Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #1801
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I know LCHF is an easy target for a health professional to target, it does irritate me that they are ignoring basic physiology when they do it. Im a vet nurse, and I can see how LCHF is beneficial and more natural, why cant they? (Sorry pet peeve)

From Wikipedia: When food containing fat enters the digestive tract, it stimulates the secretion of cholecystokinin (CCK). In response to CCK, the adult human gallbladder, which stores about 50 millilitres (1.7 U.S. fl oz; 1.8 imp fl oz) of bile, releases its contents into the duodenum. The bile, originally produced in the liver, emulsifies fats in partly digested food.

During storage in the gallbladder, bile becomes more concentrated which increases its potency and intensifies its effect on fats.

From The Diet Doctor: The usual medical belief today is that fatty food can result in gall stones. This is because what happens if you already have gallstones in the gallbladder and eat fat: A gallstone can get stuck on the way to the intestines and give you a gallstone attack (pain in the top right part of your stomach).

The conventional advice is thus to eat low fat – and take pain killers if you get a gallstone attack. If the attacks continue the gallbladder is removed by routine surgery and the problem usually goes away. Probably with the side effect of slightly decreased ability to absorb fat and nutrients from what you eat (there is a reason we have gallbladders).

The conventional low fat advice rarely makes gallstone disease go away. Instead it often gets worse with time, until surgery is necessary. That is hardly a coincidence.

From Dr Eades blog: If very few fatty meals come down the tract—for example, if the owner of the GI tract is following the Ornish or other low-fat diet—the bile sits around in the gall bladder, unsquirted. The liver continues to make bile, but slows down a little in its production. The cholesterol component of the bile tends to become more concentrated with time and can ultimately become supersaturated and precipitate as a small cholesterol gallstone (cholesterol accounts for 80-90% of gallstones). If the stone stays in the gall bladder, it typically doesn’t pose a problem. The problem arises when the stone makes its way into and occludes the bile duct, or, even worse, if it travels further and blocks the common duct. In either case, terrible, colicky pain ensues ending up with a trip to the surgeon.

Basically I suggest you google it and definatly look at those snippets I posted there ^^^ A laymans summery is if you dont eat fat, the bile salts concentrate in the gallbladder because they're not in use. Over time they concentrate and then when finally put into action, tended to have concentrated to the point of becoming thicker and containing solids.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #1802
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
I am recommitting myself to Atkins again today. I have fallen off this wagon so many times and tried different things but this is really the one WOE that I have ever lost any weight. I know this yet I try and find other lifestyles that will do the same thing for me. I love my sweets and think that is what steers me in the wrong direction so I am going to try and not have any at all. It will be hard but when I do make a low carb sweet snack I can't be trusted so just best to stay away.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #1803
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
So, wrench in the plans. I have been really sick all week. After 4 days, I was debating going to the ER but sucked it up and waited until Friday morning and got an emergency Dr's appt. By then I had a really high fever and I was in excruciating pain.

After extensive testing, my Dr decided that my high proteinfat diet had blown out my gallbladder. I have more testing to do next week to decide if I need to have my gallbladder removed. For now, he ordered no more Atkins. No animal products, no fat, no spices.

DEVASTATING.

I didn't even weigh today, what is the point?

I never heard anyone talk about Atkins causing gallbladder failure, have you?
Everything I know about weight loss surgery comes from a British documentary TV show called "Fat Doctor" so please forgive me if what I'm about to say is completely dumb and unhelpful...

Dr Somers (the surgeon on the show Fat Doctor) usually removes the gallbladder as part of the roux-en-y surgery in order to avoid future complications. According to Dr Somers, gallbladder problems happen when the body's digestive intake becomes so dramatically changed that the digestive system can't adequately adjust to the new balance of food intake. This isn't just a result of weight loss surgery, though, it apparently also commonly happens when people go back to eating meat after being a strict vegan for a long time or when someone becomes a strict vegan after eating meat for a long time. My dad belongs to a lot of vegan groups and the gallbladder situation comes up somewhat commonly.

And according to Dr Somers (from Fat Doctor), gallbladder problems are extremely common following WLS because people lose weight so fast, and their diets become so dramatically different, that the average gallbladder can't adjust quickly enough to the changes, which results in gallbladder complications. So Dr Somers routinely removes the gallbladder in order avoid risking additional surgery for his patients.

