo?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. For me, those feeling went away fairly quickly, about a month or less, so I assumed you were new. I watch mayo because some time it gives me a bad stomach. But I am sensitive to a lot of things. This way of eating really helped me to focus on the food I was eating and how each affected my mind, body, and weight loss. I did a lot of trial and error in the beginning months. If you have been doing this awhile and still have those feelings, you need to make some changes until those feelings go away.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 07-17-2013 at 12:02 AM..
Closed Thread