You've had weight loss surgery AND you changed your diet pretty dramatically when you and your husband recently moved to eating an organic, sustainable diet. What you were eating changed pretty dramatically when you moved to organics -- for example, you went from eating meat to a period of eating almost no meat because you weren't enjoying the organic meats -- so maybe you should let your doctor know the specifics of those changes because the new balance may be what threw your gallbladder out of whack.

I would also like to say that eating "low-carb" isn't the same thing as eating "high-fat." I'm not the kind of person who tells other people what to eat, so I would never tell anyone anywhere that they should eat what I eat. But for the record, my diet hasn't had much fat in it since I cut back my cheese consumption after the winter holidays. Except for the week while I was packing -- I ate a lot of cheese during that week -- but except for that week, I haven't had a single day with more than 50g fat. I've had a few days -- days when my meals have been built around scallops and fresh tuna, for example -- when my daily fat gram total has been as low as 10g. Typically, I've been at about 30g fat per day since January. I know that eating more fat seems to spur weight loss in people on the forum, but I definitely have NOT had to eat a lot of fat to continue losing pounds and inches at my body's standard rate. My fat loss progress has been extremely steady even though I don't eat much dietary fat. So, if you choose to lower your dietary fat intake, that doesn't mean your choice has to end your low-carb diet.

Your doctor said not to eat "meat" but if you can eat seafood, then I would be happy to share some of my menus, if that would help, because my diet is currently mostly seafood and I think it's quite delicious.

Also, for the record, the show "Fat Doctor" is available for free on Hulu if you want to see where my info came from.

Good luck, hon! HUGS! Your diet has already been so limited by the effects of WLS and your body has already had to make some complicated changes, so I reallyreallyreally hope your doctor can straighten out this situation without adding an additional burden to your life.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #1804
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskb View Post
I am recommitting myself to Atkins again today. I have fallen off this wagon so many times and tried different things but this is really the one WOE that I have ever lost any weight. I know this yet I try and find other lifestyles that will do the same thing for me. I love my sweets and think that is what steers me in the wrong direction so I am going to try and not have any at all. It will be hard but when I do make a low carb sweet snack I can't be trusted so just best to stay away.
Welcome back to Atkins!

I think you're totally right to completely cut out sweets, since they're your "trigger" food. I've never had a sweet tooth so I don't know if it works... But I've read that some people eat a sour pickle when they have a craving for sweets, and the pickle seems to kill the craving. I've also read that some people take a daily amino acid supplement called "glutamine" that seems to help with the cravings.

Good luck! And stick with it! I'm sure you'll feel much better when you've beaten this addiction.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #1805
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Wow even our star Trillex gets out of control!!! It is amazing how quickly we can all get out of control, just when I think I have this thing mastered, some life event will happen to throw me off my game. The key is to just get it back in control ASAP!
Let's see what happens while I'm on vacation! HaHa! July 2013 seems to be testing me to see if I can stay the course.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #1806
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Well I feel a LOT better after reading the posts in here about gallbladders and Atkins! I had read that people who have WLS tend to have higher rates of gallbladder removal, but since I never had a problem with it before, I figured I wouldn't be one of those people. PLUS... after surgery, there are generally 2 kinds of people - People who "dump" sugars and people who "dump" fats. I was a "fat dumping" person, which means my body does not tolerate fats, I get nauseous, cold sweats, the shakes, dizzy, usually vomit.

Do you remember when I was on a stall a couple of months ago and tried to do a Fat Fast?? It was a DISASTER. I was soooooooooo sick. So my diet tends to be pretty low in fat compared to other Inductees. I eat lean proteins. The only "fat" that I really have in my diet is from cheese and cream, avocados and olives, etc. which I really don't eat much of. So I was pretty surprised when he said my gallbladder!

To be quite honest, I trust the judgement of this group far more than my own doctor, especially since he has always frowned upon Atkins and tried to get me to go vegan last year. I think this was just another excuse to sway me to his WOE. I'm going directly back on Induction and he can just take my gallbladder if he's so bent on it!! (this is not my WLS Dr btw, my WLS was with Kaiser and I don't have Kaiser anymore. That Dr DID prescribe a low carb diet, which I told this Dr and he replied that not ALL WLS Dr's prescribe low carb).
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #1807
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome back! =)

I've been on and off Atkins as well. I am absolutely a sugar addict, so I cannot eat ANY sugar. None. It is a trigger and once I start I cannot stop. I weaned myself off slowly using artificial sweetners until I could stop even those. There were a lot of moments in the beginning where I just white-knuckled it through a craving, but honestly if you cut out all sugars completely, the cravings fade until they are gone completely. You can do it! We are here for you! Good luck!!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #1808
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Welcome back. The first week is hard. But make the total break from sugar. Once you do, you will feel better. Have plenty of food in your house and eat as much as you want. Don't let yourself get hungry during the transition from a carb filled diet to a low carb diet. Do not cheat. You need to accept, sugar is not your friend. I know, other people do it without issue. But if you were one of those people you wouldn't be here. I truely look at this just like an alcoholic looks a liquor, just a little is never acceptable. Good luck on your journey.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #1809
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress

Whoa, Nelly, it has been a heck of a month! Actually, it's been more than a month since my last progress update. So here's what happened in the last month + 1 week since I was last weighed and measured (on 31 May).

Monthly Weight History
11 May 2012: 235 pounds
11 June: 225 pounds
11 July: 215 pounds
11 August: 206.5 pounds
11 September: 198 pounds
11 October: 196.5 pounds
31 October: 189 pounds
30 November: 186.5 pounds
29 December: 181.5 pounds
31 January: 172.5 pounds
28 February: 167 pounds
31 March: 159.5 pounds
30 April: 156 pounds
11 May 2013: 152 pounds
31 May: 149.5 pounds
8 July (today): 141.5

Scale loss to date: 93.5 pounds

Measured Size Loss From 11 May 2012 To Today
Ankles: Left -1.25", Right -1.00"
Calves: Left -4.00", Right -3.75"
Thighs: Left -6.50", Right -6.25"
Hips: -10.00"
Waist: -8.75"
Upper Arms: Left -3.00", Right -2.50"
Wrists: Left -0.75", Right -1.00"

I'm currently in Chicago. So my weight was taken on a different scale from the scale on which all of my previous weights were taken. And my measurements were taken by a different trainer than the one who took all of my previous measurements. Both trainers are total pros -- I've known them both forever -- so I would stake my life that the measurements are correct.

But the scale weight may be misleading because: (1.) I was weighed in before today's workout and I haven't worked out for the past two weeks, so the level of hydration in my muscle tissue may be significantly lower; (2.) I had a colon-cleansing treatment at the hospital last week, as an emergency procedure, so I may be carrying less waste material than usual; (3.) I had three days where I didn't eat any food at all because I was sick for a few days and because I didn't have access to food while I was traveling to Chicago, so I don't really know what's going on with my metabolism right now; finally (4.) I weighed in on a totally different scale than I've previously used.

I'm currently 6.5 pounds from goal. Can you believe that?!?! I'm not *counting* on my current weight being accurate, though, because I think the layoff from training may have artificially lowered my scale weight. So, let's see how much I weigh one month from today when I weigh in on the day that I return from vacation.

I have continued to lose weight in my hips this month -- *sigh* -- which unfortunately reflects the continued flattening of my butt. But I did lose another quarter inch from my waist, which is encouraging. And I lost another inch from my left thigh. I am now a very comfortable misses size 6 -- I never thought I would say those words again -- so I can wear a gorgeous pair of jeans to Italy that one of my good friends gave me! My friend is a photo stylist and he begged for these jeans for me from the designer at a photo shoot -- they are SO baller and I'm super excited that I can actually wear them!

I don't have photos for this update because I'm spending the summer at my parents' house and I haven't figured out a way to tell my old school Haitian dad that I need to take photos of my body to post on the internet. He WILL freak out! And he will be completely convinced that a Law & Order: SVU-style stalker will see my photos and kill me in some weird crime because of the internet.

So I'm explain things to my dad tomorrow. And after I calm him down, I'll take pictures in my vacation swimsuit, to compare these photos to previous photos in a similar swimsuit. I'm excited to see the difference!

Cheers, all!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #1810
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Trillex, 93 POUNDS IS FANTASTIC! I am DREAMING of that day.

Thank you everyone for the fat bomb suggestions.

I thought I hit my first stall because the scale seemed to be going UP despite my continuous tracking and counting--but then, my lovely TOM popped up--and I realized I must have been retaining water. It's still not really *moving* down, but there are decimal points of change..so I'm hoping that things level out once my lovely visitor decides to GO.

I'm going camping (but not really camping, since we'll be in a cabin with electricity--but "camping" none the less) from Wednesday-Friday--so I won't have internet access. I'm a little nervous that I won't be able to stick to my regularly scheduled food intake, but I've prepared devilled eggs, tuna salad, burgers to grill, baked chicken (with the skin) heavy cream for my coffee, a whole big bowl of already scrambled eggs, and I've cut up some cheeses. I'm hopeful that I can fend off any cookies, smores, and pasta salads. I'm also hopeful that I can fend off bears and raccoons and other animals that live in the wild, but I'm less concerned about the animals than I am of creeping carb-y temptations.

Wish me luck, guys!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #1811
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Welcome back to Atkins!

I think you're totally right to completely cut out sweets, since they're your "trigger" food. I've never had a sweet tooth so I don't know if it works... But I've read that some people eat a sour pickle when they have a craving for sweets, and the pickle seems to kill the craving. I've also read that some people take a daily amino acid supplement called "glutamine" that seems to help with the cravings.

Good luck! And stick with it! I'm sure you'll feel much better when you've beaten this addiction.
I know I don't have a problem with soda just sweet snacks that is why I think I should not even make any low carb sweets for the first few weeks. Plus I love a little wine every night so cutting out both just has to be my top priority. Thanks for the suggest I will look for it today.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #1812
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome back! =)

I've been on and off Atkins as well. I am absolutely a sugar addict, so I cannot eat ANY sugar. None. It is a trigger and once I start I cannot stop. I weaned myself off slowly using artificial sweetners until I could stop even those. There were a lot of moments in the beginning where I just white-knuckled it through a craving, but honestly if you cut out all sugars completely, the cravings fade until they are gone completely. You can do it! We are here for you! Good luck!!
Glad to hear there is hope! Trying to just not bring it into the house. But BF who happens to not gain an ounce eats tons of sugar snacks especially when we are on the wagon of no alcohol. So I have to stay extra strong to survive! Just hoping to get through week one successful!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1813
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Whoa, Nelly, it has been a heck of a month! Actually, it's been more than a month since my last progress update. So here's what happened in the last month + 1 week since I was last weighed and measured (on 31 May).

Monthly Weight History
8 July (today): 141.5

I'm currently in Chicago. So my weight was taken on a different scale from the scale on which all of my previous weights were taken. And my measurements were taken by a different trainer than the one who took all of my previous measurements. Both trainers are total pros -- I've known them both forever -- so I would stake my life that the measurements are correct.

But the scale weight may be misleading because: (1.) I was weighed in before today's workout and I haven't worked out for the past two weeks, so the level of hydration in my muscle tissue may be significantly lower; (2.) I had a colon-cleansing treatment at the hospital last week, as an emergency procedure, so I may be carrying less waste material than usual; (3.) I had three days where I didn't eat any food at all because I was sick for a few days and because I didn't have access to food while I was traveling to Chicago, so I don't really know what's going on with my metabolism right now; finally (4.) I weighed in on a totally different scale than I've previously used.

I'm currently 6.5 pounds from goal. Can you believe that?!?! I'm not *counting* on my current weight being accurate, though, because I think the layoff from training may have artificially lowered my scale weight. So, let's see how much I weigh one month from today when I weigh in on the day that I return from vacation.

I have continued to lose weight in my hips this month -- *sigh* -- which unfortunately reflects the continued flattening of my butt. But I did lose another quarter inch from my waist, which is encouraging. And I lost another inch from my left thigh. I am now a very comfortable misses size 6 -- I never thought I would say those words again -- so I can wear a gorgeous pair of jeans to Italy that one of my good friends gave me! My friend is a photo stylist and he begged for these jeans for me from the designer at a photo shoot -- they are SO baller and I'm super excited that I can actually wear them!

I don't have photos for this update because I'm spending the summer at my parents' house and I haven't figured out a way to tell my old school Haitian dad that I need to take photos of my body to post on the internet. He WILL freak out! And he will be completely convinced that a Law & Order: SVU-style stalker will see my photos and kill me in some weird crime because of the internet.

So I'm explain things to my dad tomorrow. And after I calm him down, I'll take pictures in my vacation swimsuit, to compare these photos to previous photos in a similar swimsuit. I'm excited to see the difference!

Cheers, all!
Your numbers are inspiring and encouraging!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #1814
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Welcome back. The first week is hard. But make the total break from sugar. Once you do, you will feel better. Have plenty of food in your house and eat as much as you want. Don't let yourself get hungry during the transition from a carb filled diet to a low carb diet. Do not cheat. You need to accept, sugar is not your friend. I know, other people do it without issue. But if you were one of those people you wouldn't be here. I truely look at this just like an alcoholic looks a liquor, just a little is never acceptable. Good luck on your journey.
So true there are many forms of addiction and sugar and wine are mine! But I am going to take it one day at a time.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #1815
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't have photos for this update because I'm spending the summer at my parents' house and I haven't figured out a way to tell my old school Haitian dad that I need to take photos of my body to post on the internet. He WILL freak out!
So the first thing I did was scroll down to see the pictures first THEN read the details, because that's what I always do. And I was like HEY! I want PICTURES! haha. But your post about your dad literally made me LOL at my desk at work! Ok ok, so no pictures right now. But HOLY COW!!! That is some AWESOME loss, both weight AND inches. 10 inches off your hips! Size 6!!!!!! I swear you were just in a size 12 not that long ago!

You are totally my thinspiration
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #1816
Senior LCF Member

So, went to the Dr this morning for results of extensive testing on my gallbladder. Seems it wasn't my gallbladder at all, it was a totally different organ with no relation what-so-ever to my WOE. Hah! In your FACE Dr. Vegan!!

Back on Induction baby! =) WooHoo!!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #1817
Senior LCF Member

I have not, in the past two decades, had a mirror in my house that shows anything lower than my chest. By design. When I walk downtown, I deliberately do not look at my reflection in the windows. I have a guest room that I only go into twice a day to check on my birds and care for them. Today I installed a floor length mirror in that room. I looked in it. I didn't look away in horror (but neither was I impressed). I think it's time for me to start looking at my body, my WHOLE body, not just from the waist up. I might post a picture, just so I can start to see how my body has been changing. I will have to try to find a before picture. I'm not sure I have any. I think everything was pretty well destroyed. I tend to be very thorough.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #1818
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have not, in the past two decades, had a mirror in my house that shows anything lower than my chest. By design. When I walk downtown, I deliberately do not look at my reflection in the windows. I have a guest room that I only go into twice a day to check on my birds and care for them. Today I installed a floor length mirror in that room. I looked in it. I didn't look away in horror (but neither was I impressed). I think it's time for me to start looking at my body, my WHOLE body, not just from the waist up. I might post a picture, just so I can start to see how my body has been changing. I will have to try to find a before picture. I'm not sure I have any. I think everything was pretty well destroyed. I tend to be very thorough.
That sounds so EMPOWERING! And that sounds like a big step towards taking care of yourself, looking at your whole self and appreciating what you see.

You're a very cute person! Everybody has figure *issues* -- things they love and things they dislike about their bodies -- but it's not fair to you to let the things that you *don't love* take priority over all of the beauty. In my opinion...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #1819
Major LCF Poster!

Monthly Progress Addendum: Photos

I took photos today, as noted yesterday. I took the current photos in the only mirror in my parents' house that I could use for a full-length shot, so I'm going to need to work on making that situation work better because the new photos are not *great*...

The "before" photos are from vacation in Maui, while I was at about 220-230 pounds. The current photo is at 141.5 pounds, as noted yesterday. I still have a tummy *pooch*, as you can see, but I can totally live with that. I started this program to become stronger and healthier, not to become a Sports Illustrated model. Just sayin...

FRONT VIEW:

SIDE VIEW:

For the sake of consistency, here are the stats:

Monthly Weight History
8 July (yesterday): 141.5 pounds

Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #1820
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So, went to the Dr this morning for results of extensive testing on my gallbladder. Seems it wasn't my gallbladder at all, it was a totally different organ with no relation what-so-ever to my WOE. Hah! In your FACE Dr. Vegan!!

Back on Induction baby! =) WooHoo!!
That's CRAZY! It's great that you don't have to have your gallbladder removed. But it sucks that you had to go through the unnecessary stress of a bad preliminary diagnosis.

I have no problem with anyone's chosen dietary approach. I know a lot of people who follow many different non-mainstream eating approaches, so I know that there are many different paths to good health.

But I really can't stand it when people decide that *their* chosen approach is the *ideal* approach for everyone on the planet. Following Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution has been WONDERFUL for me. But I can't say that every other person who needs to lose weight needs to do this diet. I can't even say that every person who does an Atkins diet needs to do *my* version of the Atkins program. We're all individuals.

My old, hippie dad is a *cool* vegan. And his old, hippie friends are also all *cool* vegans who believe in letting everyone find their own path. But A LOT of the young vegans who are in some of my dad's groups drive me absolutely bat-freaking-crazy with their egocentrism about how everyone who isn't on their exact same dietary path is destroying his or her body and ravaging the Earth.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #1821
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
Trillex, 93 POUNDS IS FANTASTIC! I am DREAMING of that day.

Thank you everyone for the fat bomb suggestions.

I thought I hit my first stall because the scale seemed to be going UP despite my continuous tracking and counting--but then, my lovely TOM popped up--and I realized I must have been retaining water. It's still not really *moving* down, but there are decimal points of change..so I'm hoping that things level out once my lovely visitor decides to GO.

I'm going camping (but not really camping, since we'll be in a cabin with electricity--but "camping" none the less) from Wednesday-Friday--so I won't have internet access. I'm a little nervous that I won't be able to stick to my regularly scheduled food intake, but I've prepared devilled eggs, tuna salad, burgers to grill, baked chicken (with the skin) heavy cream for my coffee, a whole big bowl of already scrambled eggs, and I've cut up some cheeses. I'm hopeful that I can fend off any cookies, smores, and pasta salads. I'm also hopeful that I can fend off bears and raccoons and other animals that live in the wild, but I'm less concerned about the animals than I am of creeping carb-y temptations.

Wish me luck, guys!
Good luck and STAY STRONG while you're camping!

The scale will change, if you just stick with the plan and keep doing what you already know that you need to do. If you give your body enough time -- and if you stay strong -- you'll be looking back at what seems like an IMPOSSIBLE number of pounds lost!

It has taken me longer than a year to get this close to my goal weight, but it has honestly been very *simple*. I've just stuck with the program, and I've learned that my body is genuinely satisfied without eating enough food to become stuffed (per Dr Atkins's instructions), and as a result I've burned a lot of my excess bodyfat. It hasn't been *easy* -- I've stayed on point and tracked every mouthful of my food intake every day for more than a year -- but it hasn't been *difficult* or complicated because I've eaten when I'm hungry and I've been eating foods that I like. I've just had to make sure that the foods I enjoy come from the Atkins lists.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #1822
Senior LCF Member

That's exactly it Trillex. I have zero objection to anyone else's WOE. I somehow managed to raise a vegetarian (not vegan). I just think it is an abuse of power as a Dr to try to convince, coerse or intimidate someone else into changing their way of eating to suit your own beliefs.

When I started seeing this Dr I was over 230 lbs and growing. I had a LOT of health problems. I was on at least a dozen different medications. Now I'm off every single medication but one, and it is not for anything related to my weight or co-morbidities. I could barely get off the couch most days (except for work, and even then I was always taking sick days) Now I'm climbing 14,000 ft + mountains and Friday was the first sick day I've taken in a long long time.

But still he remains unconvinced that this WOE works for me and will not support my decision to remain on Atkins. And I'm mad at myself that it was so easy for me to believe that my WOE caused me to be that sick. After all this time, I should know better.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1823
Senior LCF Member

Awesome Trillex. Though I am sure that last drop was done the hard way!

I went to the doctor for the first time since starting Atkinsa couple weeks back. Went back and got the test results today.

I am out of the diabetes range! Blood sugar is well within the normal range!

When I went a couple weeks ago, my blood pressure was low. So I have taken half doses of my blood pressure medicine over the past three weeks and my blood pressure is still normal. I will be completely off blood pressure meds within the next couple of months

Lost 82 pounds since last visit

The only bad news is my cholesterol is high. I don't understand it and don't have any previous data to compare it to. So for now I need to educate myself on the subject.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #1824
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
great results Steve!!!!!!! Congratz!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #1825
Major LCF Poster!

I go to the doctor tomorrow, full fasting labs are in the works. Want to see the results. I am already down from 40 mg of my blood pressure meds to 10 mg... so that is a good thing. Get to tell the doctor I'm down to 10. Can't wait for that conversation. They seem to get an attitude when you change things on your own even though you know what your body is doing and they only see you every 6 months. Oh well don't like this doctor much to begin with. He hasn't made a good impression when the first time he sees me he thinks he knows so much he wants to change how, when and how much of my bi-polar meds I take. I smiled in his face and did what has worked for me for 8 years. Anyway we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #1826
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grateful_Love
Stats: 272/235/170 (5'1'')
Start Date: Restart May 2014
Trillex, today I prepared enough devilled eggs and egg salad to feed an army, hubs was nice enough to season up some hamburger meat for me (with very careful instructions as to when I should flip them that I will probably ignore because I cook everything with blood in it until it's *almost* a brick because the thought of "rare" scares me, lol) and I pre-spread celery stalks with cream cheese and onion powder.

I also got a package of pre-cooked bacon, and I made my first coconut oil fat bombs ever..and I plan to eat a variety of turkey roll-ups.

I almost think I'll do BETTER without a kitchen to go on a scavenger hunt in. I just have to say no to everything tortilla related, ignore the s'mores, and stay away from all of the chips. I think I'm going to be too busy dipping the extra celery into my various salads and bacon to be too tempted (I hope). I'm also kind of worried about the "but all that fat can't be good for you!" and the "do you even LIKE celery?" kind of talk that I'm going to experience.

cmcd1070--I just knew it! I don't know anything about gall bladders, but you sounded so sure of your body that I just knew he was wrong. Hooray for your gallbladder! and I hope your other organ fares well, too. :-)

And Stevie, I already told Trillex this--but 82 pounds is like a dream number to me. Congratulations! Keep us posted on the cholesterol information--I've never been tested for cholesterol, diabetes--anything. I don't have insurance, and I don't want to pay for someone to tell me just how unhealthy I am. I'm hoping that LC will help me lessen the chances of any of those scary words that come with obesity.

Laura, LOL @ the guy wanting to change your bi-polar meds. Since he clearly knows you so well, it's obvious the first thing that he'd like to change is medication that levels your mood! Sigh. I wish the medical world actually *conversed* across their specialized areas.

Good luck!

Have a great day everyone! :-)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #1827
Major LCF Poster!

the place I go has both medical and mental health in the same building. I got lucky and got an appointment downstairs with one of the best doctors they have in the mental health department. He made me feel much better about my meds (that he doesn't want to change). Have to change them at the end of the year when patient assistance will stop providing my med. I just don't have 1600.00 a month to spend on a med. Will cross that bridge when it's time unless I have some kind of insurance coverage that pays for meds.

Oh and exciting news!!!!!!!!! Steve this is the part where you go LA LA LA LA... and avert your eyes. My nice panties that were so cute on ,but I was too fat to wear, fit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #1828
Senior LCF Member

Trillex - WOW is all I can say! You have done an outstanding job and look amazing! I have a friend who had by pass surgery and it took her the same amount of time to lose the same amount of weight. After talking to her she really was on a low carb diet. Her doctor emphasized on protein, protein, protein.
Grateful Love - I have seen these fat bombs posted before can you share please? I picked up some coconut oil the other day but have yet to figure out what to use it for.
Laura Davis - I have a pair of those waiting for me too! Congrats!

This is just day two for me and very proud that I have not strayed from the menu at all. My ketosis sticks aren't turning yet but I may be cleansing from this weekend still. Down 2lbs so far so I can't complain and not feeling overwhelmed that I am missing out. Weekends are my downfall so hope to see some really good numbers and a purple stick to help me stay focused!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #1829
Senior LCF Member

I use the coconut oil to cook with. There seems to be coconut oil with and without flavoring. What I mean, is they add lots or little flavor to the food not artificially flavored. So you may want to try a couple of brands.

A lot of people add coconut oil to their morning coffee. (Be careful if you do this, the oil traps the heat in the coffee and I tend to burn my mouth when I do this unless I blow on it before each drink.)

The way I use it most, is just taking a teaspoon full each morning. When I take it, I seem to be satisfied all day and never tend to get hungry.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #1830
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Love View Post
I'm also kind of worried about the "but all that fat can't be good for you!" and the "do you even LIKE celery?" kind of talk that I'm going to experience.
You sound VERY prepared for your trip, good job!! =) Everyone else is probably going to want to eat YOUR food, rather than the reverse!

I worried about that same thing when I took a trip to CA in April. I worried how I would respond to turning down the specialty ordered cupcakes and catering at the reception. I got very good advice from this group on how to respond to those kinds of talks.

But as it turned out, everyone was so busy doing their own thing, no one even noticed that I didn't eat the carbs, that my plate only had proteins and fats. No one noticed I didn't eat those expensive designer cupcakes. It was a total NON issue, thankfully!! I felt pretty silly afterwards, thinking everyone would be so overly concerned with what I was doing. =)
Closed Thread